alarming question about all but one ht clinic!!!! you must read

nemo, hey look, nobody is saying this is a perfect industry. Can u say that u have never been late for school? for work? Can i safely say that if u r a day late for work, then u r labelled a bad worker? Come on, the forum moderators do not just approve any doc just because their web site looks good. In fact, they have been to several clinics for a check and interview with the docs. Do the docs wear their best attire for interview? Are the techs at their best when someone is checking? U bet so, but dun u do the same? Posters nowadays are weird, they look at the HT industry and moderators and physician representatives as if they are the perfect role models. A mistake from them warrants death.

Moreover, there are hundreds and thousands of real life posters giving their accounts of their HT and their journeys. What more do u want? If u are so critical, sorry mate, HT is not a perfect industry, just like every other industry. I strongly recommend u not to visit such sites

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nemo.shark,

For starters, declaring that anyone who does not agree with your point-of-view is "crazy" is probably not going to win you a lot of support.

I don't think I can add anything to the excellent replies that Blake has already posted as he has already clarified the manner in which hair restoration physicians are reviewed and accepted for recommendation by this community. He has also clarified how and why hair restoration results come to be posted here both by patients and by clinics and I believe he has clearly defined our purpose as patient advocates and not as a regulatory board.

If I'm interpreting you correctly, what you are asking for are absolute guarantees and this is simply not possible in any field. While it's difficult to equate hair restoration surgery with other types of procedures, services and products, Allow me to try and draw some parallels.

My father just had open heart surgery. I met and spoke to the surgeon and then I went online and read reviews about him on third party web sites. He didn't even have his own site as far as I could tell. He gave my father an 80% chance of surviving his surgery but he didn't offer us a 50% refund in the event my father died. We could have requested a different doctor had we wanted but we reviewed all the information we could and made an educated decision. That's all anyone can do.

I'm an avid scuba diver. When I intend to buy new gear, I go to a third party web site to read reviews. The website claims their reviews are objective. I also frequent a forum where I read consumer reviews and discussions about these products. Is it possible that some manufacturers are paying these guys to post stellar reviews? Sure! But when I see a guy who's been contributing for years on a variety of topics, I can use my own judgment to determine if he is legit or not. The ideal situation would be if I could get my hands on each product and test it in the real world myself but that's simply not possible.

How can reviews stand the test of time? How do you know if a doctor that is recommended today isn't going to become a hack tomorrow? You don't. You can only work within the here and now. Toyota was once the shining star of Japanese imports. Their safety record seemed above reproach until their highly publicized brake failures resulted in deaths. Does that negate the years of excellent reviews that came before?

The bottom line is that this site is a tool and an exceptional one at that. Because there are no guarantees you can only take in all the information at your disposal and then it's up to you to trust your instincts. How do you know if the photos posted by patients on our site are real? Because many of those guys are here on a daily or weekly basis asking the same questions you are. You can communicate directly with them and this is of far greater value to me than seeing these results posted on a clinic's site. In fact, in the old days you could only go by what the clinics showed you and told you about their work.

Finally, you've overlooked one final, important point. We regularly recommend that anyone considering hair transplant surgery meet with real patients in person prior to choosing their physician. I myself have extended offers to meet with at least three members who were considering my physician so they could see my results in person.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Davis, u r talking sense here but shark seems to be an agenda driven poster. If he insists on just quarrelling over nonsensical logic, there is nothing much we can do. I still maintain the same ; the HT industry is not perfect, nobody said it is, if u do not feel comfortable, i am more than happy to show u the door out of this forum

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

takingtheplunge

, if anyone disagrees with my point of view i don't really care about what i do care about is people being aware of what

im

trying to get across, what

im

looking is not absolute guarantees and i disagree that you think absolute guarantees are not possible in any field as i think you will find in most circumstance's as a consumer you have the right to return most things you purchase and gain a refund and also be given a guarantee.

the television shopping channels pay actors to lie about the products they are promoting and this is perfectly legal so that can and probably is also happening within this environment as paid

bloggers

and the sort do exist! and anyone on a Internet forum like this that is here day in day out like you say on a weekly basis asking questions could easily be someone that is employed to do so, or do you deem anyone that does this not intelligent enough to make it look like they are a genuine person by posting comments which are unrelated to what they are paid to do?? i

dont

want to be cynical but this sort of thing is happening for sure and this environment is not immune to it! and i have not over looked the fact that people meet other people from here but again what assurances do you have as to whether the people they meet are not paid actors that have had good hair transplant? obviously you guys are associated to this place so your going to defend it what someone like me brings things up like this but your also in a position of power over the surgeon's and if you don't or are unwilling to try and use that power to make things more secure within this field then you are negligent of what responsibility's came with that those powers, but the surgeon's also have power over yourselves and if they turned round and said right i want you to take all my pictures down as i hold the intellectual property over those images then this sight would not be as popular so your in a catch 22 but i still think you should try while your in the position you are to make a difference.

what problem have you got with making recommended surgeons publish their successful work on their web sights? so people looking at the results have at least an assurance that it is indeed genuine? instead of providing an environment for them to publish results where they are not accountable for their authenticity?

i will go back to my initial point in the opening post i started, go to

hassan

and wong's web sight and put some pop corn in the microwave order a pizza and spend the next 3 hours viewing awesome feature length videos in

hd

and hundreds of photos of totally awesome successful results of Hollywood style hair lines! that they are just more than proud to show off in their name to anyone who visits their sight! which in my opinion they should be winning the

Nobel

prize for!

now in comparison check out the other surgeons sights where you will be lucky to get a hand full of mug shots of guys that look like they are wearing a

tuppai

and after clicking your mouse 3 times the journey is over!

in my opinion anyone looking for a strip surgery who visits

hassan

and

wongs

sight and views all the content, who then even dares to

consider

going anywhere else not only deserves to have a bad hair transplant that looks like a

tuppai

the dog sleeps on but also a none consenting temporal lobe

lobotomy

at the same time because they are not

deserving

of evolutions most crowning

achievement

as they are

obviously

still making their

decision's

from some

recessive

trait within their autonomous and primitive brain stem.

and the best thing

anyone

looking for a

fue

transplant can do is to go to

mr

hassan

and

mr

Wong

and then beg and plea them to do a

fue

and pay them double.

just my opinion so far from what i have seen.

wb280, i have no agenda other than gaining what peoples opinions are in regard to surgeons posting lots of evidence of past work in a place they are out side that of the law and very few examples through official channels, if you think this is nonsensical and it s not some thing you should not be taking in to account when looking for a surgeon then that is up to you, but another member has already agreed with what i am saying in this thread nd said it was also a concern to himself when he first started researching a surgeon, if you want to act like a dictatorship and silence my concerns and freedom of speech for your own political reasons then that is up to you.

if any of you that are reading this thread actually have an association or contact with a surgeon i challenge you to put this question to them, Why do you not display the best work you have done on your own web sight under your name and your company's name?

nemo, What's important is that people are finding really good quality surgeons via this web site. The first "butcher" I went to I found through googling my area and HTs. He had his own web site with his own pictures. It meant nothing. I found Dr. Feller through this site and he has truly helped me. I also became aware of several other docs doing really good work because of this site, and this is in an industry still filled with con men and docs doing outdated work. Sorry, but I really don't think these clinics are formulating some master plan to create a legal loophole. As stated, the waiver form protects them in a court of law. Perhaps you should speak with an attorney regarding this situation if it really concerns you and you are thinking of going through with HT surgery. Every clinic I have visited also gives you access to real patient testimonials and folks willing to show their results in real life--you can't do much better than that.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

This entire thread is seriously creating quite the headache between my eyes.

Nemo:

You will never prosper with your current knowledge if you are not willing to open your eyes and understand what other long term (far more educated) posters are trying to relay to you here.

