Dr. Lawrence Shapiro

Hello all, I just wanted to share my personal experience with this awesome doctor. I am about to turn 36 and have decided it's time for a second hair transplant. I was aware this was inevitable because when I had my transplant in 2006 around November, I figured 2007 would be a much better year with much fuller hair. First let me tell you I had heard of Dr. Shapiro while listening to WIOD newsradio 610. I wanted updates on weather, hey it's Florida and we are unfortunately visited by the occassional hurricane. I remember the catchy "hair now, hair forever" part of the jingle advertising this doctor so I decided to look up the doctor on the web. Hey, lets face it hair forever sounded pretty good to me. I saw the before and after pictures posted on his site and must admit I was hesitant to believe that results that good were possible, I had seen men at my job come back with transplants that looked like the hair on dolls, you know what I mean a bunch of hair tightly knitt into one spot, I defenetely would much rather accept being bold than look like that. I of course also wanted to know how much it would cost, hey I am not poor but I do have responsiblities rather a roof over my head and food on the table than hair, I didn't fully understand at the time what a graft was but I knew that $3 piece was doable. I mustered up some courage and called Dr. Shapiro's office and scheduled an appointment at his Hollywood office. I was sure I would back down at the last minute and decided to keep the office visit a secret from my wife, in case I backed down I would at least avoid the whole conversation about how my hair loss was making me feel, frustrated and moody. Well I didn't back down and I found myself filling out a form about my health history pretty standard first time at your new doctor stuff. The staff at the office was cheerful and welcoming I was even amazed when Dr. Shapiro asked if I wanted to see first hand a procedure taking place, with the patient's permission I saw his procedure taking place it was amazing and needless to say it made a believer out of me, this doctor is defenetely for real. We discussed what I should expect based on my hair type and set a date for the procedure. The financing was also a welcoming surprise, I could actually pay for it, interest free over a period of 18 months and my payments, get this, were around $255 a month. I was given some instructions as to what to do for the 2 weeks prior to the procedure and could not wait to tell my wife what I had been up to that day. My wife was happy for me and understood my hesitation to tell her about my desire to improve my appearance and my self steem by rectifying the hair loss which until that point I thought was inevitable. The day of the procedure my wife accompanied me and waited outside the office for my procedure to be finished, she opted not to see it in progress, she is a bit squimish. Once the procedure was over I was on my way home to rest and since I did not want anyone outside of my wife to know what I was havin done I had requested a week off from work. To my surprise after the first week had passed I returned to work and no one was the wiser. Funny thing after about 6 or 7 months people were telling me I looked younger but did not know what exactly it was. to this date no one has figured it out, I have no visible scar on the back of my head even though my job requires me to have a pretty squared away almost military style haircut, and since I am also in the Navy Reserves a military style haircut is what I have. It should be no surprise that I highly recommend Dr. Lawrence Shapiro as the man to go to if you want amazing results, a professional and caring staff that will make you feel at ease before, during and after the procedure.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I just wanted to share my personal experience with this awesome doctor. I am about to turn 36 and have decided it's time for a second hair transplant. I was aware this was inevitable because when I had my transplant in 2006 around November, I figured 2007 would be a much better year with much fuller hair. First let me tell you I had heard of Dr. Shapiro while listening to WIOD newsradio 610. I wanted updates on weather, hey it's Florida and we are unfortunately visited by the occassional hurricane. I remember the catchy "hair now, hair forever" part of the jingle advertising this doctor so I decided to look up the doctor on the web. Hey, lets face it hair forever sounded pretty good to me. I saw the before and after pictures posted on his site and must admit I was hesitant to believe that results that good were possible, I had seen men at my job come back with transplants that looked like the hair on dolls, you know what I mean a bunch of hair tightly knitt into one spot, I defenetely would much rather accept being bold than look like that. I of course also wanted to know how much it would cost, hey I am not poor but I do have responsiblities rather a roof over my head and food on the table than hair, I didn't fully understand at the time what a graft was but I knew that $3 piece was doable. I mustered up some courage and called Dr. Shapiro's office and scheduled an appointment at his Hollywood office. I was sure I would back down at the last minute and decided to keep the office visit a secret from my wife, in case I backed down I would at least avoid the whole conversation about how my hair loss was making me feel, frustrated and moody. Well I didn't back down and I found myself filling out a form about my health history pretty standard first time at your new doctor stuff. The staff at the office was cheerful and welcoming I was even amazed when Dr. Shapiro asked if I wanted to see first hand a procedure taking place, with the patient's permission I saw his procedure taking place it was amazing and needless to say it made a believer out of me, this doctor is defenetely for real. We discussed what I should expect based on my hair type and set a date for the procedure. The financing was also a welcoming surprise, I could actually pay for it, interest free over a period of 18 months and my payments, get this, were around $255 a month. I was given some instructions as to what to do for the 2 weeks prior to the procedure and could not wait to tell my wife what I had been up to that day. My wife was happy for me and understood my hesitation to tell her about my desire to improve my appearance and my self steem by rectifying the hair loss which until that point I thought was inevitable. The day of the procedure my wife accompanied me and waited outside the office for my procedure to be finished, she opted not to see it in progress, she is a bit squimish. Once the procedure was over I was on my way home to rest and since I did not want anyone outside of my wife to know what I was havin done I had requested a week off from work. To my surprise after the first week had passed I returned to work and no one was the wiser. Funny thing after about 6 or 7 months people were telling me I looked younger but did not know what exactly it was. to this date no one has figured it out, I have no visible scar on the back of my head even though my job requires me to have a pretty squared away almost military style haircut, and since I am also in the Navy Reserves a military style haircut is what I have. It should be no surprise that I highly recommend Dr. Lawrence Shapiro as the man to go to if you want amazing results, a professional and caring staff that will make you feel at ease before, during and after the procedure.

