26 years old and contemplating a hair transplant

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post!

I'm 26 years old, and have been contemplating a hair transplant for some time. I started slowly losing my hair around 19/20yrs old. In the last 3 years I have irregularly used propecia and minoxidil. However, the longest I've ever used minoxidil is only about 3 months straight (obviously not enough time for any sort of results). I shave my head weekly and use dermmatch daily as a concealer on the temples and crown. However - I'm sick of this!

Over the next 12 months, I will be taking 1.25mg propecia and applying 5% Minoxidil daily. At the end of this period, I'd like to re-assess where my hair growth/loss is at and contemplate possibly going ahead with a FUT or FUE transplant. I'm willing to travel (US/Canada) and the cost is not a huge issue. I'm an aspiring fitness model and simply have no chance of going anywhere with my current crop of hair! It's not just that though - my hair loss has been affecting my confidence for a long time now.

I've attached various pictures that were taken today after a 1 clipper shave (my scalp may look oily as I applied Minoxidil before the photos were taken). I've clearly got a receeding hairline, some thinning in the mid-scalp and a nice bald patch on the crown. I'm hoping the propecia/minoxidil will at least stabilise hair loss and possibly (hopefully) thicken my hair a little in the vertex and crown.

Interested in people's thoughts! I'll add some more photos in a week when my hair grows out a little.

Cheers

24_aug_12_1.jpg.883985307b5c754ccce01ccdf46570ad.jpg

24_aug_12_2.jpg.77c8f9f66ec3db5af4b20934c9778504.jpg

24_aug_12_3.jpg.9eba3a24b34619be206cdb29f59b07ee.jpg

24_aug_12_4.jpg.6d4727760584d8b7cad544d78f601191.jpg

24_aug_12_5.jpg.b193fef582be6d808d59867257ef905e.jpg

24_aug_12_6.jpg.69aae3bdaec7ba777dfa73f8170edf2a.jpg

24_aug_12_7.jpg.ee1a77d8aa4205e0cd2c293513fd7b4e.jpg

Hi bud

You're young and have lost alot of hair , certainly from the crown , you seem to understand how this all works and have done some research .

I agree with you that for now 12 months on finasteride /propecia will definatly be the way to go , minoxadil didn't seem to help me much and irritated my scalp so I gave up on the topical cream .

I had a great result from just using finasteride to stablize and increase growth in the mid section and crown , I too started using 1.25mgs , now I cut 5mg finasteride into 6ths and only use 0.8mgs daily and have not seen any decrease in stablization of my hairloss .

Hts are a very long term fix and should not be rushed into without a long term plan , unfortinatly you do seem destined to be a nowood 4 vertex leading to a norwood 5 if the front temples reach the crown , I had a very similar loss pattern but it was more than ten years later than you .

I also feel results from fue are not as good as fut results , both have good points and both have limitations , you will need more that 4000 grafts even to help you now , thats a big ask from fue , i know it has been done but the results and yeald are not as good and consisitant as fut yet .

However fut leaves a smiley scar there is no way you'll conceal it shaving as low as you are now , it's gamble and its a big choice to make , and be under no illusion hts are no quick fix .

If I were you and this is my opinion formed from 8 years of research , having two HTs and taking finasteride daily , plus your age and level of loss , is to get on finasteride 1.25-0.8 daily , forget about the minoxidil , stay on fin religiously for at east 12 months . Then providing you have no side effects and are responding well , stay on it for the next 5-6 years , watch for advancements in HTs and the tecnology surrounding the HT and hair restoration world and see where you are at when you enter your 30s .

I know this is proberbly not what you want to hear but I think this is the best way of avoiding any life changing mistakes .

Good luck bud and I hope this helps .

Richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Photos with a shaved head are very difficult for doctors to accurately assess. It's hard to tell exactly how strong the hair is in areas such as your mid-scalp, where hair does remain but is beginning to thin.

It's clear that you've lost quite a lot of hair at the crown, along with the frontal recession. It's wise to give the treatments a chance. I would suggest that FUT is probably the best choice for providing enough grafts to cover both the front and the crown.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the reply gents. I will continue with both finastride and minoxidil for the 12 month period and hopefully take monthly progress photos, although this time I'll take them with a week or so growth, rather than freshly shaved.

And mattj, from my research, Dr Rahal is currently among the top of my pick of surgeons once it's deemed what is best for my case.

I will continue to update this thread in due course.

Cheers!

Well, for what it's worth, you look pretty good with the shaved head. It also doesn't hurt that you are ripped!

I think you're approaching this the right way. If you are interested in keeping your hair really short or shaved you could plan out some FUE sessions that will give you the outline of a hairline and fill in the crown so it would look like you had a full head of hair but just chose to keep really short. The density probably wouldn't be there to grow it out though. You could also supplement with SMP to make it appear even denser. I think it would be a good look to go along with your athletic build.

