My first day on this site. Have questions about my hair.

Hi guys I have a few questions and hopefully i came to the right place. I am 26 years old and and my hair has been thinning little by little for some time. I want to know if I would benefit from FUE surgery. Ive done research and I think I am going to go with anyone really good at FUE. I would be able to do this surgery in 5 months when i have funds. In the mean time I dont want to keep thinning more. Should I use Rogaine 5% liquid. I already bought it but i have been hesitant to use it because i heard people shed. I dont want to shed. Thats another question if i do shed from rogaine will it be noticeable? I dont know about hair transplantation but I saw dr fellers website and I would want 3,000 to 4,000 FUE transplanted. By looking at my pictures do you guys think thats enough? or is 2000-3000 better? I just want opinions. What can I do to at least keep what I have? I cant use Propecia because almost every male in my family has heredity gynecomastia and thats not something that I want as a Side effect. Guys I want to keep my hair. What do I do? Sorry to ask all these questions at once lol just happy i found this website. I attached my pics at the bottom which I took with a real bright yellow light. I shave off my widows peek so thats why it looks like that right in the middle.

photo(1).JPG.a749f53ab691869fd959cb9770b56fdc.JPG

photo(2).JPG.3d96d641bf619d62667e420a911b98c5.JPG

photo(3).JPG.45657c6502260860229d447359fbd5a2.JPG

photo(4).JPG.8c90c5c267f1959f0669d8fb7014611a.JPG

photo(5).JPG.6b6506479661ac069b2e37c8f8be68ab.JPG

photo(6).JPG.8e59c47ca834d0a4b51a7687b1ab90d7.JPG

Edited by Jayson290

Well, I guess I'll give the bad news, which is only my opinion. You have quite a large pattern for 26 and will likely need extensive grafts in the future. I personally do not think you are a good FUE candidate because of this. IMO FUE really reduces the amount of total grafts you can get in a lifetime. FUE is not for everyone. IMO, its for men in their late 40's and older who will only ever need 2500 grafts or less. The best explanation I have heard is that it "rapes" you donor site. The yield in large sessions is rarely as good and you have thousands of tiny scars which may not be noticeable, but it still creates scar tissue everywhere subdermal that makes subsequent sessions harder. With the amount of work that you need you will you will be much better off going strip.

More bad news. You have enough loss that IMO propecia is almost a must. Any top doc with strongly encourage you to give it a try if you are going to have an HT.

On the bright side, you have excellent hair characteristics and that will improve your HT.

Take what I said for what its worth, and some may not agree, but if I were you and propecia was not an option to even try, I would try the shaved look and move on. If not, you will be chasing you fallen locks every couple years.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Consult around with reputable clinics. Dont blame you on the propecia point. I was on for it years and after seeing the difference of taking a year off it will never go back on it.

Get on minox. You could try Saw palmetto, a natural milder DHT blocker than propecia but im not sure if it works for everyone and it may also have sides. There is a lack of studies. Some people swear by it.

You could absoloutly be an FUE candidate. Cases around like Stephen from BHR clinic who has had 7000 from FUE and came back to a norwood 1 from nearly the highest end of the scale.

The way i look at it the HT landscape will be quite different in 10 years time with additional breakthroughs (cloning/ensyme science / stem cell / multiplication etc) and less invasive treatments available. Just like the last 10 years produced the FUE technique. So in my opinion its all about bridging and buying time till then and you should avoid a strip scar if you can.

Of course you are going to have people advise you on either side on this to validate the chosen procedure they have done themselves or to promote the predominate service they offer. Up to you to make your own decision best informed you can. Good luck .!

I should suggest starting the rogaine, and when you're done with it I'd say use rogaine foam as I've seen better results with it and it's also much easier to use. It doesn't leave a greasy residue like the liquid. Shedding is normal but temporary it will help keep what you have an possibly regrow miniaturizing hair. Right now I don't think you need nearly that many grafts, but without preventative medication I do see you going toward a 5A on the Norwood scale. So start the medication and use it for one year and reevaluate and at that point. Then if your doctor feels it's ok to proceed and in your best interest then go for it.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Bob,

My opinions are based on research and not the route I chose. I do not feel a need to validate my choice. I do have a scar but I never think about and it is very fine.

You have a point that maybe in 10 years there will be a better procedure. If it is much better it will likely not be affordable for most people for another five. For the last 20 years the next big break through has just been 5 years away, so I am not sure it is a good idea to plan for that break through and base you HT plan on it.

Do yes, a guy may have had a great experience for 7k grafts with FUE. I am not against FUE, I just think for someone in his situation it is the wrong route. I just had my procedure and if I thought it was the best way to go for my plan, I would have used it. I wish there was no need for linear scars.

I guess the best offer I can make is to show 5 or 10 really good FUT results for every really good FUE results on a NW5, which is where this gentleman is headed.

