Shaving your head

I have heard that if you have any type of hair transplant, either FUE or FUT, that you will never be able to shave your head to the skin again because of the scarring -- essentially that its an irreversible decision.

Have any of you that have gone under the knife tried to go back to the shaved head look? Are the scars apparent when you cut down to skin?

Yes for the most part it's true, especially for FUHT because of the strip scar.

Hopefully, most guys realize this before ever having the procedure done. It is a trade-off between having hair and having no hair.

I always have advised guys that whether they are considering FUHT or FUE, there's a good chance they will never be able to shave down their scalps again without some scarring showing.

Buzz cutting is something entirely different. Many guts can get away with buzz cutting but certainly not shaving down to the bare scalp.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Well, some people who haven't had any HT work look like they have had fue when shaved down, so with good fue you would probably be ok for shaving down, but with 99.9% of strip you won't be able to shave really really short. If you want to shave your head, just do that and don't get an HT, I have been shaved down, I have fue scarring that shows and a strip scar that shows, so I can't shave down.

• 7 years later...
On 8/29/2014 at 7:34 PM, Hair2d2 said:

This is correct. The scarring will show.

And this would also include wearing a fade style.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Bismarck,

Yes that is essentially true. Honestly, I tell people that have intentions to shave their head in the future to not bother considering a hair transplant. The point of getting hair transplant surgery regardless of the donor excision technique is to have and grow hair. If the ultimate goal is to shave your head especially down to the skin, then hair transplant surgery is just not for you.

Now, with FUE because of the lack of linear scar, you can crop your hair down quite short without showing any visual signs of scarring. That’s also pretty true of FUT but you just can’t shave as close without showing it.  But shaving all the way down to the skin for the most part will reveal some signs of scarring even with FUE. Depending on patient physiology, how you heal, etc. it might still be mostly undetectable but under close inspection, there will always be scarring.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good FUE extractions that leave minimal scarring can be hidden by SMP for low grade hair cuts, but anything intended to be razor shaved will show the SMP though and make it look odd. 

Joe Rogan is a great example of a guy who got a hair transplant. FUT and now rocks a shaved head or buzzed down a lot. It actually isn't that noticed imo. 

That said, don't consider a hair transplant as mentioned above if you intend to shave it all off eventually. It's just not worth the time, effort and cost required imo if you aren't actively trying to maintain your hair. I have a friend i tried to explain this to as well but there's only so much you can say. 

I think Baldcafe is a great YouTube channel for younger guys going through aggressive hair loss and in those cases where they're not able to use hair restoration etc. it's a chilled place to find a person able to talk you through that journey of hair loss and shaving/buzzing it down. 

Hell, even Melvin here recommends you try the bald look. 

Personally i think we're hostage to our genetics and that defines what options we have available but to anybody in a position to do so, i would say try medication and keep your hair as long as you can.

Mike Dimuzio i think it is on YouTube also dealt with hair loss and his journey is also on the opposite end of Bald Cafe but he's candid how he won't go back and would rather use a hair system. So there's options out there. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
12 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Good FUE extractions that leave minimal scarring can be hidden by SMP for low grade hair cuts, but anything intended to be razor shaved will show the SMP though and make it look odd. 

Joe Rogan is a great example of a guy who got a hair transplant. FUT and now rocks a shaved head or buzzed down a lot. It actually isn't that noticed imo. 

That said, don't consider a hair transplant as mentioned above if you intend to shave it all off eventually. It's just not worth the time, effort and cost required imo if you aren't actively trying to maintain your hair. I have a friend i tried to explain this to as well but there's only so much you can say. 

I think Baldcafe is a great YouTube channel for younger guys going through aggressive hair loss and in those cases where they're not able to use hair restoration etc. it's a chilled place to find a person able to talk you through that journey of hair loss and shaving/buzzing it down. 

Hell, even Melvin here recommends you try the bald look. 

Personally i think we're hostage to our genetics and that defines what options we have available but to anybody in a position to do so, i would say try medication and keep your hair as long as you can.

Mike Dimuzio i think it is on YouTube also dealt with hair loss and his journey is also on the opposite end of Bald Cafe but he's candid how he won't go back and would rather use a hair system. So there's options out there. 

Harry James from Bald Cafe is an incredible guy. I did a podcast with Harry when I shaved my head and began having issues with my scars (even with SMP). For anyone who has the slightest inkling of shaving their head down the track at some stage do not even think about getting a hair transplant! Surgery is always a last resort.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Harry James from Bald Cafe is an incredible guy. I did a podcast with Harry when I shaved my head and began having issues with my scars (even with SMP). For anyone who has the slightest inkling of shaving their head down the track at some stage do not even think about getting a hair transplant! Surgery is always a last resort.

Honestly, i saw your Eugenix video and i sincerely wish you the best in hopefully getting those results you wanted all along. It's beeb a hell of a journey for you and thanks for being candid and open about your experiences. Hopefully it has helped numerous other guys avoid the same sort of pitfalls. 

Unfortunately for as many more things we have had improvements in, we haven't been able to evolve past greedy unscrupulous people and that's why we still need to keep fighting the good fight against hair mills and shills leading good folks down the wrong path. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very well said...could not agree more.

Gillenator