There are a few of those types of cases documented in this forum that you could search for. Good luck!

Well, for what it's worth, you look pretty good with the shaved head. It also doesn't hurt that you are ripped!

I think you're approaching this the right way. If you are interested in keeping your hair really short or shaved you could plan out some FUE sessions that will give you the outline of a hairline and fill in the crown so it would look like you had a full head of hair but just chose to keep really short. The density probably wouldn't be there to grow it out though. You could also supplement with SMP to make it appear even denser. I think it would be a good look to go along with your athletic build.

There are a few of those types of cases documented in this forum that you could search for. Good luck!

Hi BadBeat,

Thanks for the comment.

I have been thinking about taking the FUE route - to give me the sharper hairline and to fill in the crown. I understand this won't give me fantastic density, especially growing the hair out longer, but this the option you suggested could certainly be a possible solution and it's something I've been thinking about. I've gone through some 40+ pages and looked at hundreds of cases of FUT and FUE hair transplants and did come across a few FUE cases where guys have got the above scenario done. That is is certainly a possibility for me, but obviously keen to see how the medication goes over the next 12 months before a decision/consultations are made.

In regards to SMP, I have not yet looked into this. I use Dermmatch daily.. so in a way, I guess it's just more of a 'permanent' Dermmatch. I'll search for some cases of SMP to extend my research.

My hair is probably the only thing in my life that I stress/worry about. I am quite a confident dude... but I just want to be able to leave my house without wearing concealer and without worrying about my hair!

Cheers :)

I've attached some photos taken today as I haven't shaved in about 6 days.

My hair looks shocking. Any thoughts on the donor region, it appears I'm thinning out at the back below the crown... is this compromising my donor region and the number of potential grafts I may be able to get?

IMG_0113.JPG.57e201587f8d3dcb1d7fb3b0ae88518c.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG.8e2c4b68b958ef808361f10f1edab15c.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG.036751ba29dd33cb2f055a60037976c5.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG.73837578b22349659203c3045ed26198.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG.f8e5cda05750086e13a9280a9499a7a2.JPG

My hair looks shocking. Any thoughts on the donor region, it appears I'm thinning out at the back below the crown... is this compromising my donor region and the number of potential grafts I may be able to get?

Hi

There's a lot of loss there which is close to the donor area. I'm no expert but I don't think you should get strip surgery.

I'm not sure you will be able to get enough FUE either and there is always a bit of a risk with dot scars.

You might be better off sticking with the shaved look until a scientist comes up with a better option!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You would not be able to where your have as short as it is in the 1st pics with FUE done either, but you could get away (assuming everything went well) with this six day growth look.

I kind of feel like you are too you for anything considering your level of loss.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

4000 FUE and SMP and you will have great results.

You still have hair in the mid section on the top of your scalp, so it's just hairline definition, fill the crown and some dense packing to compensate for any future loss (which you should maintain if you are taking meds).

2800 FUE, Istanbul

You should definitely take minox esp if you shave your head. Another point is that since you've already shaved your head, you're really in no hurry, so just be patient for a year, see where you are and then you'll be able to draw conclusions.

You can even try getting on dut.

• 1 month later...

Hey Buddy,

I'm 23yo and I am in a similar if not worse situation to you at the moment. Hairloss has really had a negative effect on my social life. I have been on finasteride for almost 5 months now and minoxidil for 2 years on/off and I personally think my hair is getting worse! maybe its just my mind fooling me.

I am too looking at getting a hair transplant, the money is there and ready but I dont want to do something I will end up regretting. All I can say is ride it out until your 12months on the fin and within those 12months just research and research.

If you are considering FUE research about Dr lorenzo. He uses 0.75 mm punch which could possibly mean you can get a greater yield and possibly the dot scar appearance would be minimized. Search "Injerto Capilar" on youtube (subscribe to his channel) and watch some of his results. You might be amazed, because I am blown away!!!

fitnessjunkie,

My situation is the same like you. 26 years old and nw6 hairloss. My crown is slightly better than yours but the hairline is terrible, supporting the buzzed/shaved look like you. Here are my thoughts considering that you keep on going with a short cut;

buzzing/shaving is the best way to deal with the hairloss in the first place. And I think it is the best look for higher nw levels. Although there are some great examples of complete restoration such as bobman and jotronic, I personally think that if you are going for nw 6 , even in complete restorations crown will be thin. If you didn't have a crown loss and even if you don't have any hair on front, i'd definately say that go to rahal or h&w because you can (and most probably will) get your hair back. But with you i honestly think it is nearly impossible.

