Is FUT Really Better than FUE?

Hello my friends! I have two questions about FUT procedure:

1- I am looking for natural results; that is why, I am considering FUE because it is said to prove more natural results than FUT. However, FUT is said to result in better density than FUE. What is your opinion about these?

2- People who need multiple procedures are advised to have FUT as their first procedure and then continue with FUE. Do you think it is logical?

Looking forward to your replies.

They both are great methods for getting the head of hair you desire. Mickey85 has put together some good documentation on here regarding fue pros and cons, definitely worth a read.

I've had both methods and wouldn't say one is better than the other, it's just a case of what is best for you. We all have our own genetic blue print and some will be more suited to one over the other, some don't want the linear scar, or risks of stretching and will stay away from strip, some prefer shorter hair styles and prefer fue for that reason. Some need to maximise the amount of grafts they get and will strip out first before using there fue reserves.

The best thing to do is just research, speak to patients and docs and come up with what's best for your unique situation .

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

what's the Chord argument? Would you mind sharing?

1000's of discussions/arguments have arisen over the opening chord to The Beatles A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. At discussion boards, an audible GROAN is heard whenever it is brought up . Again and again and yet again. Like FUE/FUT!

here's just one.

Beatles hard days night mystery chord Solved with Fourier analysis

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

When it comes to producing the most natural results, it really comes down to the skill of the surgeon, not whether FUE or FUHT was the method.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

FUT gives better yield, I mean (if both techniques are flawless) same number of FUT grafts give better density/yield than FUE grafts.

But, FUT grafts are bulky, so the channels are larger, FUE generally produce more natural appearance especially over the front line.

No need to mention about the scar(s) after FUT or FUE, your choice, your preference.:)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/176801-fue-vs-fut-why-do-people-prefer-fue-over-fut-more-more.html

BUT, do not forget that:

All generalizations are wrong, including this one! Nietzsche....

FUE is better if you go to a world class doc. There are only a few of them in the world. Also per Theorem of Lorenzo,

While Dr. Lorenzo is in practice, FUE yields may be consistently obtained that are on par with, or arguably better than, the best possible FUT yields.

48339-Groundhog-day-meme-bill-Murray-fOu6.png

No difference in terms of natural appearance.

To maximize yield, you do both. I'm not sure how much the order really matters, there are benefits and drawbacks to doing either first. Find a surgeon that does both, and get their thoughts on which would work better for you.

I don't know about a "few" world class docs for FUE. Unfortunately, there is only one Lorenzo (there is a Ximena Vila though). Duni, Bisanga, Maras and Mwamba are hybrid surgeons who still prefer FUT for large cases. Reddy's work, while good, has primarily been shown on low Norwoods. Umar has showcased mostly repairs, I haven't seen any great "normal" cases from him.

I wish more surgeons were in this but...maybe in 10 years. eh.

How funny I only watched Groundhog day the other evening for the first time since the nineties still a good film imo.

FUT grafts do not result in a less natural appearance, single hair grafts can be selected for the hairline and the grafts are trimmed by the techs. Many clinics providing FUE do not trim grafts they are inserted as they come out.

FUT does not result in better density, density is about how closely the grafts are placed, both procedures can result in dense packing. It does however offer the patient a higher number of grafts, a combination of the two is the ultimate way to get as many grafts as possible. I still firmly believe and it makes sense that FUT first is the way to go as you can take 100% of the best donor hair grafts from an area that you have in MOST cases excess skin to harvest. Unlike recent analogies that it is like stretching a carpet and therefore the density above and below the scar is less it is not, you are removing the excess.

If we want carpet analogies then your head is like an old carpet that has come loose

car_restre_repair02.jpg

You can trim the carpet and pull it tight again, does it make the carpet thinner in appearance? Of course not.

Anymore of these threads and I will post the picture of this carpet again and you have been warned it is the most boring brown carpet I could find a picture of :)

Anyway enough of the carpet analogies and enough of the FUE vs FUT threads as we have established various forum members have differing opinions. There is a thread a few posts down from here currently that has a lot of arguments for one procedure over the other it is worth the read if you have the time.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

If we want carpet analogies then your head is like an old carpet that has come loose

car_restre_repair02.jpg

You can trim the carpet and pull it tight again, does it make the carpet thinner in appearance? Of course not.

Oh..but it does Garage, and it doesn't matter if you watched Groundhog day a hundred times or not In fact, if you took the Groundhog day film, cut 20 minutes out of the middle of it, them made it last for the same amount of time (and unless your skull shrinks you will have to) then you will have to stretch that sucker. Simple as that. Less hair, same skull size.

But anyway, I think strip gives you more bouncy hair, less transection and therefore a thicker a transplant. But if i were 25, and losing my hair, I wouldn't want the scar. That's all. The pain, discomfort and constant second-guessing about stretching, either post-first op, or subsequently when you go for more ops (and you usually have to) is just another worry.

And the pic of carpet looks like a blood hound.

I think most agree that Lorenzo's yield is very high. He extracts grafts 500 at a time and implants them very quickly so they don't dry out, there are some videos of this on youtube. I believe Dr Vila operates with Lorenzo as a team except for last year where she solely operated in Madrid when Lorenzo was in the UK, and if I am not mistaken she operated on Lorenzo himself.