Dr Rahal vs Dr Dognay

Hello all,

I have been considering a hair transplant for a while now and I've been told I need 3000 grafts by both Dr Rahal and Dr Dognay. The issue is Dr. Rahal's clinic have said that if I get a hair transplant, the results may not be great i.e. I would not see a great result because I am a diffuse thinner and there wouldn't be a great difference in my hair from now and after the hair transplant. This is because I dont use propecia due to side effects.

On the other hand, I raised this point with Dr Dognay's clinic and their response is given below.

"Dr Rahal is one of the good surgeons and we do respect his opinion however, we

have seen many patients who had great result without using Propecia.

Therefore, we do not see any problem to have FUE."

I need help or advice from you guys please. These two are both reputable surgeons and if one is of a different opinion, I don't know what to do. At the same time, I am extremely down due to my hair loss and want to get this rectified as soon as possible with a transplant. Please help or give any advice.

Thanks

Xabi

Hello all,

I have been considering a hair transplant for a while now and I've been told I need 3000 grafts by both Dr Rahal and Dr Dognay. The issue is Dr. Rahal's clinic have said that if I get a hair transplant, the results may not be great i.e. I would not see a great result because I am a diffuse thinner and there wouldn't be a great difference in my hair from now and after the hair transplant. This is because I dont use propecia due to side effects.

On the other hand, I raised this point with Dr Dognay's clinic and their response is given below.

I need help or advice from you guys please. These two are both reputable surgeons and if one is of a different opinion, I don't know what to do. At the same time, I am extremely down due to my hair loss and want to get this rectified as soon as possible with a transplant. Please help or give any advice.

Thanks

Xabi

I'd go with dr rahals opinion here. for a diffuse thinner i wouldn't consider a HT without propecia... when the rest falls out around the transplanted hairs (which it will without propecia) it will look bad!

Thanks a lot for reply Aftermath.

I take your point into account about propecia but I do use rogaine on a daily basis and I'd think my hairloss has stabilised over the last 2 years. Given that i use rogaine twice daily, do you think im still not a good candidate for a hair transplant?

Anyone else got any points/ideas, pls do share them.

Thanks

Hi Xabi86,

It is true that one can have a fantastic result as a diffuse thinner and not take medications but because you are a diffuse thinner there is a very strong chance that the hairs in the diffused area are going to fall out in the future. I can almost guarantee it but I'm also not familiar with your case nor have photos to review. It is not so much a question of "if" but rather "when".

The basics are always very important to consider. Hair loss is progressive and the more you do to fight existing hair loss the more long term enjoyment and benefit you will get from a hair transplant. If you do have a procedure as a diffuse thinner and do not do more to prevent future loss it does not mean you'll look unusual but the degree of thinning you have now may wind up being what you look like again in a few years once the native hairs fall out so in essence, getting a hair transplant without doing everything possible to maintain existing hairs may wind up being only a temporary (and expensive) fix to the problem.

Hello all,

Thanks

Xabi

Hello!

What side effects are you thinking you would have for using propecia?

Xab,

Perhaps you can clarify: did you try finasteride and experience side effects or are you afraid to try because of the potential side effects?

I think Dr. Rahal brings up an important point: hair transplant in diffuse thinners is a complicated process. Say, for example, your current follicular unit density is 30 FU/cm2. If Dr. Rahal is able to transplant an additional 30 follicular units/cm2 into the diffusely thinning scalp, you're left with a density of 60 FU/cm2 - a cosmetically acceptable post-transplant density. In a diffuse thinner, however, the follicles are likely prone to further miniaturization and, like Joe said, if you don't lose them initially to permanent shock loss, they will shed eventually. If you lose 30 FU/cm2 of your native density and retain the transplanted 30 FU/cm2, you're no better off than you were before. This point is, of course, moot in patients who stabilize with preventive medications like finasteride and minoxidil.

The minoxidil should provide some degree of stabilization. However, this may not be sufficient. This seems to be what Dr. Rahal was alluding to in his initial evaluation.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If you lose 30 FU/cm2 of your native density and retain the transplanted 30 FU/cm2, you're no better off than you were before. This point is, of course, moot in patients who stabilize with preventive medications like finasteride and minoxidil.

I would not say it's a moot point. Even with patients that stabilize with fin, some will see further loss down the road, making it a very good point still. I think Matt from SMG gave a great example saying that that if dht effecting your hair is like water in a sink, fin can often take it from a steady stream to a slower drip (something like that).

Cautious advice is rarely, if ever, poor advice when it comes to hts.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello all,

Thank you for all the opinions. I have tried Finasteride previously and had extremely bad side effects. Therefore, I have left it all together. dr rahal's clinic was of the same opinion that if I am getting sides, I should stay away. I've had further discussions with dr rahal's clinic and they agreed to do the transplant so in essence it sounds like maybe I'm being to negative about me having a bad result. His clinic also suggested I use saw palmetto which I have started now.

As far as dr doganay is concerned his clinic have advised that with their technique (choi implanter) i will be fine and not experience extensive shock loss.

Let me know you opinions pls.

Many thanks

Its really disappointing for me that im suffering with this hair loss and want to get it rectified to an extent by getting a transplant and i am just so confused if I should or shouldnt have a procedure. The state of my hair depresses me so much and not knowing what is the right thing to do is adding to it