Large crusting and scabs

John R

Holy crap! That's like one huge scab. It should not be like that 14 days post-op. Three showers a day is plenty but are getting your head at all? Are you gently rubbing shampoo on the recipient area at all? You can try body oil to soften it up. You may want to contact you doctor. There may be an infection going on... Who did your work btw?

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Im using Hibiclense, then a medicated shampoo 3 times a day.

I have been going back every back every 4-5 days.

My main concern is the possible loss of grafts under that area.

PAI Medical (yea...I know)

Is the medicated shampoo prescribed by your doctor specifically for the scabbing? Or is it a tar-based or Ketoconazole-based shampoo?

This kind of scabbing is definitely not good for your grafts. I hope PAI is giving you the kind of attention you need - but I am skeptical. Is there a local coalition doc that can give you a second opinion? Where are you located?

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

You may want to schedule an appointment with Dr. Konior in Chicago to get a second opinion. But I hope this clears up for you soon.

That's scary! :confused:

Normally all scabs should be gone by day 14... I barely had any scabs to begin with and by day 7 my transplant area was all clean (just a bit pinkish). Guess it depends on tools and technique used to puncture the holes and place the grafts in them.

Please follow the advise given in this thread and get a second opinion asap!

Wow, that looks like excessive scabbing. What was their immediate post-op care? You need to be massaging the area with your fingertips to loosen those scabs up. I used a gentle baby shampoo my first few days.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Definitely get that checked with a doctor asap. Don't want to scare you, I am not a professional, but I've seen someone talk about excessive scabbing a while back and suggested necrosis. So, it's best to get it checked out asap. Speak with a doctor before you apply anything too. Best of luck.

Post-op was the next day 12/02/11 with a wash and exam.

3 days of showering by just pouring cups of water over the area, then light/full contact with shower head after that.

I will try to get an appointment today with another a Dr. (not much local here)

Right now they advise 30 min warm wash cloth soak prior to shower, hibiclense wash, shampoo wash and blow dry. I am doing this 3 times a day. I am also on an antibiotic now.

Just want to thank everyone for posting.

This is my full time nightmare right now.

Yes.. I am using very vigorus massage in the shower.

I have been photographing daily and VERY slowly the size of these is diminishing.

However I am very worried. Besides the obvious reasons, I would hate to lose all the grafts in those areas. Which leads me back to original post of information of what damage this can cause to these grafts.

If I cant get into a Dr. today maybe a Dermatology doctor?

I found a Dr. Samuels in my area. Trying to get in to see someone on short notice is a pain in the ass.

Hair&Cosmetic Dermatology Center

Thanks again for all thoughts

You should see someone TODAY! If you can't find a doctor go to the ER. Necrosis (if this is what it is) can be very serious if not treated. Only time will tell what will happen to your grafts, but that shouldn't be your main concern right now. Make sure to document everything and take many detailed pics. I'm really sorry this is happening to you.

John, I have seen one other case of post-HT necrosis on here and after looking at your picture on my computer (not on my phone) I think Jotronic might be right. Get it checked out immediately by whomever you can and please keep us updated. Good luck.

P.S. Here is the poster who had the necrosis. It was a much smaller case of necrosis than what yours looks like. Unfortunately the patient did not have good growth...

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1579

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I just returned from my primary care (who is not an expert).

He said it did not look like necrosis, however he did take a culture swab and will try to get the test back today.

He said the antibiotic I am on is the proper course for now.

I have an appt. with Dr. Samules Monday morning, then a follow-up with PAI that afternoon.

Thanks for the link hairthere. How sad after all this I might have the same results.

Is Dr. Humayun that did that procedure still recommemded on this site?

John R

Glad you got in to the doctor..let us know when you get your culture results back..I do not think the doctor you mentioned is recommended by this site! At least I couldn't find him.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks so much. Will update soon

I looked at the link hairthere sent me, to review the pictures.

Then went to that Doctors link site:

Dr. Humayun Mohmand is

recommended on the

Hair Transplant Network