Does smoking effect HT

Yes.

According to many hair restoration experts, smoking both decreases scalp blood flow (which is necessary to nourish the new follicles) and allegedly irritates the new follicular unit grafts.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Not all coalition surgeons believe that smoking will have a negative impact on the graft yield. It's not unanimous.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes - This was the number 1 'no-no' instructed by the surgeons who did my HT as it restricts blood flow to the scalp and increases healing time.

1 week before and 1 week after minimum.

Use it as an opportunity to stop smoking. New hair, new start :-)

2800 FUE, Istanbul

I stopped smoking before the HT, used it as a motivator to quit. Once the transplant is done, it's worth doing everything you can to preserve your precious cargo! so stopping smoking is an easy one to do.

Saves a fortune in cash too and improves your skin and hair health massively.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Many doctors I have talked to, including mine, say it does not effect yield. I am smoking and two months and one week out.

The scalp is extremely vascular for smokers and non. It's a good idea to quit anyway, I was just not at a point in my life that I was personally strong enough to stop. I wish I would have stopped, but I didn't. We will see what happens when all is said and done.

I have actually seen very few top docs say it affects yield but have seen some say that it affect healing time.

I expressed it as a big concern, but as far as yield, my doc did not have any concerns. That said, no doctor, no matter the field they are in, is going to say it is a good idea to smoke.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.