Strip or FUE for future possibly high norwood

Hi all...

I've recently decided to have a transplant and booked in for procedure with a highly recommended doctor by this site..

After more research than you can possibly imagine though I'm still slightly undecided about whether to go for strip or fue - I've attached some pictures back and top..

I'm 31 - and currently wear my hair at around number 2 and it doesn't look bad - down to a 1 and i look like a bit of a hooligan - so having going up a grade to a 3 or a 4 to avoid scar showing - wouldn't be too much of a problem after strip if it results in a much better yield than FUE...

my donor doesn't seem to be completely appropriate for FUE ie limited right? But FUE obviously would give me the option of going to a number 1 /2 when future loss kicks in and just going for the shaved stubble look with more at the front than would have had as I won't be having lots and lots of surgeries (can only afford 2 I reckon total at a push...)

Also if I do become a very high Norwood (7? is that possible?) what would be better to get? or abandon whole idea in that case?

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated

DSC_0453.jpg.653a6ef5824e032c5bd9717a949d6044.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg.47e3408508d3f3f2e8b9724b7cf84410.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg.64d83058bf226a3872b54477ac7ef884.jpg

Are you taking any preventative medication? You should definitely be using minoxidil or finasteride as you can regain some dormant hair and prevent further hair loss; this is especially important since you're still young. You look like a Norwood 6 and the top of your donor area in the back is getting a bit thin as well. I wouldn't suggest FUE for you as I believe you will need a large treatment of about 3000 grafts or more, and very likely need a 2nd procedure to give you extra density and fullness and FUT will be the most efficient way of getting you the best results.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

... I wouldn't suggest FUE for you as I believe you will need a large treatment of about 3000 grafts or more, ...FUT will be the most efficient way of getting you the best results.

My wispy would-be locks curl up in horror and dismay as this old cliche gets wheeled out again. I couldn't disagree more. It is so sad that this, in 2011 still a common, I concede, notion of 'conventional wisdom'.

1) You need a large treatment? Consider a SLOW and STEADY approach with FUE

and KEEP the option to retreat from the world of HT meds as you age!

2) Never consider the word 'Efficiency' never, ever. It should not be in your vocabulary.

3) Do not believe that you will not notice a strip scar or care about it.

4) But do your research. Because while a lot of FUE is rapidly improving and yet, shadows and risks are everywhere.

5) By the way, your head isn't too bad with a short cut. Me thinks a buzz or shave in future is not out of the question. Saying that, you WILL look better with hair.

It all boils down to the caveat of FUE being good, of course. If you think it is bogus, tell us why and what you've learned, and then shave and forget.

Scar 5...obviously judging from your handle and also I've noticed some of your threads are very anti-strip...can you elaborate as to your personal story so that I can get a better understanding and perspective as to your opinions? Thanks!

Flows: It all depends on what you realistically want to achieve...if you are on a budget...FUE is pretty much double what FUT is give or take so please keep that in mind. If you only want a light coverage and will be happy with that and really don't want any scar, then go with FUE. If you want a fuller head of hair and at the best price, FUT would be a better solution for you (especially based on price). Note that FUT is approx. $3-$5 each vs. FUE approx. $7-10 a graft.

My wispy would-be locks curl up in horror and dismay as this old cliche gets wheeled out again. I couldn't disagree more. It is so sad that this, in 2011 still a common, I concede, notion of 'conventional wisdom'.

1) You need a large treatment? Consider a SLOW and STEADY approach with FUE

and KEEP the option to retreat from the world of HT meds as you age!

2) Never consider the word 'Efficiency' never, ever. It should not be in your vocabulary.

3) Do not believe that you will not notice a strip scar or care about it.

4) But do your research. Because while a lot of FUE is rapidly improving and yet, shadows and risks are everywhere.

5) By the way, your head isn't too bad with a short cut. Me thinks a buzz or shave in future is not out of the question. Saying that, you WILL look better with hair.

It all boils down to the caveat of FUE being good, of course. If you think it is bogus, tell us why and what you've learned, and then shave and forget.

I think that's a bit harsh. I know there is a lot of very colourful debate on FUE vs FUT but I think what thehairupthere said is largely good advice.

The slow and steady FUE approach is not necessarily the best way to do things. It's more expensive, it's very possibly more invasive in terms of the number of times your scalp and hair will be tampered with. It doesn't offer any more (or, admittedly, less) chance of good yield or acceptable results. Most people want to get their new hair as soon as possible because the idea of "slow and steady" doesn't really hold true. You can't really "build up" a good HT - we all know there isn't going to be enough hair to give us natural density (or even close really) so you can't go slow and steady - you're just going to want more hair and more hair!

I am a fan of FUE, but not at the expense of FUT. Yes the strip scar is a fact of life, yes you can't completely get rid of it. But we all know scarless FUE is not really a possibility either. I concede some FUE scars have been fantastic - but the word is SOME. Similarly, some FUT scars have been brilliant too.

As far as I can see if you wanted to go the FUE route on a case like this you'd have to have probably anywhere between 6 and a dozen sessions. You'd be wise to wait in between sessions to see the results of each session (or at least 4-6 months to let the procedure heal), so you're talking about about a long term project that could last anywhere from 3-6 years (and that's a commitment to that, too).

I do think FUE could get this guy what he wants, so I'm not in any way anti-FUE. But I do think that all things considered, the default approach is still FUT in the first instance, That's not to say FUE is a second choice, but you know what I mean.

FUE isn't by any means bogus, it's just another way of doing things with its own strengths and limitations. But for someone looking at probably 4000+ grafts being needed, it's not the obvious first choice I don't think.

I agree completely with Mahhong. FUT and FUE are both good procedures and there are a variety of reasons to choose either of them (or sometimes both over time). If I were in your shoes with the amount of hair loss you have, I would get FUT. Personally, I considered both carefully and decided for me that FUT was what I wanted to do to accomplish my goals and I am very satisfied with my decision. I have seen great results from both procedures. It is a personal choice. For your circumstance if you want a lot of coverage, FUE will be a long and expensive journey......and I am not saying that is bad, just something to consider. There are a lot of happy people with FUT results and in the hands of a skilled surgeon today, in the vast majority of cases, the scar will be almost undetectable. But, you won't be able to buzz your hair. You may well be able to cut it fairly short however.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Yeah Guys, I agree that my words come over like 'harsh'. It's just not easy to - no I should say, it's too easy - to slide into the diplomatic groove and not offend anyone.

I believe strip gets fast and solid results and for a young man, that's what you want. Even as an old man (48) I am impatient. Right now, I have entered the pigmentation world (with some hesitation) and already I am shocked, impatient and puzzled by it.

But I really don't believe a strip scar helps anyone who is losing their hair. In the long run, it's a sentence. I have brilliant strip scars as well as pretty bad ones. They are all equally a problem cosmetically under a three guard. When I started in 1988, I was educated along the lines of, 'both strip and scalp flap reduction are excellent procedures and both have their place. It depends on the individual's needs'. Now we know where that went.

FUE is still questionable. Strip is not. Go get yourself an ear-to-ear scar, take medications, look good for five years if you have enough coverage and then hope you don't want to quit meds. I won't deny the results of strip, but there is much to be said for the alternatives, including just shaving. The public is savvy these days and they know a strip scar when they see one.

But as for the cost, I don't think they are that different. $7 for FUE (or less), $5 for strip. Remember, no all-FUE surgeons are represented here and we get some pretty narrow views about FUE propagated.

I honestly feel that a young lad shouldn't get a strip scar, yet on the other hand, he will be over joyed with the results of a good strip in the short run.

Edited by scar5

Yeah Guys, I agree that my words come over like 'harsh'. It's just not easy to - no I should say, it's too easy - to slide into the diplomatic groove and not offend anyone.

I believe strip gets fast and solid results and for a young man, that's what you want. Even as an old man (48) I am impatient. Right now, I have entered the pigmentation world (with some hesitation) and already I am shocked, impatient and puzzled by it.

But I really don't believe a strip scar helps anyone who is losing their hair. In the long run, it's a sentence. I have brilliant strip scars as well as pretty bad ones. They are all equally a problem cosmetically under a three guard. When I started in 1988, I was educated along the lines of, 'both strip and scalp flap reduction are excellent procedures and both have their place. It depends on the individual's needs'. Now we know where that went.

FUE is still questionable. Strip is not. Go get yourself an ear-to-ear scar, take medications, look good for five years if you have enough coverage and then hope you don't want to quit meds. I won't deny the results of strip, but there is much to be said for the alternatives, including just shaving. The public is savvy these days and they know a strip scar when they see one.

But as for the cost, I don't think they are that different. $7 for FUE (or less), $5 for strip. Remember, no all-FUE surgeons are represented here and we get some pretty narrow views about FUE propagated.

I honestly feel that a young lad shouldn't get a strip scar, yet on the other hand, he will be over joyed with the results of a good strip in the short run.

