Should i go for it?

I was born with a high hairline, lived with it my whole life yet don't want to anymore, this website has shown it can be fixed and i there are many supportive and helpful people here so i would like to introduce myself and join the discussion.

Presently im considering going to Thailand for a holiday AND having FUT surgery from Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich. I want to lower my hairline, thats all, how many implants do you think i would need or how low should i go? What should I watch out for, my hair is thick, would implanted hair be thinner and look silly?

Thanks for reading

5b32d57091839_Photoon26-11-12at8_30PM.jpg.286464282264db2a93992a264d27e8f3.jpg

5b32d570aadf6_Photoon26-11-12at8.30PM2.jpg.65d8cbfdc56ecaea81d69caaa8a8a8cd.jpg

5b32d570bb80d_Photoon26-11-12at8_31PM.jpg.966f4dd9a3d105d1c2b5562076d7877f.jpg

Edited by zenigomu

Have you spoken to Dr Path, Im sure he will give you his advice on how low you should go, according to your age.

BUT looking at your pic's, I wouldnt do it, you look fine. Save your grafts for when you start having hair loss.

I have emailed Dr Path. He said lowering a hairline for a high forehead is possible but i have concerns about density as my real hair is thick . He said the density they transplant in the front is between 40-50% or about 40-50 hair grafts per square cm however, you are still unsatisfied with the initial density, you may do another session 1 year later after all the transplanted hairs have grown.

I would be dissapointed if i had to go back for more surgery!

I appreciate the perspective that it looks fine as is and i should save for when i start having hair loss, but i dont know if i ever will. Im 32 and think improving my hairline would be great for my confidence as having a high forehead as a child and teen resulted in bullying and insecurity which has stuck with me to this day. I spend way too much time worrying about how my head looks and the throught that it can be fixed excites me :)

"when i start having hair loss, but i dont know if i ever will"....your very lucky if your not losing any hair.

I understand where your coming from and I wish you all the best and your in good hands with Dr Path.

I was born with a high hairline, lived with it my whole life yet don't want to anymore, this website has shown it can be fixed and i there are many supportive and helpful people here so i would like to introduce myself and join the discussion.

Presently im considering going to Thailand for a holiday AND having FUT surgery from Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich. I want to lower my hairline, thats all, how many implants do you think i would need or how low should i go? What should I watch out for, my hair is thick, would implanted hair be thinner and look silly?

Thanks for reading

You look fine, believe me. It is not worth to have that huge scar on the back of your head for what you are trying to achieve. What if you start to lose your hair behind the transplant that you plan to have and you find yourself not having enough donor hair? It can happen. I have friends who had not lost any hair until their mid 40s, and then, they went Norwood 6 in a couple of years.

Your hairline is not very high at all. If it bothers you so much, just get a good cut with cool bangs. A good stylist will know what to do. Believe me, at 18 your hairline might be considered high ( you said you have had it all your life) but at 30 and 40, it is not high at all and your 32 so I would find it hard to believe that anyone comments on it now.

I would not do it if I were you. You will not be happy with density at 40-50 up front because it will not blend well with the thick hair behind it. You would need at least 60 per sq cm to achieve what you are looking to do. Some docs will do this density in one procedure but I still think given the scar, cost, recovery, risk of future loss, its not worth it.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get your hairline lowered in the sort of U / band type shape, when grown out it should look great. It's also conservative with grafts, so even if you do lose more....you've got a nice hairline that hasn't taken up too much donor.

Look up the "Dr Feller love letter" thread for an example of the hairline I mean

Your best bet is sending photos to doctors and getting a valuation. My comments here are just speculation...but personally I can see why you'd want it done. I'd love to have your hair, but everyone wants improvement and I think a procedure would help you a lot.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I can releate to your situation haviing a natural hair line actually higher than yours complete with acouple of fine cowhorns. It upset me from as far back as i can remember so about 4 months ago at 40yrs old i got hair job and also lowered the hair line where there has never been any hair. So far im feeling good but time will be be the test. Im no expert but you may need 2 procedures 2 match you existing density. Goodlck with what ever you decide!

Hair Restoration Site for Cowhorns

I appreciate all your replies.

I am in two minds about it, the density issue concerns me but I just know that a "normal" hairline would do a lot for my confidence. I'd be using the hairline to disguise a high forehead (long face) which puts my face proportions out of wack.

I totally understand the view that I shouldn't be complaining considering the level balding that others have , i know im lucky to have what i have but this is something that has bugged me my whole life , and the thought of doing something about it really excites me.

I've tried all kinds of haircuts and bangs and short etc but I've never been happy and find worrying about how my hair is sitting (especially when its longer) just takes too much energy and worry.