The idea of fue +smp has been in my head for 3 years. Believe me , 3 years ago no one was considering (or talking it on the forums) something like that. But with greater fue doctors coming around and especially after joe's and spex's introduction of Milena Lardi , this "idea" started to come up more and more. Also it started to make sense for some reasons ;

1- Many high norwood people are comfortable with the buzz cut and want to get a hairline that frames his face,

2- Even with high graft count strip cases, there are some "sweet spots" that buzz cutters don't like or prefer,

3- Achieving a "5 o'clock shadow" looks makes a huge difference than being completely bald

4- The support of 2 great ethical ,honest guys (Joe and Spex) to Milena's smp changed the perception to the consept of micro pigmentation on the forums.

So i think what you need to do is research. That is exactly what i am doing these days. There not many sources about this type of procedure (fue +smp combo) but check out the italian forum that has many pictures of milena's work. If you can , do a face to face consultation with FUE doctors , my recomandations would be Dr. Lorenzo like MoeyK said, Dr. Bisanga , Dr. Rahal , Dr. Feller, Dr. De Reys. Also nowadays I am trying to reach Dr. Koray from Turkey. In Milena's web site he has a link to his clinic, i really don't know if they are affiliated , i mailed to them but got no answer yet. If they are and he knows or performed a fue +smp combo , that would be a huge plus to consider him .

So , these are my thoughts. I am excited to see someone on the forums that searces for the same thing as I do , if there are more , unitee!!!:)

Edit: Also there is a guy named "feelzgood" on this forum who had a 4k procedure with Dr. Armani. I wouldn't recommend to doc but his result turned out great and there are pictures of him buzzed cut. He is on of my dream result.

I wouldnt even take the chance of getting a hair transplant. If u are 100% certain that u are mentally and physically prepared to perhaps have multiple surgeries than go for it. My advice is to think this over fully before jumping on boat....

My two cents.

I don't think your situation is as bad as you think, you can rock the shaved look and your hairline is good in relation to a lot of us, yes this will deteriorate but you are on meds so that should halt it. I think SMP would be an option if you decide to sort the crown as this will just give the illusion of using the shaved look, as i think your hairline is not bad at all.

An example of someone slick bald getting a good result

Check out Comb and Mitey Smitey who had procedure with V Hasson

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=7073&WebID=

You are at a better starting point for me.

Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post!

I'm 26 years old, and have been contemplating a hair transplant for some time. I started slowly losing my hair around 19/20yrs old. In the last 3 years I have irregularly used propecia and minoxidil. However, the longest I've ever used minoxidil is only about 3 months straight (obviously not enough time for any sort of results). I shave my head weekly and use dermmatch daily as a concealer on the temples and crown. However - I'm sick of this!

Over the next 12 months, I will be taking 1.25mg propecia and applying 5% Minoxidil daily. At the end of this period, I'd like to re-assess where my hair growth/loss is at and contemplate possibly going ahead with a FUT or FUE transplant. I'm willing to travel (US/Canada) and the cost is not a huge issue. I'm an aspiring fitness model and simply have no chance of going anywhere with my current crop of hair! It's not just that though - my hair loss has been affecting my confidence for a long time now.

I've attached various pictures that were taken today after a 1 clipper shave (my scalp may look oily as I applied Minoxidil before the photos were taken). I've clearly got a receeding hairline, some thinning in the mid-scalp and a nice bald patch on the crown. I'm hoping the propecia/minoxidil will at least stabilise hair loss and possibly (hopefully) thicken my hair a little in the vertex and crown.

Interested in people's thoughts! I'll add some more photos in a week when my hair grows out a little.

Cheers

Hello Fitness Junkie!

I feel you my friend. I lost most all my hair by age 24. The truth is that Propecia had really helped me, I even felt like my hair had actually come back! but no chance... the truth is that the only thing that actually worked was having a hair transplant. It was a tough decision, but I went from spending random money in cover up, products, pills, etc., to actually being happy with myself, it looks great now. It was 7 months of a little transition, but the results are amazing! I am really happy to say that the decision changed my life. Just make sure you get a great doctor and do it right.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Ops, I understand that you went to consult and been said you are not a candidate for a ht.

English is not my native lang , sorry :)

Azazelgs,

If u are referring to me in yr post then u are once again mistaken...

yeah there are good results no question about it, but there is risk and at age 26 u better understand that before going ahead and jumping in the chair. Make sure u understand everything in detail..

If your unsure or not content with your amount of hair. Why don't you try hair extensions then.

Hello Carlabe659,

You know for some folks HT is just not the best option and some type of prosthetic hair toupe, wig, extensions may work best. Make sure you look at the pros and cons of whatever you are considering. Many times extensions are secured by braiding the hair and the lacing in the extensions. When braiding is involved over long periods of time it is important for a person to guard against traction alopecia. All the Best in your choice, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum