The pros/cons of FUE. Myths dispelled.

Mickey85

Is it possible to grow hair long/medium length with FUE? You rarely see cases with longer hair. Something like this julian.jpg

yes, it is possible. The grafted hair will grow the same length as it did in its original location.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Good to know. Just never see people with that sort of length after a ht. Would it probably take close to 2 years to get that length? As it take 5 months for hair to even start growing.

"Maybe "How is it different to work on thick/thin hair?" That's a good question Magnum.

Hello Atticus,

I cannot speak to the work of an individual physician that I have not observed through a procedure. I can address this question from the general level of the challenge proposed. That is in the extraction of the hair shaft. When hair is exceptionally thick extraction time is generally increased because it is more difficult to isolate an individual follicular unit for extraction. So more effort is definitely is involved in a manual extraction process. Extraction challenge can also lead to more transection (damage) of FUs. ISHRS has established a special FUE committee to address standardization and advancement of FUE. Some of the members are FUE recommended surgeons. You may want to pose your question to one of them or the committee Chairman Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is also on HTN, hope this helps. All the Best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hello Atticus,

I cannot speak to the work of an individual physician that I have not observed through a procedure. I can address this question from the general level of the challenge proposed. That is in the extraction of the hair shaft. When hair is exceptionally thick extraction time is generally increased because it is more difficult to isolate an individual follicular unit for extraction. So more effort is definitely is involved in a manual extraction process. Extraction challenge can also lead to more transection (damage) of FUs. ISHRS has established a special FUE committee to address standardization and advancement of FUE. Some of the members are FUE recommended surgeons. You may want to pose your question to one of them or the committee Chairman Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is also on HTN, hope this helps. All the Best, Michael.

Do you ever post something without trying to promote the surgeon you work for?

Is it possible to grow hair long/medium length with FUE? You rarely see cases with longer hair. Something like this julian.jpg

Hello Jessop;

This depends on your natural Hair Growth Cycle. If you are able to wear your hair style similar to the pick you post now. A successful FUE is not more than relocating (transplanting) your natural hair follicles into thinning and balding areas. AFter about 9 months to a year, your hair should resume it normal growth cycle. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hi all.

You just wonder who sitting on the site, is it a guy who wants to help you or a guy who is looking to get you to pay his commission fee. If you ask about certain HT doc they will give u other HT doc. Why some docs are better then the others? They all have websites to see their work, I just wonder sometimes who to trust.

I've been coming to this forum for the past two year and I've never got an honest answer from anyone.

Hope there are people out there who can help others not just for the sake of money.

Thanks

Hi all.

You just wonder who sitting on the site, is it a guy who wants to help you or a guy who is looking to get you to pay his commission fee. If you ask about certain HT doc they will give u other HT doc. Why some docs are better then the others? They all have websites to see their work, I just wonder sometimes who to trust.

I've been coming to this forum for the past two year and I've never got an honest answer from anyone.

Hope there are people out there who can help others not just for the sake of money.

Thanks

I don't get paid by anyone in the hair industry hehe.

Atticus, have head from you that Dr. Umar did a very good job on your eyebrow. Can you please show me your eyebrow picture please.

I will take some soon.

Atticus :)

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I can't find the post now, but someone wrote that "even Dr. Umar says you have to always trim transplanted eyebrow hair". Clarification - Constant trimming may be needed for someone who has had head hair transplanted in to the eyebrow area because head hair grows long and rapidly and require daily trimming, thus Dr. Umar's statement (though I have not read him saying that).

In Dr. Umar's case/my case, he used hair that mimics eyebrow hair. Further clarification, Dr. Umar may have said leg hair may need trimming ever three weeks or so, as opposed to daily with head hair. The leg hair in my eyebrows doesn't really need trimming, however, I trim them (maybe every three weeks) to shape them in to cool looking brows as is the style in men now.

Finally, as people age, they have to start trimming their eyebrow hairs anyway. All in all, my eyebrow work has kicked ass for me. I actually have eyebrows and no longer feel weird.

Atticus

Edited by Atticus

I think it will carry on like that Mickey. Fue has been around approximately 10-15 years and given another 10 to 15 years, it will reach now heights as barriers are broken through.There is no disputing that the consumer is demanding Fue and that will not change.

The clinics have to realise this and take it on board. The industry will evolve over time as anything does and trying to resist this is not going to work in the long term as the procedure will become more refined producing more consistent, high quality natural results

But if something new comes along ie Dr Wesley's technique, Dr Gho's technique, another new technique or pioneering new drugs and proved to be the real deal, then this may change this natural progression altogether.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I think it will carry on like that Mickey. But if something new comes along ie Dr Wesley's technique, Dr Gho's technique, another new technique or pioneering new drugs and proved to be the real deal, then this may change this progression altogether.

I'm not convinced on Dr. Gho. A surgeon that was interested in learning his technique told me Gho does not return his calls. Even without that, his results are not of a high caliber hehe. Dr. Wesley's technique sounds interesting but need to see real results first, I'll just wait til then ;) Would be interesting to see the 2010-2012 graph.

I am not convinced either by Dr Gho from everything I have seen so far, and looking forward to Dr Wesley's technique.

I could write a lot on my thoughts on Dr Gho but I haven't got time to that at this present moment. :)

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

FUE got off to a very rocky start because partly because it was seen as a threat to the then-current industry but also(mostly) due to the secrecy that it was shrouded in. It's kind of sad because it did hold back FUE for a another 6 or so years before it actually became viable enough and the tools and techniques were improved to a level where the results were acceptable. The FUE we can now is what we should have been getting 5-6 years ago :( Imagine another 5 years!!! Hehe

Mickey,

In 2012, FUE is now estimated to represent a whopping 40% of all hair transplant procedures performed in the US each year!

What's more, I think it will continue growing as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Chris,

Also, while I think these new techniques, especially donor doubling techniques, will continue growing in popularity as well, it is interesting to note that all of these procedures (thus far) are FUE based. For example, both Dr. Wesley's Pilofocus and donor regeneration techniques (kind of like Dr. Gho's hair stem cell transplant) are still carried out via follicular unit extraction techniques and use (for the most part) FUE punch tools. I feel like this demonstrates the growth of FUE as well!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good point Future _HT_Doc.

Here's to the day when we can say:

Strip - 0%

FUE - 0%

Hair cloning - 100%

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Mickey,

In 2012, FUE is now estimated to represent a whopping 40% of all hair transplant procedures performed in the US each year!

What's more, I think it will continue growing as well.

Hot damn!! Thats pretty amazing. Thanks for the info Blake :)