Everybody who has done their research knows a strip scar is not "invisible", but it's fair to say with a good haircut that doesn't go too short at the back and sides, and a good doctor who produces a decent, thin scar, this isn't a problem. Not being able to buzz down is a limitation of HTs full stop really; if you want hair, you've got to be prepared for this sacrifice.

In addition I don't see how FUE is going to lessen any of the problems you mention above. You still have to take meds if you want to keep your native hair, you still have limited donor hair, you still need multiple surgeries if you have advanced balding or want seriously good density.

I think what you're getting it is the idea that if you continue to lose more hair after an FUE procedure you can still buzz down and get away with it. Granted the scars with FUE are much more diffuse and easier to hide, but there are still scars. You would still have spent a lot of money and time on a procedure(s) that ultimately didn't work for you.

In addition, the cost-per-graft scenario you mentioned above doesn't always pan out. The fact is if you add up what someone spends on getting lets say 6000 grafts via FUT and 6000 grafts via FUE, it's going to be a lot more than FUT. Even if it was the extra $2 a graft that's still $12,000 more. But it's not; it's the travel and accommodation for more procedures, it's the time off work, it's the smaller sessions yielding less discount. Whatever the benefits of FUE, the costs are undoubtedly quite a bit higher across the board.

I do see where you're coming from, but I don't think you can approach hair restoration that way. If you've got money-no-object and you're willing to go through the extra time, extra procedures, extra waiting then I would say FUE is easily as good an option as FUT with the right surgeon and will probably pan out to look a bit better from the point of view of the scars. But if you're seriously concerned your HT goals couldn't be met convincingly, with enough contingency for problems or disappointments, then you shouldn't get an HT.

In an ideal world there would be no consequences of attempting a HT. But there always will be, and you can't circumnavigate these problems by trying to slowly build up a head of hair with the least possible room for error. If you get three FUE procedures and suddenly want to stop taking meds, or buzz down, or abandon your hair restoration plans - you're still in a pickle. You still have scars, you still probably have thousands of dollars invested in a failed project. You might (might) be able to buzz down and think less of the scars, but you can't just go back to where you were prior to starting.

The HT journey is nearly always going to be an all or nothing ride, especially if you're looking at anything over a NW3. If you're lucky enough to be able to "patch up" a bit of loss then your strategy might work fine, but if you're clearly an NW6 you can't dip your toe in the water and then get out half way through. If you've planned correctly and chosen the right doctor, that strip scar should never be seen by the public.

That having been said, I do like FUE and do agree it probably gets treated a little cautiously around here. If the OP wants to go FUE and can afford to with the right doctor, I'd say jump at it. You should get similar results to FUT and you probably will have less obvious scarring and more options overall. But you'll have paid a lot more, gone through a lot more, and be waiting a lot longer, for the results you want. If that's a trade-off you're willing to make then FUE is as good or better than any other option - but as always you have to pay a price for the method you choose.

FUE or not, judging by the large amount of miniaturizing hair in your crown, I believe Finasteride would grow a lot of that back. THEN you can see where to go from there.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Personally, I would start taking a medication for a whole year, see if there are any results that would reduce the number of grafts needed, then have a procedure. If you are intent on FUE then do that first, followed by considering a BHT in a few years if you want more density, then another FUE some years later if more native hair is lost and you want more density.

Im no doctor, just my opinions on your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would caution against FUT for your particular case.

You're 30 years old and already a NW6. You are highly likely to lose much more hair and progress to a NW7.

Since you mentioned how you already wear your hair at #2, I assume you must feel quite comfortable with it that way. So if you take the FUT route then you will be relinquishing your fallback plan to go down to a #2 should the HT not work out or give you an acceptable result.

If you do FUE and end up loosing bunches more hair, at least you will be able to shave it back down to a #2 as is your custom. But even if you do the FUT, you'll still need at least two procedures and you'll be left with the scar. Most guys can get away with a #3 but not everyone.

In the even that you progressed to a NW7, which is highly likely, you would be forced to only be able to shave down to a #3 at best which would leave you will a clear horse shoe ring of hair around your head.

NW7s or potential NW7s are not good FUT candidates, IMO.

If I were in your shoes, I would start a strict regimen of Propecia and Rogain. If after one full year of religiously taking Propecia and applying Rogain twice daily you saw a clear and significant improvement or stabilization, with no side effects, then I would consider FUE... But unless the improvement was quite dramatic like with a few members that I have see, then I would not even consider FUT.

A NW7 is generally going to need at least 3 FUTs to get an acceptable result. You'll need more FUE procedures but from what I've heard, they're a walk in the park compared to FUT. Almost no down time and a recovery period last several hours with FUE, but several days with FUT...

... Not being able to buzz down is a limitation of HTs full stop really; if you want hair, you've got to be prepared for this sacrifice....In addition I don't see how FUE is going to lessen any of the problems you mention above...The HT journey is nearly always going to be an all or nothing ride,.

No, no, no - FUE leaves you a line of retreat. If you lose more hair and the HT illusion starts to get dicey, you CAN escape. You CAN buzz. It IS true. It is NOT a lie! Will you look good? Maybe no. Will you look like a freak? NO! And how much is that option worth to a guy in his 40s? Plenty. We simply have to disabuse ourselves of the rhetoric that gets fanned along by the reps and various well-meaning posters...

'Ah, essentially, they are both the same'

'Nothing's for free in life'

'You gotta make the sacrifice'

'It's all or nothing'

This is misleading and wrong. Mind you, there are plenty of examples of bad FUE scarring we can wheel out to scare us just as there are terrible strip scars for us to see. But the latter is put down to bad doctors, the former is put down to that terrible acronym, F - U - E.

Key point is that there is light and day contrast between the two. My donor is absolutely wrecked. Not a hair left on it I can use, from FUEs and strips. The FUE scarring represents no cosmetic dilemma for me. The strip scars, everything.

Scar5.....I understand your view and I think you make a lot of really good points. I like both procedures. It is good for people to understand the pros and cons of different approaches. But, where I just don't agree is that if someone chooses FUT with a skilled surgeon and good long term planning, they can and very likely will have very good long term results. There are a lot of examples of this. Is it a commitment? Absolutely it is. I also think it is not a great idea for someone in their 20s to use a ton of grafts to make a killer hairline that leaves them with insufficient donor for long term planning. Strip surgery works and is a good procedure with minimal scarring today. But you are right that you can't buzz your hair even with the best scar and people need to understand that going in to it. But, people who get strip surgery and are willing to limit themselves to haircuts that are short but not buzzed will be just fine in the 40's and beyond. Clearly you would not have gone that route if you had it to do all over again and I get that. But I don't think that warrants basically demonizing strip surgery.

No, no, no - FUE leaves you a line of retreat. If you lose more hair and the HT illusion starts to get dicey, you CAN escape. You CAN buzz. It IS true. It is NOT a lie! Will you look good? Maybe no. Will you look like a freak? NO! And how much is that option worth to a guy in his 40s? Plenty. We simply have to disabuse ourselves of the rhetoric that gets fanned along by the reps and various well-meaning posters...

'Ah, essentially, they are both the same'

'Nothing's for free in life'

'You gotta make the sacrifice'

'It's all or nothing'

This is misleading and wrong. Mind you, there are plenty of examples of bad FUE scarring we can wheel out to scare us just as there are terrible strip scars for us to see. But the latter is put down to bad doctors, the former is put down to that terrible acronym, F - U - E.

Key point is that there is light and day contrast between the two. My donor is absolutely wrecked. Not a hair left on it I can use, from FUEs and strips. The FUE scarring represents no cosmetic dilemma for me. The strip scars, everything.

That's fair enough - as someone who has had multiple HTs (I have not) I'm not really in a position to challenge the facts of your hair restoration journey or the opinions you've formed based on it, I just feel that whilst it's technically possible to "escape" from an FUE, that mindset is not a good one for even starting HTs in the first place.

Most cosmetic surgery is very difficult to retract, and impossible financially and in terms of time and effort. I think studious research and a frank, honest expectation, combined with finding and working with the best doctor you can, should mitigate most of the risk of wanting to be able to "go back" to how you were.

I mean, let's face it, you can't truly go back. The donor has still been compromised; the poor result is still on top of your head (albeit in shaved form). If it's gone badly enough wrong that you want to erase it then I feel something has gone awry down the line; either your expectations were too high, your doctor did not perform the surgeries you agreed on to a high enough standard, or you are in the unfortunate and overwhelmingly small number of cases of inexplicable poor yield.

I mean, in theory I do agree with you - your logic is sound. But you're basically likening hair restoration to a massive gamble that you want as much damage limitation recourse from as possible. I think if anybody is worried enough about a HT that they'll spend a few extra thousand dollars and a couple of extra years of time just to have the option to back out, then either a HT isn't for them or time and money isn't an issue. For most people, time and money is an issue and they want their goals met on budget and in a timeframe as accommodating as possible.

I would argue, perhaps wrongly, that these days the risks and rewards from a HT plan can be fairly well analysed and mapped out and the vast majority of men can make a very educated assessment of where they can expect their hair to be with the options available to them. Yes, there will always be cases of poor yield, bad work or unexplained poor results, but these are small risk if considered and acted upon properly. The top and bottom of it is that every HT is a life changing, checkpoint making moment in a person's life. You possibly shouldn't go through with it if the exit doors are too important to you.

And the top and bottom is that FUE does not automatically leave you a line of retreat. Under the knife of the best surgeons, and if you have favourable genetic characteristics, your scarring might be minimal to the point of unnoticeable even when buzzed. But equally I've seen men whose scalps are clearly pockmarked with little scars even after a successful procedure; who can barely shave down further than an FUT patient. The truth with FUE is not black and white. As alway's, it's about the individual case.

Ultimately, if this guy goes FUE, which I am not necessarily saying he shouldn't, his wallet is considerably emptier and the time it takes to achieve a decent result (in this case I would imagine over 4 or 5 procedures) could be half a decade or more. I'm not sure if I'd consider those extra burdens worthwhile just for the opportunity to be able to forget about the whole thing anyway. If your HT is going to look bad come 40 or 50, don't get it done - via FUT or FUE.

This guy is heading towards a NW7. Make sure you are making a good decision here. What doc are you booked with? You definitely should get on meds ASAP to save the upper portion of your crown.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks all for advice and comments, really appreciated and some interesting debate...

To be honest I didn't realise I was so set to become a NW 7 - is this an absolute inevitability??? - if so strip definitely won't be the way to go because I would want to buzz down and probably don't have the financial clout to keep chasing the hair loss (work for a charity!)

Maybe the advice saying wait until after meds (hadn't tried finasteride due to fear of side effects) is best -I've been basically trying to hurry it in between work contract but I suppose it's something that shouldn't be hurried..

Would it not be an idea just to get some FUE to maintain some of the hairline / crown which would still look better than nothing when the rest starts to be lost or not at all?

Thanks all for advice and comments, really appreciated and some interesting debate...

To be honest I didn't realise I was so set to become a NW 7 - is this an absolute inevitability??? - if so strip definitely won't be the way to go because I would want to buzz down and probably don't have the financial clout to keep chasing the hair loss (work for a charity!)

Maybe the advice saying wait until after meds (hadn't tried finasteride due to fear of side effects) is best -I've been basically trying to hurry it in between work contract but I suppose it's something that shouldn't be hurried..

Would it not be an idea just to get some FUE to maintain some of the hairline / crown which would still look better than nothing when the rest starts to be lost or not at all?

It's not inevitable you'll be an NW7. The general rule of thumb is that if you lose your hair severely when you're younger there's a higher likelihood it will keep advancing further in your 30s, 40s and 50s. But genetics are genetics; you may find your balding stabilises over the next few years and you are an NW6, or you may find it continues at a strong pace. Unfortunately, nobody can truly tell you what will happen.

You can look at your family history for some indication, but this isn't a sure-fire way to know what's going to happen. But if you look at your father, your grandfathers, and if possible your great-grandfathers you might be able to get a sense of what's going to happen to you. If they're all NW7s then that might help to see where you're going! If they're less severe cases though, ask them when they went bald etc. (if you're comfortable). You might be able to get some sense of what might be in your future - but nothing is absolutely guaranteed.

The other practical thing you can do is find a doctor who will 'map' your hair for miniaturization. That basically means they'll look all over your scalp (back and sides) for evidence that your hair is thinning in different areas. Again, it won't be an absolute answer, but it can pick up where thinning is happening in hair that looks, on the surface, thick and full, so it gives a stronger indication of what might be happening behind the scenes, so to speak. You might find you have lots of invisible miniaturization, which would strongly suggest a severe NW6/NW7. Or you might find no further evidence; which doesn't guarantee anything, but does offer some suggestions.

If you're not on the meds it's worth talking to a doctor with a view to starting them. Finasteride side effects are pretty rare and usually not an issue - but of course it's a decision you have to make. It'd certainly stabilise your thinning and you may get a fair bit of regrowth. Minoxidil is another option - generally speaking it's not as effective but some people do report great results on it all the same. Or you can use both to maximise your chances of stabilising hair and getting some regrowth - they work synergistically together to be more than the sum of their individual parts.

You could in theory get some FUE to get a bit of coverage in your hairline/crown but you have to be really careful here. As you probably know you will never have as much donor hair as you need to properly cover all the balding areas on your head. A skilled surgeon can artistically use your donor hair to make it look as good as possible - but in your situation, even if you don't bald further, you will be looking at needing a lot of grafts to make a real positive impact on your hair. I would say you'd probably be wanting at least 3-5000 grafts to make a real cosmetic impact, but in reality you could put 8,000 grafts up there and still want more (if you have that number of grafts available anyway!). If you get an FUE session of maybe 1-2000 grafts done, the honest truth is that it won't make a huge impact on your hair - especially if you spread that out over the whole balding area. And if you just concentrate on the hairline you could end up with a tuft of hair at the hairline and then virtually nothing over the rest of the scalp - a situation that would not look good!

I think it's worth talking to your doctor again and really coming up with a realistic plan around what you want to achieve, what you can afford and what can be done. Medication is a real important consideration because without it you'll almost definitely continue to lose more hair and, whilst you may not progress to a full blown NW7, it's already clear you're going to have quite a large balding area to cover. That's going to require a serious commitment of donor grafts to make any cosmetic impact on - and then you need to consider what might happen if you continue to bald in the future. All in all, I would recommend you think about getting on medication and waiting at least a year to get a procedure. If you really don't want to take the medication then I would recommend thinking hard about the HT route; you will need to commit a lot of your donor supply towards making your hair even halfway decent, and you'd need to consider future balding too.

Either way I think getting some feedback on your hairloss from other doctors might be a good idea. They'll have a much better idea of what can be achieved and how realistic your goals might be. But if you get a procedure done, really it's either going to need to be a pretty big procedure or nothing at all, I think. You're not going to be able to patch in hairloss as widespread as yours a thousand or so grafts at a time, unless you're willing to play a long waiting game for decent results. Whatever you choose to do, though, best of luck! There are options and if you carry on researching and discussing your hopes and concerns with people on here and professionals, I'm sure a suitable plan can be developed for you!

Mahhong has given you great advice. Meds are the best place for you to start. After using them for a year you can decide what to do after that. I would recommend taking periodic photos over the course of your year on meds so you can accurately see the impact. Then, if you want to pursue a HT you need to talk to a few top surgeons and understand what would be involved to accomplish a realistic goal. It is great to get advice here as there are a lot of really knowledgeable people on the forum. Keep in mind however that we are not the experts......the doctors are. So use what you learn here to have informed discussions with some top surgeons and you will have everything you need to make an informed decision for yourself.

I think it's wrong to say that NW7 necessarily is the end stage for this guy. There's nothing in his pictures that indicates this. A lot of people only become NW6, albeit starting to lose hair at an early age. To know at which stage you'll likely end up, you should have a miniaturization mapping done. Also take a look at relatives, to see where they ended up.

I don't know... I think if you look at the bottom fringe of his crown you see some miniaturization that almost goes down to top his ears. He's only 30. If he goes on Fin he could strengthen that region and maybe get some of his crown back - and maybe even help that frontal tuft he's hanging onto. But if he doesn't, I think it's pretty likely that NW7 is in his cards.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

[quote=flows;2280938

But FUE obviously would give me the option of going to a number 1 /2 when future loss kicks in and just going for the shaved stubble look with more at the front than would have had as I won't be having lots and lots of surgeries (can only afford 2 I reckon total at a push...)

Flows,

As you my have noticed, if you ever want to get a good debate going, just mention fue vs fut and it will take on a life of its own. I'm just wondering who your doc is and if he offers fue. IMO there are more good strip docs than there are good fue docs. If you go that route just be extra careful in your selection.

Edited by Levrais
typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I don't know... I think if you look at the bottom fringe of his crown you see some miniaturization that almost goes down to top his ears. He's only 30. If he goes on Fin he could strengthen that region and maybe get some of his crown back - and maybe even help that frontal tuft he's hanging onto. But if he doesn't, I think it's pretty likely that NW7 is in his cards.

Yes, his crown extends quite a bit downwards, but not necessarliy to low to conform to the NW6 pattern. An NW7 also loses hair on the top of the sides, and it's hard to say anything about that from the pictures. It's possible that he'll become an NW7, but what I'm saying is just that he shouldn't automatically assume that he'll become an NW7 and make decisions according to that. Instead he should do a miniaturization test before making any decions. I definately agree that he sould start Fin though, as it's important to hang on to the hair that is left either way

Edited by Danny1976