What justifies a "comb over"

Jotronic

This is something that has perplexed me for quite some time. I've seen results posted by patients, and some clinics, over the years where the patient has their hair parted on one side. I consider this to be the most common hair style for men on the planet yet I see comments such as "it looks like a comb over" or the "comb over effect". This is obviously referring to patients higher on the NW scale.

In my experience a comb over is when someone uses hair from low on one side to cover their baldness on top. Usually this hair is grown unusually long specifically for this purpose. Patients that have this comment thrown at them don't have this problem yet to style their hair with a part to one side is ridiculed.

So, what I'm asking the members here is this; if you see a patient with advanced hair loss what type of hair style do you expect them to be able to have once their results have grown in and matured?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

"So, what I'm asking the members here is this; if you see a patient with advanced hair loss what type of hair style do you expect them to be able to have once their results have grown in and matured?"

Before I had transplants I naively thought that a patient could style his hair any way he liked after his results grew out. While this might be true in some cases, I don't think it holds true universally. The layering effect (combed down and/or to the side) most definitely gives the best appearance of density. Some may call it a "comb over", I wouldn't.

The best hairstyle for me is the spiked up look, or some call it a faux-hawk. But it is not the best for dealing with harsh lighting or direct sun light. This is because with the hair straight up the light still has a direct pathway to the scalp. I know with the layering effect and the hair combed down, the hair would be more adept in blocking the light's path to the scalp therefore reducing see through hair.

It probably also doesn't help that my hair is thinner in texture. Someone with thicker follicles would probably have more styling options.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Answer:

To me the comb over (in the context you are using) is when you take hair from the safe zone, grow it long as hell, and try to pass it off as HT results.

There should always be pictures in the same style as before and after. Partiing hair down the middle for a pre-op shop and only showing a side part pic for the after shot is sneaky marketing in my opinion. It is ok to have the side part (layering) shot in the pics, but you should always have the same hair style in the afters and in the befores for proper comparison.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Some guys at the NW2/3 level who hide their recession with their hair refer to it as a comb over. I just think of it as a hairstyle. :)

A comb over to me is exactly what you describe it as. Hair grown longer at one side to be styled so that it crosses all the way over a significantly bald crown and midscalp area, in the hope of making the baldness less apparent.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Layering is of course critical when you have had a HT. I have found that growing your hair out in certain places to "Cover" (I hate that word because it sounds worse then it is) thinner areas makes allot of sense and saves grafts by not having to transplant these araes when they can be addressed with the right style 9For example, using a soft part to minimize the look of temperal recession. Of course, growing it out too long or playing the cover up game too much can lead to what may be considered a "Comb over" so one has to be careful not to take it too far. For example, my front and mid are now in really good shape after my HT but my center top crown is very thin although its not that big an area. Where my crown whirl used to be, there is a good amount of strong termal hairs at the base of the whorl if that makes sense. I have grown this out a bit and it does a nice job minimizing the thin crown by giving coverage to the lower part of the thinning area. It is not a conb over but I think it is a good idea to use what you have to minimize thinning areas as long as you dont take it too far.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Based upon what has already been said, I think I'm a bit more liberal with my definition of a comb over. I believe a comb over, at least with regards to when the term is used to describe a hair transplant, is when the layering effect is the only way in which the man has any "illusion" of density. If the man is a prisoner to one style, and that style requires layering, well, that man is rocking a comb over.

The Combover: An Awesomely Bad Photo Gallery – Holytaco

When a person of opposite sex at work tells you: "That combover looks idiotic, it's better to shave it all off!". Thats when you will know if it justifies it in or not.

True story that I witnessed in person and will always stay in my mind until the end of time.

• Moderators
When a person of opposite sex at work tells you: "That combover looks idiotic, it's better to shave it all off!". Thats when you will know if it justifies it in or not.

True story that I witnessed in person and will always stay in my mind until the end of time.

Right. I get that all the time. People tell me why don't you just shave your head. Problem is I can't do that because of the multiple HT scars. The real kicker is the when I hear someone say I should get a hair transplant.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

We all know what a combover is and the ht side sweeping parting haircut that we commonly see on here is definitely not one. Ht's are effective by illusion so why on earth wouldn't a ht patient have a side parting if it was gonna help with the illusion it's just common sense to have the best haircut for your hair density.

But i have to say that style haircut is more of a 1920's cut apart from in them days they used to gel it down with loads of chip pan fat or whatever they used then. In the uk the side parting in question is not very common at all so i suppose it depends where you come from, in the uk it's not likely you would get away with a haircut like that if you were under 40 years old and it is quite likely you would receive some abuse but it's not likely to be called a combover.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I always thought a comb over was growing hair from near the sides as long as a beef jerky to cover the slick bald area. Some people with straight hair might comb their hair to the side but I wouldnt call it a comb over if they still have a decent amount of hair...