Not that you have to, but, photo documentation would go a long way to promote your doctor as "the man to go to". This review, may be seen by some, as novelistic and unconventional without them. This board seems to prefer "Brass tacks".

I know nothing about Lawrence Shapiro than what I've seen on this site, but it seems that every single time someone posts a favorable review of him it is from a new poster and is littered with comments that reek of promotion. Am I the only person who is reading this and shaking his head at the absurdity of what was written?

sh3sw, if you are indeed a real patient I apologize in advance. But, after having read a few posts eerily similar to this about Dr. Larry Shapiro, I am skeptical. Therefore, absent any pictures I'm calling bullshit on this post and seriously hoping that an investigation into the validity of you is forthcoming.

"Hair now, hair forever......" This dude looks like Epstein from "Welcome Back Kotter".

http://www.drshapiroshairinstitute.com/

Why do all the mini graft clinics claim to be the first? Mine did too back in '91. He was a "pioneer" yet practiced in North Alabama. LOL>

-Dr. Shapiro was the first to do a "strip incision" and the first doctor in the Southern U.S. to specialize in "micro-mini grafts."

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

The problem with this post is that first time readers might confuse L. Shapiro with "R" Shapiro of SMG...THE TWO CAN NOT BE COMPARED....

I don't know much about L Shapiro so I will not give any advice...but I have read of patients who were not very happy...ALWAYS DO REASERCH...If you are a real patient of L Shapiro, I wish you all the luck and happy growing....If your not, shame on you...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Sorry for not having any photos up but I will, you're right seeing is believing, as to me being a new poster I can't help the fact I had never entered this site before or for that matter posted anything about anything before. TC17 apology accepted, since I am new maybe someone here can tell me how it is that the site chooses to promote the Doctors listed, are they the ones paying for the site?

He states he invented the follicular unit 15 years before others.

QUOTE "In the early 90's (prior to any other doctor), Dr. Larry Shapiro noticed that cutting the hair into their natural bundles or groups (either 1 hair, two hairs or three hairs) was the most natural way to place these back in the head. Then with the special blades that Dr. Shapiro developed he was able to take these bundles or follicular units and place them back in the scalp for a natural appearance. It is only recently that other doctors (15 years later no less!) started using the term "follicullar unit" and of course trying to take credit for something that he has been doing since 1990."

since I am new maybe someone here can tell me how it is that the site chooses to promote the Doctors listed, are they the ones paying for the site?

sh3sw,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

There is no secret that physicians recommended on the Hair Transplant Network pay a sponsorship fee to support our community and resources. However, physicians are considered for recommendation based on the high standards set by this community. All of this information can be found on our physician standards page. See also, How We Recommend Hair Transplant Surgeons.

Unlike many hair loss communities, we are not an "advertising" site that collects money from any doctor who wants to advertise their services. We prescreen surgeons, and only surgeons who meet our standards are invited to join. In fact, we have turned away dozens of applicants in the last year alone who we felt didn't meet our standards. In this respect, we're a lot like an high esteemed university who only accepts students with the highest GPAs and extra curricular activities.

We always encourage everyone to do their own research on surgeons they are considering. This is the primary reason we have a discussion forum that enables hair loss sufferers to have a voice and share their genuine opinions. Ultimately, the members of our discussion forum have their own voice and aren't paid to promote a particular physician. Those who work for or receive compensation from a hair restoration clinic and post here are required to add a disclaimer in their forum signature as per our terms of service everyone agreed to when they signed up.

All that to say, I think many members are skeptical when they hear glowing reviews of lesser known clinics. As you rightfully said, seeing is believing.

I of course, am happy that you had a good experience and hope you'll share your results with us.

