ARTAS FUE Transplant by Dr. Paul Shapiro - 2007 grafts

Sadbuttrue,

I really don't know how much grew. Right now i'm in process of sending pic's to SMG to get an accurate and fair assessment to them year over year. All i can say is that i didn't get near the result i anticipated. I will repost again to show an accurate comparison from the first procedure to the second. In my own opinion there is very little difference from the end result of both procedure's.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artas is such a new procedure and your right there are bound to be bugs and i got bit. I guess i can say i took one for the team.

That makes me so upset. I had planned to get the manual fue procedure but they kept pushing the Artas as a superior choice to manual. I didn't realize we were guinea pigs. I had only agreed to Artas after they called me and said the people from Artas were going to be there during my surgery but that never happened.

Edited by Forever21

We encourage all our patients who are concerned with growth to contact us directly so that we can assess their progress properly.

We have a reputation for being conservative and cautious and it's especially true with the Artas. We feel it's better to be cautious than be agressive with a new instrumentation. So the issue of growth may be due to less grafts rather than the extraction method.

As mentioned below of Dr. Ron's participation in the Artas conference in February, I encourage those with issues and concerns to meet with him in Southern California next week.

I recently addressed some of the concerns with the Artas on another thread - here is my post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We understand that there are some issues of growth/concerns with few of our patients who had the Artas used.

No matter what type of procedure we do at SMG, we take utmost care in achieving satifactory outcomes . Please contact Matt or myself so that our physicians can review your files objectively with proper pictures and surgery data. If there is an issue of yield with the Artas, we'd certainly like to know about it. Aside from few posters here, the feedback we've been getting from our Artas patients have been positive. There is a conference next week with Restoration Robotics and all the physicians using the ARTAS, it'd be good to present our cases whether it's positive or negative.

When we first started using the Artas, the main concern we were hearing was the size of the punch, that the dull punch size was considered too big and therefore it may create unexceptable donor scars. We started and still maintain our cautious approach in using the Artas. We generally start off the two day FUE procedure by using the Artas the first day. If the grafts look good under the microscope we'd proceed, or switch to SAFE if the extractions were difficult. The second day we'd use the SAFE method to even out the extraction pattern and get remaining grafts needed.

Janna,

Thank you for clarifying.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...
I had my surgery on feb 3rd-4th with Dr Ron Shapiro. Unfortunately the results are not what i had been expecting, very disappointed with the Artas. I sent in my year review a couple of weeks ago have yet to hear back from them. I'm sure they are aware of the poor results now that there first trials are coming up on a year. I really wish i could have those graft's back and do it the right way this time. No more Artas for me, just straight FUE by hand. i had 1800 grafts this go round. this was my second procedure with SMG first time around i had 1800 as well. Not really a noticeable difference between the 1st and 2nd procedure results.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. SMG is one of the world leaders in the HT field. I'm honestly shocked seeing your result as SMG usually produces impeccable hairlines but that does not look natural at all. I'm sure SMG will get you straightened around as they are first class but yes I think you have a right to be upset.

Hdude,

Wings isn't stating his hairline looks unnatural. I believe he's stating there's mp difference between surg #1 and surg #2. The pic he's posted is with his hair straight up, which isn't the most flattering shot.

We're waiting on better and more recent pics from Wings. Of course we hope that he'll notice a difference but we'll work with him to get him to where we feel he should be.

Hdude,

Wings isn't stating his hairline looks unnatural. I believe he's stating there's mp difference between surg #1 and surg #2. The pic he's posted is with his hair straight up, which isn't the most flattering shot.

We're waiting on better and more recent pics from Wings. Of course we hope that he'll notice a difference but we'll work with him to get him to where we feel he should be.

The hairline comment was my own observation. The pinkish hue at the recipient site and the way the grafts are place just make it look unnatural to me. Obviously this is the exception to your clinics usual great results, although it seems there have been a few posters here lately not satisfied with their result.

Janna, is SAFE a robotic procedure? Does SMG not perform manual FUE?

The SAFE system is a motorized punch but operated by hand

Wow, thanks captain for the video on Dr. Harris's SAFE system.

I was going to explain that there is a difference between SAFE (dull punch) vs the sharp drill on Dr. Dorin's drill. Each type of drill can take out quality grafts as long at the extractor is experienced and skilled at it. Dr. Dorin and Dr. Harris are experienced extractors obviously and make the use of using their instruments look easy.

I've been researching Fue options for several years, the Safe system operated by Dr Harris seems very good. The drill Dr Dorin uses is not a Safe drill. Here is a video of the Safe system.

Nice pick up. I had forgotten that True and Dorin do not use the SAFE system unlike alot of North American surgeons.

This picture shows growth 1 year after the ARTAS FUE procedure. I'd love to hear your thoughts as Dr. Paul has stated that this is the end result and near 100% of the result has been achieved. :confused:

Anymore shots in different lighting so we can make a better analysis?

This picture shows growth 1 year after the ARTAS FUE procedure. I'd love to hear your thoughts as Dr. Paul has stated that this is the end result and near 100% of the result has been achieved. :confused:

I respect Dr. Shapiro's work and will probably have a procedure with he or his brother in the next year or so. With that said, this is a very disappointing result.