The reason I came to the conclusion your posts looked to be screaming conspiracy amongst HT physicians is due to the fact....your posts do just that. You have dropped a number of uneducated statements which quite frankly show no realistic sense as to why you are here, if you truly are this concerned and alarmed with the HT industry cease the research and leave the forum.

HT physicians are not going to give you a total guarantee on a procedure because every detail plays a part from physiology to luck, it is somewhat of a gamble. If you opt for a quality screened physician your odds obviously increase.

HT patients have created 1000's of journals on this site, you will clearly find good-bad results throughout them, I suggest taking a peek.

I feel a strong sense of aggression within your posts also, have you previously had a bad experience?

Hasson and Wong DO NOT DO FUE and WILL NOT DO FUE if you pay them double.

I am unsure if you were serious or not with that comment on an earlier post but it was ridiculous.

In all honesty H&W are not the Bee's knee's of the HT world, there are many other creative highly respected surgeons recommended on this forum. Research, Research, Research.

PS: Utilize spell check.

Cheers,

PPS: Yes that was a personal attack.

Edited by MusoInOz

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Finding Nemo,

We've always encouraged physicians to keep their website updated with recent photos because frankly, if they don't, it looks bad for them. Physicians have long been encouraged to present high resolution, detailed photographs showing multiple angles of the scalp before, immediately post-op and after surgery under similar lighting conditions and hairstyling. This goes for photos they submit to this community and their own website.

While we'd prefer physicians to keep their websites updated along with this community, there is no law requiring them to do so. There is also no ethical concern. So I'm really not sure where you are going with this.

This community provides hair loss sufferers with information and a chance to share their genuine experiences, concerns and opinions. We are also very serious about keeping our standards high and recommending only those physicians with a proven track record of producing excellent results. To see how we recommend surgeons, click here. While we can't substantiate the validity of all posts (read our terms of service), I personally feel that the majority of members here are legitimate and are an assett to this community.

Once in awhile however, it becomes obvious that certain members have joined here with an agenda, either to promote a particular physician, product, etc. or to unfairly malign them. In many cases, these members are disgruntled physicians or clinics who are not members of this community trying to make themselves look good or others look bad - including this community. Frankly, considering you have no previous postings and tout conspiracy theories, anyone would suspect that you are one of these agenda driven posters.

You seem to be a huge fan of Hasson and Wong which is fine. So am I. But it's interesting that you'd discredit all other physicians simply because their websites aren't as up to date. You expressed concerns that this community is prescreening surgeons based strictly on photographs we've seen (which isn't the case by the way) and are concerned that these photos may not be legitimate. Yet you don't question whether or not the photos on Hasson and Wong's website are legitimate. I find that strange. Why would photos physician's upload to their own website be any more credible than photos they upload here? If anything, this community is much more critical and demands that physicians present more detailed photographs than are usually displayed on any physician's website. This in turn, has encouraged physicians and clinics (like Hasson and Wong) to update their website with high resolution, detailed photos.

So instead of touting conspiracy and conjuring nonsensical legal notions, why not share your own personal hair loss story and/or experience and be a constructive part of this community. Perhaps you'll learn something from our members and in turn, others can learn from your opinions and experiences.

Best Regards,

Bill

Personally, I have to disagree with the very premise of the first post. I just quickly visited the SMG & Rahal websites and they both show dozens and dozens of excellent results, many with in-depth summaries and multiple pre-op & post-op photos at various angles. I'm not sure that your hypothesis that only the H&W site shows convincing results is correct.

Somewhat related to what nemo.shark brought up is something that has troubled me for the past six months or so. Very few of the recommended physicians consistently upload photographs of their work. For example, I can't tell you the last time I've seen a result from Dr. Ross or Dr. Tykocinski posted here, and I don't recall ever seeing results posted from Dr. Madhu, (other than when he was up for recommendation) Dr. Gillespie, Dr. Tessler or Dr. Griffin. And while I believe Dr. Bernstein is one of the best HT doctors in the world, the only results I've ever seen of his have been ones that he already has on his website, and with very few top down shots.

It's inexcusable that every physician is not posting at least one result per month on this forum.

I appreciate the OP's recognition of our photo (and video) galleries but I would like to clarify why we have gone to such efforts to keep a steady stream of results on our own site. The answer is simple, we want to show our work as much as we can because we are of the firm belief that the more results we share the more consistency will be seen with our services. Nothing more, nothing less. This is why almost two years ago we dedicated ourselves to uploading HD video on a weekly basis and have been using HD video in general for roughly four years total.

I can say with confidence that other clinics that may not update their galleries on their respective websites as often as we do are not trying to skirt any sort of legal ramifications of doing so, even if there were any to begin with of which I believe there are not. I think the simple reason is because of what it takes to maintain a website. Most doctors are not web savvy (understanding html code at most, having an easy manner to upload images at least) and find it easier to upload on a forum such as this one. We have our own webmaster that updates our site, edits our video and keeps things rolling smoothly. We felt it was necessary to bring a professional on staff in order to allow our focus of showing results to remain steady and uninterrupted. If I were to take these duties on again I'd be in the office 23 hours a day in order to keep up with my existing duties not to mention I haven't NEARLY the experience with the web that our webmaster does.

So, in closing, I think more clinics update their sites on a fairly regular basis than they did perhaps in the past simply due to the increased pressure to do so by their peers but overall those that do perform these updates are in the minority when compared to the total number of clinics in operation today. For what reason I have no idea but I'm sure it is safe to say that there are no legal issues that are dictating this action or lack thereof.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Nemo, dictatorship? what are u talking abt?? The guys have made it very clear, there is simply no conspiracy theory by all the surgeons in this regard. You mean they all get together and whisper and chuckle to themselves into agreeing they will post fake and doctored photos in this forum and not in their own website?? what good does it make????? If your conspiray theory is true, they should post the fake photos in their website as well. There is simply no logic in your words. Omg. i do not want to respond to this thread anymore, there is no logic in the argument in the first place.

I still think some of the OP's concerns are valid, but it's quite obvious after reading thru his recent posts that he is a newbie with very limited knowledge. But hey, IMO it's better to be a non-trusting skeptical jackass in the beginning of your research. I definitely was.

What he clearly doesn't seem to understand is that most of the really great docs are like great artists who are not very good businessmen because the time is simply not there. Like Joe said, it takes hiring people specifically for the purpose of maintaining a website like H & W and most of the other clinics just don't have the resources to do that, or are unwilling to put forth the resources.

For now I'm changing my grade for the OP to a C- until he shows a little more intelligence with his questions. The whole "legal" argument of clinics posting results on their own websites versus this site is really funny and quite trite.

i can see you have all ganged up on me since i have been away, im not a lawyer or solicitor nor do i have an axe to grind or employed by any surgeon to promote anyone, im actually a qualified scientist in terms of biology and im not new to this sight i joined around 12 months ago and my research has mostly been in scientific terms and i was looking closely in to the cloning research that was going on in the united kingdom and the other discovery in the US which actually sounded more more promising when i first heard about i, as well as other scientific research like this Effect of caffeine and testosterone on the proliferation of human hair follicles in*vitro - Fischer - 2007 - International Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

since this research was published many shampoo and soap manufacturers started to put caffeine in their products so ive been looking in to other approaches other than that of a hair transplant.

all i want to say as someone coming to this sight is that i have a concern and i am concerned about choosing a surgeon based on photos that surgeons have posted on a 3rd party web sight which in many cases are better results than what they are willing to display officially related to their business!

sure they make you sign a waver but that waver doesn't mean anything if you can prove that it was the surgeons or clinics negligence that lead to you having a poorer result than you expected or were lead to believe was possible and making a decision on who you go with from pictures or information you viewed and received from 3rd party's and not them officially could easily bring your expectation level beyond that of what was actually possible and in such a case it wont look good for your case in a court if it could be proved that the level of expectation was actually received outside that of an official channel which was unrelated to the surgeon or clinics information that they presented to you, so in these circumstances its in a surgeons best interests to display their not so great work officially and then have others to display great work in other unofficial places which increases your expectation of a excellent result which you wont receive.

if you don't think this is a genuine concern or anything you should think about before having surgery then fine that is your prerogative.

i will add this as well, i dont know how long this sight has been operationg for but does anyone know of anyone that has sucsess fully sued a ht surgion or clinic over that period??

well in the uk there are and im sure in other parts of the world there are numerous solicitors that make a great living for themselves regularly suing dentists for negligence, here's a few expamples.

the dental law partnership - solicitors

Dental Negligence Claim Solicitors UK

Free legal advice for dental claims, dental complaints & dental negligence 0208 346 1411 Edgar Gordon Dental over treating Dental complaints

Dental Negligence Claims | Compensation for Dental Negligence | No Win No Fee Dental Negligence Claim

Dental Negligence Compensation: WithyKing.co.uk*

now i would love anyone to find me one that specialises in and makes a living in suing ht surgeons????

Bill-

Can you please close this thread!?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

musoInOz, if you have personally got a problem with anything written in this thread then don't open it read it and contribute to it! im sure you can execute self restraint in this respect?? and if you can not then what makes you think other people should be denied the freedom to read it and express their opinions just because you have a problem with its content?

ive opened this thread to raise a concern and have the nature of the concern discussed and debated upon, which is a fundamental right that anyone has in jurisdictions where freedoms of speech and expression are upheld! in fact i believe there are laws regarding this that you may want to look into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

I don't really see the need to bash nemo and tell him to leave. He brought up a very valid point about the HT industry. Most HT clinics have really dropped the ball with their web sites. To make the excuse they can't afford a good web site is ridiculous given the cost of a typical HT. It costs almost nothing to post a gallery of photos and update them frequently.

If I want to buy a Porsche I go to Porsche's web site first. I expect to find great photos, detailed technical information, a history of the company etc. If I don't find good information I might try to track it down on a forum. But I know that forums introduce a huge potential for incorrect information because the contributors have widely varying levels of knowledge and experience. Forums like this are great, but they really shouldn't be the first line of promotion/documentation for a clinic.

Nemo, if you're looking for FUE you should check into Dr Alexander in Arizona. His web site looks like it was designed in 1980, but you will find patient photos and from what I've seen he does nice work. Just be aware that he also does strip HT's so it might be difficult to determine what kind of surgery produced the results you see, especially if the patient had more than one transplant. Biltmore Surgical Medical Hair Replacement - Arizona Hair Loss and Tansplant

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

biscuit, seriously? This dude just posted tons of stuff on dental complaints and lawsuits which i guess the only reader is himself. The last straw was this : now i would love anyone to find me one that specialises in and makes a living in suing ht surgeons????

Look, i m sure u have nothing against Dr Alexander, but why would u recommend him to a dude who has publicly declared he is gonna find someone that specialises in and makes a living in suing ht surgeons??? This is crazy man... I seriously hope he goes in a HT with a mindset of geting his hair back and not suing the surgeon's ass.

I am not looking for a lawyer or law firm, by posting those examples I was making a point that you obviously need an explanation to understand.

Dentists make you sign a waver before having treatment just like ht surgeons, but still law firms exist which specialise in suing dentists after treatments they have carried out, those law firms would not even exist if they didn’t make enough money persuing claims against dentists. So you would presume its an often occurrence with in that industry and some what profitable for them to do so and they will even take on your case no win no fee.

Now in contrast I challenge anyone to find me just one law firm in the whole world that specialises in pursuing claims against the ht industry on a regular basis’??

I think you will find that there isn’t even one! So why is this? Is it the fact that the ht industry is perfect? And no mistakes happen and everyone that has a hair transplant is happy?

well after reading so many story’s on here about things that have gone wrong and people scared for life and totally terrible results that in many cases made them look worse than what they did before the surgery I would say no, there are many many people who are wronged and when they are wronged there’s nothing they can possibly do about it legally! Or it is at least extremely difficult!

So you’re actually more protected going for dental treatment whether it’s for aesthetics or other reasons but going for a ht theres no one that can help you legally after you have been wronged! So there’s no real incentive for the industry to clean up its act and be brought in to line with an industry like dentistry.

personally I think if you have a ht and the grafts don’t grow or they grow in a manor that is totally unacceptable with one surgeon or clinic then you go to another surgeon and they are able to some how make your grafts grow and grown in an esthetical manor which is acceptable, then you have a case to argue that it was indeed the first surgeons or clinics incompetence that made your results look so bad or grafts not to grow and the operation was indeed done incorrectly for what ever reason which there are many like the grafts were dissected incorrectly before being placed by their staff or they were removed using fue incompetently, or even they were left ex vivo for to log a period before being implanted and then I would argue were the grafts treated in the proper manor when they were ex vivo, were they refrigerated at the right temperature while dissected ex vivo or were they even refrigerated at all? Im unsure if they do this? But it’s a well known principle in science that any cells removed from the body which are not refrigerated as soon as they become ex vivo stand for a MUCH!!Greater!! Chance of rejection than if the are cooled! As they should be taken down to the lowest survivable temprite dependant on the cell types usually around 4 degrees c which is what transplant organs are stored at when ex vivo, it is a well established scientific principle that if this is not done the chance of a successful implantation is dramatically reduced! We all no blood cells are stored in such a manor that are used for transfusions. From video ive seen of hts it looks like this isn’t even done to any extent! I would be pissed if my ht grafts didn’t grow and then I found out those grafts were not reduced in temperature while ex vivo for prolonged periods like which is the case with extensive hair transplantation.

Edited by nemo.shark

nemo shark,

Here's the deal in a nutshell bro: today's modern HTs are an ELECTIVE cosmetic surgery!!! What this means is that, as far as the majority of society is concerned, it is something totally unneccesary and bordering on the comical, crazy and ridiculous. The way our society sees it you are a man and "so what buddy, you're losing your hair -- ha, ha, ha -- DEAL WITH IT !!!!" As a bald/balding guy you are simply supposed to swallow the bitter pill and accept your fate and the lowly status that society imposes upon you as a result of something genetic and completely out of your control!

So it is my opinion that, as far as the courts are concerned, there really is no accepted standard of care concerning HTs -- and hence the NEED for a website such as this one! Unless you are seriously butchered and disfigured by the HT doctor, I believe the courts would probably just laugh you out of the door for not being man enough to accept your baldness and join the club of the George Costanzas of the world -- the meek, mild, insecure dweebs who stare at the ground and pray every night for the day they might get to be with an attractive woman, for which they would do ANYTHING for.

As you can see by reading the countless blogs on this site, baldness (for MANY) is a very distressing and debilitating condition that literally sucks the life, hope, confidence, and optimism out of these people. Many of them go from being actively social to becoming miserable recluses who lock themselves up in their apartments and/or hide desperately under hats. Yet SOCIETY still persists in seeing this whole affair as something laughable and trite, though there are probably countless cases where people even committed suicide over their hairloss. And to add insult to injury, the same SOCIETY continuosly reinforces negative images associated with baldness in the media. Criminals are almost always bald/balding and the heroes almost always have a full flowing maine of hair. Also, about 99.9% of the time the men who are portrayed as "attractive" have full heads of hair, whereas the "unattractive" are almost always bald/balding. It's been like this forever in the world of television as far as I can see.

