Just had SMP session at Hasson & Wong :)

Wanted to give my input on how my procedure went with Hasson & Wong

Little bit about me,diffuse thinner so HT was not an option for me,went and saw H&W numerous times to see if I could qualify for an Ht and it was always a no.

Back in 2012 I flew out to New York to get Smp work done by Milena from Beauty Medical,this was a fairly quick pass all over my head,however it lasted for almost 10 months.

Anyways with the Smp fading quick I needed to decide to either grow back my diffuse hair or stick with the shaved look which Smp gives you.

I decided Smp was the route I was gonna take,met with Joe(Jotronic),because I knew that H&W techs had been trained by Milena the choice was a no brainer,also the fact that their office is only 25 minutes fom my house.

Anyways it's been 4 days since my session and things look great,the tech who worked on me was so thorough and wanted to make sure I was happy,she took her time which I appreciated.

I was a bit unsure going in as I know H&W are known for ht's but I know this Smp thing is new to everyone but Milena.

Am I happy yes,if I could go back and do it again would I ?yes however when this does fade I will ask for a more mature hairline.

Hopefully Joe can chime in with some pics...more then happy to answer any questions.

Congratulations! I'd love to see some images as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

whats the cost every time you would need a touch up for fading???? ( for instance a re-do every year of so ) Does hasson and wong charge by the hour or do they use another method of pricing??

Cost is $500 per zone per pass,most likely a touch up once a year will be one or two zones with one pass each,so anywhere from $500 to 1k annually.

Over the course of say 10 years can range from 5k-10k to maintain the look.

This depends on number of variables,protection from the sun,excessive sweating,how quickly it fades,it varies on each person.

Zones are categorized front,middle,crown

Hey guys, sorry for not providing the images yet. I'm going to share them on behalf of SRK735. I've been away on a long overdue vacation. I'll work on getting those photos uploaded today and maybe along with some others.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Here are SRK's photos. He represents what we would consider to be a small case because we only had to do the front of his scalp, the hairline and some of the mid-scalp. He is a diffused thinner and this result I'm sharing is after one pass.

90549_eb186e_feff11.jpg

59120_3d87f1_dfbaf8.jpg

90554_d5b3fc_8412fc.jpg

90557_1f35e2_d601c8.jpg

90559_8c769b_7674c5.jpg

Edited by Jotronic

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Here are two close ups to show how fine the dots are. It is difficult to see in the first photos mainly because of the glare. I'm going to be building a new studio soon so hopefully this can be reduced or eliminated.

55853_3bddb7_724587.jpg

55854_1ecefd_93b642.jpg

Great work!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I like the small dots and the absence of a 'blue', but still I can't say it is good.

I think the hairline looks unnatural and strange. This is the biggest problem.

Also, and this is a lesser complaint, the density of dots is too consistent, in areas where buzzed hair always reveals variation, such as behind the corners of the temples.

If this is "excellent" and "great" etc., I don't think SMP is anywhere near the mark it promotes.

I like the small dots and the absence of a 'blue', but still I can't say it is good.

I think the hairline looks unnatural and strange. This is the biggest problem.

Also, and this is a lesser complaint, the density of dots is too consistent, in areas where buzzed hair always reveals variation, such as behind the corners of the temples.

If this is "excellent" and "great" etc., I don't think SMP is anywhere near the mark it promotes

I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome to be honest,I met a guy on the weekend who is considering smp and wanted to see it in person,he couldn't tell what was dots and what was my real hair.

i agree that it looks strange, however, its not because of the smp, this person has a naturally weird shaped hairline, very boxy and kinda draws your eyes there

I don't think the hairline is strange at all,would I have like to gone for a maturer hairline yes,but I am still quite happy with the results,remember smp is not for everyone,you really cannot expect ht results however what you can expect is a better situation then your current one.i think there is people out there who are not candidates for hairtransplants who would benefit from smp to improve the quality of life.

The biggest mistake of SMP practitioners who have got passed their A, B, Cs is to try to replicate the natural hairline. Any artist will tell you art is deception. SMP is not hair and we shouldn't try to follow nature too much if we want to pretend to be natural. I know it sounds like a loada art school BS, but I really believe it. Why? Because the things we identify with immediately take over from the subtle overall appearance. We see a former hairline and try to paint dots up to that hairline, then pop in some variations for effect, and it won't do. All buzzed heads show a marked variation in density and thickness of hair under the skin. Do SMP artists take this into account. They will, soon enough, but so far all I see is a 'fill the glass' approach, with the area designated and then 'filled'. I've heard a lot of BS about how variation is applied in tone and density, but the reality is, they are pumping down on that thing like a Jack hammer on a city street in summer ten minutes before knock off time in front of the pub. And I would do the same if I fancied keeping my livelihood.

