Need body hair at hairline in Chicago

rogar6

Sorry for the awkward title.

Anyway, I've had several line graft transplants over the years but my hairline, especially my widows peak, doesn't look right mostly due to my thick, dark, wiry hair.I believe only body hair can make my hairline look normal and to avoid those "hair stares" I get from people. I asked my last surgeon if he would make sure to place lighter colored hairs in the area but he didn't.

I know there are mixed feeling about BHT but i believe it's my only choice. If I could get just my widows peak and an inch to the left and right touched up, I could finally go out without a hat.

Are there any surgeons in Chicago that do BHT? Nationwide?

I definitely know what you mean. Visual compatibility of the transplanted hair to the recipient zone is critical. If your current native hair is coarse, curly, etc., then you might want to consider using some beard grafts.

Any other donor region of the body is a dice roll. Chest would be considered second best BH source if you have decent chest hair.

There are a number of docs in Europe having some success with BH, and only a couple in North America that I would recommend considering.

One of them cannot be mentioned within this community but if you do a word search on BH within several of the larger hair loss forums, you will find who I am talking about.

One last thing. You definitely want to do a BH test session before committing to any larger sessions to see how the yield would be.

Hope things work out for you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think my beard hair is just as coarse as my scalp hair but as I understand, it has a similar growth cycle to scalp hair. Is this why other areas are not used as much for their hair, because their growth cycles are different than the beard or scalp?

Go see Dr Konior in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. What he doesn't know about hairlines isn't worth knowing.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Definitely worth checking with Dr. K. Are you saying that the hair is too coarse or not dense enough? Not sure beard hair is the way I would go to soften the area.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Rogar,

Body hair grafts - of any kind - are not usually placed in the anterior or temporal hairline. While the diameter of the hair shafts and duration of the hair cycling may seem similar, they are noticeably different. I'm afraid placing beard grafts into the hairline would actually have the opposite effect: making the hairline look more "pluggy" and harsh. You likely have scalp grafts in reserve, and placing these in the hairline (via FUE would likely be ideal) would probably make the biggest difference. A consultation Dr. Konior, as a few others mentioned, would be very useful.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You definitely don't want beard hair being used for your hairline, this is a very poor choice and no reputable surgeon performing BH transplants would do this. As rev mentioned, nape hair is an excellent choice for your hairline, and it is what was used with mine, in conjunction with scalp hair. Beard hair was then used to thicken up my hairline. I have visited Dr. Konior and consider him one of the best strip doctors on the planet, however, he does not even perform body hair transplants, and while he can soften your hairline, it won't be through FUE.

I think you need to do a lot more research and get a lot more opinions from various doctors, utilizing both FUE and FUT, before you decide on what approach to take. It's very possible you don't even need to resort to body hair.

I have visited Dr. Konior and consider him one of the best strip doctors on the planet, however, he does not even perform body hair transplants, and while he can soften your hairline, it won't be through FUE.

He would be prepared to do FUE to the hairline, if deemed appropriate of course.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

rogar6,

Apparently, I misunderstood your initial post and thought you did not have success with your scalp donor from past procedures.

If you do have viable scalp donor, always use that as your first choice.

BH really is a last resort and for scar repair cases, etc.

We don't know who did your prior procedures however if you choose someone reputable and talented, you will no doubt have a better result.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I agree, beard hair at the hairline would look bad, I was thinking of chest or leg hair. I'm not going to give the name of the doc who did my last transplant but I asked him b4 the procedure if he was going to place lighter, softer hairs at my widows peak and he said yes. 6 months later, those hairs are just as thick and dark as the rest of my hair, which, to me shows he either put no effort into it or couldn't find any lighter hairs for that area. This doc did only strips and i feel like I'd be wasting my time with another doc who only does strips.

I know someone mentioned Dr. K would do fue if the situation called for it so I'll have to get more info about that. But even with fue, all my scalp hairs may be too dark and wiry to produce a natural hairline.

Rogar,

Any type of body hair graft, I'm afraid, will simply not look natural in the hairline. The hairline is the most visible region of the scalp; anything besides scalp hair in this area - aside from cases of extreme repair - is simply not acceptable. I agree with Gillenator: if you have scalp grafts in reserve, use them! I'm wondering if the implanted grafts appear "thicker" or "larger" because the surrounding follicles are miniaturizing (i.e. the hair is thinning)?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I can only think of one individual who had BH done to soften his hairline and the BH was taken from his legs. He was a patient of Dr. Umar and he used to promote him alot on these major forums roughly 5-7 years ago. He went by the handle of "sofarsogood". Possibly some of the hair junkies remember him.

But that was a rare exception and although his result looked amazingly good, BH is so unpredictable especially when it is taken from regions other than the beard zone or chest. The growth cycles are much different than scalp hair and the yields can vary and be very poor.

And it is true that if the native hair is diffusing, the terminal hair taken from the primary donor zone will typically have a much higher degree of caliber. And if there is a wide hair to complexion color contrast, then the new grafts can stick out like a sore thumb and be more noticeable.

Scalp hair from the parietal zone can be softer in texture yet it seems that rogar's native hair in the recipient area (frontal zone) is very coarse.

The right doctor can resolve this by closely examining which scalp donor hair should be considered to match the frontal zone and hairline.

Gillenator

Also, the doc I used is accredited with abhrs.

IMHO, just about any HT doctor can join this organization and would not place too much credibility on it as it relates to the doctor's level of skill and certification.

Just my opinion...

Gillenator