Should Corvettester Start Nizoral or Revita?

Gentlemen,

In an effort to create a viable hair restoration regimen for myself, I'm considering starting on 1% Nizoral or Revita Shampoo, once/twice weekly.

I've already used the search function here on the HTN, but I'd like to get the rest of the community's advice, thoughts or any opinions on the matter since a lot of you guys know my situation already.

However, I'm still uncertain as to what to expect from it. I understand that it is designed to be a dandruff shampoo, but hair loss sufferers use it "off-lable." Is this to prevent further loss such as Propecia, or to regrow / reactivate hair such as Rogain?

Should I go with the 1% or 2% version?

Should I use it more than once a week?

Should I expect any shedding? If so, how much?

What sort of result should I expect? Will it be noticeable?

Which is better, Nizoral or Revita?

The way I see it, I've already spent so much money on HTs that it would be foolish not to employ other practical treatment options to preserve and improve my remaining hair. So to that end, I've already been shelling out dough for high-end shampoo and conditioners, styling products and going to upscale hair salons.

Currently, I'm taking daily Biotin 6,000mcg, Hair, Skin & Fingernail Multivitamin, and a Vitamin C Megadose. I decided against Saw Palmetto due to the dearth of evidence suggesting that it actually works, as well as the recommendations of the community. I use Skin Science Shampoo (developed by Dr. Dorin), Bumble & Bumble and Oribe.

I'm also considering medication such as Propecia and Rogain as well, but I will address that later in another thread. For now it's Nizoral or Revita.

Again, I'd really appreciate any information, even if it isn't from first-hand experience.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Nizoral 1% is pretty reliable for me when my scalp starts to feel itchy. So I use it about once a week. I really doubt it does anything for hair loss.

I would only expect shedding if you use it every other day or so.

I have no experience with Revita, so I can't help you there. Sorry!

But again I will preach to you Corv to get on Propecia. I'll freakin' fly to NY and slip it in your drink every morning! I think that will do much better for you than Rogaine.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Corv,

I read a post that makes sense about whether Nozoral or Revita is better. Basically it was saying that Nizoral 2% is the best, however it requires a prescription. As between Revita and Nizoral 1%, the Revita is better because it has the not only the same main ingredient same as Nizoral but it also has a concoction of other good stuff like biotin etc. I also read a few posts from people that they haven't been able to find either one on the shelves a few months ago. I've actually been looking the last couple days and sure enough haven't seen either one. I've been using Nizoral twice a week or so as more than that dries out my hair.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

The way I see it, I've already spent so much money on HTs that it would be foolish not to employ other practical treatment options to preserve and improve my remaining hair. So to that end, I've already been shelling out dough for high-end shampoo and conditioners, styling products and going to upscale hair salons.

That's the right attitude to overcome this genetic weakness. It's called making the most of what we got.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Levrais & Aaron,

So what is the purpose of Nizoral then? I read that it had DHT blockers so in theory it prevented hair loss. Not to mention all the talk of the "Big 3" that I hear coming from posters...

Corvettester

I personally don't believe that Nizoral prevents hair loss. I think it's a nice shampoo but I don't see how washing your hair with anything once or twice a week can help fight DHT. I don't consider it as an equal with finasteride or Rogaine.

I strongly believe that patients that say that NIzoral or any other dandruff shampoo causes hair to regrow or to not fall out further is saying so because they had dandruff, whether they realized it or not. Dandruff causes hair loss simply because as the skin flakes off it takes hair follicles with it. Because the shedding is persistent any hair that grows back, or tries to, is taken out with a flake yet again before it reaches a noticeable length.

I had a bad case of dandruff a few years ago and my hair thinned out. So much so that it worried me to death. Once I found a shampoo that actually worked for dandruff (Nizoral and the other better known names didn't work) my hair loss stopped, my hair thickened and all has been right with the world since.

In short, unless you have any sort of dandruff, don't waste your money.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Gentlemen,

Should I go with the 1% or 2% version?

Should I use it more than once a week?

Should I expect any shedding? If so, how much?

What sort of result should I expect? Will it be noticeable?

Which is better, Nizoral or Revita?

Corv,

I have used both shampoos you mentioned, Revita and Nizoral.

Nizoral has helped me more when I did use it as it reduces oily skin, sebum, acne on my scalp (inflammation). For me it was a good shampoo to use because I sometimes have oily skin, and excessive oils tend to make hair look thinner as it weighs the hair down on the scalp. As for Revita, it did help, but it kind of gave me a very mild soft oily hair feeling and shiny forehead. Revita does have a nice smell to it, better than nizoral IMO. But that doesn't mean Nizoral smells bad, it is decent like other shampoos.

I feel Nizoral is more effective as a treatment then Revita. I used the 2% Monday Wednesday Friday. Right now I am off both these shampoos as I just got a transplant and these shampoos may be too strong for me to use right about now. I'd wait another month to consider them again, in the mean time I am sticking to baby shampoo.

I did notice a very very minimal shed when I first used Nizoral, but it did recover really quick. I have seen people mention the shed to be mild if anything when initially using Nizoral, but hair does recover. Most people do not have or see a shed at all.

I felt that my hair got a little stronger using the shampoo. I wouldn't say I saw new hair growth from it. The hair looked stronger too in texture. This is before I used propecia. When I incorporated propecia, hairs started appearing and miniturized hairs seemed a lot stronger too. When I go back to using the shampoo, i'll report my findings with the transplant. I just started Rogaine 3 days ago as well, today being my third day. I will clear it with the doctor when i can return to using Nizoral and regular shampoos and then report back the response with transplant.

But I feel, if you haven't used it before, take it slow. Try it one day a week, and then build it up to 2 or 3 days a week. To see if you are able to handle it and if it suits your skin. Nizoral is the real deal, while Revita which also includes ketocanazole but is mixed with other things such as emu oil and etc. If you have somewhat of oily skin, even the slightest, stick to Nizoral alone, rather then Revita. If you want, you can mix and match the shampoos too to test it yourself. Revita does make your hair feel soft.

Once I found a shampoo that actually worked for dandruff (Nizoral and the other better known names didn't work) my hair loss stopped, my hair thickened and all has been right with the world since.

Just curious Joe, what shampoo did the trick for your dandruff problem?

I do recall reading some posters who have said Nizoral does cause a shed. I think Falc may have been one such poster, but I could be mistaken. I personally have avoided the big three for various reasons, the potential for a shed being one of them....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Corv,

I actually have been using Revivogen Bio Cleansing Shampoo...I used to use Revivogen for hairloss and also used their shampoo...I thought Revivogen actually was helping my hair but then I got lazy and stopped but kept using their shampoo. It cleanses the scalp and removes Sebum and impurities from the scalp. I can't say whether a shampoo can truly help hair loss but I must say this shampoo is really good in that your scalp feels very clean as you leave it on for a few minutes and your scalp tingles! I've never tried Nizoral.

I think that Nizoral 2 % is the best of those shampoos. Especially if you already take a Biotin pill. Thats one of the ingredients in Revitas shampoo. I think that Nizoral can do some but not much alone unless you have dandruff. I think that when u use Minoxidil that its vital to use one of the shampoos as it helps keeping your scalp healthy much more than a regular shampoo.

I am interested in hearing how bald the men and woman in your family are ?

1 mg Finasterid M-W-F.

2,500 mcg Biotin.

1 mg 5 % Minoxidil once a day.

Multi-vitamin.

Fish oil.

Head and Shoulders every day.

Nizoral 2 % one time a week.

Emu oil.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/cardel25/blog/403/

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Joetronic, I'd be interested to hear any of your recommendations for shampoos. What has worked for you?

To answer some of your questions...

No, I don't have an oily scalp, hair or inflammation, nor do I have dandruff. My hair feels pretty strong as it is now, especially in the midsection and crown. The frontal third is where it's thinnest. And I really do feel like there is a difference since I started the Biotin megadose.

Cardel25 asked about my family history...

As far as my family history goes, my paternal grandfather was a NW7 by his mid twenties. However, he is the only one in the family like that.

My father has only recently lost hair, his crown, but his frontal third has definitely receded. I feel like this is pretty standard considering that he is 65 years old. It's the same with my paternal uncles. Growing up they all had hair, but now that they're all in their sixties, they're starting to lose it.

The maternal side of the family is completely different. My maternal grandfather had a full head of hair until his death. Same goes with all my maternal uncles too.

So far, I haven't heard a very compelling argument for Nizoral or Revita, at least not for my personal situation. I'll wait to hear back from more posters, but as of now, I think I'm going to pass on it, just as I chose to do with Saw Palmetto.