This guy, (and I mean no disrespect as I have been on the wrong end of laughable SMP myself, and humiliated in my workplace for it) shouldn't have been painted a straight line along that ridge which is strange enough. The SMP people should have taken a good hard look at the geometry going on here and came up with something better.

Secondly, they should have used finer dots in the NW 1 loss areas and pumped up in the NW2-3 areas.

That's what I think. As I said, It looks strange, and my conjecture about why this is the case is much less in value than my immediate perception that tells me, oh..wait up! What's up with this?

By the way, I look strange too. So you are welcome to say I am a miserable SOB wanting to share my pain!

So on the one hand I say don't copy nature, then I say if it doesn't look like nature, it's no good! I clarify with this disclaimer; hairlines and SMP are a marriage conceived in hell, so don't try to copy the original. And secondly, do try to replicate the impression of patchiness based on miniaturization of a typical male, I.e. some degree of miniaturization, except spare the crown! Lol.

"All buzzed heads show a marked variation in density and thickness of hair under the skin. Do SMP artists take this into account."

Scar, You are correct, and I'm not sure what other SMP practitioners do or are taught, but Beauty Medical does teach that there are different zones of density. And yes, there are various techniques to achieve various looks as well. As far as using "finer" dots, there are two needles we use; a trico (scalp) needle, and a skin needle (eyebrows/beard). The only way to achieve finer dots is to move the needle in/out faster. Leave it in longer you will inject more pigment leading to a darker, sometimes larger dot. The other variable here is the person's skin. The other day I worked on an older patient and I can tell you it was very different than working on a younger person's skin.

SMP, like HTs, is not an exact science. You have variables, including what the customer wants to achieve.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 1 month later...

Hasson & Wong > your favorite HT Doctor

Wow these guys continue to impress me every time in everything they do. Not only with HT but now with SMP. Are they just extra good at taking pics and advertising or are they really the best of the best? I live in South Florida and am considering the travel to have their work performed when the time comes. Opinions please?

Scar5, that video you posted "I wanna scream and shout and let it all.." is a COMPLETE joke compared to this. Wow, it really does depend on who performs the work.

I think this looks great. I feel like the fade time is shorter than originally advertised on average (advertised in general, not by H and W) but even a trip once a year to maintain a look that good is worth it IMO. Not an option for me, but for the right person, it is killer.

I am looking forward to seeing a NW 5 or 6 shooting for NW2ish look with FUE and SMPing the donor and recipient for a full shaved look. Not sure if it is realistic, but it would if it is, I would like to see it. Looking forward to seeing more scars with SMP as well.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think this looks great. I feel like the fade time is shorter than originally advertised on average (advertised in general, not by H and W) but even a trip once a year to maintain a look that good is worth it IMO. Not an option for me, but for the right person, it is killer.

I am looking forward to seeing a NW 5 or 6 shooting for NW2ish look with FUE and SMPing the donor and recipient for a full shaved look. Not sure if it is realistic, but it would if it is, I would like to see it. Looking forward to seeing more scars with SMP as well.

Agree. I am also looking forward to seeing more SMP results where it is used to thicken thinning areas. I see it as an ideal way to add say 30% density to the look without having to chew up grafts. It seems ideal for the crown.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Agree. I am also looking forward to seeing more SMP results where it is used to thicken thinning areas. I see it as an ideal way to add say 30% density to the look without having to chew up grafts. It seems ideal for the crown.

I agree with Joe that I do not think it is as effective in thickening the look of a person's hair that is longer. It works quite well though on the shorter look. Right now, I think one of the biggest steps in SMP is developing a temp look that actually lasts 2 years or more consistently. Or a permanent ink that can be easily lased off if needed that does not turn blue or bleed.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with Joe that I do not think it is as effective in thickening the look of a person's hair that is longer. It works quite well though on the shorter look. Right now, I think one of the biggest steps in SMP is developing a temp look that actually lasts 2 years or more consistently. Or a permanent ink that can be easily lased off if needed that does not turn blue or bleed.

Joe would know better than me but I have seen some nice thickening effect results. Hairthere posted those of his and his brother which showed a nice improvment in the apparent density. No doubt that SMP has the largest impact with a shorter look but I have to believe it can provide that "edge" that somone may be looking for density wise with longer hair.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452