For a repair who should I choose Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Cooley or Dr. Alexander

I had a pretty bad HT 11 years ago and am not happy at all about my look. I wish I would have manned up and just shaved my head but now my only choice is to attain a repair.

From what I am reading there are actually doctors that can make one look good. Wow, that would be nice!

From my research I am debating to have my repair done by Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Cooley or Dr. Alexander.

Who do you think I should choose?

Have you heard anything bad about either of these guys?

Help... I need to stop thinking about this crap and move on with my life! Oh, and I am not posting any pictures. Just picture a peach with its fuzz and thats what my temple looks like.

No shills... If anyone spots a shill call them out!

HT #1 Unknown Butcher (1998)

Total about 1500

-------------------------------------------------------------

HT #2 Dr. Alexander (2011)

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

You can't go wrong with Dr. Alexander. He does some of the best temple/hairline work I have seen.

I just had my 2nd round with Dr. Alexander & I am very happy.

Yours sonds like an easy fix.

Good luck, :)

ATOMIC

You have picked three good doctors so you are on the right track. If I were you I would get a consult from all three of them as see which one you feel more comfortable with. Ever repair is unique so it would be interested what different each of these doctor would use.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

All doctors mentioned are amazing, but Dr. Lindsey in Virginia constantly impresses me with his repair jobs. He is also a plastic surgeon, so that goes well with HT repair issues.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr. Ron Shapiro from SMG, No Doubt...He is professional in repair. Check out his patient Bulletnut. Amazing rescue work.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Guys if you are going to start mentioning doctor that arent mentioned on this thread dont forget Dr. Wong. Not only does he have over 20 years experience in strictly hair transplantation but has many repair cases on this website and on his website.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Thank everyone for your advice!

I see that you agree Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Cooley or Dr. Alexander are good Doctors to talk to.

Have you heard any negative things about any of these doctors? The only negative I have read was that Shapiro is that he was not in the room very long

After talking with each office these are my thoughts:

-I liked Dr. Coolsy especially because of his use of ACell. Is this product as amazing as it seams? The rep said that a the donor with not even have a scar at all. I am a little hesitant because I wonder if he takes too much time in his research and not perfecting his art.

-Alexander talked to me himself and sounds very good.

-Shapiro has been around longer, has many accolades and seams to do the top work. Also, his rep was great and seamed the most confident in his Dr.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

TroyPolamalu79

Yes you are correct you have picked three great doctors to decide on.

I liked Dr. Coolsy especially because of his use of ACell. Is this product as amazing as it seams? The rep said that a the donor with not even have a scar at all. I am a little hesitant because I wonder if he takes too much time in his research and not perfecting his art.

Are you sure that the rep said that the donor will not have a scar at all?? You need to double check this because these statements are either misunderstood, exaggerated or false.

Good luck on your search

From what I recall she made the ACell seam like a scientific breakthrough. I am pretty sure she said that post recovery where the scar would will be skin and maybe hair. You are right though when they take out a big slice like that there has to be some scar. It is not like skin is a whiteboard that can be erased

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

In my opinion the potential for ACELL is huge but right now doctor are trying to understand it. Maybe in the future you will not be able to see the scar.

You should talk to Dr. Cooley he is an ethical and great doctor I am sure he would be more than happy to explain ACELL to you.

Troy didnt anyone ever teach you dont believe a word a women says :D??

Good luck once again on your search.

That is true about woman haha... From seeing the finger grow back the ACell does seam like it has great potential. When looking at all the doctors I think Cooleys may be thinking more about scientific break throughs. After talking to Shapiros Rep I in a round about way got the feeling he would be in and out and the assistants would be doing alot of work. I decided to go with Alexander next month. He had way more ideas including prior laser hair removal of bad work. He seams like a perfectionist and thats what I want! I will take average or passable too...

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Try Polamalu, I think you made a fine choice, I don't recall who you are with the information above, but I am sure Dr Alexander will take good care of you.

