HELP...Should I SHAVE my head for my FUT tomorrow with Rahal?

Hey...i have been thinking for a while if I should just shave my entire head to start from scratch or should i just have him shave my area that he will implant?

Reason being...I heard people say it is easier to clean and care for when it is all shaved...can I please have some feedback??? I'm goin into surgery tomorrow morning...Thanks!!!!

Shave it all of man, its very difficult to clean with hair there and its just a lot cleaner. youre going to have to use a spray bottle to wash your hair for the next week so that cant be very comfortable with hair getting in the way. Mike also told me i should shave it and hes the one whos going to shave your hair tomorrow.

Shave it all of man, its very difficult to clean with hair there and its just a lot cleaner. youre going to have to use a spray bottle to wash your hair for the next week so that cant be very comfortable with hair getting in the way. Mike also told me i should shave it and hes the one whos going to shave your hair tomorrow.

Browser

Just curios, I wonder why Dr Rahal want you to grow your hair out for 6 weeks if we just shave it when we get there.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I shaved it all, the doctor suggested it and you'll feel much more confident in public.

I was planning on shaving just the recipient area, then saw how silly it looked. Better to look like a skinhead than bozo the clown (bald on top, hair on sides). From results posted here, it seems most people end up shaving it if they didn't do it before surgery.

Also, its MUCH easier to clean and apply the vitamins/creams post op.

I grew my hair out and just had the recipient area cut short for the HT.....all worked out fine and the scar was completely hidden from day one. I could blend the native hair with the grafts.....just a different approach than shaving and it worked well for me.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Yeah I had them shave everything. They had told me it will be much easier to clean the area.

Did you have any scar concealment 2 or 3 weeks after surgery? I mean how long did it take your hair to grow back out to cover there scar?

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Oh i had FUE done not FUT, I should have said that sorry. My hair has already pretty much covered the tiny punches they made after only 4 days. Wife says she can barley see anything. A guy a met down there had an FUT done, he didn't shave all his hair off and was crying about how difficult it was to clean it.

Edited by Bowser1982

Yeah thats what Im thinking, just shaving it down to a 3ish on the sides. Pretty short and probably be a lot easier to clean. In the end Ill just wait and see what Dr Rahal recommends

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

I would never shave off all my hair for a FUT. If you do that, the wound/scar will be visible for at least a month, possible longer (untill your hair has grown long enough to cover it). I wouldn't want the whole world (neighbours, coworkers, ...) to see it.

There really is no real answer...reason being if you don't try to blend everything you will look just as bad bc the top of your head is completely shaved and the back is long? So today I had them shave me down to like a 3 all over to at least make it look better and it does...it also still covers the scar somewhat...def can't totally see it...there is so much polysporin in it that I'm sure that shows the scar more...once it is out i think it will cover it.

shaving the head = makes it a whole lot efficient/easier to clean and take care of the transplanted area as well as the donor area.

I feel it also makes the growth remain even. Especially, if you just start out applying rogaine after 20-25 days after procedure. It makes it easier to apply that as well and helps you get great coverage of the medication when you apply it all over the scalp(if you decide to). It is spread evenly without any issues. So, you don't really see an initial shed from the rogaine, it just grows with your scalp hair and fills in the gaps. If your hair is longer, some people may have an initial shed, and it may show more with longer hair. Few people have that temporary shed, especially, if they apply it on hairs other then where they had grafts transplanted.

I had my head shaved and it made everything easy to clean. It didn't even look unbalanced in a month. Everything just blended in. This is a good option if you are having hairline work. With midscalp and crown work, I think it wouldn't matter as much. For frontal work and to blend it all in, I think shaving or blending with a clip 1 or 2 or 3 may keep things a little more even and easier to clean.

• 1 month later...

Why tell him to shave it if it's strip! Some of you guys have had FUE and shaving for that is fine, but for strip, shaving it is just asking for trouble with a capital 'T'. Do you want him to be a walking advertisement for his efforts to conceal the 'dangerous truth' about having to 'resort to' having a hair transplant?

Let them stitch you or staple you up and ask them to have the hair shortish near the scar, but long enough to hide it. The staples might still be visible through the hair, but once they are out it will look good. The scar is usually good for the first six to ten weeks ('pencil thin') but even so, during that time, you will be grateful for that strip of hair covering it.

As for the rest, a lot of guys do cut it really short soon after, and with shock loss and loss of the transplanted hair, that makes sense too, but with redness and the fact that you will look much worse than pre-op for a while, I don't know if it is wise, unless you can expertly cut the whole thing very short and yet somehow conceal the scar.