Traveling for a HT inquiry! PLEASE HELP!

Capelli11

All,

I have to travel for my upcoming surgery and getting stressed out trying to decide whether I should drive or fly there/home. Car ride is about 7-9 hours away...flight is about 2 hrs. I would like everyone who traveled to their HT to give me an idea of what to expect afterwards in regards to the fact that would someone who had an HT be technically able to drive home 7-9 hours the next day? If not, what is the reasonable expected time to be able to do such a long drive? I would imagine the longer you wait the worse it is in case swelling occurs? I am trying to avoid having to go the airport with a hat on and looking weird and dealing with all of that...I figure driving would avert that but then provide its own complications as noted above. Please advise!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Also suture removal (not staples)...ideally I would like to have the dr take them out but if not, how does this work...u go to your normal doctor to have them removed? I am nervous to go to my normal doctor for this as I would be worried he could mess it up being he didn't perform the surgery...please also advise as to your experiences with this...thanks!

Capelli,

Difficult one to call.... pros and cons for each.

I flew back from the US and then had to face a domestic flight in the UK from Heathrow. It was very uncomfortable but in fairness the length of flight was probably a huge factor.

If you have no connecting flight I would be tempted to fly.

I arrived in Heathow pretty much at the same time of as a couple of flights from the middle east. Customs were extra tight and the process was very very intrusive and unpleasant. Far worse than customs at JFK which was relatively straight forward and painless.

If you are worried about looking stupid with your cap on, you will get the odd few looks. I don't think this has anything to do with the cap, probably the fact that you will look like you have gone 10 rounds with Tyson. Serious..... When I looked in the mirror when I eventually got back in the house I looked like a different person. My face was puffed up and I looked like I hadn't slept for a week. There again, it was a long journey and many others didn't exactly look fit for a photo shoot.

Plus, at Heathrow I was asked to take my hat off and I refused unless it was done in private due to telling them I had just had 'head surgery'. On each occasion they waved me through. I noticed that many people with religious dress were waved through or requesting private areas so I figured that I wanted to be afforded the same dignity, why shouldn't I? They will probably just wave you through as they can't be bothered with the hassle.

Take advice from your Doc first and foremost though mate.

Jessie

Driving was not an option for me. I went back to the clinic the morning after surgery, had my hair washed and they checked everything out. I then headed to the airport and flew home. It was easy. The advantage of flying the day after surgery is that you can take your pain meds if you need them. Definitely get a travel pillow that goes around your neck. It helps for travel and sleeping the first few nights.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I was mangled for 3 days after as I decided not to use any pain killers and felt like I'd been hit by a truck I did not sleep at all for 4 days so If you use pain killers i would stay over for at least a night and get a plane home. Driving is defo not a option.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I am getting surgery later this week and I hope to use the same routine at LAX as I used before: I've learned they ask me to take off my cap regardless, and I really don't want to be standing in that crowded line and take off my hat, so I'm wearing a bandanna. Last time the TSA guy asked me to remove it, and I told him "I just had surgery but you can feel up here gently if you want" and he very quickly (and gently) put his hand on my bandanna and waved me through.

I hope that approach works again this time, thats the plan. Some airports don't ask you to remove your hat, but LAX has always asked me to remove it.

The sutures can be taken out by anyone, an outpatient clinic, even a friend. It's no big deal.

Edited by wylie

Bandana was my favourite weapon of choice I took 4 different styles including baseball cap but bandana made life very easy. It was more of a black surgical hat with a tie string at the back but it looked a lot like a bandana on.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

wouldn't a baseball cap hurt because it touches the scar area around the sides and in the back?

For both of my procedures with Dr. Paul I drove from Chicago to SMG and back the day after the procedure. It's about a 7 hour drive. Not a big deal really. 9 hours might be tougher but I prefer just to stay away from other human beings for awhile after this procedure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I am really up in the air about this...I am thinking I might fly up for the surgery and then rent a car and drive back...like you said I just want to be away from people for a while. I am going to stay at Dr. Rahal's Guesthouse (Foxbar) for a few days after the procedure...was it tough driving home? Weren't you on pain meds though?

I was on pain meds but it didn't affect my driving. The drive was just fine even though it was long. Maybe you could stop at a hotel one the way back to break the drive up in half.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

In regards to expenses...it seems to be equal in regards to renting a car vs. flying...the flight would be about 2-3 hours which isn't bad considering a 9ish hour drive...might just be easier to get on a plane and just relax for a few hours...trying to save some money but again the prices seem to come out to be the same give or take.

If you wear a loose baseball cap it does not hurt. Your Dr. will show you how to put it on and take it off so it doesn't disturb the new grafts for the first few days.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone consider wearing the surgical cap during flight/airport? I am going to have the same dilemma.

I'm not concerned about how it will look, but I would not want to go unprotected, as I'd want my recipient area blocked from the environment/someone running into me, etc.

Does the clinic give you a hat or something to wear (cap like) afterwards?

I brought my own at the recommendation of the clinic. They showed me how to put it on and take off properly without messing up the grafts. It was really easy and worked well.

Hi Capelli,

I just saw this thread . I would do the bandana thing for sure as Bonker said. More or less the LA gangster look, lol. I know a lot of people wear a baseball cap, but I couldn't find one that felt right. Have you decided about flying vs driving yet?

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 2 weeks later...

Dr Rahal gives a few surgical hats but i preferred to wear my own bandana just because it looked a bit better than those caps.

I was also a 9 hour drive from home but had the option to take the train which I did. I was glad I did because I was a bit drowsy due to taking the pain meds and did not really feel up for the long drive. However, I notice that you are staying put at the Foxbar for a few days whereas I took off the next day. So your situation is a bit different. Your swelling would probably go away in a few days and you would be down to regular Tylenol or Advil which makes you less drowsy than the Tylenol 3. So if you dont mind a long drive and want to stay out of sight then probably drive, otherwise fly.