My 3500grafts FUE with Dr. Maral in Istanbul

Hesediel

Hey everyone! This is my first thread but I've been lurking this forum for years and this is my chance to thank all of you guys for the great amount of informations I've found in this wonderful forum.

I'm here to share my experience with Dr. Maral and my FUE transplant happened today in Istanbul with the hope to help those of you that are still not sure about his clinic/work or FUE transplant.

Long story short, I'm a 24yo Northern Italian guy who started developing male pattern baldness at the age of 19. Genetics family wise are NW 4-5 for males and NW 1-2 for females (some exceptions).

Here's some of my photos pre operation:

Front view

rqvins.jpg

Right side

347wgo1.jpg

Left side

1zgawqr.jpg

Back/donor

30vglk9.jpg

Upper zone

15d07qh.jpg

If it might help, here's also my father's baldness

zo9bva.jpg

I discovered about FUE thanks to this forum and you guys. At first I was heading towards Dr. Erdogan in Turkey, but I did not have a good impression from him e-mail wise so I kept looking. When I found out about Dr. Maral, we had some consultation via e-mail and I had a feeling I found someone competent, knowledgable and patient (I can be very anxious about my hair and I tend to ask a lot of questions).

Booked FUE with him for end of January, which happened today (had couple of days of delay due to university classes).

The clinic is nice and clean, in a busy business district in Istanbul. We were provided with full transports from and to our hotel/airport, which was very nice.

Dr. Maral appreciated my donor area explaining how, even if my back hair are very healthy and thick, it would be wise to keep a slightly high hairline eventually for future follow up operations, avoiding to use all the donor area. He said my hairloss covers only the front side (with a bit of central thinning), which is not bad compared to way higher NW levels, and I have the possibility to achieve a great result.

After a quick undressing (we were given surgical gowns) and a quick shave, I was asked to lay down on my front to proceed with the graft extraction. An assistent (a woman) was "piercing" my scalp with the motor and the other assitent (a man) was picking out the grafts and putting them first on a gauze and then in a petri dish. This process started around 10 am and it was done at 1:30 pm when I got asked what I wanted for lunch.

After a quick lunch with doner, I was asked to lay on my back so the same assistent could proceed to start piercing the holes on the front area. This was a very quick process. Seriously, I don't think it took more than 1 hour. Meanwhile, a LCD TV screen in front of me was playing some nice National Geographic documentaries, allowing time to fly faster.

After the piercing, the graft implantation begun, which honestly was the most boring part. It lasted from 2:30pm to 5:40pm.

I'm currently at the hotel (provided by the clinic) and I'm honestly a bit in pain, however the medical staff gave me 3 boxes of drugs to take for 3-4 days: paracetamol/acetaminophen (paninkiller), metilprednisolone (anti inflamation) and doxycycline (strong antibiotic). I'm dreading the night, to be honest. But oh well, the worst part is gone I guess.

Even if I do not have a donor pic yet, I'm going to share the front area. Consider that its very fresh (less than 6 hours) and that my hotel room is quite dark (only two lights? what the hell!)

85b0Qrp.jpg?1

I have such a huge instinct to scratch my head right now but its strictly forbidden to avoid making the grafts fall.

So yeah, here's my story if it can be useful to anyone. If you have any question feel free to ask, consider I'm all by myself and pretty bored at the moment so I'll reply quickly!

Edited by Hesediel

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What made you choose dr. Maral? I'm also considering to go and see him for my HT, so I'm wondering why did you chose him? I also sent you a friend request :)

First thing that made me choose him was the good impression I've got from emailing with him, thing that absolutely did not happen with Dr. Erdogan.

Second, I'd be an hypocrite if I didnt say "the price". Around half of other surgeons in Turkey and around 1/3 of what I would have payed in my country. Being a college student sometimes forces you in a specific direction... I know I shouldn't consider price over quality, but I also thought "afterall, thinking about my genetic and my hair loss at 24yo, it can't get that much worse.. might as well try it!".

Final price btw was 1700€, including hotel staying, transportations to/from hotel/airport and post operation drugs and care. Plus, I've got the Venice-Istanbul direct flight for only 140€ round trip. I can't ask for more :)

Today is day 2 and in the morning we've been visiting Dr. Maral, whom took care of our bandages and gave us shampoo/lotions as well as a hat.

My donor area is healing (i guess), but is it normal thats still a bit bleeding? I took a nap this afternoon and when I woke up there were blood stains on the little absorbent towel the clinic gave me yesterday

Heres two update pics:

RcvINe3.jpg?1

5UsUafp.jpg?1

I remember it like as if it was yesterday! Can't believe a year has passed since my HT with Dr Maral, did you get your hat today! What hotel are you staying in, My Rose or The Levent.? Your pictures show that everything looks really good so far!

I remember it like as if it was yesterday! Can't believe a year has passed since my HT with Dr Maral, did you get your hat today! What hotel are you staying in, My Rose or The Levent.? Your pictures show that everything looks really good so far!

Yes, I've got the hat hahah! Its like a rite of passage!

