FUT with zero to very little shaving Konior, Wesley?

edit:

Added Dr. Arocha to the list as he too does not require shaving.

original post:

"Been lurking these forums for years, have had multiple in person consultations. Went through the FUE vs. FUT analysis.

Based on my need to return to my lifestyle quickly and without raising flags, I have decided to get an FUT procedure. The reason is that the best FUE docs require shaving, whereas some top FUT docs do not require shaving.

I can go in for 1-2 FUE scar revisions in the future if the scar bothers me.

I have had in person consults with Konior, Wesley and others.

The two aforementioned docs have good reviews and can pull of the procedure discretely I feel.

I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Dr. K recommended 3,000 grafts for me, Dr. W recommended about 2200. Dr. K is known for his hairlines, Dr. W has a number of impressive photos.

Please give me your opinions."

Edited by recedingboy

Based on my need to return to my lifestyle quickly and without raising flags,

You don't have to respond, but I am curious about the above statement. What about your lifestyle warrants keeping the HT a secret? I see it a lot here for some and for others it a non-issue. After 80+ posts here, I am sure you know that for a few weeks after the procedure it's somewhat difficult to hide.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I've had two procedures with Dr. K and the fast healing & short down-time and minimal redness compared to other doctors is indeed a major plus.

Second procedure was under 1,000 grafts and non-shaved, after 4-5 days you could not tell anything had been done.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I think Wesley's work is probably less known than Dr. K but I think his hairlines look awesome. I'd feel in capable hands with either surgeon.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I've had two procedures with Dr. K and the fast healing & short down-time and minimal redness compared to other doctors is indeed a major plus.

Second procedure was under 1,000 grafts and non-shaved, after 4-5 days you could not tell anything had been done.

Implication being that your larger procedure had you shaved down. Was that per doctor's orders, or was the need for shaving down simply never discussed pre-op?

yep first procedure was shaved, this was discussed in advance and mutually agreed this would lead to the best possible result.

also had decent amount of native hair plus some from a previous surgery

if possible I do recommend shaving especially for larger procedures

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Dr. K does a lot of non shave procedures. You should consult with both doctors and discuss the pros and cons of going non shaved for your situation.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

My procedure with Dr. Arocha was very clean and went smooth for me as I didnt have to shave anything but where the donor area is. My hair covered everything recipient and donor.I could have returned to work the following week and no one would have been the wiser. I had some extra vacation days so I returned to work 10 days post op comfortably.

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Not to hijack this thread but I wanted to make a point to the original poster as well as pose a question to the community. I had a FUT procedure several years ago and have had a bit of stretching over the years. My scar remains undetectable (down to a 4 at least) thankfully, but I am contemplating getting a scar revision revision and some FUE cover up to give me some more flexibility with styling. In speaking with several reputable docs, the common thread seems to be that a scar will always be a scar no matter what. You can cover it up through a variety of methods but it will always remain at least semi visible with hair cut to a certain length. Something to think about poster....To the community, do you believe this is largely true or is it a case of docs playing the expectation game to keep a potential patient realistic? Under promise and over deliver? Can you direct me to any exceptional scar repairs so as to educate myself if they exist? Also, just based upon pics I've seen, Dr. K is my $.02.