Just to clarify for our readers: I would never imply the doctor does every aspect of the work, but if you speak with any of our patients they will tell you Dr Shapiro could not be more in tuned with the patient and the procedure, it is his nature. He is in the surgery the first half of the day 100% of the time. At noon-1pm, when the patient has his lunch, all the incisions have been made, which the doctor does. The incisions the doctor makes, dictate, pattern, distribution, where certain hairs go, basically the artistry and angle and direction in which the hair grows out. After lunch there is a window where the doctor does not need to be in the surgery room the entire time, this is when the grafts are generally being placed behind the hairline in the core area, by senior techs that have been with us up to 15years. Placing grafts is like placing a letter into an envelope, which does require a gentle touch to not damage the graft. With years of experience and repetition our techs have become highly skilled at this, however, our techs do not make a move on their own, Dr Shapiro orchestrate everything and inspects every move. This is a 2 hour window where the doctor can step out of surgery and see a patient in a consult for a short period of time. Once the grafts in the core area have been placed, the doctor with the aid of a senior tech, will work along the hairline with the last 10-15% of the grafts (the finest 1-2 hairs), providing 2-3 passes to tweak and fine tune the hairline. Away to explain this would be, the area behind the hairline, is like painting the center of a wall, and the work on the hairline the trim work, requiring more precision. The multiple passes is like writing a paper. You write one draft, re-read it, tweak it, write a second draft, read it, tweak it, to achieve the very best end result. At our clinic our doctors are involved with the whole procedure and are in the surgery room 80% of the day. Hope this helps...Matt

Edited by Zup

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Good decision you are in good hands.

After talking to Shapiros Rep I in a round about way got the feeling he would be in and out and the assistants would be doing alot of work. I decided to go with Alexander next month. He had way more ideas including prior laser hair removal of bad work. He seams like a perfectionist and thats what I want! I will take average or passable too...

In most top clinics as Zupa stated the assistants do the placing. They are only trained to do that work are are incredible at it. Most doctors are capable of placing grafts but not at the same quality as the girl that can have 20 years experience. Most doctor will folllow the same thing that Zupa described. The only way of doing more work would be for the doctor to place the grafts himself. If that was the case he would be limited on the amount a grafts per day maybe 800-1000 and probaly have to charge alot more.

Although you make a good choice I am just curious what differences you found between the two doctor when it came to how much work they do? Does Dr. Alessander place the grafts? I wouldnt be surprised if he does exactly the same thing as Zupa stated.

Regardless good luck and keep us posted!!

I do agree with Matt, IMO after long searching, my American choice will be Dr Ron Shapiro. I love to be handeled by a very careful HT surgeon who doesnt risk a lot and care about the details and the procedure. Especially for having a very well experienced staff and head nurse (Janna). He honestly was my 2nd choice after Rahal before I decided to do my repair surgery.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I agree with everything you guys are saying. Matt, I even gave you props, "Shapiro has been around longer, has many accolades and seams to do the top work. Also, his rep was great and seamed the most confident in his Dr." Also, everything Matt said he in fact told me. I was just stating my very arm-chair opinion in few sentences. I had my doubts about this forum but I definitely talked to Matt.

After talking to all three it was so hard to choose between Alexander and Shapiro. I have read in here that it is a personal choice for many reasons. I really liked that Alexander only does one patient a day and in my opinion at worst his HT look natural and at best look like my little piece of heaven.

Man I just want to be the guy with the horrible before and beautiful after picture!

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Oh and Alexander did say he uses the assistants in what I assume the same way but to me when talking to Matt to me I heard to much about how good the assistants are. I see now it was a mute point but it was my initial impression.

Total about 1500

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Hey Troy, your fine....I did not want to stop anything, I apologize to Dr Alexander who is in the middle of this. I just wanted to clearly describe our surgery and Dr Shapiro involvement so others were aware and knew exactly how things were done. Everything else is good. Regards, Matt

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna