Will the scarring gets wider ?

Cart,

In my opinion, it really depends.

From a physiological standpoint, scar tissue only regenerates around 80% of its original tensile strength. Because of this, if any of the affected tissue surrounding the original donor scar is used to close the new strip, it could technically stretch more significantly than the original closure.

However, it's also likely that the new strip closure won't involve any skin that was previously affected by the previous scarring, so the new strip could close the same or better than the original wound as well. To add more weight to this theory, keep in mind that individuals often undergo scar revision by having the old scar excised via FUT and re-closed with a double layered, trichophytic closure.

Altogether, if the surgeon performs an efficient closure and your physiology isn't extremely prone to stretching/scarring, I don't see any reason to automatically believe the second scar will stretch wider than the original.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I think it is reasonable to believe, that all things being equal, (including the surgeon), you should expect the second scar to be wider. Doctors frequently cite that unhappy customers have failed to consider that they are complaining about a scar that has been re-opened for a second and third procedure. It always makes you wonder, when people, (Bless 'em an all) are chuffed at the first scar and don't even seem to wonder how they will have to go back for seconds and thirds.

That said, there are stories of the reverse happening. The second scar being the same or evn better than the first.

• 4 weeks later...

Scalp elasticity plays a huge role whether it's the first or subsequent procedures. If the patient does not possess the necessary elasticity to accomodate the dimensions of the strip being excised, then the potential of a widened scar goes way up.

This is why many HT doctors want their patients doing scalp strectching exercises prior to surgery, and especially on repeat patients. I had 4 seperate strip procedures so far and always did the stretching well in advance. My strip scar is still very thin and barely noticable. I never buzz my hair and never intend to do so. My scalp is definitely on the tighter side now.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's a risk you take. Scarring can be pencil thin or be super thick. No one can really tell. Not even some top docs can't tell because ultimately it is judged on "a patient's physiology". No one can gaurantee a pencil thin scar. No one can gaurantee anything in this industry. It can go any way. You just have to make a smart decision and filter out anything you think maybe a risk to you.

There are guys who have had scar issues with top docs, yield issues, design issues, placement issues, and vice versa. Same goes for docs who are not recommended. You just have to research and analyze the situation and pick your own doctor and procedure style. BUT Laxity does decrease after multiple procedures and can result in a more stretched scar or tighter scalp, esp if it is a large large megasession.

Tread carefully, and if your current scar is is great and if you need minimal grafts, then consider FUE method for filling especially if you have no further hairloss progression risks.

Best wishes Cartesian and I hope you have a great outcome. :)

I decided to go with FUE in my second surgery for a couple of reasons, but this was one of the main ones. I had a great scar result from my FUT and did not want to risk it (even though I probably would have had another solid result given my surgeon and physiology, but it is never a sure thing)

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1