Almost 9 months out with no noticeable growth

strong887

Had ~2400 grafts 8.5 months ago to frontal third and crown transplanted into areas that were previously transplanted in to late '90's. I went back to my very prominent NYC surgeon a few weeks ago to take a look as I do not notice anything growing. He said it is still too early to tell and was not concerned. When I inquired that all the posts I see of 6-8months with very significant growth I he said everyone grows at a different pace and to wait a full year. Thought? I have read the growth times posts,etc but I would think that by this point some growth should be noticeable. I will post some pics. But guess I, just looking for some concurrence. Is it true that if prior surgeries were done that it markedly delays the growth rate on subsequent transplants?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have pictures you can post? It is the only way to tell what's really going on. That being said, no noticeable growth at 8.5 months is not a good sign.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Had ~2400 grafts 8.5 months ago to frontal third and crown transplanted into areas that were previously transplanted in to late '90's. I went back to my very prominent NYC surgeon a few weeks ago to take a look as I do not notice anything growing. He said it is still too early to tell and was not concerned. When I inquired that all the posts I see of 6-8months with very significant growth I he said everyone grows at a different pace and to wait a full year. Thought? I have read the growth times posts,etc but I would think that by this point some growth should be noticeable. I will post some pics. But guess I, just looking for some concurrence. Is it true that if prior surgeries were done that it markedly delays the growth rate on subsequent transplants?

Strong887, do you have before and current pictures you can post to show what has happened. Do you know the graft breakdown as well from those 2400 grafts? 8.5 months should have some growth, but it also depends on how much of an area those 2400 grafts covered. 2400 grafts for both the frontal third and crown together may depend on the size of the area covered. You are right though, by 8.5 months you should be able to see some growth. Most people start growing hairs between the 3rd and 4th months. I started growing some transplanted hairs 57-58 days post op. Some people do not have speedy growth like that, for most it is 3-4 months, and at 8.5 months if you have not seen growth then by the 12 month you should, if not then there is something wrong. Usually, people wait a full year to make a judgement.

Had ~2400 grafts 8.5 months ago to frontal third and crown transplanted into areas that were previously transplanted in to late '90's. I went back to my very prominent NYC surgeon a few weeks ago to take a look as I do not notice anything growing. He said it is still too early to tell and was not concerned. When I inquired that all the posts I see of 6-8months with very significant growth I he said everyone grows at a different pace and to wait a full year.

Strong,

This is something I come across often on the forums and have always wondered about...

Basically, many people claim that prior work from the pre-URFUT era of hair restoration can impede or prevent growth with a new procedure, even with the current techniques. If this is true, then why would a doctor accept such a patient? Also, how is it determined whether the previous work could potentially compromise any new procedure?

H&W recently posted an inspiring case from a burn victim who had stellar results. I can't imagine previous methods of hair restoration would be more traumatic, invasive and intractable than that of a burn victim...

Either way, you should definitely be seeing growth 8.5 months post-op. If not, then I'd feel comfortable saying that your procedure is all but assured to be a failure. Of course, you have to wait until a year to assess the final result, but to have no growth at 8.5 months post-op is unheard of, except in the cases of outright failures.

However, you need to post some pics to get any meaningful input on this matter. Also, who was the doctor of your previous procedure and your most recent one?

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I went back to my very prominent NYC surgeon a few weeks ago to take a look as I do not notice anything growing. He said it is still too early to tell and was not concerned. When I inquired that all the posts I see of 6-8months with very significant growth I he said everyone grows at a different pace and to wait a full year.

Strong,

One more thing...

I find the above statement a little hard to believe. Are you saying that the doctor really wasn't concerned at all, even in the slightest? Did he say that you should expect big things in the next 3.5 months?

Surely there had to be something else... he must have said something to the effect of what you should expect or what could potentially compromise your result?

I can't imagine how any doctor, let alone a 'prominent NYC surgeon" could dismiss no growth at 8.5 months post-op as irrelevant. Something doesn't add up here...

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

He largely dismissed my concern due to the fact that i was only 8 months out (too early) and he expected it to take longer to start growing. He was quite confident that it would grow as expected at 1 year (or longer). Will post pics soon.

I tend to agree with the others: without images its a little difficult to give a measured opinion.

That said, I'm of the belief that you should have seen something by now.

I've always felt strongly that by the 6 month mark you should be able to clearly tell where you're headed results wise.

In my long experience reading and researching I've seen many posts such as yours. And its a very rare thing to have no growth at 8 months and suddenly experience a massive growth spurt in the last 4 months to the one year mark.

I hate to say it, but if you're truly looking at no growth at 8.5 months, I would say you had a failed procedure for one reason or another.

Your doctor saying "wait a full year"at this point is basically telling you to go away and get used to the idea that it didn't work.

Hal

Attached are some pre op, 2-3 days post op, and 8-8.5 months later. The recent pics are after shower / styling. Perhaps i am being overly critical or my expectations are unrealistically set too high for the # of grafts i received.. but SOME reassurance would be great ( if warranted).

5b32d02f512e6_Patientpic1.jpg.00b9e99ee80b672d26e4f679a1956f8f.jpg

5b32d02f6f606_Patient6pic2.jpg.5d6375078bb98f8be4577e9813ac64ee.jpg

5b32d02f7fadc_postop7.jpg.6cd66e1a95bed99388ab41816d0883d2.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg.3c9541c85d2b80547aae9bda37c7270d.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg.34b9f49715d6e5a9ee2f3d718c1fa7aa.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg.1f4e51183dbe11d7f805d9f78590a979.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg.2a87b7fc9a38eb649a7dfad75f3aff88.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg.440e2766481ffcb600ddb0daa553e858.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg.4dbb34d603358d746236d0eb6cb1f792.jpg

Well, it does look like you had some growth, but to be honest with you, I don't love this HT work. The grafts appear to be spaced far apart and don't look like dense packing. What exactly was your goal? With your level of loss I would have concentrated on rebuilding the front, and address the crown in a second procedure. It looks like your surgeon may have spread you a bit thin. Now, that's fine if your goals were to have overall coverage with lighter density. I'm willing to bet there was a bit of a miscommunication between you and your doctor.

The good news is that you can always go for another round and create better density. Regarding your crown: growth tends to take longer in that area.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Yes there has been some growth but respectfully speaking, I really wouldn't be happy if I was in your position.

I think you have had consistent responses too so far.

I hope things get resolved for you.

What is your doctor doing NOW to reassure you?

All the best,

Jessie

He largely dismissed my concern due to the fact that i was only 8 months out (too early) and he expected it to take longer to start growing. He was quite confident that it would grow as expected at 1 year (or longer). Will post pics soon.

I know that I've said this before, but I have to repeat it for new posters. The best results are almost always the early-growers. In fact, nearly all the winners show a dramatic change by six months.

The idea that a person with minimal results is going to enjoy a sudden and significant growth spurt after eight months is rubbish, and any doctor who tells you that is trying to string you along and get you out of his office without dropping the bomb that blows your hopes apart.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

Who is the doctor? I know he's said to be "very prominent" and in NYC, Strong. But the way he placed the grafts up front, the spaces in between them were considerably bigger than I've accustomed to seeing posted by patients of elite doctors. Now, with his handling of the results so far, there's even more issues to consider with him or her. It would be good information to know.

strong, yes that could delay growth. It would also set back the appearance as it's simple math; you had less hair to start with due to the shock. That being said, I still think you were not packed dense enough in your hairline/frontal area. So yes, you should expect more growth and maturation up until 12 months but I would really try to manage my expectations.

It does look like you have a combination of grafts spread out over a large area, limited growth and some impact from shock loss. While you might see some improvement over the next 3 or 4 months it is highly unlikely that there will be a lot more than what you have. You probably should start thinking about another procedure and what you want at accomplish with it. Very sorry for your situation, but the good news is another procedure can do a lot for you assuming you have sufficient donor.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi, Sorry top hear your concerns and i agree with the guys here that 8.5 months is sufficient time to see the majority of initially growth HOWEVER - You appear to have been a repair patient and these can take longer to grow due to scar tissue and also i note you were not shaved down either pre op.. This can lead to shock loss of native hair.

