The pros/cons of FUE. Myths dispelled.

Mickey85

Atticus, have head from you that Dr. Umar did a very good job on your eyebrow. Can you please show me your eyebrow picture please.

If you are determined to get one, then Umar might be a good choice. I responded to your previous post but forgot to follow up. Umar can use leg hair which will not grow as long and could be a better match than head hair in some cases. Even he says be prepared to always be trimming.

Los Angeles Eyebrow hair transplant Repair

It sounds like a major pain and if it looks bad its right on your face by your eyes of all places where everyone is looking. Drawn eyebrows don't look great either, but a bad result could ruin your life. The same goes for head surgery too though, but I think eyes would be worse because you can't even wear a hat or anything. I guess you could shave them off, but then you would have scarring. Most of the results I have seen look really weird. Also you are seeing their best results, and even those usually look weird. This coming from someone who wants thicker eyebrows, so I'm not trying to down it - just my honest assessment. I tell people the same about hair transplants... You need to be really sure its worth the hassle and the risk. I think most people would be better off without.

Atticus, have head from you that Dr. Umar did a very good job on your eyebrow. Can you please show me your eyebrow picture please.

I'm assuming you've already looked into Latisse? I'm looking into it for myself and Roux coloring since mine are really light. I heard latisse works really well.

Thanks to Mickey for starting and sharing a well balanced view on the pros and cons of FUE. We've recently updated the follicular unit extraction content on the Hair Transplant Network that will soon be including a link to this popular topic.

Does anyone else think we should "sticky" this topic to the top of the forum so that it's easily referenced? :-)

Bill

Thanks to Mickey for starting and sharing a well balanced view on the pros and cons of FUE. We've recently updated the follicular unit extraction content on the Hair Transplant Network that will soon be including a link to this popular topic.

Does anyone else think we should "sticky" this topic to the top of the forum so that it's easily referenced? :-)

Bill

ME ME ME!!!! :P You made my whole week Bill! Thanks for supporting from thread from its very inception :)

I think a sticky is surely in order. it gives patients a better understanding if FUT or FUE is for them personally and would help patients from having to search all over the internet to compare one against the other.

knowledge is power!

Bill of course!

This thread is one of the most informative and balanced thread's i have seen. I wish this thread was about when i first started researching the pros/cons of FUE/FUT it would of saved my hours/days!

Thanks for your interest and additions to the thread. Dr True seems like quite the gentleman with no chip on his shoulder or ego. He has a calming aura. I agree with alot of what he said but it's what he omits that kind of disappoints me.

• 2 weeks later...
:cool:

that is very true. most people do not entertain the idea of body hair as scalp hair though,, hence why big body hair sessions are mainly seen in repairs. if we are talking about scalp only hair, than fut generally allows for more. but you are not wrong in what you are saying.

Hello Gentlemen,

FUT-Strip Method, because of the harvesting method yields more grafts in a session. However, the number in a Strip Method can be much higher. Actually, there are a number of HTN surgeons who perform what is being turned gigasessions very successfully. The key is not only adequate donor hair but also precise measurement of scalp laxity. Extraction techniques may improve to increase the amount of FUs that can be harvested during an FUT-FUE procedure. Robotic systems like ARTAS are an effort to attempt to address that need. One of the things the ISHRS FUE committee chaired by Dr. Parsa Mohebi is examining is the results comparison of the various FUE extraction methods. But as others have stated strip procedures yield more FUs for transplantation, but the number can be much higher than stated. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Given the amazing news of Lorenzo's collaboration with Farjo and his willingness to apply for recommendation here, I will attempt a Q&A with Dr Lorenzo, like a '10 questions with Lorenzo' deal. What you guys reckon?

That would be great!

Any suggestions? He will be reviewing this thread and letting me know what he thinks about it when he has time!

Some questions I was thinking of were:

1) How long have you been practicing hair transplantation?

2) Did you ever practice FUT and FUE simultaneously or FUT exclusively?

3) What made you discard the FUT technique and practice FUE exclusively?

4) What do you see for the future of FUE?

5) What made you get into hair transplantation?

6) What were the significant changes(what changes in tools, technique and method) in FUE since it's birth that have made it a very valid and standalone method for hair transplantation?

7) Why did you select the Choi/lion implanter over the conventional custom cut blades and 'stick and place' method?

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Mickey85

By the way my chat IM is functional again after switching to google Chrome, apologies to all that tried to chat with me as I could not even view the chat box!

Just hit the 5-digit view count :)

Nice!!! Good subject matter.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Any suggestions?
Maybe:

Why does he think it he gets such good results?

How does he combat fatigue? (he does most of the work himself ..right?)

I guess I still wonder about that thought that in Spain the people's hair is generally thick...but I dont know how you could ask that. Maybe "How is it different to work on thick/thin hair?"

Just hit the 5-digit view count :)
Great threads. congrats!

Lorenzo has another surgeon(a female doctor by the name of Dr Xima) so he doesn't do all 3 patients per day himself. That would be impossible. He is the first in the clinic and the last to leave however and does ALOT of the work himself. Will add the questions to the list!

Maybe:

Why does he think it he gets such good results?

How does he combat fatigue? (he does most of the work himself ..right?)

I guess I still wonder about that thought that in Spain the people's hair is generally thick...but I dont know how you could ask that. Maybe "How is it different to work on thick/thin hair?"

Great threads. congrats!

"Maybe "How is it different to work on thick/thin hair?" That's a good question Magnum.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.