too young for hair transplant ?? what the hell!

First of all Im 21 I am an adult. I called Dr Vogels office I gave them a little info and the lady said Im too young !! She said it could be problematic in the future if I got it at this age, I would totally agree if my hairloss was just starting but my hairloss started when I was 15! I tried everything alot of stuff worked but you know the story, as soon as you stop the hair is gone and im so tired of that. Its not just thin its freaking bald. I offered to send pics but she said they would take pics at office. Im pretty sure they will change their mind once they see my head they will change their mind. Do you agree? what are your thoughts

I think once they see how advanced you are, they may be willing to take a conservative approach and work on you even at your age. If you were a NW2 at 21, nobody will touch you with a 10 foot pole but since you are so advanced, I think they will.

Good Luck

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think once they see how advanced you are, they may be willing to take a conservative approach and work on you even at your age. If you were a NW2 at 21, nobody will touch you with a 10 foot pole but since you are so advanced, I think they will.

Good Luck

wow your results are AMAZING !! who did your surgery? which method did he or she use?

wow your results are AMAZING !! who did your surgery? which method did he or she use?

Thanks. The great Dr. Rahal did mine and it was FUT.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

First of all Im 21 I am an adult. I called Dr Vogels office I gave them a little info and the lady said Im too young !! She said it could be problematic in the future if I got it at this age, I would totally agree if my hairloss was just starting but my hairloss started when I was 15! I tried everything alot of stuff worked but you know the story, as soon as you stop the hair is gone and im so tired of that. Its not just thin its freaking bald. I offered to send pics but she said they would take pics at office. Im pretty sure they will change their mind once they see my head they will change their mind. Do you agree? what are your thoughts

Be thankful that was their first response and not "Oh sure we'll do whatever you want!!" 21 is very young and the problem is that if they operate and your hair-loss progresses even more aggressively, as it so often does in young patients, you might end up looking like a freak with an island of hair in the middle of your head. Go see what they have to say, I think that the initial reaction to be reluctant on their part is a very good thing.

Although I don't like generalizing, 21 is pretty young for a hair transplant procedure. In fact, many would argue it's too young.

However, your high Norwood Level may play a factor, so it may be worth while to consult with some clinics. Having said that, I would be very careful when undergoing these consultations. Like Stagger stated, you should be very wary and avoid any quick surgical decisions without adequate research.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Everyone who is ethical is going to be very cautious about doing a HT at age 21. Given your situation it might be different, but definitely don't make a quick decision. Do a lot of research and make sure you know exactly what can be accomplished given your situation and age when considering how much more you might lose down the road. Good luck with your research and your decision.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

If you started balding at 15 then it is highly probable you will end up a NW7. This uncertainty at your age will give every good doctor pause before doing surgery on you. By all means consult, but don't be so eager to get a transplant right now. Don't just consult until you find a doctor willing to give you a transplant.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I would even consider keeping your hair short and doing SMP. I know its sucks to lose hair especailly at a young age but most doctors(theres a link of a recommeded doctor doing a hair transplant on a 17 year old) wouldnt do it for all the reasons that were mentioned.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Good Luck

i can think of at least 3 well known doctors who would operate on a 21 year old nw2...

Care to share, Mickey? Or pm? I'm curious...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

If your going to do this over the web, you need massive amount of head shots, and you need to have a consultation with doc over skpe or in person.

1. Doc should not even talk to you if you have not shaved your head down to a at least a 2 or 1.

You need to see the other side first before you commit to a HT

2. Meet with some local docs, get some opinions.

3. Talk skype, visit in person with some out of town docs.

If your on the path to NW5 to NW 7 you will spend 20 to 30k to be happy. So your $350 flight to someone's office will mean nothing.

Be thankful that was their first response and not "Oh sure we'll do whatever you want!!" 21 is very young and the problem is that if they operate and your hair-loss progresses even more aggressively, as it so often does in young patients, you might end up looking like a freak with an island of hair in the middle of your head. Go see what they have to say, I think that the initial reaction to be reluctant on their part is a very good thing.

I totally agree on her response when I told her my age , its almost like a 12 year old calling to get a boob job lol but my case is very unique I have the head of a 60 year old

I'm gonna upload pics tomorrow , its pretty bad after you guys see how bald I am you all will agree on a transplant lol I don't think ill get any more bald than i am now I've seen my uncles and older cousins theyre all bald the same way I am

You might be surprised champ. What you think may be 'pretty bad' might actually be very minimal. Self conscious people tend to view things under heavier scrutiny than others. Human's also tend to view things harsher on themselves than on others. You probably wouldn't think twice about someone with similar hairloss to you but you are conscious about the same hairloss on yourself. Not a rule, just a common occurrence.

When I say its bad I'm not exaggerating at all lol when I talk to people they always look at my head , when I tell people my age they are in total disbelief I'm just so tired of this and the hats omg I can't wait to trash them I pray to god Dr vogel can help me

You might be surprised champ. What you think may be 'pretty bad' might actually be very minimal. Self conscious people tend to view things under heavier scrutiny than others. Human's also tend to view things harsher on themselves than on others. You probably wouldn't think twice about someone with similar hairloss to you but you are conscious about the same hairloss on yourself. Not a rule, just a common occurrence.

This should be written in stone and put on the mountain top!

I could not agree more

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Why are you only looking at Dr. Vogel if I may ask?

He has good credentials, he's one of the certified surgeons listed on this site, and I've seen some of his work and it looks pretty good . The added bonus is he's not far from me and he's affiliated with John Hopkins

This should be written in stone and put on the mountain top!

I could not agree more

;) Took me a while to learn that...

Tired,

Dr. Vogel is great. Honestly, I think you should feel confident with your decision to consult with him. What's more, because you're young and present a unique case, I'm glad you're meeting with such an ethical, trusted physician.

Look forward to the images.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.