Taking the plunge-- Surgery Tomorrow w/ Dr. Shapiro

MikeTPA

Hi all--

I really haven't done much posting on this great site, but have used it as a research tool. You all have been a wonderful source of information for me in helping me understand the HT process and, most importantly, finding a fantastic surgeon, so thank you all for that.

I'm having about 2,000 grafts placed tomorrow by Dr. Ron Shapiro. We'll use the strip/FUT method and the grafts will mostly be used along my frontal hairline, with some being reserved to cover a scar within my hairline above my ear. I'm nervous as hell, but also very assured that I've chosen the best doctor and the best clinic for my needs. He has multiple hairline examples that are exactly what I'm looking for, so he's a great match for me IMO.

I'll keep you all posted (maybe too tired to post tomorrow afterwards) during my recovery and see if I can get them to snap some pictures. I can tell you that so far, everyone at the clinic has been amazingly nice. They are definitely very customer focused. Janna, Matt, Dr. Ron and the rest of them are top-notch in my book. I'm looking forward to being another one of their success stories.

congrats on choosing an excellent surgeon and good luck!

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Mike,

Congratulations! Look forward to updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good luck Mike.

As others have said, you're in great hands!

Pete

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Hi all- thanks for the encouragement and well-wishes. The procedure was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. In at 8 am, review of the game plan with Dr. Ron, then the numbing. After that, he removed a strip big enough for 1800 grafts and the techs went to work dividing them while Dr. Ron made the incisions. All-in-all, very easy and pain free. Just a few moments of slight pinches and a one minute span that felt like a headache. All were VERY quickly remedied with numbing injections. It really was a very easy day surrounded by great/friendly people. Right now, just feeling a bit loopy from the Valium and relieved that it all went as well as I suspected it would. I snapped a few pics, but can't figure out how to post with an iPad- that's all that I brought with me.

Thanks again for your support and the valuable info that you all have contributed here.

Great choice of surgeons. Ron Shapiro was one of the three surgeons I narrowed my search down to. Looking forward to following your progress. Good luck and grow well.

Edited by Since21

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Night one went pretty well. I felt just a bit loopy, but came back to the hotel and ate some dinner then camped out in front of the tv. I'm staying at a nearby Embassy Suites, and I ended up sleeping on the couch-- wanted to stay on my back instead of sleeping on my side and rolling over on my grafts. Since I'm a side sleeper, the couch forced me to stay on my back.

Pain-wise, there has been very little. They gave me Vicodin, and because I was sleeping on my back and therefore on my incision, I woke up in the middle of the night and took a Vicodin because the back of my head was sore. Other than that, everything has been easy.

I just got back from visiting the clinic and Janna washed my hair and took some pictures. She is going to post some here for me when she gets some time later today. I can't stress enough how easy this process has been for me-- easy physically and because the staff there is so nice, it has been easy emotionally. This place really is the world-class clinic that I'd previously read about and they are all exceedingly kind and patient-oriented.

Here are Mike's pre-op and 1 day post op photos. Thanks Mike for posting your progress - Thanks

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide8.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Slide10.jpg

Slide11.jpg

Janna - thanks so much for posting those for me. You all were great, and the process was so easy. My only regret is letting myself stress out so much before hand. It really was a walk in the park.

StaggerLee- it is amazing how clean the area is at day three. I saw my grandpa today and didn't tell him about it, and he said "it looks like the barber screwed up a little on the front." It's so clean that it just looks like a close shave or something. The good news is that I left my pre-existing hair long enough to gently brush over the grafts and I really don't think anyone will notice.

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping that the majority of my hair loss is behind me at nearly 44 and this will hold me over (along w/Propecia) for some time. Dr. Ron didn't want to go too aggressive on bringing the hairline down to allow for future planning if need-be. I wholeheartedly agree.

The work looks great Mike.

I'm sure you'll be one happy bloke in a few months time!

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Nice hair already for pushing your mid 40's. How long have you been on meds? For that amount of grafts in that small of an area, you are going to be really happy. With your age vs hair loss, you probably could have gotten away with dropping the hairline a bit more, and you can always choose to do so at a later date. Without a close look at your hair, I would have to disagree with not being able to drop it. I have found that sometimes SMG is very conservative but sometimes they are not (I have seen more aggressive work in the last few years). I am sure there are variables that exist that I can't see. On a positive side, moving a hairline forward is a lot easier than moving one back (But I think you'll be happy with where it is).

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey Spanker-

Thanks for your nice comments. I agree with you, the hairline could probably go a bit lower, but i'm not worried about going back for more if needed, but i think i'll be happy with what i have. To answer your question re: Propecia- i've only been on it for a few months. I wish i had started sooner, but too late for that. Part of my decision on how aggressive to go on the hairline (including Dr. Ron's guidance):

1. I had/have a very tight scalp, so we got just about the limit we'll get from a strip procedure right now. As far as FUE, i really didn't want to shave my head. I went into this deadset that this would be done (if at all possible) in a way that i can disguise the healing phase and keep it confidential. So far, so good with that, as i've been able to conceal the donor scar and lightly brush my existing hair over the grafts.

2. I have a little more thinning in the crown area and the area behind the hairline than i'd like. In terms of planning for the future, i really want to save as much donor hair for potential hairloss in the future and kind of just "wait and see" for now.

I agree with you, the hairline could probably go a bit lower, but i'm not worried about going back for more if needed, but i think i'll be happy with what i have.

I like the hairline height and think it's age appropriate. Did he tell you the height? Looks to be around 7.5cm.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Thanks- and age appropriate was another of my stated goals with him, so I agree with you there. I'm not sure of the centimeter measurements. He didn't mention it to me. The three docs that I saw and liked (Shapiro, Arocha and Rose) all suggested nearly identical hairlines and graft #'s.