doctors that do their own insertions vs...

How much of a difference does it make between doctors that do their own insertions of the hair grafts vs doctors that allow an assistant to insert the grafts for them. One of my main concerns is graft yields.

I would, obviously, think that doctors that do their own insertions and extractions would have the best results. I was researching a particular doctor until I found out that he only does the extractions and the assistants do the insertions. This worries me a bit.

Can people list doctors that are known to do both the extractions and insertions? I feel uneasy having assistants doing the insertions cause it seems like there would be more variability in quality. Thanks

Most doctors harvest and create the sites. Very few are involved in the transplanting of the grafts. If you find one that is...extra bonus!

The danger in the industry is that some techs are even getting involved in the harvesting and creation of sites, which should be performed by a licensed doctor (any cutting of skin). Make sure you specifically ask who does what during the surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Konior and one of his techs that have been there for years are allowed to do insertions.

I feel like if you make sure that the techs that will be working on you have been doing it for some time with proven results, that it doesn't make a huge difference. The problem comes if you are being worked on by new techs. I would take a tech doing insertions from SMG, H and W, etc. for 10 years over a any doc with minimal experience or unproven results.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Inserting the grafts is more of a physical ability than anything else. There's not much thought involved. It's sort of like saying a basketball player needs a degree in order to shoot the ball. Nope.

I agree with Spanker, just because the person doing the insertions is not a doctor doesn't mean the results will suffer. The insertions are done quickly just seconds apart. There is obviously a technique involved, but I think it comes down more to consistency than technique. Who has steady hands and can carefully repeat this process thousands of times? Apparently Lorenzo is one of the best in the world at doing this, the fact that he is also the doctor is just an added bonus as you have a better idea of who is doing it... there's probably doctors out there who do try to "do it all" at the cost of results because honestly they're just not great at it.

Dr Doganay does his own insertions; think Dr Bisanga may do extractions and insertions; Lorenzo does everything himself; think Dr Reyes does most himself as well.....does Feriduni do any implants himself?

It definitely makes a difference, the doc has more to lose than a tech who could just quit and find another job if the results turn out poor.

Dr. Konior (FUT) and Dr. Lorenzo (FUE) are among the best in their respected areas of specialty, and it is no surprise they both do the graft placement themselves

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Inserting the grafts is more of a physical ability than anything else. There's not much thought involved. It's sort of like saying a basketball player needs a degree in order to shoot the ball. Nope.

I would say that there is a lot of thought involved, but that there is not doctorate needed. You have to have very high hand I coordination, place them in the right depths and directions, deal with "popping" grafts, bleeding, and a host of other things. I don;t want to give the impression that it is not a skilled task mentally and physically (it is physically exhausting, just try standing and looking down for 8 to 10 hours a day, 4 to 5 days a week. Nobody, even the docs sits in the surgical suite in the cases I have seen Dr. K do), but being a doctor (besides having more to loose if it is not done right) is not going to make you any better at placing grafts. Experience and proven results is what makes you better.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

This....

You have to have very high hand I coordination, place them in the right depths and directions, deal with "popping" grafts, bleeding, and a host of other things.

graft placement angle and depth are critical for a natural result

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Dr Doganay does his own insertions; think Dr Bisanga may do extractions and insertions; Lorenzo does everything himself; think Dr Reyes does most himself as well.....does Feriduni do any implants himself?

Feriduni does the recipient site incisions, his techs implant the grafts. I'm unsure if Hakan does his own insertions, it is very possible though because he uses the choi implanter. I know he has a tech assist him with the extraction/punching process though, like Feriduni.

It definitely makes a difference, the doc has more to lose than a tech who could just quit and find another job if the results turn out poor.

What is this based on? Just Lorenzo? I agree his results stand out, but it's unclear why exactly and he's just one case.

All things being equal I'd rather have a doctor insert grafts into the pre-cut holes, but the whole process is a team effort. No doctor does 100% of everything. The top tier doctors make sure their techs are highly qualified. At Feriduni's clinic his head nurses have been there for years, one in particular I think 17 years. They're like a family. I think it comes down to... do you like the results of the clinic and do you trust the doctor.

Most doctors harvest and create the sites. Very few are involved in the transplanting of the grafts. If you find one that is...extra bonus!

The danger in the industry is that some techs are even getting involved in the harvesting and creation of sites, which should be performed by a licensed doctor (any cutting of skin). Make sure you specifically ask who does what during the surgery.

Best of luck!

Personally, I don't like where this is headed... I wish there was a way for the community to control this, or make it difficult from becoming standard practice.

Good thread.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

In my opinion, hair transplant technicians are highly proficient at their jobs. In fact, all top-notch clinics understand that hair transplant surgery is a team effort, and the doctors managing these clinics train, review, and retain the best technicians. While many doctors certainly assist in the placement process, I really think the majority of this work will always fall on the technicians. Which, again, I believe falls under their job description and they are more than capable of handling. In fact, quality clinics employee technicians who have placed thousands upon thousands of these grafts and are likely the most qualified to do so. This is akin to the manner in which a trained doctor is the most qualified to remove the grafts and make the incision sites. Altogether, technicians placing grafts at trusted, reviewed clinics is, in my opinion, standard practice.

Keep in mind that this doesn't take placement with an implanter pen into consideration (which still involves technicians priming the pen for the doctor).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.