I'm staying at My Rose hotel, its clean and breakfast is good. I'm glad to know from you guys that so far its healing well, I got a little scared when after my nap I found the blood stains (not much blood anyway but still), everything is new to me and I guess I'm freaking out for even the smallest things

Hey guys, I'm finally back in my beloved country.

Today is forehead swelling day so I'll keep taking the corticosteroid tablets as prescribed.

Has anyone else experienced this? It looks like my head got hit by a bat or something.

No bleeding/itchyness from donor area or recipient area (yet) but I'm just waiting for it.

I might take a sleeping pill tonight since its still hard to find a comfortable position at night to prevent pain/sweat on the donor area.

Bleeding from the donor is expected, but if you see blood on the recipient area that is a reason for alarm because it usually means a graft has fallen out.

Yes, I also had swollen forehead on days 3-5, corticosteroids prevented it from going really bad but keeping some ice also helped a lot.

As for the sleeping, perhaps you should avoid taking sleeping pills to prevent your body from relaxing too much and inadvertently hurting the grafts. Just roll a pillow under your head and lie on your back so that your neck is completely bent forward and your chin almost touches your chest. It is surprisingly less uncomfortable than it sounds, and the next morning you'll wake up in exactly the same position :)

Bleeding from the donor is expected, but if you see blood on the recipient area that is a reason for alarm because it usually means a graft has fallen out.

Yes, I also had swollen forehead on days 3-5, corticosteroids prevented it from going really bad but keeping some ice also helped a lot.

As for the sleeping, perhaps you should avoid taking sleeping pills to prevent your body from relaxing too much and inadvertently hurting the grafts. Just roll a pillow under your head and lie on your back so that your neck is completely bent forward and your chin almost touches your chest. It is surprisingly less uncomfortable than it sounds, and the next morning you'll wake up in exactly the same position :)

Yes, majority of the blood spots were from the donor area. However, today a graft has fallen out from the hairline. I rushed to take off my hat at the passport control and doing so one of the graft got stuck in the fabric and it fell off. I had to wipe the blood from the hole, but its fine now, I'll be more careful!

Ice sounds good, I didnt think about that. Gotta continue taking this Prednol 16mg/metilprednisolone until wednesday but I'm pretty sure majority of the swelling will be gone by then!

I have to try your suggestion for sleeping because in the past couple of nights my sleeping has been awful. I usually sleep on my side plus the donor area was getting sweaty, and this lack of sleep is.. no good hahah.

I'm about 4 weeks ahead of you and have been documenting a lot. Much of what you are going through I have talked about too as I went through it in the last few weeks.

You can read about it here if you like: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172724-fue-procedure-jan-02-2014-dr-demirsoy-2.html

It might help and might also put your mind at ease a bit!

Hmm, this will be an interesting HT to follow, because it is so cheap, what is the catch? Still, it looks like several members here have nothing but good things to say about the clinic, so I am interested. 4,000-5,000 grafts for 1,800 euro/$2,430? How do they keep the clinic running, pay the technicians, how do they live? Lol.

Hmm, this will be an interesting HT to follow, because it is so cheap, what is the catch? Still, it looks like several members here have nothing but good things to say about the clinic, so I am interested. 4,000-5,000 grafts for 1,800 euro/$2,430? How do they keep the clinic running, pay the technicians, how do they live? Lol.

Even if Istanbul can be a pretty expensive city to live in, I'm sure the fiscal system in Turkey is way less severe compared to EU or US.

In my country, private medical operations are subject to up to 75% taxes, which ends up in having a total cost of over 10k € for 2000-3000 grafts FUE.

Looks like Turkey only has a 8% VAT on medical services/medical products, plus its a country with centralized healthcare and an advanced social welfare system.

Im sure in those 1700-1800€ each of us ends up paying to Maral, he can make more than enough to sustain all the clinic costs, and his own paycheck as well with his assistents (which i suppose they're doctors as well? maybe just training? I dont think a nurse would be qualified to perform so much on a patient, at least here) and the driver.

I do expect, however, a rise in his prices as soon as he will start becoming more popular and more of us will share his operations. Exactly like Dr. Erdogan did. And I couldn't blame him at all, hes running a business and hes doing it in a great way.

Today is my day 3, and later I'll post some update pics of my donor/recipient.

I could finally sleep for 10 hours straight and it felt fantastic. Still a bit og yellow oozing from some holes in the donor area, but the swelling from my forehead is now moving to my eyes/nose/cheecks.

I can't wait to start gently washing the recipient area with the two lotions Dr. Maral gave me

My journey continues, and today its day 3

Donor area: no pain, no more bleeding, some scabs are already peeling off without even trying, and tomorrow its gonna be the first mild wash day (with lotion and shampoo provided by Dr. Maral)

Bk7LzFC.jpg?1

iI7oMzk.jpg?1

Recipient area; same as above. No pain, no bleeding, no scabbing so far but we'll see how that will be tomorrow with the first wash

16oX6Qe.jpg?1

Swelling... oh god, where should I even start from?

As we foresaw that yesterday, today it moved to my eyelids and all around the eye.

Kept my head up and icy pack on the area around 20 minutes every hour for the whole afternoon. Right now, my right eye is so swollen I cant even keep it open. Plus, it got some subcutaneous bleeding I guess, since some parts are very bright bloody red.

Hopefully tomorrow it'll migrate to the nose or elsewhere!

BvfsFeg.jpg?1

HI... Discovering your thread, that's great cause I feel like I'm back 3 months ago. It was a very close experience to yours, except for your eyes... impressive last pics ! lol . Don't worry it will disappear very soon. I could recommend you to use ALL the package he gave you like I had, till the end of them. Medecines AND lotion ( I think he was advising to use it a few days , I actually used the lotion about 15 days, letting it on my head 1 hour each day before shampoo, and that probably helped me to have a fast healing, and no more marks at all today. )

I wish you all the best, there's no reason that goes wrong, there was only 1 very special case who seemed not to work on this site, all other Maral's patients look satisfied until then.

Fred

Edited by fredifredo

Wow, that's a lot of swelling. Are you taking all the medication? Either way, it should be gone after 2-3 days tops.

Why are there so many blood stains on your top? Have you hurt your head?

Glad that your sleep is improving. The density and hairline look really promising!

Even if Istanbul can be a pretty expensive city to live in, I'm sure the fiscal system in Turkey is way less severe compared to EU or US.

In my country, private medical operations are subject to up to 75% taxes, which ends up in having a total cost of over 10k € for 2000-3000 grafts FUE.

Looks like Turkey only has a 8% VAT on medical services/medical products, plus its a country with centralized healthcare and an advanced social welfare system.

Im sure in those 1700-1800€ each of us ends up paying to Maral, he can make more than enough to sustain all the clinic costs, and his own paycheck as well with his assistents (which i suppose they're doctors as well? maybe just training? I dont think a nurse would be qualified to perform so much on a patient, at least here) and the driver.

I do expect, however, a rise in his prices as soon as he will start becoming more popular and more of us will share his operations. Exactly like Dr. Erdogan did. And I couldn't blame him at all, hes running a business and hes doing it in a great way.

Today is my day 3, and later I'll post some update pics of my donor/recipient.

I could finally sleep for 10 hours straight and it felt fantastic. Still a bit og yellow oozing from some holes in the donor area, but the swelling from my forehead is now moving to my eyes/nose/cheecks.

I can't wait to start gently washing the recipient area with the two lotions Dr. Maral gave me

Thanks for explanation as to why his FUE's are so cheap.

Hey, if he's a good quality doctor with consistently good HT's, word will get around very fast to any one who does there research and he will get a lot of clients because of his prices. I think that even when he raises the prices it will still be a bargain since he does a set amount of maximum grafts for a certain price, like for example 2600-3500 grafts = 1750 EUR.

Good luck on your HT results, I will be following it.

Wow, that's a lot of swelling. Are you taking all the medication? Either way, it should be gone after 2-3 days tops.

Why are there so many blood stains on your top? Have you hurt your head?

Glad that your sleep is improving. The density and hairline look really promising!

Hey abcd, yup I've been on my meds all this time but now I'm done with the antibiotic/painkiller and I'm only on the corticosteroid tablet.

My eyes are so bloody it looks like I've been punched in my eyes for hours! I'm pretty sure its because I was bleeding quite a lot during my surgery. But now the swelling from my eyes is mostly gone, I'll just have to wait for the undercutaneous blood to get absorbed. Time to brag around my new sunglasses! hahah

The donor and the recipient are healing great.

Today is day 5, and since wednesday I've been gently washing the recipient first with the Bepanthol lotion and then with Seba Med shampoo once per day.

Here's pics today:

Recipient (no swelling, no itching, no more bloody crusts just some white scabs which I suppose are just dead skin from the graft implants)

U2A3njl.jpg?1

Donor: (no swelling, no itching, no crusts)

tE5blfw.jpg?1

What do you guys think?

Your hairline is going to look really good. I am rooting for you, and all other Dr Maral patients, to have great results because I talked to Dr Maral through email(or some one from his clinic) and I too was quoted for 3,500 grafts. But for me it's all over the scalp rather than only the frontal region, because I have balding in the back too. Dr. Maral is not the only HT doctor who said I need 3,500, I was also told by a ISHRS recommended doctor that I will need 3,500 grafts. I hope if I do it with Dr Maral that he gives me 3,000-3,500 grafts in the front similar to yours, and 1,000 in the back because I would like a good hairline, not a high conservative one.

Good luck with your progress. BTW I have a question for you, are concerned that you recipient area looks the way it does? Like kind of dried blood? Or is that common? Your donor area looks like is healing very fast.

Good luck with your progress. BTW I have a question for you, are concerned that you recipient area looks the way it does? Like kind of dried blood? Or is that common? Your donor area looks like is healing very fast.

I'm not 100% sure, but previous pics I've seen from other operations showed some blood crusts too.

I did bleed more than usual during my transplant, and the technicians had to spray water over my recipient area every 5 minutes or so. Its also true I'm only on day 5 post-op....

Let's see hows its gonna look like at day 7, I'm afraid to rub too much and risk to pulling out graft, so I'd rather have blood crusts for a couple extra days compared to losing the grafts