All the best,

Bill

Thank you for the explanation, I was wondering about the doctors that do not meet your standards, regardless of the reason is there a list that that can be viewed to at least know who to stay away from?

these I took today 5/1/09, after 3200 grafts and am happy to report that for my 36 birthday I will treat myself to one more transplant, to make my hair fuller, and yes I will be going to Dr. L.Shapiro; will keep you posted

today_may_2009.jpg.9aacd37861e56a3d4cc908859f45e726.jpg

You're either a shill, or a very lucky man. Lawrence S. is a bonefied butcher and used-car salesman who unfortunately is able to wield a scalpel on the general public w/ little repercussion.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I am neither and don't appreciate the fact that for some reason unless you are posting something about one of the doctors listed on this site, so called unbiased members come out of the woodwork to criticize even though they themselves went to a different doctor I can only speak for myself and refrain from bad mouthing the other doctors since I had no work done by them on me, perhaps you are the shill. The only association I have is to the U.S Navy and to the Dept. of Homeland Security. Unless I am mistaken the forum is supposed to provide its visitors with our personal experience with the doctor chosen.

Leeson, I emailed you the answer but received a delay notice, so to answer you, no I am not on any hair medication.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. New poster here. I was browsing the forums and did a search on my doctor's name and found this post. I had a very positive experience with Dr. Lawrence Shapiro, and I am extremely pleased by the results. First let me say I was a bit disturbed by the unfounded comments being posted about my doctor, so I felt the need to speak out about what a GREAT experience I had with Dr. Shapiro.

No offense guys, but I know a lot of these negative comments are unfounded because I've actually had the procedure done by him, and it was the best decision I've ever made. He's a fantastic and skilled doctor, who has been doing this for many years, and his experience shows in the excellent results he gives. Prior to my hair transplant I had tried all sorts of things for years like rogaine, propecia, and shampoos with very little to show for it. Finally I said enough is enough, and it's time to do something that will give guaranteed and permanent results.

When I decided this was something I wanted to do, I did a lot of research on various doctors in my area. My initial decision to schedule a consulation with Dr. Shapiro was based on his many years of experience and the extensive results I saw on his website. I knew this would be a big decision to make, but I felt comfortable the rewards would be great based on what I had seen from his other client's before and after pictures.

He went even further than that by allowing me to meet with a patient of his who was back for their one year post-op visit, and their results looked fantastic. Seeing is believing for me, so I went ahead and scheduled the procedure for a couple weeks later. During the consultation he spent a lot of time discussing how he would re-design my hairline and what would look best for me. I felt very comfortable with the ideas he had, and I left the office knowing I had made one of the best decisions of my life.

I paid particular attention to pre-op procedures like massaging the scalp daily and not using any vitamins or drinking alcohol. Then on the day of the procedure I met with another patient who had just completed the surgery an hour before. Dr. Shapiro asked the other patient if I could take a look, and he was nice enough to explain how he felt and what to expect. Seeing and hearing from actual patients made me a believer, and I couldn't wait to get it done and be sharing my results with the next patient.

And a little over a year later, that is exactly what I did. I went in to meet with the doctor and discuss my post-op, and afterwards he introduced me to a patient who wanted to get the procedure done. This patient had even more hair than I started with, so I know he will be very pleased with the results he gets. I am even considering going in for another sitting to get an even fuller look. I originally had around 3200-3500 grafts, and I think about another 2000-2500 more will get me back to my pre-hairloss look. I'm very excited that I'm gradually getting back there, and I have Dr. Lawrence Shapiro to thank for it all! If you like, I will post pictures from after my next procedure so you can see the progress I make from it as well.

-JWSFL

PS - Sorry for the unkempt hair in my post-op pictures! They happened to take these a couple months after my last haircut, so I'm not looking as clean cut as I usually do. :-) lol

Before_-_After.jpg.e652b0ceb84dd249c82cce36514bad02.jpg

I too have had experience with Dr. LARRY Shapiro and I will tell you that it is absolutely the WORST decision I have ever made in my life.

He took advantage of me at an extrememly young age (21) and I will probably never recover from what he did to me.

No ethical doctor would have ever operated on me at my age and with the hairloss I was experiencing. I told the Doc I wanted to be proactive to prevent any further loss and he agreed with me that it was a good idea. He placed 3's and 4's throughout my existing BARELY thining hair. Well I assume you can guess where the story goes from here.

More hairloss occured and I'm left with an awful hairline that I never expose in public (brush all of my hair forward). I can't beleive I gave my precious donor to him. You live an you learn I guess. I've already been in for one repair procedure by Epstein and it was minimally successful. Now I am off to another small repair in less than a week with Dr. Feller. Hopefully this will be the last TP for several years.

Some of these photos look impressive but beware...I experienced that office first hand and he and his staff are phony salesmen who have no expertise in this field. It would ABSOLUTELY not be beyond that man and his practice to create false postings.

I apologize if this post comes off as overly harsh and negative but I have been scarred for the younger years of my life because of this Dr. LARRY Shapiro.

I would never take a chance with him. Go to a respected Doc.