Did you feel you experienced any shock loss of native hair ?

You have had relatively few grafts distributed over a very large area so IMHO you are not going to see a huge transformation.

The placement/spacing doesnt appear that of a Coalition surgeon i must say...

Best

Spex

This work was absolutely from a Coalition surgeon - my main deciding factor was that he wouldn't shave the recipient area as I couldn't afford any significant downtime...

Strong887,

After looking at the photos, it does appear that you've had some growth. I also agree that you'll probably have some more growth in the coming months as you are a repair patient and quite possibly a slow grower.

The good news is, your hair already looks more natural and will only look better in the coming months. That said however, 2200 grafts transplanted in such a large balding area is not going to provide you with hardly any density. Thus, I hope that you and your surgeon discussed the reality that you'll need subsequent procedures to meet your goals. Truthfully, most patients need multiple procedures in order to provide them with even close to the head of hair they really want, although a full restoration is never truly possible for men with significant baldness.

For instance, the amount of your hair loss is very similar to mine and I've had over 9600 grafts over 4 procedures to get the kind of results you see in my pictures. Personally, I'm very satisfied but my hair is far from "true" density (natural hair density before any signs of hair loss).

If you haven't already, I encourage you to speak with your physician about your available donor and meeting your long term goals through subsequent hair transplant surgeries. Hopefully, this discussion help you and your physician come up with a long term strategic plan to help you obtain and meet realistic goals.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 months later...

Some days i do feel like my hair styles much easier and i don't have to fuss as much to get hair to just lay optimally... the last photos i posted were at 8 months, here is 3 months later....

I am going back in for a 12 month follow up in 4 weeks... i realize that i will need a 2nd procedure - how many more grafts do you guys think i will need to thicken the hairline and crown?

For 2200 grafts do you feel i had a good yield since they were spread so widely throughout?

IMG_1140.jpg.ed4d4dc54b3bcb97ca1b2e9780bb7640.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg.b13255e973b71bf202c59679bab7e112.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg.50f68599662097d16e221cfbf2e39831.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg.c7a47dbd882564a7b792023f752111ee.jpg

Its hard to tell from your pre-op and post-op photos, including lighting and angles, but it looks like you've had decent yield for that little amount of grafts over such a large area. The area behind your hairline looks thicker and so does your hairline.

How many further grafts do you need? I think the question is how many grafts do you actually have left. As a norwood 6, you need as many grafts as possible. I personally would target my hairline/frontal third for my next session and start hitting the crown area as well. So if doc tells you, they can do 2500 grafts at the next session, I would do something like 75% of that for the front/hairline and 25% for crown.

Treatment plan is dependent on how much you have left overall, what you think should be a priority and what the doc feels in his experience will optimize your grafts so discuss with your doc and try to hash out something.

Good luck.

Strong887. I agree thats a very bad HT, cant believe its coming from a coalition Doc from New York. Who is it? Feller or true & dorin or Bernstein these are the only coalition Docs in New York, IMO it would be either Bernstein or True&Dorin!!! Could you be more specific?

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Strong,

It does appear that 3 months did make a significant difference, at least, according to the recent photos you presented.

Given the large area of baldness you had to cover, it looks like the 2200 grafts you had transplanted produced decent yield. But in order to achieve any real density including coverage in the crown, you will most likely need a signficant number of grafts in addition to the ones you had transplanted. As I've stated above, I've had 9600 grafts total transplanted on my scalp with similar amounts of baldness as you. Thus, it's critical that you discuss your long term goals with your physician and how many procedures it might take to get you there. Assuming your expectations are realistic and you're willing to go the distance, your head of hair should continue to improve and appear thicker and fuller after each hair transplant procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill