How to DIFFERENTIATE bewteen Top 3 HT Surgeons

bobo

Dear All,

First of all thanks to Site Managers and ALL the Contributors for helping educate and guide the rest of us though what has been a maze. Its taken me 5 years and a recent jolt to take the leap and go for a HT.

I have read a lot of posts and seen a lot of pictures and have to admit that i'm still somewhat undecided on who to go with. While choosing the right surgeon is no exact science, i'm left looking for more direction on who to go with. Can anyone shed some more light on who their top 3 surgeons are in order of preference and why?

I'm leaning towards Dr hasson based on what i've seen and read, but Dr Ron Shapiro also seems to get good results, and Dr Rahal also gets a lot of praise. Its just been difficult to compare with any meaningful difference these 3 or other surgeons, maybe its just me.

I'm a Norwood 5, dark hair, good laxity, still have my hairline, however thin, above average hair coarseness and am looking for the most natural hairline and the most extraction and density, which i guess is what we all look for.

Any help is appreciated, especially some differentiation, beyond "all are good surgeons" would be very appreciated.

many thanks in advance

bobo

You are mentioning the name of the best Strip surgeons in the world. They are the top 3 in my opinion... I would say 1) Rahal, 2) Ron Shapiro, 3) Hasson.... You can try to search about them in ither forums and view their results one by one if you had the time. Or you can throw out a poll and see who has more votes.

That was my poll last year.. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159225-hair-transplant-doctor-your-top-pick.html

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

The three surgeons you have mentioned are all top notch elite surgeons. You can and will get a lot of opinions about which one of these are the "best", but really I don't think anyone can truly make that distinction. I chose Dr. Ron Shapiro and could make my case for you, but once you narrow it down to these three it is really ultimately who you are most comfortable with. They are all highly skilled and consistently produce outstanding results. If you have any questions about my experience with SMG, let me know. Good luck with your decision.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Its just been difficult to compare with any meaningful difference these 3 or other surgeons, maybe its just me.

When you have done enough research you will be able to tell which one of the Surgeons you mentioned have produced the result just by looking at the pictures.

If you look at all the forums you will notice people who just post pics and don't name the Surgeon until later on. And if the Surgeon is one of the best like the ones you mention, I get it right fairly often...

bobo welcome to the forum. Congrads on researching and choosing three top doctors to base your final decision on. I am not going to tell you which doctor to choose because at the end its not a popularity contest, its what decision you feel most comfortable with. Therefore I feel unscientific polls are useless in my opinion. Of course people are going to tell you their doctor is the best that is normal.

There is a number of posters that have seen one of the three doctors so I am sure they will give you their opinions. I would look for the best quality pictures and video. This gives you the most honest assessment of before and afters.

Regardless you have chosen three great doctors and at the end will end up with a good results. If you have any question feel free to send me a message on this post or on private message.

Good luck!!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

How did your consultations go with the above mentioned doctors?

I believe that this will help you decide. When you consult with a clinic, you will see just how much time and effort they put towards you.

Will the doctor even speak to you, or will you only talk to sales reps? Do they rush you? Do they pressure you? Do they listen to you? Are they prompt and professional in coresspondences?

Lorenzo is right, it's not a popularity contest. But if a doctor isn't willing to give you the time of day and assurances you need pre-op, then just imagine how you will be treated post-op when things can get a little worrisome.

Well stated Lorenzo....that is the point I was trying to make here also. I hate the polls and I hate it when people say this surgeon or that one is "the best" when the choice is among top doctors. At that point they are all great and the choice becomes a comfort level between the person and the clinic.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

When you are dealing with different clinics that are as great as Rahal, H&W, Shapiro are, you are basically looking more at a difference in philosophy than results - because let's face it, they all get results. It's just the matter on how you want to go about addressing your hair loss. It's up to you to find out which philosophy you agree with most.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Bobo,

I was in a similar situation to you when I was making my final decision...

One of the major reasons that I chose to go with T&D for my procedure was because of the outstanding consultation. I consulted with several doctors, but none went as well as T&D.

At one clinic, for example, I wasn't allowed to meet the doctor! I only was allowed to talk with the reps... wtf? Another one sent me spam, another one sent me scripted material that made it seem like I was talking to a computer... you get my point.

However, both Dr. True and Dr. Dorin consulted with me twice each, didn't attempt to rush or pressure me and remained very patient and welcoming. I also liaised with their patient reps, Peter and Eyal, who were very helpful and understanding.

So I ended up simply feeling very comfortable, confident and trusting of them because of the high standard of care from the very beginning. As expected, they have continued to provide me with the same high level of care throughout my hair restoration journey.

Knowing that your final three choices are among the best of the best, I think you should go with the ones that you feel most comfortable with, that understand you best, that listen to you and work with you. They have already won your mind with their results and reputations, now they have to win your heart with their patient care and customer service.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Bobo, your question is "How to differentiate". I will try to answer it. Well, you got three great choices to select from.

So, how can you break it down?

1) Get consultations from each of them, see how many grafts you need, placement strategy, will they cater to your goals, etc etc

2) Get price quotes from each one of them

3) Analyze cases that have dealt with similar hair loss as yours from each of them

How to decide?

Since they are all great surgeons, these things may help break it down even further and may be considered as important factors to use as filters.

1) who gives the best price

2) convenience

3) patient care

4) customer service

5) if you are getting strip or fue, and who has the best scar tissue rate, less is better.

6) how many positive vs negative reviews

7) who has the best hair lines, analyze everything in deep detail

6) any other variables you feel may help in your selection.........

I personally will not recommend nor tell you who to pick as that is your own choice. I went with Dr. Rahal but do not have a full grown result yet to show you. So, I don't have credibility yet to refer anyone based on my own results yet. I only have seen his work and results that swayed me to go to him and you can see what else from my own write up on the forums. Price was also a major factor for me. It's a tough choice to make, but I think with enough research, you will make one you are really happy with. I just had my surgery August 31st, so, if you get a chance, check out my pics. I am trying to get as many comments, and for the most part, a lot of people liked my hairline design. Other then that, all I can say to is Good Luck on your research, selection, and future transplant with whomever you choose.

First of all, many thanks to you all for your feedback, its been very useful.

Who, in your opinion has the edge and most experience performing 4000-5000 graft HTs (in one sitting) and providing the most density/fullest look for a Norwood 4/5?

thanks again, bobo

Who, in your opinion has the edge and most experience performing 4000-5000 graft HTs (in one sitting) and providing the most density/fullest look for a Norwood 4/5?

I dont want to answer that because it will appear that I am biast. Its easy to figure that out if you research this forum.

Good luck on your search.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Lorenzo, i appreciate your perspective and the fact that each person will have their own bias, although i am interested in hearing everyone's personal views and taking them for what they are in order to complement my research, thanks again, bobo

Since you asked for an opinion in who has the edge & experience, and as an added bonus (good price), IMHO it is Dr. Rahal. That's why I chose him after lots of research. Was very hard to select from the list I had of the choices of surgeons, but the hairline and density in his results swayed me his way and sealed the deal. You can see them on his website or on these forums. He just did a case with higher norwood with over 7,000 grafts. I think the hair count in that case is maybe some sort of record, it consisted of over 15,000 hairs. I never heard of that before regarding hair counts. That was in just ONE sitting/ONE session. So, density, fullness, hairlines, etc are consistent in almost every Rahal result. I think he has some great results on Norwood 4 & 5's. If you notice, some other clinics it may take 2 sessions to reach such a successful feat. He can achieve what you are looking for in probably ONE sitting. Good Luck.

Hairline design on my own scalp by Dr. Rahal: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162401-my-fue-dr-rahal-3000-grafts-large-procedure.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161570-dr-rahal-patient-video-stellars-6228-graft-transformation.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161303-dr-rahal-patient-6228-grafts-fut.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162150-dr-rahal-patient-3693-grafts-7-months.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160789-my-11-month-dr-rahal.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162675-7-260-fut-grafts-eternal-gratitude-dr-rahal-his-staff.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160548-5000-grafts-dr-rahal-pics.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161967-my-5604-grafts-hair-transplant-dr-rahal-day-18-update.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162179-my-5604-graft-surgery-dr-rahal-one-month-update.html

http://www.rahalhairtransplant.com/meet-our-patients/before-after-photos/

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/blogs_by_doctor.asp?DrID=376

There's a lot more, but that's a start.

Edited by Sean

Understood Bobo. H&W have the most experience 4000-5000 graft sessions in one seating. This is not saying that other doctors are not capable of it only that they have the most experience. Years ago when H&W were regularly performing bigger session many doctors could believe it and said its not possible. They said that the growth would be alot less and the result wouldnt be good. After they continued to show great results IRHRS decided to have the annual meeting in Vancouver in 2004. During the meeting H&W showcased over 20 patients with excellent reviews. Doctors still fly to Vancouver to see how H&W perform such high quality large sessions. In fact I know Dr. Shapiro was there a few years ago, why I dont know.

These links may help

http://www.hassonandwong.com/patient_gallery/hair-transplant-stories.php?page=3#hair-transplant-blogs

http://www.hassonandwong.com/patient_gallery/hair-transplant-gallery-general.php

http://www.hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-video-grid.php

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/blogs_by_doctor.asp?DrID=9

Too bad I cant show you the link to the Italian website and Spanish website there are lot more photos there as well.

Good luck once again on your decision.

Edited by lorenzo

another one sent me scripted material that made it seem like I was talking to a computer... you get my point.

I know what you mean. I've read some consultation material that sounded like a script with just the name and certain numbers changed. And then they might also send excessive follow up emails that read the same way.

If I'm replying to someone I much prefer to take the time to do it right. If a patient is going to spend a lot of money on surgery the least a doctor's staff can do is take the time to write a more personal reply.

Edited by mattj

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Strictly my opinion, but this is the difference between the docs you listed.

I believe Shapiro is best known for his consistent results on age appropriate, natural hairlines. Great staff and follow up. The mindset seems to be more on the conservative side for planning.

Rahal seems to be best known for giving really dense "movie star" hairlines. Some amazing results if that's what you are after.

Hasson and Wong are more aggressive side for planning. They have more experience with mega sessions. Good consistant results. Wong is known as the "crown master". He recreates the natural whorl pattern the best.

It probably really comes down to what direction you want your HT to take and what area's you are wanting to concentrate on the most.

Once again, many thanks to you all for your feedback, its certainly helped a great deal in advancing my research and reaching a decision. Quite honestly, i am still torn between Dr Hasson and Dr Rahal.

On one hand, Dr H seems to have the most experience with mega sessions and 4k+ procedures in 1 sitting, he pioneered the lateral slit technique and the ability to dense pack, and seems to have longstanding experience and outstanding results.

Dr Rahal seems to excel creating natural looking hairlines, has experience with 4k+ procedures, and is very well regarded as far as dense packing.

Based on all the research and consultations I'm not yet able to make a definitive choice, and it falls down to choosing between the edge on the hairline and the mega session experience.

I understand its a personal decision and i probably won't go wrong with either, but please help break the deadlock.

A few things i noticed, which may or may not be material?

Dr H's transplant area and scar seem to heal quicker, on average, but unsure whether that's down to the individual?

Dr R gave me a tel consult whilst i spoke to Dr H's consultant, but that doesn't necessarily sway me significantly, since Dr H's consultant was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Dr H's advocates Proscar whilst Dr R sides with Rogaine, not sure what to make of that?

Dr R is more booked up than Dr H at this point, but not sure if that means anything?

I'm stuck ...

A few things i noticed, which may or may not be material?

Dr H's transplant area and scar seem to heal quicker, on average, but unsure whether that's down to the individual?

Dr R gave me a tel consult whilst i spoke to Dr H's consultant, but that doesn't necessarily sway me significantly, since Dr H's consultant was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Dr H's advocates Proscar whilst Dr R sides with Rogaine, not sure what to make of that?

Dr R is more booked up than Dr H at this point, but not sure if that means anything?

I'm stuck ...

Yeah, most of those points are non sequiturs. Healing ultimately depends on the patient's physiology when dealing with elite surgeons. Proscar and Rogaine both work; I would try both. Both docs are in high demand. You can't go wrong either way. Maybe meet both in person to get a better feel for the clinics.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Bobo,

I'm not familiar with your case since you're online with an alias so if you wish I'd be happy to set up a phone consultation with Dr. Hasson or even a Skype consultation. I'd ask that you send me your photos or pm me with your name so I can have your information in front of Dr. Hasson if/when you decide to have further contact with him.

With regards to hairlines, I think it should be noted that the naturalness of Dr. Hasson's hairlines is complete and the only real difference between Dr. Hasson's hairlines and Dr. Rahal's hairlines is that Dr. Hasson prefers the natural adult male design whereas Dr. Rahal tends to be a bit more aggressive with temple closure. On the right patient Dr. Hasson will close temples as well but he's a bit more conservative in the type of patient and the number of patients in which he feels this is appropriate. He's always keeping the future in mind when he performs hairline work and recognizes that temple closure requires more grafts that may otherwise be needed for other areas of potential loss in the future.

With regards to megasessions, well, I think anyone doing their research will understand that we pioneered the whole idea of megasessions and the approach to perform them properly and safely. We broke 4000 grafts over 8 years ago and never looked back with dozens upon dozens of cases that have broken the 6000, 7000 and yes a few that have broken the 8000 graft barrier. And as far as dense packing is concerned, Dr. Hasson showed the first patient ever planted at 70 grafts per cm2 way back in 2002 at the ISHRS meeting in Chicago so his dense packing cred is intact.

These are only some facts to be aware of but know that I think Dr. Rahal has truly earned his position as a "top doc" for sure. Especially of late he has been pushing himself and his staff to churn out some damned fine results that have made his patients really happy. You really can't go wrong with either doctor.

Again, let me know if you'd like to speak with Dr. Hasson via phone or Skype.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As a NW4/5, I don't think Rahal is going to close your temples or lower your hairline. It's true that he is the king of hairlines, but that is only when it's appropriate for the patient. He'll probably give you a very appropriate hairline depending upon your personal characteristics.

It's only ever the NW3s and below with good donor supply that get the 3-4k graft hairlines and temple closures. They're the only ones who can afford it both in terms of donor and long-term planning.

That being said, both are good docs and both will be aggressive enough so that you shouldn't have to go back for a second pass.

• 8 months later...

Gents, once again, i want to thank you all for your valuable advice to my previous post on how to differentiate among the top 3 surgeons. I ended up going to Dr Rahal end of October and until 3 weeks ago, which was my 6 month mark, i saw a significant amount of progress and growth, to the point that my hairline was almost filled out.

Over the last 3 weeks i have seen a gradual thinning from where i was, somewhat noticeable and i am starting to get concerned. Its certainly not back to where it was and much better than pre-surgery, but it is a regression of where i was, my scalp is now showing somewhat and i'm not sure where this is going. I had thought that at this point the transplanted follicles would have anchored and that i wouldn't be seeing any kind of regression.

Can someone please give me a realistic perspective on what is going on? How common is this and why does it happen? and is it temporary and will it reverse? After all the excitement of seeing that growth and filling out, i can't begin to imagine whats next. had it gone through a slower growth cycle it would not have been as alarming, but i am seeing progress reverse and i am not sure when this ends or what to do about, if i can do anything about it at all.

thanks in advance,

Hi bobo,

I imagine it must be native hair being lost. It's possible you're experiencing a shed from the Rogaine, and shedding is a normal part of using this treatment, as well as Propecia. Are you using Propecia?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hang tight bobo. I've noticed with both of my last two procedures a noticeable shed after month 6. It could have been the native hair falling out (doubtful) or it might have been the transplanted hair reverting back to their own natural shedding cycles. I'm not sure. Either way, after month 9 the hair started to thicken up again. Right now, I'm approaching a year and my hair looks better than ever - and it wasn't looking as good during months 7, 8, or 9 as it was by month 6. As Jotronic says, hair is always in a constant state of flux.

aaron & matt, thanks for your response.

i am using rogaine, but i didn't realize it would be counterproductive at this stage, should i continue using it?

I doubt its my native hair since i didn't have much and therefore the difference wouldn't have been that significant.

I'm glad you've had the same experience at month 6 and that it eventually reversed, what i'd like to figure out is why and how common this is, in order to understand if/what i should be doing about this? I haven't found any posts talking of the subject so i suspect its not that common.

If it is the transplanted hair shedding cycle, why does it seem so significant, since it doesn't seem to happen to normal hair on the back of your head? and does this occur repeatedly or just once?

Again, thanks in advance