Time off work

Hi guys,

What's your opinion on the optimum time needed to take off work after strip surgery?

Where I work I could probably get 4/5 consecutive weeks off, or up to 6 months unpaid leave (I'd need to cook up a story to get this approved though).

If I grew my native hair out I think I could do a reasonable job in concealing a HT from co-workers. It all depends on when the hairs fall out, post-HT, redness...

Thanks in advance.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hey Matt,

For me to do this i a taking VS and a year off before i go back into the workforce, i want to give the HT the best chance to succeed, it may sound mad to people that i am leaving my job for this but it is the only way i can afford it. I would think a month would suffice mate. I

Hi guys,

What's your opinion on the optimum time needed to take off work after strip surgery?

Where I work I could probably get 4/5 consecutive weeks off, or up to 6 months unpaid leave (I'd need to cook up a story to get this approved though).

If I grew my native hair out I think I could do a reasonable job in concealing a HT from co-workers. It all depends on when the hairs fall out, post-HT, redness...

Thanks in advance.

I guess you are gonna find a surgeon to leave your native hair??? If thats the case, and you have enough native hair, ONE month should be fine...

For me personally, at one month, I looked like complete and total dog crap!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Total of two weeks off from work for me including travel, 4352 graft surgery, and post-op recovery.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Totally depending on your pre HT state. I completely shaved down, and would not have been able to conceal very persuasively with my native hair. I am almost 10 weeks out and still don't leave the house without a cap, its not pretty. But, undoubtedly everybody is different, for me it is VERY important to be realistic about your imm post HT "look", and you personal working/personal commitments. You definitely do not need the added stress of being in the doldrum stage, if you cannot conceal somehow.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

1978matt,

You've already received some excellent advice from several veteran members.

Personally, I've only ever taken off one week for recovery purposes before returning back to work. That said, at what point you'll look "normal" will depend on the amount of existing natural hair you have left, whether or not shaving is required, the area being worked on, the type of procedure, whether or not you're allowed to wear a hat at work, etc.

Unfortunately, it's not realistic for many to take several months off from work. And many patients can't wear a hat at work. Thus, many patients ultimately choose a surgeon that doesn't require shaving.

Thus, my suggestion would be to take off as much time as you can while getting paid and without jeopardizing your job.

While there is no right answer, I hope the above considerations help you when making a decision on how much time you can take off from work.

Best wishes,

Bill

I did not need my donor area shaved. I let my hair get a bit long prior to my procedure and was back to work five days after my procedure. I was able to wear a hat for a bit so it was fairly easy to conceal. Even without the hat the longer hair was able to conceal my procedure. Again, it depends on several factors, but in general you should take into account that you could look less than "normal" for some time.

Thanks for the replies.

Most of the work would be in the hairline so it would be challenging to hide. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic.

Fortunately I can put in a request for 6 months off but they say you are not allowed to work elsewhere (unsurprising). However, I could try to find something abroad.

Failing that I may have to finance the time off myself.

The office I work in is open plan with 200 people on one floor!

I'm presently sweating over this myself. I've just booked my sabbatical, 8 weeks off work and planning on flying out to Ottawa in May.

Since it's Rahal I'm having to shave down. Which, I'm happy to do as likewise I want to give myself every chance of getting the best result when I have an opportunity to take this much time off. Massively concerned though about how I'm gonna look even at 2 months going back to a busy office.

Fortunately I can put in a request for 6 months off but they say you are not allowed to work elsewhere (unsurprising). However, I could try to find something abroad. Failing that I may have to finance the time off myself.

I know every situation is different, but why would it be so much better working someplace else? I greatly overestimated the post-op concerns. I was very worried about post-op reaction from co-workers and friends, but it ended up being almost nothing. I work with 75-100 people. I did tell a lot of people before...laying the groundwork, almost all were supportive...with a few saying "I dont think you need it". Then when I returned it was like they all knew what happened...shock factor was nil.....people were more interested in "when will it all grow in?"...."was that expensive?"....."did it hurt much?"......ect... It was almost like they were "in on the secret" so they went easy on me. I think trying to hide it could make matters worse....people are naturally curious....they have radar when someone is trying to hide something....so that's why I decided to just be open and honest.....heck almost everyone has something they would like to change..so they can relate, you'll be surprised how most people are supportive once they know and also how they don't really care and move on because they have their own drama, their own busy lives.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I know every situation is different, but why would it be so much better working someplace else? .

A fair point, but at least i could get the op done and then start in a new place where no one knew what I used to look like. I could also try to find somewhere with a minimal number of staff or do some kind of outdoor work where I could wear a hat.

It wouldnt have to be the best paid. Just something to tide me over for 6 months!

I'm presently sweating over this myself. I've just booked my sabbatical, 8 weeks off work and planning on flying out to Ottawa in May.

Since it's Rahal I'm having to shave down. Which, I'm happy to do as likewise I want to give myself every chance of getting the best result when I have an opportunity to take this much time off. Massively concerned though about how I'm gonna look even at 2 months going back to a busy office.

Hats off to you (no pun intended!) that's ballsey. Hope it goes well for you.

If you're going from long to very short maybe you can say you were experimenting with the buzz cut while you were off. Or it was a mates stag do and someone shaved it for a prank..

I was forced to temporarily get back to the real world after 9 weeks. It wasn't ideal but the worst was definitely over. By then it was just faded redness and the weird part of a little bit of new growth and the native growing back.

Now almost 20 weeks post op, not much has changed......lots more new growth, redness faded more but it's still there. If I had to get back to work it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just rather not!

So really, it depends on you - how well you heal and how quickly you grow. Unless you're a lucky one, 5 months may not be enough. I don't look great right now, but ya just have to say f--k it and get on with life. Though I am cursed with light skin so I'm probably redder than most by this point.

Ideally, we could just go to sleep and wake up in a year. I don't like this transitional phase, but you just have to stick it out...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon