Is it possible to do a "Mini HT" to fix temples?

Greetings,

As you can see from the attached picture, I have a bit of recession but am currently a NW2.

Would it be possible to do an HT to fix the temple areas? I realize it would be stupid to use "high grade" donor hair as one would have to think that sooner or later I will recede further than NW2 and be left with some "devil horns" at my temples.

Could an HT be done with hair from a somewhat DHT sensitive area so that I wouldn't be left with "devil horns" if things were to progress? Would I be left with transplant scars at the transplant site?

I have been taking Finasteride for 6 months. I believe I might be in the very very early stages of NW4 pattern (or more) judging by where my hair texture feels different. I am just about 23 years old.

thanks

Untitled2.jpg.41657a39821af4feb94f777259d307d2.jpg

No Doctor would use hair exclusively from DHT-prone areas as it would most likely go bald as well leaving you out of pocket and the Doctor with a bad reputation. There are Doctors however that will fill in your temples with DHT resistant hair. If the rest does disappear you will have to go back for more procedures, but that is the game we play.

This is a little unusual and I have never heard of this before. I would think that this is not possible and that you should wait a while and see how things turn out.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Actually, there are "reputable" doctors that will do exactly what you are asking. They will transplant nape hair via FUE. Nape hair is definitely great for hairlines because it's usually of a finer diameter than the typical hair found in the donor zone. Nape hair however is not resistant to DHT in many men and will often thin out with time. I think the use of nape hair is a bad idea. However, even if you did have nape hair placed in your temples there is no guarantee that you would not be left with the "horns" as you put it because the hair behind it may thin out sooner than the nape hair. Conversely the nape hair may thin out before any further recession occurs thus rendering your time and money, as well as the entire procedure itself, useless and wasted.

The recipient scarring is dependent on the type of tool that is used for making the incisions. You look fine now and you should not proceed with any sort of hair transplant at this time. To do so would have bigger risks than rewards.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Precisely what Joe said. A NW2 at the age of 23 should never get a hair transplant. You are doing the right thing now by taking the finasteride - stay on it. If you find a doctor willing to do a transplant on you then make sure you run the other way and don't look back.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

If you ever decide to have a hair transplant a plan needs to be created that will take into account that you will likely have more hair loss in the future. Also, it is necessary to keep some donor hair in reserve to touch up and/or connecrt areas that were previously transplanted to newer areas of hair loss.I am not a negative thinker in any way but I do discuss worse case scenarios with my patients. Everyone deserves to know what all the good and bad possibilities are before making any decisions.

Two issues come to mind here, besides trying to identify and use hair which is a further back in the cue, but not immune from DHT carnage.

1) Temple hair is extremely fine at the edges and

2) Temple hair is extremely acute in angle of exit from the skin

Donor hair mismatch is likely but not fatal. Just be creative and don't mimic the original temple hair except superficially.

Healthy follicles behind can be get damaged by the creation of slits if they mimic the angle of the former hair.

So while you create a solid temple line (albeit a rather less natural one) , you can cause a crescent of empty skin to appear behind where you planted. (This happened to me twice, a little higher up than the temple, but same thing, planting acutely (- my request, (excellent surgeon))

So temple 'touchups' are tricky.

You gotta do more than you really need, and you gotta change things a bit in terms of what you expect viz-a-viz, 'I want my old temples back'

Thanks for the insight.

If we ignore the financial side of things, would it still be a stupid decision?

200-300 and grafts and it wouldn't even look like I'm balding at all?

From the pic you posted I think it would be a bad idea to having a scar just for 200-300 grafts on a virgin scalp. I think you should wait and see how your hair looks in another couple years. It is actually cheaper in the long run to have a larger session as opposed to numerous small ones usually. This is just my opinion.

From the pic you posted I think it would be a bad idea to having a scar just for 200-300 grafts on a virgin scalp. I think you should wait and see how your hair looks in another couple years. It is actually cheaper in the long run to have a larger session as opposed to numerous small ones usually. This is just my opinion.

I defnitely wouldn't do a strip to fix this, I think FUE is good for small jobs?

I'd be willing to spend the money but it in terms of "the long run" its bad to do it now, then I won't.