Do you regret it

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the least! My only regret is not doing it sooner. I've said before that my hair is still far from perfect but I no longer feel bald. Love to get another one if my bank account supports it one day.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm only at 6 months post op but I have no regrets at all.

My scar is a total non issue, it's fading lots and it's hard to find even at this early stage.

My hairline is better than it's been for 4 years already, and there's still more growth, thickening and maturing to come. Plus I have the shaved down native area that's not quite back to how it was pre op. Then I'll need my new hair to match the rest, but already it's a huge improvement.

I can't speak for the future, but right now I have no regrets. Minoxidil, Propecia, Spex and Dr. Feller have served me very well so far :)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

No regrets for me. One of the best decisions that I have ever made. I am getting another one in August.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

only regret is that i didnt do it about 5 or 6 years ago, it has had a profound effect on my life.

i am now at the 18 month stage and very pleased with results, but is it absolutely perfect hair? No. Would i like to address the 'problem areas' with more HTs? Yes. Am i happy with how it is now and be happy to live with this hair forever? Absolutely!

So i am unsure if i will get another one sometime in the future, but i am extremely happy i had the surgery.

I'm such a hypocrite, I bash and bitch on about strip and the crimes against humanity...and then i take Propecia. Propecia was offered to me in the mid-90s. I refused. No way am i gonna mess with my hormones...damn f')&')n hair transplant industry..what next? Them slimey ba(')('stds.

THen I tried Dust in 2003. Side effects. Stopped. Then I tried Propecia in 2006/7. By this time my native hairline was NW5.5ish. And suddenly, bamn!!..hair loss halted!! No side effects...what the...? Do I regret it? I was average in every way, except hair. Lovely pretty locks made girls pay attention. Yeah. Then 18! Hair loss..yeah! 19..Ht surgeon, 'Go away and come back one day'. i did at 24. But I was almost over it by then..almost ready, but I was weak. I regretted it immediately. Sure, I loved the mirror, from month 3.5, when suddenly, I had the most beautiful locks again, even better than before! At 26, I could do a good Johnny Depp impersonation. Alas..further loss. 28? Chasing, chasing...30, 32..OK< gotta go short...woah,,,,no idea that HT was ALL ILLUSION! I regret not knowing it was illusion-based. Can't buzz...massive strip scars...ouch...ouch...

Now it is too late to even ask the question. It does not define me. I gotta other stuff to me...but boy-o-boy, what a mother Fyiuyiun complication to add to life..]I honestly don't know what is worse. A DNA balding death sentence or the HT chain gang. Anyway, in hindsight, if I hadda started with the fin, back in 95, who knows, but still, knowing what I knew...I didn't wanna mess with the hormones.

Scar5 can you share your story or do you have a link to where you have previously posted it? I want to know what doctor/s you went to what methods were used etc

Basically I want to know if you made mistakes and did things different to me, or if we're on the same path and that I'm also destined to be negative and cynical about everything. I'm very aware that my positivity could be short term. I hate the thought of the future...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Best thing I ever did! I'm sure you will find those people who went to "good doctors" will have a positive response while those who have had "botched" HT's the opposite.

Sounds simple but sometimes that is the way it goes

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

My HT results are outstanding, and I do not regret it.

However, sometimes I wish I would have waited a few more years. I'm 34 now. I see some problem areas starting to rise and I may not have any real problems for quite sometime, but the bottom could fall out tomorrow. The future bothers me more than I like to admit but it is the price you pay when you delve into the HT world.

I have a lumpy freakish head, if it were normal, I like the shaved look, and would have just kept a short trim and saved my money.

I look as good now as 10 years ago. The biggest problem with HT's is that hair loss is progressive.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm such a hypocrite, I bash and bitch on about strip and the crimes against humanity...and then i take Propecia. Propecia was offered to me in the mid-90s. I refused. No way am i gonna mess with my hormones...damn f')&')n hair transplant industry..what next? Them slimey ba(')('stds.

THen I tried Dust in 2003. Side effects. Stopped. Then I tried Propecia in 2006/7. By this time my native hairline was NW5.5ish. And suddenly, bamn!!..hair loss halted!! No side effects...what the...? Do I regret it? I was average in every way, except hair. Lovely pretty locks made girls pay attention. Yeah. Then 18! Hair loss..yeah! 19..Ht surgeon, 'Go away and come back one day'. i did at 24. But I was almost over it by then..almost ready, but I was weak. I regretted it immediately. Sure, I loved the mirror, from month 3.5, when suddenly, I had the most beautiful locks again, even better than before! At 26, I could do a good Johnny Depp impersonation. Alas..further loss. 28? Chasing, chasing...30, 32..OK< gotta go short...woah,,,,no idea that HT was ALL ILLUSION! I regret not knowing it was illusion-based. Can't buzz...massive strip scars...ouch...ouch...

Now it is too late to even ask the question. It does not define me. I gotta other stuff to me...but boy-o-boy, what a mother Fyiuyiun complication to add to life..]I honestly don't know what is worse. A DNA balding death sentence or the HT chain gang. Anyway, in hindsight, if I hadda started with the fin, back in 95, who knows, but still, knowing what I knew...I didn't wanna mess with the hormones.

To respond to both you and to Spanker's note that hair loss is progressive, this is true; a couple major HT's in and you might start to bald again slowly, but not have much more donor area to use, leaving you in a bit of a pickle.

However, we creep closer every day to stem cell hair. Not this year and not next year, but they've already somewhat successfully done some prototype experiments from what I've heard, so in 5 or 7 years? 10 years? Probably. Once the true artisans of the HT world and the established clinics get their hands on this technology, there will really be no limit.

I know this might be of little consolation to some of you who are already in your 40's and 50's and won't care by then, although at the very least you could just get a touch-up job so your hair pattern looks normal/natural if you wanted to; no more anxiety about weird appearances.

For the next generation (the upcoming one after me; at 29, I'm still part of the "lower-yield FUE vs. strip scar FUT" generation), they won't even have to have the uncertainty and reservations that we did. 19-25 year olds will just go to the hair shop and buy some new cloned hair.

You guys think that the first years of stem cell hrs will be as bad as the first years of regular hts

Haha good point. They'll probably be a little rocky, with lower yield at first. Then dedicated surgeons will perfect it, much like current technology. I'll stick with FUE until stem-cell tech is reliable and stable, personally.

To respond to both you and to Spanker's note that hair loss is progressive, this is true; a couple major HT's in and you might start to bald again slowly, but not have much more donor area to use, leaving you in a bit of a pickle.

However, we creep closer every day to stem cell hair. Not this year and not next year, but they've already somewhat successfully done some prototype experiments from what I've heard, so in 5 or 7 years? 10 years? Probably. Once the true artisans of the HT world and the established clinics get their hands on this technology, there will really be no limit.

I know this might be of little consolation to some of you who are already in your 40's and 50's and won't care by then, although at the very least you could just get a touch-up job so your hair pattern looks normal/natural if you wanted to; no more anxiety about weird appearances.

For the next generation (the upcoming one after me; at 29, I'm still part of the "lower-yield FUE vs. strip scar FUT" generation), they won't even have to have the uncertainty and reservations that we did. 19-25 year olds will just go to the hair shop and buy some new cloned hair.

I hope you are right. I still have about 10 years I am guessing before I am in a "pickle."

My kids might just have to pay for their own college. :D

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hahaha "Sorry kids, daddy needs hair... Get a scholarship"

Eh, it builds character. And a credit score.:D

I have been grooming my daughter early for a scholarship. She plays the french horn ($3,200 instrument) and is in the Beta club.

My son won't get off his Xbox so it looks like he is joining the service like I did and getting Uncle Sam to foot the bill.:P I am currently paying for my MBA and I miss the GI Bill.

Seriously tho, it is unfortunate, but with my head situation that you already know about, I could not make in the white collar world looking like a freak. Not only is it important to me emotionally, but financially as well. I am currently able to have a very professional look and hope I can hold on to it. I have been on fin for 2.5 years. My crown is holding, but looks like there may be signs of it giving way. It is hard to tell as lighting and angles can be so deceptive for the good and bad as you probably know. Hopefully that cure they have been talking about for 30 years is just around the corner before my bottom drops out.

View Spanker's Website

Eh, it builds character. And a credit score.:D

I have been grooming my daughter early for a scholarship. She plays the french horn ($3,200 instrument) and is in the Beta club.

My son won't get off his Xbox so it looks like he is joining the service like I did and getting Uncle Sam to foot the bill.:P I am currently paying for my MBA and I miss the GI Bill.

Seriously tho, it is unfortunate, but with my head situation that you already know about, I could not make in the white collar world looking like a freak. Not only is it important to me emotionally, but financially as well. I am currently able to have a very professional look and hope I can hold on to it. I have been on fin for 2.5 years. My crown is holding, but looks like there may be signs of it giving way. It is hard to tell as lighting and angles can be so deceptive for the good and bad as you probably know. Hopefully that cure they have been talking about for 30 years is just around the corner before my bottom drops out.

I'm about to finish my BA using Active Duty Tuition Assistance, then switch to my GI Bill and head for my Masters as well. And yeah I'm in the same boat with the hair thing.

I think u guys have a great attitude, even though I hate that you r both pumping up the tires of the strip industry with your HT choices. Two things u got I didn't. Propecia <assume u both r in the dark side in that one) and the fact that ur strip scar will always be one and not three, like me. But I like your realistic attitude, well almost....because relying on stem cell research??

It was suggested to me, as my anxiety gave way to bliss (my first shot of valium) and the first disclaimer I had just signed faded from my mind, at my first HT, way back in the late 80s, by the then president of the ISHRS, that "big things could be around the corner"- Perhaps he was talking about fin, and to give him his due, he did try to get me on fin a few years later, but even so, I get some kind of feeling, some kind of opiate effect that this promise of stem cell will take care of it all, that I imagine many young people have now about stem cell hopes and dreams.. but saying that, who knows. maybe by the time u read this it will be all over the news! 'Hair saved by stem cell research'.. We know of course that fin did became a reality and it has helped millions. It has failed many too and even worse. But still, if stem cell came along...and it is a big if, we better not count on it as a panacea, going by history.

Edited by scar5

Totally regret my first HT with a $hitty surgeon. Don't regret my two surgeries with SMG one bit. Just find a good, trustworthy clinic and chances are you'll be happy you went through with it.

scar5, you have three strip scars? You and me both pal. My first one by Dr. G was taken too high - outside of the "safe zone" which may have negatively effected my yield. Dr. Paul took a lower strip for my second procedure. Before my third procedure, Dr. Paul gave me the option of excising the same strip he previously took for fewer grafts - or stacking the two scars for more grafts. I choose the latter. So yeah, I have three scars (and they've stretched) and they don't bug me a bit. The only reason I'm getting a revision in two months is to prepare me for more strips down the road.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Oh I'm definitely not counting on stem cell research; mostly on Finasteride (which seems to be quite effective on me), combined with a moderately sized HT every few years.

We've all seen guys, like Bill (Managing Publisher), who, according to his blog, has had no less than 9,618 grafts over four HT sessions; I only plan on doing about 1,500 to 2,200 grafts per session, once every 5 or 6 years, as needed. This gives me up to what, around fifteen or twenty years? If there isn't some kind of new and awesome hair restoration procedure developed sometime in the next twenty years, I will eat my words and shave my head.

But look at the sheer leap in technology and availability within the 20-year span of 1983 to 2003. And then refinement in the decade until 2013. Another 20 years? I will bet my hairline that there will be something new available, or at least much better methods and micro-technology developed, as well as it all probably being much more widespread, commonplace, and cheaper, like most cosmetic surgeries are becoming.

Here's what you gotta do, brah: shave your head. Don't be a pussy. Shave that dome bald. Do you like it? Does it look OK? Would it look OK if you hit the gym and got some muscle definition? (but don't overestimate the effects of this. i sometimes see ripped as hell, but skinny bald dudes who I just think look weird)

If this look doesn't work for you, you GET AN HT. I'm sorry for the caps. I'll just describe myself now. I cut it, forgot about it, then saw an old pic years later when I was thinking about cutting it again. Not an option. Looked absolutely terrible.

6 month post op. Am I glad I did it?? Yes I am. Do I now have great hair? Nope (well, in poor lighting it can look kind of baller), just looks somewhat OK. Does it look better than before? HELL YEAH. I got to the point I was depressed to even look at myself in the mirror, so I just stopped. Now here's the kicker: am I still losing hair? Unfortunately, yup. I tried going back on Finasteride 1/4ths, but it turned me into a little bitch, so I couldn't stick with.

Do I regret it? No. I had implants on the sides to deal with the recession there in addition to my hairline. This is important because hairpieces can be convincingly placed further forward the more hair you have on your sides. In other words, as your side hairline recedes, any hairpiece you wear will have to be worn higher and higher.

Jack I hear you on the not-looking-good-shaved thing. I'm 5'7" and naturally ultra-skinny (even though I work out three times a week), plus I'm part German and part French-Canadian, two of the palest races on the planet.

So basically, when I shave my head, I look like Mister Creepy McSerialKiller, and not the handsome Dexter type of serial killer... More like this shot, taken shortly before my first HT:

ID-JAN2011.jpg

Endearing, huh? Here's one after my first HT...

10Months-Oct2011-1.jpg

So this is why I need hair... So I can tell a dirty joke and people will laugh with me, instead of staring at me with revulsion like they actually think I want to rape their cat or something. The difference is night and day. I can say this from experience. The society we live in is so hateful and automatically judgmental it's ridiculous.