So as it stands now, I'm just taking Biotin 6,000mcg, a Multivitamin and a Vitamin C Megadose. I don't find taking the vitamins to be a big deal at all. It's just part of my routine. I take them after meals, it's no big deal really.

I'm going in for a follow up next month with Dr. Dorin where I will take more photos of my crown and midsection. We've been monitoring it for the past year now. Then I will discuss whether or not to start on Rogain and / or Propecia. I'll be sure to get the community's opinion on the matter too.

Thanks again everyone.

Corvettester

Corvettester,

The shampoo I used was Polytar AF which is the extra strength version of Polytar. I'm having a hard time finding either of them at this time and I fear they have been discontinued. Since I haven't found any more lately I've been using Head & Shoulders extra strength a few times a week. I believe that since the dandruff has been under control for the past few years that the H&S will keep things at par.

I think staying away from the shampoo myth is as it only serves to empty your wallet faster and adds more stress to your daily routine (I forgot to do this, or I forgot to do that). I do however recommend that you seriously reconsider finasteride. You've already had roughly 3000 grafts in your hairline. I don't know what you think of the procedure and the recovery, etc. but no amount of donor hair can give you the look that you have now (density, fullness) so it would be wise to hang on to what you have and not have the "I've got enough donor hair for the future" mentality. If you lose what you have now on top and in the back you'll NEVER return to the same look you have currently.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joetronic,

Thanks for calling it like it is. I appreciate your candor.

I will be discussing Propecia and Rogain with Dr. Dorin next month. I'll be sure to get the community's opinion as well in a new thread. I want to do this right.

Corvettester

I strongly believe that patients that say that NIzoral or any other dandruff shampoo causes hair to regrow or to not fall out further is saying so because they had dandruff, whether they realized it or not. Dandruff causes hair loss simply because as the skin flakes off it takes hair follicles with it. Because the shedding is persistent any hair that grows back, or tries to, is taken out with a flake yet again before it reaches a noticeable length.

I had a bad case of dandruff a few years ago and my hair thinned out. So much so that it worried me to death. Once I found a shampoo that actually worked for dandruff (Nizoral and the other better known names didn't work) my hair loss stopped, my hair thickened and all has been right with the world since.

In short, unless you have any sort of dandruff, don't waste your money.

This is an interesting experience. Personally I've always thought that Nizoral didn't deserve to be thought of as belonging alongside Finasteride and Minoxidil as part of the 'Big Three'. Some might have success with it (perhaps for the dandruff-fighting effects you describe) but it's clearly not as important as those other two treatments.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Matt,

Thanks for your input. It makes sense.

I guess this just about seals the deal for me. Truth be told, good riddance! I'm glad I don't need it. I don't look forward to complicating my life any more with more products... you should see my bathroom already! Not to mention, some of the potential side effects that I have read about...

Otherwise, without further ado, if there be anyone present who may show just and lawful cause why Nizoral should be incorporated into my daily routine, let him speak now or forever hold his peace.

Corvettester

I did use that poly tar shampoo someone mentioned prior to Nizoral, I felt that shampoo caused an itch and the skin was sensitive to the sun while using it. That's why I switched to Nizoral. Nizoral I was able to handle. Coal and Polytar shampoos are really good for psoriasis and other serious scalp conditions. Similar tar shampoo is Neutrogena T-Gel.

Like I said, Nizoral had a strengthening impact on my hairs. I wouldn't say it regrew any nor did I lose any. I did have a very very very minor shed but hair grew back it seems in those area stronger and thicker and no hairs fell after my body adjusted to it. This is when I did not use propecia nor when I used Rogaine or any other supplement. It was just when I experimented with Nizoral ALONE. But I didn't really have dandruff, i had somewhat of an oily scalp. It helped control that, I don't know if that was a factor as it kept my scalp dry.

IMO, if you got thick strong hair right now, I wouldn't even use it. Like they say, don't try to fix what isn't broken. Just use your normal shampoos. At this time, there isn't anything known to grow back hairs or to strengthen them to a higher degree, other then Finasteride or Rogaine. Everything else is subjective to a person's own physiology.

It may work for you it may not. Just like supplements. Biotin is workin for you, but it may not for someone else. Saw palmetto works for some, but it may not for you. You know the list can keep going. But I have read that skin tone can play a big role on how these products work as well. Rogaine may work for you better due to your skin tone, and at 5%, while other people may need higher percentages.

good luck