How is this even possible that there's sooo many people here that consider themselves experts (senior members with even 5 years of experience), give advices to others but in the question "have you ever had a hair transplant" their answer is "NO"....?????:confused:

Can somebody explain that to me ???

The premise of your question is kind of silly. Would you only want heart surgery from someone who underwent heart surgery? Or would you prefer it from someone who has taken the time to educate themselves on every pertinent facet of the procedure. While it's true that people who have undergone a procedure bring a unique perspective, this in no way makes them any more of an authority if an authority at all.

My transplant didn't give me any knowledge I didn't already know. Your pretty much knocked out and it's not like your an active participant besides laying there, so, I would trust the guy with years of research over the guy with 3 months of research and a transplant.

Some guys aren't ready yet for some reason but are very knowledgeable.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Empirestate,

I love your question and Gram, your answer is superb. It's unbeatable and perfect. I had my first surgery in 1988 and my last in 2013. Inbetween, I posted on Hairlosshelp for 500-600 tilmes (banned) and here for another 400-600 posts before my last surgery in 2013. I guess I am an "expert". How much time, money, emotionally charged wasted energy I have wasted in pursuit of truth and/or just blasting away recklessly at reps, evangalicals ec.,, and yet I got royally screwed in 2013 at the HT shop. So I have to say, alittle knowledge is good and bad- use your hunches wisely.

I don't know whether I am beyond the bounds of rational usefulness or not, but I agree with Gram and yet I also agree with you only so far aa the short term. The key is that only those who have been burned enough post as 'victims' ...young guys inow all about it. They see victims everyday and already know what they do not wanna be. So just in case you are losing your hair at a young age, I just say, avoid a strip scar ifyu can. You will be better off in the long run.

The moniker "expert" has varying levels of legitimacy in the context of the question asked.There are people that have spent time reading so they may be "paper" experts with no practical experience. This in effect makes them experts on nothing more than the experience of others. There are people that have had procedures so, in some cases, they may be considered by some to be surgical experts but this can only go as far as their own experience. Rarely have the two melded into one. Being an expert is more than the sum of the two parts mentioned. It involves seeing multiple angles of an issue and using logic combined with experience as opposed to emotion and hearsay to convey legitimate information.

The moniker "expert" has varying levels of legitimacy in the context of the question asked.There are people that have spent time reading so they may be "paper" experts with no practical experience. This in effect makes them experts on nothing more than the experience of others. There are people that have had procedures so, in some cases, they may be considered by some to be surgical experts but this can only go as far as their own experience. Rarely have the two melded into one. Being an expert is more than the sum of the two parts mentioned. It involves seeing multiple angles of an issue and using logic combined with experience as opposed to emotion and hearsay to convey legitimate information.

"This in effect makes them experts on nothing more than the experience of others" and that's exactly what I'm talking about :)

You can read books about skiing all life bt one day you will have to put them on your feet and do it yourself.

And maybe then you can teach people about it and tell them what to do.

Hello empire.

Are you saying that someone who advises you about ht their point of view is worthless if they have not undergone a procedure?

Have a good day

"This in effect makes them experts on nothing more than the experience of others" and that's exactly what I'm talking about :)

You can read books about skiing all life bt one day you will have to put them on your feet and do it yourself.

And maybe then you can teach people about it and tell them what to do.

Hello empire.

Are you saying that someone who advises you about ht their point of view is worthless if they have not undergone a procedure?

Have a good day

"point of view" ???? To me this subject is too serious to give people "theories and points of view" , I need a practical real-life advices.

Seems a strange stance but then again I don't know to what extent you believe this is a appropriate stance.

Eg someone who has never driven tells someone they have seen speeding round town to slow down but the advice is ignored.The driver is then killed in a accident due to speeding,

Would the driver have been better to take on board what was being said and remain alive?

Listening to advice whether it is from a expert or someone who is not is no great hardship especially if they are taking the time to try and help you.

But then again this is just my theory which you may or may not think irrelevant.

Have a good day

"point of view" ???? To me this subject is too serious to give people "theories and points of view" , I need a practical real-life advices.

With regards to the speeding analogy, an expert is an expert when they know why one must slow down and how soon based on the variables associated with differing vehicles and driving conditions. Simply saying one is going too fast is relative and generally easy. An expert would be able to make the statement that one should slow down based on the make, year and model of the vehicle and how the inertial mass will be slowed based on the braking system known to come with the vehicle from the factory and if the braking system is the actual system from the factory to begin with or if it is a third party braking system from Stoptech, Brembo, Wilwood, etc. The tires that are used, weather conditions, crash test ratings as determined by the NHTSA will also help to determine the survivability of a crash if one does not slow down and gets into an accident. An expert would know this from experience dealing with such situations on various levels and doing so with all kinds of makes and models of vehicles, stock from the factory and customized with aftermarket parts. This is what separates an expert, such as Carrol Shelby, warning someone to slow down from a lay person keyboard cowboy that might have some general common sense.

I don't see the word 'expert' written very often in HT forums. I see 'vets' more often.