I am put of by the thought of having to go back if its not thick enough, just seems like a scam to get more money out of me :(

Edited by zenigomu

Check this out, I used a program like photoshop and drew myself a lowered hairline

Just mucking around to see how it may look, im no photoshop expert though lol

Am i being realistic wanting to lower my hairline in this way?

8231477519_eeef7ddac9_m.jpg

Edited by zenigomu

• 2 weeks later...

Hey -- Have you thought of having a hairline lowering surgery performed? If you're not actively losing your hair and since your hair density is thick, it might be the perfect answer for you. Check out Dr. Aharonov's website (he's in LA)(he has a unique technique, which doesn't require the use of an expender). I just had the procedure done a week ago!

Hi 007

Thanks for your reply. Yes i had looked into the hairline surgery option but some posts about bad experiences and scaring scared me off. The promise of instant results is tempting and no worry about density, plus I would still have the FUT option after should I need to. I'll give it some more thought. Can you tell me what the ballpark cost would be?. You happy with your procedure ? Thanks again :)

Be careful. That post looks like someone representing the surgeon who has signed up JUST to reply in this thread.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I paid about 8,500 for the surgery and I think I'll be very happy in a few weeks. I'm still bruised and swollen so can't really see the final result yet. I had two transplant surgeries 10 years ago (with Dr. Rassman) for temple areas and sides of hairline (both original surgery and FUE) and the only thing I would tell you to take into consideration is that you'll need more than one HT surgery to achieve the right density (a good Dr. will tell you the same thing) AND the transplanted hair can be coarser and kinkier when it grows back.

Since you sound like you wanna lower your hairline quite a bit, the hairline lowering surgery would probably be cheaper and quicker in the long run.

HairTransplant007,

Welcome to our community. You are certainly welcome and encouraged to share your own personal experience and photos. To do so, I recommend that you create your own topic. You can do this by going to the "Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews" forum and clicking "New Thread".

We look forward to reading about your experience and following your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Check this out, I used a program like photoshop and drew myself a lowered hairline

Just mucking around to see how it may look, im no photoshop expert though lol

Am i being realistic wanting to lower my hairline in this way?

8231477519_eeef7ddac9_m.jpg

I really dont think so. That seems very aggressive for someone that might have MPB in the future, It would look funny to be 60 and still have a hairling that low and straight.

Anyway. You are looking at about 1k grafts per cm that you drop your hairline if you want it to be dense.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I definitely agree with Spanker in thinking that the hairline you photoshopped would waste a lot of grafts and would look unnatural as you age later on down the line. Factor in the potential to have significant hair loss in the future, and then you are caught between a rock and a hard place!! But with that said, the photoshopped hairline looks good on you! =)

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

I've given it some more thought and just feel too uneasy about forehead reduction surgery, i watched a youtube of the procedure and was freaked out by seeing the patients bare skull and a hunk of flesh cut out. I don't want a scar on my hairline either, just seems too risky. Its also a more expensive procedure than the quotes i have for a 2500 - 2800 FUT procedure.

The photoshop was just me mucking about, it is too low and straight and unrealistic.

Bringing my hairline down just one inch or maybe a little more via fut is my plan.

Scalp reduction? Isn't that what they did in the 80s that turned out to be horrible?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey zenigomu, I am a member of the High Forehead Club too! See my recent thread here.

I know exactly how you feel and I've been researching surgery options for a few months. I'll finally be getting a HT in 3 weeks. Let me share what I've learned so far..

Surgical hairline advancement (SHA) is a bad option for a few reasons: You're already aware of the scar at the hairline. Second, the surgeon must sever two nerves in your forehead which will render your scalp numb, at least temporarily. Third, a surgically advanced hairline is still subject to recession, so your investment could disappear. Fourth, surgically advanced hairlines often require a small amount of grafts to round them out or to hide a bad scar which negates the instant results.

You will have a hard time finding a surgeon willing to lower your hairline more than 1cm. See my thread for more on this.

Be careful when soliciting advice from strangers (this Web site included). They'll often tell you to be grateful for what you have, save your grafts, you're being unrealistic, etc. While they are genuinely trying to be helpful and supportive, they are unknowingly imposing their limitations on you. A Norwood VI is going to have a very different perception of what's realistic than a guy like you who is not experiencing loss. The irony is, once you've had the job done they'll all tell you how great you look. Compare my thread to unclejesse777's thread for an illustration.

Now, before I catch flames for my comments, I am not saying that you should ignore the experiences of those on this forum. That's what the site is for and I am very grateful for it. It is important, however, to decipher what is fact and what is opinion. After all, you're the one who has to live with the results.