Nw3 - fue

I am a LONG time lurker on these forums, but this is my first post. I would like to start by thanking all of you for the life changing advice, and support that this forum, and others have provided me with.

I started suffering from MPB in my early 20s. I got on propecia in my late 20s. I started rogaine, and nizoral shampoo about two years ago. I have stabilized my hair loss at a NW3 ish - I am 38 now. Even though my hair loss is stable, I stopped it at a weird place. I basically have one style option - comb forward. I have been doing this since my 20s. I am ready to do something about it!

I am interested in FUE, and I would like to go as conservative as possible. I have no problem with a mature hairline. I would be happy with a full NW3, or a NW 2.5 (a la Steve Nash). I want to do the minimum number of grafts I can get away with.

I am aware of many of the leading HT surgeons, but I want ya'lls opinion, and advice. Please view my photographs. All advice / recommendations will be valued, and greatly appreciated.

Money is not an issue, but I would prefer to stay in the USA for the procedure. I am only interested in FUE.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Your brother in the battle.

20131129_150809.jpg.e7ddf54ce5134da2bbbb34dca306e222.jpg

20131129_150849.jpg.e459eb90b18495c9b02a7b83c96974fb.jpg

20131129_150925.jpg.5997567948c5d65776784190b1a4b49e.jpg

good luck I am sure one of the FUE gurus will reply, I am not sure who produces consistent results for FUE in the US. I do know Rahal does fue up in Toronto

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I am interested in FUE, and I would like to go as conservative as possible. I have no problem with a mature hairline. I would be happy with a full NW3, or a NW 2.5 (a la Steve Nash). I want to do the minimum number of grafts I can get away with.
Smart.

I know you want to stay in the states but if money is not an issue and you want to know you are working with one of the best you should fly to Belgium (Feriduni/Bisanga) or UK (Lorenzo).

good to hear you are think conservatively, smart, 1500 FUE would easily do the trick, best of luck

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

If money was not an issue and I wanted to have FUE done, I would go to Dr. Lorenzo.

Staying in the U.S. I would probably go to SMG or Dr. Wesley (he has produced a lot of sweet results and seems to go unnoticed, I have not seen anything bad about him at all).

If North America was open I would consider Dr. Rahal as well.

It looks like you are concerned about the bridge behind your frontal forelock. Are you dropping your corners at all? You have a lot of options with your age, plus that persistent forelock will save you a lot of grafts. I would go with what makes you happy and not worry about graft number as much as design and goals, then pick an awesome doctor and go for it. When people get wrapped up in a graft number, they WILL find a doctor who will give them that many, whether it is too little or too much. Set a goal and find the graft number from that goal. Going with too few grafts (or too many) can make a head of hair look worse than if there were no HT at all IMO.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for all your replies.

I am concerned about the bridge area behind my forelock. I would definitely like to have that area reinforced - it needs it. I would also like to fill in my temple corners a bit. I don't really want to alter my hairline dramatically, but just reinforce it. As subtle as possible.

I have had this same hairline for almost 10 years, so it seems my corners are hanging tough.

Spanker can you elaborate on my "options"?

I would say that your options are to reinforce the area behind the hairline only and do nothing else and your hair would still look good.

Reinforce your hairline and drop your corners while adding hair to the bridge.

Or, drop the corners a bit and reinforce the bridge and outer portion of the hairline, which is probably the one I would go with.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

1,500 is a low number and will spread you thin over a large area, usually this number is good for hairline density procedures etc. like my HT#2.

I would go with around 2,500 grafts if you are going to do it and can afford the higher number of grafts.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

It depends on how much you want to drop the corners but I would guess 2000 but you should send better pics to the doctor you are considering, tell him exactly what you are wanting and get an estimate.

View Spanker's Website

Spanker mentioned 3 options:

1. reinforce the area behind the hairline only and do nothing else

2. Reinforce your hairline and drop your corners while adding hair to the bridge

3. Dropping the corners a bit, reinforcing the bridge and outer portion of the hairline

Which of these would be the most conservative option? #1 right?

I really want as little work as possible done, but I also want a solid result. My original thoughts were to reinforce the bridge, and reinforce the hairline, and area behind the hairline. This would leave me at a norwood 2.5 / 3, but solid.

I have attached another picture of my hair wet, and I put lines where I want my hairline, and circled the area I want reinforced. This might help ya'll give me better advice.

Thanks again guys - you guys rock!

20131201_122909.jpg.c0a3dfeaa4fe5605f1746256e803ddde.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, I[m officially scheduled with Dr. Rahal May 28th - he estimated 2000 grafts, but I am hoping it gets knocked down to 1500-1800 at the hairline consultation pre-op. Im good with a Daniel Craig, or Gary Oldman look!

Scared as shit! Excited too.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a good idea to try to convince the surgeon you need less than what he recommends (2000 grafts)?

I would like to do less than 1500 for several reasons. Less invasive, hopefully less trauma to the head, and therefore recovery is quicker, and less noticeable. I want to be discreet, and take the least amount of risk possible.

I am nervous. I want the surgery to be as minimal as humanly possible.

Thoughts?

My 2 cents, take some time to really figure out what type of hairline (and coverage) you want, and if Rahal gives you the thumbs up on it go with that and forget about whether it's 1500 or 2000 grafts. If something goes terribly wrong (don't worry you'll be fine), you're going to basically be in the same boat whether you went with 1500 or 2000. So the question is, 6-8 months after the surgery when the results are coming in do you want to look at your hair and say, "Ya know, I really wish I had..." or do you want to get what you really wanted?

Spanker mentioned 3 options:

1. reinforce the area behind the hairline only and do nothing else

2. Reinforce your hairline and drop your corners while adding hair to the bridge

3. Dropping the corners a bit, reinforcing the bridge and outer portion of the hairline

Which of these would be the most conservative option? #1 right?

I really want as little work as possible done, but I also want a solid result. My original thoughts were to reinforce the bridge, and reinforce the hairline, and area behind the hairline. This would leave me at a norwood 2.5 / 3, but solid.

I have attached another picture of my hair wet, and I put lines where I want my hairline, and circled the area I want reinforced. This might help ya'll give me better advice.

Thanks again guys - you guys rock!

2000 GRAFTS is not enough IMO , it wont be dense, and aesthetic.

A NW2 2000 Grafts would be fine, but you're a NW3 with hair loss behind the forelock with an island in formation.

2500 grafts would be optimal

Is it a good idea to try to convince the surgeon you need less than what he recommends (2000 grafts)?

I would like to do less than 1500 for several reasons. Less invasive, hopefully less trauma to the head, and therefore recovery is quicker, and less noticeable. I want to be discreet, and take the least amount of risk possible.

I am nervous. I want the surgery to be as minimal as humanly possible.

Thoughts?

It wont make a difference if it was 1500 or 3000. The growth timeline, and recovery wont change. The area being transplanted is going to change that whole forelock, and temporal region will be shaved down and transplanted. Now ask yourself this, do you want a good result or a mediocre result. 2500 grafts is what you need