Consult around with reputable clinics. Dont blame you on the propecia point. I was on for it years and after seeing the difference of taking a year off it will never go back on it.

Get on minox. You could try Saw palmetto, a natural milder DHT blocker than propecia but im not sure if it works for everyone and it may also have sides. There is a lack of studies. Some people swear by it.

You could absoloutly be an FUE candidate. Cases around like Stephen from BHR clinic who has had 7000 from FUE and came back to a norwood 1 from nearly the highest end of the scale.

The way i look at it the HT landscape will be quite different in 10 years time with additional breakthroughs (cloning/ensyme science / stem cell / multiplication etc) and less invasive treatments available. Just like the last 10 years produced the FUE technique. So in my opinion its all about bridging and buying time till then and you should avoid a strip scar if you can.

Of course you are going to have people advise you on either side on this to validate the chosen procedure they have done themselves or to promote the predominate service they offer. Up to you to make your own decision best informed you can. Good luck .!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Ok ill start using rogaine right now. Do u guys think rogaine will maybe let me keep what I have? Ill also use palmetto saw too. Crap I should of started usin this years ago. By the way u can only see my scalp when you put a bright light over it. Hopefully I have time. Another thing, it's wierd because where my hair line is I have thick hair it's like only the top part.Is that normal. Do u guys think I I use rogain and palmetto saw i can at least avoid thinning more or at least avoid thinning for 6 months

You may have some shed from your initial use of rogaine. The shed, if any, will likely be only your weaker hairs. The fall out because the thicker hair is making its way though.

You never know how your hair will react. You may now get worse for 5 years or you could be a baldy in 3. I am not sure Saw Palmetto does much, but if it does reduce your DHT, and it must to work, would you not get sides too?

View Spanker's Website

I've been on minoxidil for about 4 months now. There was a little shedding but it wasn't noticeable in my appearance. Everyone reacts to it differently though. And it's a bit like the same scenario of a HT: you're going to look a little worse for awhile, but you have to suffer through that stretch to look better in the future.

Just my opinion, but I don't think you need any surgery yet.

You need to wait & save your donor hairs for when you really need it.

Stick with any of the meds you can tolerate.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

guys thanks you guys are amazing. i took a pic with my hair in my car without a bright light pointing towards my scalp. as you can see it doesnt look that drastic. with rogaine and maybe propecia do u think its possible to save what i have .

photo(1).JPG.407f5fe21734649a7106f8054851307b.JPG

photo(2).JPG.67708d2e57c87a9fd45401c777f7e296.JPG

Edited by Jayson290

Bro I'd be happy with a head of hair like that right now. Like others are saying, get on finasteride (active ingredient in propecia), and use minoxidil (active ingredient in rogaine). I saw my hairless stablize very well from these drugs over they years so there is a good chance you can save what you got. Still got a good head of hair, do your best to save it. GL!

Jayson,

Welcome to the forums! Starting the meds is definitely a great decision, and if used consistently should really minimize further loss! When it does come time to needing a restoration later on down the road, you will be in much better shape!! The two most recent photos you posted look really good....and your loss isn't super obvious! As Spanker mentioned, you do have very favorable hair characteristics to work favorably for you when it does come time for you needing a transplant! Keep us posted buddy, you have come to the right place!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

It really depends on your body.

I cant remember the stats but I think that over 90 percent of men have at least the same amount of hair in the crown 5 years after starting propecia. The there is some of a drop off. But I think you will always be about 5 years ahead of where you would be without it. Some are even 10 years ahead, or better off.

I know that propecia is usually much more effective than rogaine. However I have seen them individually do a lot in individual patients. They work best together. You may be the lucky gut that rogaine does miracles on.

View Spanker's Website

Hello Jayson, Welcome to HTN the best consumer forum I have come across to keep you informed. This site is great for you to inform and educate yourself on hair restoration the types of surgeries. All the posts given have salient points. You along with your chosen doctor will have to make the best choice. I just responded to another post on HTN regarding FUE today. Perhaps you will find it of value in your process. You can read it HERE on HTN.

There are great clinics and centers like the one I work for. Really take advantage of this forum and learn as much a you can. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of minoxidil at all. My results were horrid when I used it.

Based on the area that you're thinning, I think propecia would be a far better option for you.

Hi Steve;

What % solution of Minoxidil did you use? Recent studies show that 5% solution had signicant advantages over 2% Solution.

See: A randomized clinical trial of 5% topical minoxidil versus 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men.

Olsen EA, Dunlap FE, Funicella T, Koperski JA, Swinehart JM, Tschen EH, Trancik RJ.

Source

Duke Dermatopharmacology Study Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 8 months later...

Looks like a big difference to me. Keep it up.

View Spanker's Website

Your hair looks fine man, do not get a hair transplant just yet. Actually, your hair is very thick and curly and anybody under bright lights with short hair will show scalp.

Keep that hair you have, it is a killer head of hair.

I do not see any thinning or recession of hairline...AT ALL.