Please help a depressed man

Iamx121

Well it's got to the point with my hair that I’m so low on confidence that I so want to restore my hair to get my life back.

I'm a 41 year old male living in Kent, uk.

I first noticed my hair getting thinner in my late 20's. It has been a gradual process and something that has worried me now for so long.

To most people my hair looks ok. I can style it in a way that it looks normal.

It's only in the last 6 months that it's getting harder to hide my thinning hair.

It has got to the stage that it has taken over my life. I have no confidence in the way I look. I separated from my wife three years ago and currently live and work on my own.

It is getting to the stage where I’m happier staying in so I don't have to put wax in my thinning hair.

I have been in a new relationship for 5 months, but my all time low of confidence is now affecting this relationship.

I know I will not get through this stage of my life if I don't try to do something about it.

Last year I did a year’s treatment at the Belgravia centre in London. I used the Propecia and minoxidil treatment that just didn't work. It seems since I stopped my hair loss has increased.

I guess I’m after advice on what I should do next.

I know I will have to pay a hefty sum of money to try to do anything about it.

But I know if whatever I do is a success will make me happy again.

Is the best option for me to have a hair transplant? What are the costs.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum.

First things first, please do not let your hair loss ruin your confidence and subsequently your life. You hair will do whatever is is going to do anyway, so spending your time worrying about it is just going to mean you waste time that you could be enjoying yourself.

That said, i feel your pain, so with that in mind, let us (the forum) help and guide you to try and assist where we can. After all, the majority of people on here have suffered some form of hair loss at some point in their life and a percentage of us have undergone transplant treatment to help.

So, whilst we get started on advising you, keep you chin up and lets get some of the basic facts about your hair loss to begin with....

What Norwood scale are you?

How rapid has your hair loss progressed?

Has your hair loss slowed recently?

Are you on any medication now?

Pictures speak a thousand words, so please post some up so we can have a look and help.

A good HT doesn't have to be expensive or traumatic, it just has to be right. The hardest part is making the decision to have it done or not.

We are here to help. Feel free to ask any questions you wish. I am 2 months post HT and feel much better already. It's the best thing i ever did and there are still 6-8 months of more hair to come through!

Chin up chap

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Welcome to the forum.

First things first, please do not let your hair loss ruin your confidence and subsequently your life. You hair will do whatever is is going to do anyway, so spending your time worrying about it is just going to mean you waste time that you could be enjoying yourself.

That said, i feel your pain, so with that in mind, let us (the forum) help and guide you to try and assist where we can. After all, the majority of people on here have suffered some form of hair loss at some point in their life and a percentage of us have undergone transplant treatment to help.

So, whilst we get started on advising you, keep you chin up and lets get some of the basic facts about your hair loss to begin with....

What Norwood scale are you?

How rapid has your hair loss progressed?

Has your hair loss slowed recently?

Are you on any medication now?

Pictures speak a thousand words, so please post some up so we can have a look and help.

A good HT doesn't have to be expensive or traumatic, it just has to be right. The hardest part is making the decision to have it done or not.

We are here to help. Feel free to ask any questions you wish. I am 2 months post HT and feel much better already. It's the best thing i ever did and there are still 6-8 months of more hair to come through!

Chin up chap

Rob

Thank you for the kind words and all the others that has replied. I will try to add a picture in a while.

My hair loss has been very gradual. It's only the last year where it is really starting to look thin. I guess if you keep losing hair that is the only way to go.

My hair loss, to me, seems to have increased recently. Perhaps due to the fact I’m more and more worried about it.

I'm currently not any medication.

Hi,

You should definitely try propecia and minoxidil again because it should help stabilise your hairloss. To be honest at your stage in life you have very dense hair and it shouldn't be affecting you in this way. I had lost 50% of my hair at 21 years of age.

The forum has one recommended clinic in the UK or you could send a personal message to Spex. He is a forum member with a lot of experience.

Cheers Rod

I think your mind is playing tricks on you. At 41, you have a really good amount of hair, you should be proud!

If you want your hairline lowering and your crown filling it would be no problem and can be done with a simple FUE procedure.

Look at my pics from the consultation just before my FUE transplant and you'll see i had a lot less than you have and i'm 35!

You've done one step of the hard part... accepting you want to do something about it. Let me know if you need any help throughout and i/others on here will help you through it.

Regards

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Thanks for the kind words Rob. I guess on the outside it does look like i still have a decent head of hair. Comparing my hair now and ten years ago there is a hufe difference in the thickness.

I have emailed Spex and he asked for pictures which i have sent.

I just know i have to do something about this now before it takes over my life completely.

Do suggest a transplant is best for me, if so what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks

Jon

Hi John,

In the short term a HT will definitely help you but if you don't stop the progression of your hairloss or accept that you may need another one in the future.

You should definitely not let this affect your level of confidence and happiness in your life.

Cheers Rod

Do you recommened getting finasteride to stop the hair loss for now?

I presume i would have to go overseas and not in the UK to have my HT?

Sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me. I know there are lots of people and products that just rip you off . So i want to get this right.

Jon

There is nothing wrong with your hair, you are blaming your personal issues on your hair. Getting a HT will make it worse, it is no silver bullet. You need to figure out why you feel depressed and quit using your hair as an excuse. From your pics. it does not make sense you feel this way over your hair. Getting a HT will only make you obsess over it more and you probably won't be happy with any result you receive.

There is nothing wrong with your hair, you are blaming your personal issues on your hair. Getting a HT will make it worse, it is no silver bullet. You need to figure out why you feel depressed and quit using your hair as an excuse. From your pics. it does not make sense you feel this way over your hair. Getting a HT will only make you obsess over it more and you probably won't be happy with any result you receive.

I appreciate the reply but this has been the only thing holding me back the last few years. You don't know what my hair was like 10 years ago. Believe me it is waffer thin compared to what was back then.

Anyway, i've had some great advice and i am sorting things out with spex's help.

Hi there,

Personally, i don't take any medication as my hair loss seems to have almost stopped now, i simply don't want the side effects.

With regard to your treatment, if you are definitely wanting to have some form of HT, i would suggest some at the hairline and maybe some dense packing to fill in the native hairs if you think you are likely to loose some more.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Definitely propecia. You need to stay on it for at least a year to know if it is working. It stabilizes hairless in over 90 percent of men.

For 41 your hair looks better that 95 percent on the forum. I would guess that you are looking at less that 10,000 US dollars, and if it is affecting you that bad, you should go for it. Research this forum and pic a doc you like and go for it. Life is too short to be depressed over hair when many are able to do something about it. I, however, do not recommend ht for someone not willing to try propecia for at least a year, assuming you had no sides.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Iamx21

How are things? You feeling any better after speaking to people on here? Do you have a plan of action?

Don't go quiet on us buddy.

Hope you are feeling better, chin up

Rob

Hey Rob.

Thanks for the concerns. I'm ok thanks. I'm back on the tablets (Finasteride). Had no side effects when i was on Propecia last year so all good with that.

After lots of emails and phonecalls back and forth with Spex, i'm booked in with Dr Feller in October.

So heres hoping all goes well.

Please tell me you are not having FUT? Do you really want a scar across the back of your head?

Take time to consider all the options. ...

Yes, Spex is a great guy and a fountain of knowledge, but he also works for Dr. Feller, so is bound to recommend him. Feller does FUT.

Again, nothing wrong with Dr. Feller, he has had some fantastic results, but please please consider what's best for you. If you are depressed about how you feel now, imagine if you have visible scarring after FUT, you could feel worse.

If however, you are completely comfortable with having FUT, then you are in safe hands with Spex and Dr.Feller, the results will be good.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Booked for surgery in two months? With your hair?

You obsess over a non existent issue, and you don't think you will be obsessing over cosmetic surgery?

Impulsive decisions aren't always the best decisions.

You have very good hair considering you've been losing for over 10 years. Lots of people I know lose it all in less time than that.

That is a huge advantage in your favor. Your crown still looks to be pretty solid, so I think you have pretty good genetics, all things considered.

Dr. Feller is top notch, and is excellent at hairlines. This time next year you won't even think about your hair loss. How many grafts did he quote you?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You have very good hair considering you've been losing for over 10 years. Lots of people I know lose it all in less time than that.

That is a huge advantage in your favor. Your crown still looks to be pretty solid, so I think you have pretty good genetics, all things considered.

Dr. Feller is top notch, and is excellent at hairlines. This time next year you won't even think about your hair loss. How many grafts did he quote you?

Thanks for the kind words. I have been told it will be 1800 grafts.