How would you feel dating a woman who didn't like bald men?

Ok,

I thought I would share this one with the community and see what there thoughts are on the subject.

I got with a woman recently who said it was nice dating a man in his 40's with a good head of hair. I suppose I should take it as a compliment as she couldn't tell I've had a hair transplant, but even though I've got a pretty decent head of hair now, it's because of how people perceive men going bald that bothered me so much in the first place to get an ht.

It wasn't the only reason but definitely played on my mind.

Could you date a woman with those views after all you had gone through? Especially knowing that one day we may lose our fight with hairloss?

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

It's interesting how many women say "oh it doesn't matter to me if a guy is bald...hair is over-rated...I dont even notice" but then you look at their Facebook and all the celeb guys they adore have hair!

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Great thread IrishSailor.

Definitely take that as a compliment of the work you have had done.

Difficult that one - could debate that all day. Interested to read members thoughts.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Great thread IrishSailor.

Definitely take that as a compliment of the work you have had done.

Difficult that one - could debate that all day. Interested to read members thoughts.

Yes I did have a smirk on my face when she said nice head of hair, if only she knew:)

I suppose even if I don't lose another hair, I know I should of been a Norwood 5 by now if it wasn't for meds and finding this site and researched a great dr in dr feller .

i mean lets face it were all here cuz we dont like being bald, its pretty unattractive unless you have darker skin and work out, but even then if you had hair you would look much better and younger, its the equivalent of dating a woman with bad skin

i mean lets face it were all here cuz we dont like being bald, its pretty unattractive unless you have darker skin and work out, but even then if you had hair you would look much better and younger, its the equivalent of dating a woman with bad skin

I agree that we're all here because we don't like our receding hairlines. And I understand we all look for different things in people.

I guess it just bothered me regarding her views on bald men.

I can understand it bothering you.

I heard a girl at work taking about feeling sick looking at her boyfriend going bald and I haven't respected get since.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Interesting how women perceive all that. I heard my friends and non-friends talking about how guys lost their hair and not even reach 30 - like it's their fault, how horrible. They didn't ask themselves even once why all of them with 30 years old have tits 'till floor, fat legs and greasy stomachs, but hey - people see only what they want to see.

I dated a woman one time who told me "you know, you'd be really good looking if you had more hair." I felt like saying "we'll you'd be really sweet if you weren't such a bitch." Some people just don't think before they speak.

I think the woman you were with may have just been giving you a compliment and I would take it as just that and a testament to the good work you had done. We tend to think that women who say they'll never be attracted to a balding guy are shallow but I must admit that I would never be attracted to an over weight woman, so it just depends on personal preferences.

i cant tell you how many times this has happened, people ( i no) look at the top of my head then look back at me and say, your going bald... why? your only 25? why? lol

Just goes to show how many people have no idea how prejudiced they are, and society itself is, toward either balding or whatever (negative) thing it represents. Some of these people have no idea how devastating the sound of their own voice will be, when it rings in the ears of the poor fellow on the receiving end. Some of these people mean no harm. Others, of course, can pretend to be innocent like this, but they know full well, the value of bringing you down a chip or two in the office, bar, car park..whatever!! Life is beautiful, don't get me wrong!!

These people who say they don't care about balding have no idea about the program that runs through our heads, one that totally overrides any conscious attempt to 'fair' to balding. Similar in some ways to when you see a sexy girl sit up to reveal a less than flattering lower half. Suddenly, you are, we'll conscious of the time of day again. But in the case of figures, etc., it can be slightly different, viz-a-viz the way it is delicately negotiated. Balding is still in the rodeo of social discussion, and its randomness plays hell with your nerves.

Of course, it can't be talked about openly, one of those things you don't bring up, for good reason.:)

Edited by scar5
It ain't just hair

Yes but there is a difference between judgment in vocal response why somebody has no hair and someone who is deliberately overweight for example. When you are overweight because you don't care about yourself, that's totally different from someone who is genetically fat or bald. Yeah, many girls or women just don't know why men going bald - because those who are losing hair have more testosterone which incline they are more man than those with full hair. From science point of view that's true. But since we are poisoned with Hollywood crap that everybody must look like plastic actors, pressure is big. It's the same story with girls, those who have small breasts or are overweight, men are judging with same disrespect like girls do - no argue in that.

My current partner said the same to me when she met me, that the first thing she noticed about a guy was his hair and that she liked mine.

She stayed with me even after my HT thinned out a little and supported my second one.

So it just depends I guess. Have to say I am lucky but agree about society's "paranoia" in general towards thinning and balding.

And yes Hollywood does play a big part in it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
And yes Hollywood does play a big part in it.

That perception exists all over the world and it's not just from Hollywood. Hair has long been associated with virility - the story of Samson and Delilah goes back to the Old Testament:

"Samson had two vulnerabilities, however: his attraction to untrustworthy women and his hair, without which he was powerless. These vulnerabilities ultimately proved fatal for him."

Does 'Hollywood' feed into it? To some degree. But it didn't create it. Also, look at all the hair restoration clinics popping up in Europe. European men as every bit as looks conscious as men in the US. I travel there often for work and they put a great emphasis on appearance/style.

As far as women go, they are going to pick up on anything that affects your confidence. I would take what this particular woman said as a compliment.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Of course it does but you shouldn't only quote old testament in your favor. Remember that in old Roman empire, Greece and any other big empire, culture or civilization, bald man were considered more manly, experienced and had bigger status in society. Since the introduction of big corporate magnates in 20th century, a perception of what is good or what is bad got opposite dimension since the Hollywood. Why do you see so many Asians, Indians and other races going crazy on 'white men', bleaching their skin, dying their hair to blonde, plastic surgeries to look more like Caucasian? Because of the old testament? Please :) It's a corporate crappy marketing which literally ruined the world. I do Photoshop for living and you can't imagine how many people are unaware of pictures that you see everyday in magazines, TV and internet - these are brutally 'raped' or processed in Photoshop to get bigger boobs, better hair, skin like a glass, tan like a Rhyanna etc. And people are taking that with total thrust - like it's natural. Many are convinced that people in those kind of photos are realistic and they naturally look that good.

Did people started bleaching their teeth into unnaturally white because of historical influence in antics? No, because of Hollywood. Did people started to wear full suits to work at 40C because of history dilemma? No, ask designers of clothes why their moronic designs made people to wear suits with ties on 40C in the summer and why there's global warming (in part from them) from all those air-conditioners working and heating up the air, spending enormous power electricity...

You have to understand that many things have changed from the starting of marketing. A deceiving picture of perfectness is why you, me and all the guys here are now chatting on this forum instead of having normal bald life.

Men have been wearing wigs for centuries. Marketing and Hollywood are two different things. Here's an ad from 1921 for cleaner, whiter teeth (result of a 15 second google search):

Old Ads Are Funny: 1921 ad: Oil Your Teeth with Clorox Tooth Paste

The vast majority of people in the world had not seen a moving picture then. You can easily make the argument that the movies shape society and/or vice-versa. They influence each other. Why do you think movies spend so much time in testing and focus groups?

By the way, 'a deceiving picture of perfectness' is not why all the guys on here are now chatting on this forum instead of having normal bald life. I didn't want to be like my father. I'd look at his bald head and freak out in my mind. Deeper psychological issues than the effect marketing has had on me. I've heard that from other balding men actually. Although I won't deny marketing and society has had an impact on me and how I feel about my hair.

Not that I want to point only on Hollywood but in that time it was already a huge corporation with a goal to 'take over the world' with something so new and fresh it looked like an out of the world amusement. Radical changes of the world in the terms of value quality in people are disturbed since then. People cannot distinguish what is natural and what is not - it sure isn't ugly to look bald or with small boobs (women). But since the first boobs of Hollywood tell me how many girls went to boob job? Millions. Before that? Surely not millions. It's like in every sphere of something that is deliberately put in front of your nose. If something bad is repeated 1000 times it will become good.

Forget MPB. That's the gene we should be mapping in the human genome - The Immune From The Evils of Hollywood Gene. :)

Edited by Since21

I was probably mistaken since my English is not native by any mean when tried to explain that, of course, Hollywood is not responsible for MPB but gene (as seen in my post on page 2). But Hollywood is indeed responsible for making us feeling guilty, insecure, feeling depressive (some even suicidal - as you saw some words from a guy from India who sad he would kill himself because of bad hair and massive society rape) because we don't look like Brad Fuck'n Pitt, Johny Depp or some other mediocre actor, singer or a 'celebrity' star. That's what is all about... Bollywood, what's that? A famous Indian actress said few months ago that every actor and actresses is using skin bleaching and because of that a huuuge sale of those chemicals is in that country. Remember Michael Jackson? Offtopic, I know, but that is all related!

I remember when I went to a plastic surgeon to see me and my wishes about correcting my nose since I broke it when I was younger. I had troubles breathing and didn't like it since it didn't have a natural look as it suppose to have. Anyway, guy instantly told me a real picture: "Please don't expect a radical change and surely don't force me to give you a nose as a Hollywood star since every man or woman who comes to me brings me photos of celebrities with their noses, breasts, cheeks, eyes etc." That's what to plastic surgeon told me and he was sincere among many others who are not. So, if somebody doesn't accept that fact about "Hollywood evil" after all the facts, I have no problem with it. :)

Your English was clear. We'll just have to agree to disagree as I think you are giving way too much credit and power to one single entity (Hollywood) when hair and its association with virility have gone back thousands of years. Hollywood is simply a gross manifestation of what already existed. I take a lot of my spiritual practice from the East and 'The Bhagavad Gita' specifically, so I know that not everyone in your country is given to such delusion. :)

No problems about disagreeing. I hope that you are not insulted in some way because of Hollywood and it's origin. Just one question, what do you mean by East and 'The Bhagavad Gita' and 'my country'? I am not from India. I live in southeastern Europe.