1-Year result, 1400 grafts with Shapiro Medical

multiplier

I realize the lighting and proximity are pretty different in these 2 photos, but regardless -

1yearo.jpg

At this time last year, I was really looking forward to seeing a year's results, feeling more confident, and using a lot less Toppik daily. Unfortunately right now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some things to know.

• In both surgeries I've received, I've had moderate shockloss. In both cases, I got a lot of reassurance that shockloss would be temporary, but both times it's seemed permanent.

• Also, since last year's surgery I've abstained from Propecia because I thought it was causing side-effects but have recently determined they were psychological and have started up again. It's not unreasonable that this accelerated the loss.

• The procedure itself was smooth and very professional.

I did speak to the rep from SMG who said things looked right on track according to my blog. The photo above is a bit more revealing.

Regardless - I'm not sure how to look on the bright side here. My hair is thin as ever and I will need another surgery, if not 2 more. I can't really brush or style my hair, as is, and the Toppik I need to look halfway decent is significant and looks very suspect.

Moving forward, I've been told my donor is average. At SMG last year, we hoped to get 2500 grafts, but only 1400 were harvested. If I get another surgery of 2000 but it continues to knock out all my native hair, I've essentially broken even, hair-wise, and will still have thin & unmanageable hair. Obviously I am pretty nervous about that scenario.

I trust that SMG would not work on me if they didn't think I was a candidate for the surgery or if they weren't optimistic about my game plan. At the same time, I could appreciate some encouraging words here. I have cc'd the folks at SMG so they can give additional feedback.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Hi M,

Your monthly progress pictures up to 11 months post op showed more growth than the above pic.

Below is our immediate post op pic so we can see the graft placement.

Slide1-16.jpg

I was reading through Dr. Paul's notes in your chart today. He excised 2mm and 4mm width scars when he was harvesting donor a year ago, which accounts for the small session. Up to a month ago, we didn't have any reasons to predict less than optimal results. With 1400 graft session, none of us were expecting a big transformation but did expect some change. Your result now at 12 months look less than the hair you had a year ago - that is concerning. I know you are working with Matt and I'm sure Dr. Paul will contact you shortly. Keep your chin up, you have our support.

hello multiplier, hang in there ,and try to stay positive , SMG is a top outfit, and they will be there to help you, you had in total 2000 grafts done, im sure having the scars taken out from the first surgery has made your graft amount smaller. gets on meds and hopefully they will stop or slow down any more hairloss. and you have more grafts in reserve, im sure 2 to 3000 grafts in the front half will improve your situation greatly. one question for you , do you feel that you had good growth from your procedure at smg ?. i know its a long wait to see the results , but time will pass , as it always does. good luck

Janna's response shows what a top clinic SMG are, most clinics might say that there is lots of growth etc, but Janna has admitted that if anything it looks thinner than before the HT.

This is the kind of response that any clinic should give with circumstances like yours.

Like Janna says, keep your chin up.

Multipier, How much of your hair pre-SMG would you say is transplanted? Do you have pictures from before MHR? It does appear that you have taken a step back and the only explanation I can think of is that you lost more native hair (unless that hair was the MHR HT). As Janna noted, your 10 and 11 month pics show good growth and definite progress, so this is a bit odd....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Looks like you got a nice haircut since month 11.

I think that accounts for the difference.

Are you in fin?

Man, I hate to say it, but you look like you need 6k grafts or more. I wish you good luck. Your hair looks better even if it looks thinner in the 12 month IMO.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Multiplier,

I was just thinking that it was probably around 12 months for you.

A couple of things here:

1) I think the biggest problem is that the area behind the hairline (mid-scalp interior and crown) has undoubtedly thinned - maybe (or maybe not) as you experimented going off Propecia. That will affect the appearance of density in the frontal third has the backdrop of hair would have been depleted.

2) As Janna noted, your surgery was a partial scar repair. So hopefully now you are in a better position to harvest more hair from the donor (maybe 2K-3K?) with another session.

3) It looks like the hair in the area transplanted grew. 1400 grafts for the area covered is not much.

4) Your after picture was taken directly under an overhead light. I hate those lights with a passion. I'm tempted to knock them all out. Maybe when I'm president I will ban them all. If the angling is right it can wash out a good number of the hairs to give you a see-through head of hair. So bear in mind - the lighting condition in this pic is worst-case scenario. Maybe that's why the hair in your blog looks pretty good - angling, lighting, etc. Keep in mind that your whole life will not be lived under an overhead light - Thank God!

5) Don't worry so much about the fact you still use concealers. Jotronic posted awhile ago that celebrities with full heads of hair actually still use them. I still use dermmatch for my crown after about 5,500 grafts over 3 procedures.

6) You're working with a trustworthy clinic in SMG. They are open and honest. They won't sugarcoat things. Maybe an in-person post-op evaluation with them is in order.

All things considered I hope you are doing well. You probably still have plenty of donor available due to the small sessions you have had so far. Keep your head up buddy! Things can and will improve.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Indeed, I do have a new short haircut and the photo is zoomed in and in quite a bright light. Here is what it looks like in normal light with Toppik -

lightbt.jpg

Janna's response shows what a top clinic SMG are, most clinics might say that there is lots of growth etc, but Janna has admitted that if anything it looks thinner than before the HT.

Yeah, I am thankful to have a dialogue with them, even if the results aren't optimal. I spoke with Dr Paul yesterday and we agreed that going off Propecia surely had some effect. But I am also worried I more than predisposed to experiencing shock loss and that future surgeries won't accelerate that. Regardless, I am back on Propecia, and have always been on biotin, minox and niz anyway.

As Janna noted, your surgery was a partial scar repair. So hopefully now you are in a better position to harvest more hair from the donor (maybe 2K-3K?) with another session.

That is the idea. Will speak to SMG again this week to see what we decide.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Hi Multiplier,

The hairtransplant process is often very frustrating and time consuming...it takes time, especially when you have to do things with smaller sessions. It looks to me like you experienced some shockloss, plus going off the fin probably did not help.

On the positive side of things: Your in the best possible hands with SMG and you have only really targeted your hairline...which looks quite nice at this stage.

If I had to guess, my opinion on your future hair transplant work would be to do a couple of lower density transplants to minimize shockloss...if you were to do a 1500-1800 graft session and another 1500 graft session, it may help you retain your native hair for as long as possible. Certainly not the most gratifying process...but your looking for an end result...not necessarily the quickest result.

Keep the chin flying high and hopefully you can get back on fin/duta.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey, where did you come from....

Big Attorney Man!!!!!

Nice advice, I thought you may have lost it.....but, you address some strong points.

All the very best....Zup

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

A B-spot sighting! Don't blink gentlemen. ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The second photo looks much better. I agree with everyone's assessment. Probably have thinned more behind the hairline. I do think if you can get another 3K total, even if it takes two sessions, it would make an amazing difference from where you are now. Hang in there.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi, SMG are a top clinic. There are a few things that you need to bear in mind:

1. 1400 grafts is considered a fairly small session, so there will not be a dramatic transformation.

2. Going off Propecia is the reason why you lost so much native hair. This would have added body to your transplanted hair and therefore it appears that despite having a transplant, you have gone backwards.

I am glad you are back on Propecia. It is important to remember that erection problems whilst you are on Propecia can most definately be caused by your own anxiety about the fear of experiencing them.

Speak to SMG, stay on Propecia and take things from there.

All the best,

Hussein

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: