New guy at work - how do I keep from accidentally looking at his pluggy hairline?

Atticus

I don't know if anyone here has had this happen. A new guy started work this morning, and his hairline is right at my eye level. It is really apparent he had a pluggy HT. I am afraid of letting my eyesight linger too long by mistake. I don't want to make him feel self conscious, or let on that I notice anything.

Have any of you dealt with this?

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Yeah, I had to deal with it when I was the guy with the same hairline ten years and more ago. Do him a favor, look at the spot between his eyes. If you can't do that then just avoid him because having people looking at your pluggy hairline instead of your eyes, day in and day out, is extremely difficult to deal with.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I remember the first time I saw the results of a poor hair transplant in public; very pluggy, uneven hairline and an unfortunate, stretched "strip scar" to match. Because I know what occurred, my curious nature took over and it was difficult not to study him a bit.

However, like Joe said, I think it's best to remain compassionate and try to look him directly in the eyes. I'm sure he's aware of the way his hairline appears and would probably appreciate people not focusing on it.

Who knows, maybe one day you'll get to know him well and direct him to the forums?? :D

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yeah, I had to deal with it when I was the guy with the same hairline ten years and more ago. Do him a favor, look at the spot between his eyes. If you can't do that then just avoid him because having people looking at your pluggy hairline instead of your eyes, day in and day out, is extremely difficult to deal with.

Thanks for the insight. Because of this forum, I have developed an eagle eye for such things. I will try to focuse on his "third eye". :)

I would feel really bad if he felt I noticed something, it is hard enough being the new guy.

Atticus :cool:

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Who knows, maybe one day you'll get to know him well and direct him to the forums?? :D

You never know. For now, I am just looking at him directly in the eyes like you guys said. Being a member here has made me very sensitive to such issues.

See you guys!

Atticus :cool:

P.S. One of the girls at work noticed/said something about the gunk in his hair. I suspect the new guy went to heavy on some concelear, or something. I told the girl "Oh, it's probably just hair gel or something" and I changed the subject very quickly.

Edited by Atticus

Atticus = conscientious coworker. Two thumbs up from me!

Definitely do everything you can to look at his eyes. If you have to study his hairline then try to do it while he's turned away or to decide. Just not when you are talking to him.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You sound like a good guy, Atticus.

I'd be very tempted to befriend the guy and direct him towards some good surgeons to get repaired, but I know it's something you could never bring up - it would have to be him.

The problem is the rest of the guys in the office are probably not as considerate as you!

Kudos to you for watching out for his best interests!

Does your workplace know about your transplant? If so, that could be the icebreaker one day. Then again, his pluggy hairline might not bother him. You need to get to know him good before anything hair related is mentioned. It can be a very sensitive subject!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

He's probably oblivious to the fact that his hairline looks ridiculous, and so is his super-hot wife..... If he catches you looking, tell him that you are jealous of his hairline, and you had to have a transplant for yours...then maybe he'll share his "secret" and yall can become best buds. One thing leads to another and you meet his wife, then find out that they are swingers. and getting caught looking at his hairline was the best thing that ever happened to you.

Or something like that.

Hi RCWest,

Nobody at my work knows about my HT. I work in an office with a few/enough caddy people that I never felt like mentioning it at work. I have a lot of friends at work, but I have learned not to share to much personal stuff at work over the years.

I am lucky though. I have never had anyone cast lingering looks at my hairline, and my own family has not been able to detect anything.

Yeah, sometimes it kills me because I would like to share my knowledge with people, but I am afraid they will get offended or angry, so like most, I keep silent. A while back another guy went out for exactly ten days. He had a strip surgery. He came back to work WAY to soon. He had scabbing on his grafts so it almost looked like they were popping out of his skin, and I could see his strip scar. Needless to say, that got all over the office, and people were looking up at his head although they did not say anything. I acted like I did not notice anything. Work can be like grade school sometimes.

HAve a good one everyone!

Atticus

Kudos to you for watching out for his best interests!

Does your workplace know about your transplant? If so, that could be the icebreaker one day. Then again, his pluggy hairline might not bother him. You need to get to know him good before anything hair related is mentioned. It can be a very sensitive subject!

He's probably oblivious to the fact that his hairline looks ridiculous, and so is his super-hot wife..... If he catches you looking, tell him that you are jealous of his hairline, and you had to have a transplant for yours...then maybe he'll share his "secret" and yall can become best buds. One thing leads to another and you meet his wife, then find out that they are swingers. and getting caught looking at his hairline was the best thing that ever happened to you.

Or something like that.

He he he!!!!!!!

Atticus :D

You sound like a good guy, Atticus.

I'd be very tempted to befriend the guy and direct him towards some good surgeons to get repaired, but I know it's something you could never bring up - it would have to be him.

The problem is the rest of the guys in the office are probably not as considerate as you!

Yeah, I hear you about the temptation. It kills me because I know it can be repaired, my instinct is to help people.

Atticus

It's really hard not to look. But being a former baldy, I remember how I felt when I thought people were starring at my head or even when people made comments that I was going bald. Now imagine undergoing surgery and instead of a nice, natural looking hair transplant result, the work is subpar and your hair looks unnatural and frankly, worse than before when you had no hair at all. I can only imagine how self conscious some of these people may be. Thus, I always do my best to avoid looking.

Best wishes,

Bill

It looks like his pluggy hairline was built up, but he lost hair behind it. So he is basically bald up top and in the crown area. He plasters it down straight back to cover up that area, in other words he grows long and slicks it straight back. So he has two issues, the pluggy hairline, and balding behind it. Damn, I imagine he has to really worry about a strong wind blowing his hairaway from his bald spots. I feel for the dude. I have noticed he tries to keep people at a distance. :(

It looks like his pluggy hairline was built up, but he lost hair behind it. So he is basically bald up top and in the crown area. He plasters it down straight back to cover up that area, in other words he grows long and slicks it straight back. So he has two issues, the pluggy hairline, and balding behind it. Damn, I imagine he has to really worry about a strong wind blowing his hairaway from his bald spots. I feel for the dude. I have noticed he tries to keep people at a distance. :(

Well, yes. He does have to worry about the wind. His case sounds just like my own. I'll give you some insight into what this guy has to deal with every day. I had 300 mini-grafts as a hairline and nothing behind it, at all, back to my big bald crown. I had to do the same thing as this guy, grow it long and comb it back thinking that it would make the situation less obvious. The ONLY thing that kept me from shaving my head wasn't the two donor scars in the back because that was minor and could be explained away. It was the way the grafts would look the day after I shaved them down. They would be thick stalks of hair poking their way through the pitted skin. That is what worried me and what I had to deal with. To style my hair like this guy does took about 45 minutes because I had to get the "coverage" just right and spray it for ten minutes to keep it down. If a strong wind came along then no amount of hair spray would keep my hair from turning into a boat sail making me look like the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls. If it rained then the hair spray keeping my creation solid as a rock would fall apart and looked like a wet dandelion. Once that air dried, which took about 43 seconds, it would be a frizzy mess that looked like my hair was the victim of a screaming cat attack. If this guy is like I was, and I'm sure he is, his daily existence is a nightmare of worry and despair so be sure to be damned careful with how you deal with him.

One thing you can do is what I did once. I too worked in an office with a guy that had some bad plug word done. This was after my second procedure and before I started working for Hasson & Wong. I saw right away what was going on and decided to do what I could to let him know he could talk to me about it. I had my blog on my computer screen and I called him into my office to ask him for some investing advice. He was always talking about the correlation between stocks, interest rates and currency so I knew he'd take the bait. After about three minutes he glanced at my computer screen then glanced back at me and did a double take back to my screen. He then asked what was on my computer and said "Is that you?" I told him it was and that struck up the conversation about my history. Wanna know his response to all this? He said. "Yeah, I had some work too and it's pretty good, isn't it?". I couldn't do anything from that point on because he honestly thought it looked good and it was not my right to tell him otherwise.

So, if you don't mind outing yourself then go for it but keep in mind he may not be aware of how he looks to others so you can't just assume that he agrees with how bad it looks. He may be perfectly happy with that so you have to be just as sensitive to this possibility as you would to the situation overall.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joe - I have to tell you. You deserve the great results you enjoy today after all you went through.

Cheers bud!!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Jo i think there are hundreds of thousands of us that are pre ht that wake up in the morning look out, see a gale and think feck. I am researching like crazy at the moment. I am a nw3/4 and my crown is thinning rapidly, i was on propecia and i remember my barber telling me how well my hair looked around 3/4 years ago. I went off it, BIG mistake, i have a receding hairline but funnily enough that does not bother me as much as my gaping crown. It takes me min a half an hour to get ready in the morning due to my frigging hair.

I was on a stag in Galway a few weeks ago and this lass sat beside us, she had a few beers and was well on it, she just goes, your cute but your balding, ARGGGGHHHH, thanks for that love in front of 30/40 other people, some people have no tact and are just insensitive beggars. What i love here is how understanding the post ht people are, we have all been there.

Just contemplating telling my gf that i want a ht as i think she will think i am crackers. Wish me luck.

PS, mind that lad in work.

Oh boy!!!! So this gossip at work come to me and says "I noticed the new guy has black paint on his scalp". I tried to veer her off of that by saying "It probably just looks like that because he has such dark hair. She wasn't buying it.

Damn!!!!! It has been so crazy busy at work, I have not had any time to interact with the new guy, we have been really short handed lately.

Arrgh!!!!!! :(

Just contemplating telling my gf that i want a ht as i think she will think i am crackers. Wish me luck.

PS, mind that lad in work.

She will probably be fine with it. Just explain to her that the advancements in HT technology have come a long way from the "Doll head" look. If she is apprehensive, show her pictures from this forum as proof.

Atticus

I don't know if anyone here has had this happen. A new guy started work this morning, and his hairline is right at my eye level. It is really apparent he had a pluggy HT. I am afraid of letting my eyesight linger too long by mistake. I don't want to make him feel self conscious, or let on that I notice anything.

Atticus

I hope you never work with me, as I don't want you staring at my plugs, either.

Atticus

How do you avoid staring at the chest of the hot woman at work with the low cut blouse when you are talking to her? Just don't do it.

As far as your gossipy co-workers go who want to make fun of this guy behind his back, tell them to get a life and leave him alone.

How do you avoid staring at the chest of the hot woman at work with the low cut blouse when you are talking to her? Just don't do it.

As far as your gossipy co-workers go who want to make fun of this guy behind his back, tell them to get a life and leave him alone.

I actually just emailed the gossip from today and wrote her an email telling her to drop the whole thing and not mention it to others. I told her it was wrong, and just plain mean.

She actually emailed me back saying she felt bad and didn't realize how sensitive men are in these situations. Duh! She said she would drop it.

And yes, I have avoided looking at his hairline. The title of my original post was asking for advice on how NOT to accidentally look at his hairline without thinking. Jotronic told me to look him directly between the eyes, and this is what I have done.

Night guys, have to go lift some weights!

Atticus