Very excited....just reserved March 31 surgery with Dr. Konior

matt3480

I am opting for FUT....and the initial estimate is 2,000 grafts in my frontal third and then another 1,000 for temple points and to lessen the width of my forehead (I've never really had much of temple points...even when I was younger....and this makes my hair loss appear worse as it makes my forehead wider).

I did a lot of research and Dr. Konior consistently was one of top doctors that everyone mentioned. Lucky for me, he also happens to be 35 minutes away. I had a consultation with Tom (Dr. Konior's rep) and Dr. Konior back in November. Dr. Konior thought I was a good candidate and he thought 3,000 grafts would be a good number (keeping in mind that he wanted to guard against shock loss and also due to the fact I am not on Propecia). My whole family has naturally pretty fine hair (however, my father and 40-year old brother have most all of their hair still so I got the short end of that stick) and my donor area/density is probably a bit less than average (density estimated to be 40 on the sides and 40-60 in the back)....so unfortunately I don't have that thick, unlimited donor supply some have. His goal density-wise for the transplanted regions is around 30. I debated for a good month about whether to do this and finally made the appointment today.

I first noticed my hair loss back when I was probably 18-19 years old (I am going to be 35 in 3 weeks). I've been wearing hats probably since I was 20 years old and using concealers for probably 8 years now (Dermmatch) but my hair is at a point that they aren't helping much....especially the hairline and I'm just tired of using them. This could literally change my life.....

I'm curious what some of you guys think about getting a transplant and not being on Propecia? I have done a lot of research on Propecia and I know it does work for many people, but there is no denying that some people do suffer side effects that have continued after getting off the drug...and I just don't want to take that risk, even if it's just a 2% chance. I'm using Rogaine foam and Nizoral so hopefully two out of the big three will help. I guess I'm also willing to risk the fact that I'm not going to go all the way bald on top. I just shaved my head last week (I mean all the way....with a Gillette razor) and although I can pull that look off, it's not really me. Even though I've been losing my hair for 15 years, I seem to still have a pretty good amount in the middle area and crown. I do probably have some thinning in the crown but it looked a bit worse because I have a cowlick back there. However, after shaving my head, it appears I have a little bit more density than I thought I had back there as opposed to a thin/bald area I thought I'd see. I would think if I were going to go all the way bald on top that I would have had SIGNIFICANT loss in the middle areas and crown by now.

Anyways, I'll be updating this with pictures and updates as the process goes on. I'll get some current pics of my hair loss up in a week or two (I still have barely any stubble on my head and it would be hard to tell the state of my hair with it this short).

Edited by matt3480

Hi Matt! Congratulations on scheduling a date with Dr. Konior. My research has also shown him to be an excellent surgeon with very consistent and natural results.

Out of curiosity, where are you on the Norwood scale?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

OK, here are some pics I took today to show my hair currently. This is with 1 week of growth after shaving my head all the way (with Gillette). Where on the Norwood do you think I am?

You can see on the side profile that I really have no temple point and never really have. I also took some pics of the crown....I have a cowlick back there and when my hair is grown out (combined with my fine hair), it appears to be thinning a bit back there. However, based on these pics and examination.....I don't seem to really be thinning back there much at all. It's really just the front. I shaved my head the last time about 2.5 years ago and I don't really think I've gotten any worse since.

Just curious on your guys' thoughts. I know some would say having a HT without being on Propecia is stupid....but I'm banking on the fact I've been losing my hair for 15 years and I have a feeling if I were going to go to a NW6 or NW7 that I would be in much worse shape than I am now after 15 years.

The red line in pic 5 and the top of my finger in pic 6 is where my hairline should start.

hair1.jpg.1db9059881f9f84cb035e64e9437b0b2.jpg

hair2.jpg.22040edbf91d73fc601d0f2c235e6327.jpg

hair3.jpg.0048d4a697f82d6590516b5677813052.jpg

hair4.jpg.19f4204783399e644960dee8b83565c1.jpg

hair5.jpg.655e26978efdcb3c55b56720193f00a8.jpg

hair6.jpg.cf3cc5d03abdb458e3e4be547d3e663a.jpg

Wishing you all the best Matt..

I'd guess a NW4A with the potential of NW5-6 later in life. You appear to have that front-to-back balding pattern which is quite 'good' as far as hair loss is concerned.

You could try a small dose of Propecia and see how you get on (2 pills a week like I do, or maybe even just one).

I can't tolerate regular doses of the stuff as it gives me temporary headaches. However, if the lesser dose slows miniaturisation then it is better than nothing. I don't feel I have lost any hair the last 2 years I've been on it.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Congrats and good luck.

I personally would strongly recommend finasteride as you will surely lose more hair. Life is long in terms of hair. If you have been losing for fifteen years and you are a nw4, you could be looking at a natural nw6 in 7 years if you're loss is linear.

You could have more native hair in 7 years than you have now, plus your transplant if you get on fin. If you have done a lot of research, you know that not only do you have to consider that hair that you'll lose, but also the hair you could gain. That could be a large gap.

I recommend emailing Dr. Konior. He is very approachable and responds personally. Have a conversation with him about it. That's what you're paying him for.

Good luck to you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would say your a 4 pushing 5 on the NW scale.

While your hair buzzed down like that rub some Min / Rogain all over you scalp this will be much easyer for the stuff to soak in.

If you won't take Meds I would advise you to at least try some of the naural supplements out there, they are never going to be as effective as FDA approved Drugs but trying to keep your DHT levels down may carry you a while as there maybe some more loss in the future even though you gone through the biggest battle with DHT but it don't stop the natural hair you have left.

Just have that at mind to protect your investment.

You have picked a great Dr & I'm sure he will leave you in good shape then the rest is upto you.

Good luck.

Have to disagree, don't think I am a 4 or 5, at all. That would present with significant balding in the crown, which I don't have.

I've debated on Propecia and it just isn't worth the risk. I'm 34....I want more children. What if there is even a 1% chance you could become infertile on it....or lose your sex drive for good? The 2% sides thing is BS....it seems sides are very regular with this stuff. It really seems to be the exception to the rule if you take it regularly and don't suffer sides. I was on anxiety medication a few years ago and it did the same thing.....KILLED my sex drive. I got off of it because it wasn't worth it, at all. Some people seem to have great genetics and can take medications (regardless of what it is) and not suffer sides. Others seem to react normally and suffer sides. I seem to be one of those people.

I don't doubt that Propecia works....but honestly, studies have proven it to do a lot of other unwanted stuff, too. It's definitely a reward/risk assessment. I'm not too sure I'll care about my hair in 10 years.....I'll be 45 years old and not a kid anymore, you know? No way around it. I think (like a lot of us) I am so concerned about it now because it's definitely one of the first signs of aging....and for me, at least, has been a confidence killer and just a PIA. I'm trying to find a wife here...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21418145/?i=2&from=/24959691/related

Edited by matt3480

Here is your pattern of loss right now. While you don't have significant balding you have a significant pattern. Having this pattern, especially off meds, basically guarantees that you will lose significantly in those areas. This is why people are referring to you as a nw4, because you are a patterned nw4. This will likely go sooner rather than later without meds. 2 years, 5 years, maybe 8 years, who knows, but it's not going to last an awful long time without meds. You may even make it to 45, but I feel confident that you'll care about your hair then too. Based on the photos, these areas looked miniaturized (there is always lighting that could make it look worse it better)

It sounds like you have your mind made up about it, but I wanted to give you an honest opinion about it since you asked. I don't want to try to push meds on anyone. It's a personal decision. But I don't think that not taking needs should be down played. It's a pretty big decision if you are having a procedure, especially for the under 50 crowd.

5b32e3d61f2d0_2015-01-1620_10_44.jpg.fe31f7353bd451a7386d88330de04368.jpg

Screenshot_2015-01-16-20-09-50.jpg.f9c28f78c8f82caae474202fec8e402e.jpg

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well said spanker.

But I notice spanker that you mention this 50 yr age a few times now & wonder what is the reason for that age?

Is there some stats that men over 50yrs old loose a lot less hair than guys say under 40 & DHT has slowed down to a snails pace?

Just wondering that's all.

Well said spanker.

But I notice spanker that you mention this 50 yr age a few times now & wonder what is the reason for that age?

Is there some stats that men over 50yrs old loose a lot less hair than guys say under 40 & DHT has slowed down to a snails pace?

Just wondering that's all.

Nothing magical about it, and I think a 50 year old should still take it, it's just the risk of a 50 Norwood 3 that wants a bump in the hair line is less at risk than a younger person to see major future loss if they don't already have an established pattern of significant loss. Also as you age past your mid thirties, your dht starts to drop naturally. But again, I think all ages see a benefit, even if it is just for stabilization. Let me mention again that it is not a must. Lots of people get transplants that are not on meds. But I think people not on meds are generally more likely to need to come back sooner for a boost and they are at a higher risk of running into a donor/recipient size issue.

Edited by Spanker

View Spanker's Website

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I reversed course and decided to give Propecia a trial run to see if I experience any sides. I am going to be taking 1/2 pill a day (as studies have shown the 1mg effectiveness is not much more than 0.50mg).....and hoping this will help with hopefully experiencing no sides. I feel I can be a really good responder to Propecia....I think it's worth a trial run.

I'm very happy to hear that. When I went on fin, I went with the mindset that I absolutely would not get sides, and I think that helps. Could I have gotten them? Sure. But I feel like my mindset going in reduced the chances of psychological sides.

View Spanker's Website

Glad to hear. I met with dr. Konior and Tom a couple months ago among with a bunch of other Drs everyone claiming to be one of the best. Yes I have hair but I am thinning, and I agree with you who cares over 50. Now till 50 that's about all I care about. Anyway dr k was super cool and he is on my list for top three. My question is do you have pic of your hair before you shaved your head?? I was recommended getting 15 to 2 fut from all the Drs including dr k

Spanker, what is your view on generic (namely Dr. Reddy) versus Propecia? I've read from some people that Dr. Reddys caused them to somehow lose a lot of the gains they felt they made while on Propecia. I've seen others post how their HT doctors were skeptical of the generic brands and thus only prescribed Propecia.

I was prescribed Dr. Reddy but after seeing some of these posts.....I figured that I wanted to go with the real stuff for my trial run, at least.

2youngforthis.....my pics wouldn't help because I was using concealers and it made my hair "look" much better than it is. Upon my hair growing out for the last 2 weeks since I posted the pics in my original post, I no doubt have some crown thinning and thinning in the very front (so I probably am a NW6 pattern like some had said). However, I don't have any per se, bald spots, on my crown or front (besides my temples obviously) so I'm hoping I'm a good responder to Propecia and that it thickens those 2 areas up back to almost normal.....and then Dr. Konior can use all of my grafts for the temple areas.

I'm very happy to hear that. When I went on fin, I went with the mindset that I absolutely would not get sides, and I think that helps. Could I have gotten them? Sure. But I feel like my mindset going in reduced the chances of psychological sides.

Yep I was in the same sort of mind set but when the Mrs cut up the 5mg in 4 pcs i. Just. Said to her that's a joke what the hell is that going to do....& till this day I still think of it that way to stay clear of the mind games the brain plays tricks on you.

Good on you matt3480 for at least taking a shot.

Hope it works out for you.

Spanker, what is your view on generic (namely Dr. Reddy) versus Propecia? I've read from some people that Dr. Reddys caused them to somehow lose a lot of the gains they felt they made while on Propecia. I've seen others post how their HT doctors were skeptical of the generic brands and thus only prescribed Propecia.

I was prescribed Dr. Reddy but after seeing some of these posts.....I figured that I wanted to go with the real stuff for my trial run, at least.

2youngforthis.....my pics wouldn't help because I was using concealers and it made my hair "look" much better than it is. Upon my hair growing out for the last 2 weeks since I posted the pics in my original post, I no doubt have some crown thinning and thinning in the very front (so I probably am a NW6 pattern like some had said). However, I don't have any per se, bald spots, on my crown or front (besides my temples obviously) so I'm hoping I'm a good responder to Propecia and that it thickens those 2 areas up back to almost normal.....and then Dr. Konior can use all of my grafts for the temple areas.

Try Cipla, it's made under license by Merck.

Thanks ontop.....well, some of these people say they took one pill and then felt like their body was going crazy...and obviously I've now taken 2 days worth and feel fine....so that helps cancel some of these weirdos out whose side effects were all in their mind (I doubt you are going to experience sides after 1-2 pills unless it's in your mind).

I don't really know anything about Dr. Reddy vs generic fin, which is what I take. I know that I've seen done reps say that Propecia is better, which I'm skeptical about. I think that prior may take propecia more regularly because they don't have to mess with cutting it up.

I've held strong on my genetic finasteride which has a label use of reducing dht and helping with the prostate, so I'm but switching. So, I can't give you a definite scientific answer and can only say that my genetic has served me well. I don't think you can go wrong with propecia.

View Spanker's Website

Thanks ontop.....well, some of these people say they took one pill and then felt like their body was going crazy...and obviously I've now taken 2 days worth and feel fine....so that helps cancel some of these weirdos out whose side effects were all in their mind (I doubt you are going to experience sides after 1-2 pills unless it's in your mind).

Yep some people will get sides with a surgar tablet.

Try not to think about it.

I really can't blame people for not wanting to take something that messes with their hormones (i.e. something completely unnatural) because of something (hair loss) that is completely natural. It is akin to the proverbial sledgehammer and nut. We are smashing our bodies for the sake of keeping some hair!

I really can't blame people for not wanting to take something that messes with their hormones (i.e. something completely unnatural) because of something (hair loss) that is completely natural. It is akin to the proverbial sledgehammer and nut. We are smashing our bodies for the sake of keeping some hair!

I don't blame someone for not wanting to take propecia either, and just balding naturally. But there is nothing natural about getting a transplant and the rest falling out. If you want to go naturally, that's all good, but many people are better off that go natural in a medicinal sense to also go natural surgically, and by that I mean skip it or go way more conservative.

Edited by Spanker

View Spanker's Website

I think the most important thing is for each person to make an informed decision. Let's all be honest....Propecia is no joke medication-wise....nothing is that has the potential to affect your hormones, either temporarily or permanently. Accutane is the same way (which I also took....and sometimes wonder if I exacerbated my hair loss due to taking that....as I was on a high dose and was also when I started noticing hair issues).

I don't blame people who don't want to risk Propecia. It is a personal choice. Some people may be done having children, don't want children, etc. so side effects to that nature may not be a big deal. To others, the even slight potential might be huge.....and it helps people prioritize. It's just hair, especially as we get older.

I'm being smart by starting with a low dose. The studies have been done. It's been shown 1mg is probably a bit overkill for what most people are trying to achieve on Propecia (which is really just keep their existing hair and any regrowth is a bonus). Does it work better than, say....0.50mg? Yes, technically. However, is 77 hairs per square inch versus 61 hairs per square inch (over your baseline) that much better (those are the counts for 1mg vs 0.20 mg)? You are keeping your hair (and growing more) in BOTH cases.

I'm quite in tune with my body and notice little changes. I've definitely noticed watery semen and a bit of ball...meh, not sure if you characterize it as pain....but....a feel. I now realize it's similar to the same feel I had when I was taking saw palmetto (which makes sense). Now, it's been 2-3 days.....so I am going to see how it plays out over the next week or two. If it continues, no panic, I'll decrease to 0.25mg per day (which still has great effectiveness according to the studies) and see if the sides lessen (and many people taking this dosage has said their sides subsided). I don't need 90 hairs over baseline more per square inch with sides if I can achieve 45 hairs per square inch without sides (and that obviously is also keeping what I have).

I think the dosage is everything with this stuff....and people's bodies are different. I personally think it's risky to start at a high dose without taking a low dose test run (because if you gets sides with 0.50mg....you are going to get sides even worse at 1mg).

Sorry for the long rant....but I feel my reasoning is quite sound.

Edited by matt3480