The knowledge one wants that speaks to the reality for any one patient/any one situation to help them make an educated guess is pretty nebulous because of the different viewpoints, experiences and practices of the pundits most likely to have it and the shifting sands of the HT business landscape.

What are the inexorable, untouchable facts? - those that apply regardless of context? I don't think experience can answer that wholly satisfy that kind of question. You just have to skim through boards for the last fifteen years to see how these 'facts' have 'changed' or 'evolved'.

Docs know best, but we can't expect to get their impartial expertise - that would be a fantasy.

So we need to use triangulation, and that requires debate and argument of some sort - or at least 'contested facts' being ground up against one another.

Being rational about hairloss is hard!

With regards to the speeding analogy, an expert is an expert when they know why one must slow down and how soon based on the variables associated with differing vehicles and driving conditions. Simply saying one is going too fast is relative and generally easy. An expert would be able to make the statement that one should slow down based on the make, year and model of the vehicle and how the inertial mass will be slowed based on the braking system known to come with the vehicle from the factory and if the braking system is the actual system from the factory to begin with or if it is a third party braking system from Stoptech, Brembo, Wilwood, etc. The tires that are used, weather conditions, crash test ratings as determined by the NHTSA will also help to determine the survivability of a crash if one does not slow down and gets into an accident. An expert would know this from experience dealing with such situations on various levels and doing so with all kinds of makes and models of vehicles, stock from the factory and customized with aftermarket parts. This is what separates an expert, such as Carrol Shelby, warning someone to slow down from a lay person keyboard cowboy that might have some general common sense.

Whoa ! you just totally blew my mind :eek:

Well put joe and all true but never the less the lay person was still correct in advising the driver to slow down.

I guess what im trying to say is that there are many levels of advice that one can either take on or dismiss this is up to the individual seeking advice.

Am i a expert in ht? No

Are you {joe} i would answer yes based on your time working at clinics within the ht industry and having undergone ht procedures.

Are ht doctors experts i would answer yes.

Are ht doctors who have no experience at the other end of the knife and have never experienced all the feelings associated with hair loss again i would answer yes.

If somebody asks for advise i would willing give it if i thought it of any use but if i had no knowledge i would advise them to seek the opinion of someone with the relevant knowledge for the information they require.

It does not always follow though that it has to be someone deemed a expert to give good advice.

I am a huge fan of the ufc but have never fought in mma but yet at last weeks event i was 22nd in the world out of some 30.000 participants in the fantasy game,Does this make me a expert no it just makes me a little more knowledgeable than some.others.

The way i see it listen to the advise then either heed it or dismiss it.

Obviously empire is looking for advice from people who have undergone a ht.

Makes perfect sense but i think it is up to your peers to determine whether one is a expert or not.

Have a good day

If I had listened to so called 'experts' In this domain id now be walking around with an unwanted strip scar on my head.

I'm glad i didn't . The key is not rushing in to anything educating yourself and become your own expert while consultating with numerous reputable doc. And taking years if required of daily reading on forums and of others people's experiences.

Like any other open market place the cultivation of your own knowledge will be key independent and sound to make the best informed decision.

As balding blogger aptly points out, it's not about seeking "expert" advice. Rather, you should formulate a hair restoration plan based on your own research, needs, and expectations. This can and should incorporate advice culled from other forum members as well as recommended surgeons you consult with. But ultimately you need to make the decisions based on what's in your best interest.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I don't feel you need to have experienced something to be knowledgeable about it of course it does give a unique perspective but sometimes you can then become clouded by your own experience and assume this is standard for all procedures. I do get what empirestate is saying someone who has been through a procedure can give factual details not just from reading or researching.

I do feel that there are some very knowledgeable people on forums like this and this would include individuals that have not had surgery. Some people choose to learn, watch and listen very carefully and there are some very dedicated people on this forums doing just that.

Others have jumped into surgery without learning much at all some got lucky and chose a decent clinic whilst others got burnt. These people might be able to let you know about their experience of that surgery good, bad or indifferent but know very little when it comes to the details it just depends on the individual and their ability or interest to learn about the these details.

There have been great football coaches who manage/d at the top level of the game without ever having played at the top level so many analogies that can be quoted but all irrelevant as we are talking about whether someone can be knowledgeable about hair loss/surgery without going through it themselves.

I don't think you should ignore the information of these posters just because they haven't got first hand experience.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

If I had listened to so called 'experts' In this domain id now be walking around with an unwanted strip scar on my head.

A strip scar is the mark of a real man. That is why I am Scar5 . I know five times more than anybody else on this forum. However, I am humble enough to accept that it takes an expert to know this.

What happens when you call the rep from your car wreck, and the car crash expert tells you their knowledge has evolved?

A strip scar is the mark of a real man. That is why I am Scar5 . I know five times more than anybody else on this forum. However, I am humble enough to accept that it takes an expert to know this.

What happens when you call the rep from your car wreck, and the car crash expert tells you their knowledge has evolved?

Ah that old evolved opinion... ! I'm actually planning on cheating on my wife and when i get caught i am going to say my opinion on marriage evolved.!