So anyway, IMO we are indeed VERY LUCKY to have doctors and clinics that have put forth the effort to arrive at the URFUT prodecure of today. You must understand that this is a very recent breakthrough where HTs can be undetectable, even at the hairline! Many of the good docs on this site are just people who understand the social stigma of baldness and the pain that is causes, and they have dedicated their life to furthering the advances in this field and helping people overcome this stigma -- WITH NO HELP WHATSOEVER FROM THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY !!! Yes, these advances have only come because of the determination of private individual doctors who are making a career for themselves whilst helping to positively change the lives of hairloss sufferers. Of course, I am talking about the very few GOOD doctors out there!

So you see, you simply CANNOT compare this to dental surgery or just about any other field of conventional medicine! Countless BILLIONS in non-private funding has been pumped into advancing the field of dental surgery, whereas by comparison the HT field isn't even on the map. Dentists also go thru rigorous training programs in modern universities to learn the accepted standard of care which is already established, whereas there are no such training programs for HTs. So can you see how completely RIDICULOUS your comparison between the two is ?? Cosmetic hair restoration is not seen by our society as something important, and is placed in the category of the absurd and ridiculous. You simply have to be diligent and do your research, meet as many patients in person as possible, and then hope for the best if you decide to undergo a HT procedure.

When you meet patients in person a light bulb will go off in your head and, if you're like me, ONLY then will you really believe what you see portrayed on the internet is genuine. IMO anyone who just looks at this site (or a clinic's website) and decides to book a procedure without first meeting patients is really taking a big risk. But once you see a great HT in the flesh, man all the mistrust and doubt suddenly goes away and you're like "holy crap, I guess this really IS possible today" !! :D

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

nemo, honestly man, I no longer have any clue what your point is, and reading your posts has become very difficult. They are riddled with spelling and grammatical errors making for very distracting reading. Is there any way you could articulate your question/concern in two to three sentences and be done with it?

Regarding law suits against HT clinics: they do happen and there have been quite a few class action suits that I know of. I did try to sue my first HT "doc" in small claims court but the process was so dragged out that I eventually gave up. Also, HTs are a much more private affair than dental work, and not many guys wish to go public with it.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hair there, oh i din know that happened to u mate, thats rough... But my point is, i think its unwise to harbour that thought of suing the doc's pants off should the operation goes awry even before he goes under the knife. That mentality is crooked. He should probably focus on getting back his hair than anything else. Anyway i am done replying to this thread. Its getting nonsensical

• Moderators

*** I'm writing this from experience as I went through the lawsuit. I signed a short 1 page waiver that did not mention scars. I also paid $150 extra per session for a guarantee. ***

The difference between a hair transplant and dental surgery is that hair transplants are considered cosmetic surgery and therefore not needed, so it's up to you to decide if you want to try it or not. If it doesn't work out, it was your decision to try it. You won't get far suing for something you chose to do that wasn't necessary.

This is true even if the Dr lied about expected results, told you the surgery was required, didn't have certain things in the waiver (in fact they don't even need to have you sign a waiver. They do so to give them even more protection), didn't have any of the training they said they did (because elective surgery does not legally require any specific training), etc, etc.

Believe it or not It does not even matter if the so called Dr turns out to not be a licensed Dr. In fact that even has advantages to the so called Dr. because you can't sue for medical malpractice for elective surgery if the person performing the surgery is not a Dr.

You can sue for consumer fraud, but then you have to prove that the Dr lied to you or isn't able to offer something similar to what was promised. This is where the waiver really protects them. Even if you didn't sign a waiver the Dr wilt simply show photos of previous patients or actual patients in person (that work for him of course) showing that he does do quality of work. The Dr will then say that he can fix, correct, modify, etc any areas that you are not happy with. It will then be up to you to prove that he can't do that. But how can you prove something by refusing to allow the Dr to do it? You almost can't unless you have other Drs willing to say that you can't be helped, which is very unlikely.

Bottom line is it's EXTREMELY hard to successfully sue for a hair transplant in the USA.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.