Why doctors choose PRP-like new treatments

I want to preface my post with the fact that I think PRP, if it works, is great. I also thank the doctors who are using it and trying it out. Having said that, the reality behind why doctors are trying PRP is because it's a potentially valuable source that could help/aid the results of HT's. It doesn't put any HT doctor "out of business". Amazing how quickly doctors are picking up on this PRP treatment. If HM would have benefitted some of these doctors (which it realistically can), I think many HT doctors would support funding/researching HM as well. Unfortunately, some feel that they have a lot to lose, so they choose to offer us things that will maintain and not grow new hair. I say we all put together money and support research on our own icon_smile.gif.

I cannot answer this question for other doctors. I choose to try new treatments like PRP because I feel strongly that we are on the brink of some really great new technology. I have also been involved with stem cell research and am trying to figure out what if any role it may play in hair restoration. Some doctors are more conservative and do not want to take the risk of endorsing a new type of treatment in fear that it may not work and their reputation may be tarnished. There will always be patients who are willing to try new treatments.

As long as they are properly notified of all potential risks and understand that the treatment may not work I do not see the harm in it. If we never tried experimenting with new ideas and treatments we might still be doing plugs.

Originally posted by hdude46:

Dr. Charles, since we can now succesfully clone hairs in test tubes, do you think the 5-10 year window is finally accurate that HM will be commercially available?

id also like it if you answered this... just looking for your opinion ONLY. we know that you cant say for certain if/when a 'cellular level' hair procedure will exist but still id like to know your OPINION on it, if you dont mind sharing Dr....

BTW,Dr. Charles, id like to say that i appreciate that your not afraid to get involved in threads asking tougher questions then this one... not every dr here is as involved

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Dr. Charles, thanks for responding. I agree that new treatments are always sought after (hence why we're no longer stuck with plugs). But when I hear that doctors are listing "PRP" as part of their "new treatment" line, I don't know if I'm real satisfied. Yes, it's a potentially great addition to HT's. It would be great if it could maintain the hair that's miniaturized and revive it. But HM is what most of us need to truly be happy. I personally think HM will be extremely valuable to HT doctors as it could provide an unlimited source of donor hair. It may, according to some, require the patient to return years down the line for further treatment as well. The point is, there are less unhappy patients and less lawsuits with HM. Why wouldn't any doctor want that? I'm glad to hear that you're involved in stem cell research. I know several private doctors are. Hopefully, it will lead to something soon. But you have to admit, there are other doctors hesitant to engage in things like stem cell research for fear that it will somehow put them out of business. Hence, those doctors rush to support and test products like PRP which is similar to Propecia/Minoxidil (perhaps slightly superior).

Originally posted by mmhce:

Dr. Charles,

What are the risks and rewards of the PRP treatment?

Thanks.

I think paying for treatment with unproven efficacy is no different than paying for treatments like "Hair Laser Therapy". But that is just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

• 1 month later...

As Dr. Charles mentioned. Many Docs like to wait and see what others have been doing in order for the kinks and bugs to be ironed out. SInce it is new we like to be cautious. After the AMsterdam meeting and learning more about it, it does have potential and promise and will also be incorporating int the practice. But as scientists, we always like to see good scientific published peer reviewed studies that prove its efficacy. And that takes time.

I for one do NOT think that hair multiplication or cloning of hair will be available for people my age or older. (44 now). I may be wrong.

One of the regular posters here asked me at an in-person consultation last ski season if I said that because I am worried about job security. The answer is no, patients will still need a doctor to design the transplant and do it. I think it would increase business in fact.

I agree with Dr. Charles that PRP may be the brink of something big. I may offer it later this year. IF it is indeed successful, we may look back at these early years with better knowledge as to proper dosage/concentration and treatment intervals--a few years from now.

As to the lawsuit issue--there are lots of reasons to adopt a new technology---better results, less invasiveness, etc; but avoiding the fairly uncommon hair litigation is not really high on most docs' reasons for wanting multiplication/cloning in my opinion. Rather it would be to really "cure" MPB with a patient's own tissue.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Lindsey, are you considering offering prp as a treatment alone or in conjunction with a HT. I ask because I have some thinning on my frontal left top corner as well as a little on my right side but I am too young and still have too much hair for a HT. Do you think PRP is something I should seriously look at?? Also I have yet to here from doctors of what the best case scenario of a prp treatment today would be...Does it stop loss for 6 months, slow it down for 6 months, reverse miniaturization for 6 months, just thicken healthy hairs for 6 months etc..?

• 4 months later...

Montrose,

At this point, there are several. But until PRP is proven, I personally like to refer to it as a PRP procedure, rather than a treatment. We really don't know whether or not it's treating anything at this point.

Some of the initial data provided by Dr. Feller was encouraging. However, I haven't seen any new reports lately. In my opinion, PRP has a ways to go before become a proven treatment for female or male pattern baldness.

Best wishes,

Bill

Posted by Dr. Chris Bisanga rep on another forum:

The approximate consistency of platelets in 1 cubic cm of blood is 250,000 and when concentrated with PRP can increase to 1 million, 4 times the concentration. The platelets contain the "healing" tools that are released when a wound is made. Due to the concentrated nature of PRP and the fact it can be used in specific isolated areas the platelets can react faster to the area, improving coagulation, reduce bleeding and with less fibrosis and collagen manufacture. The conclusion not just a speedier healing process but improved healing of the skin tissue reducing the signs scarring with improved healing characters.

The platelets are rich in proteins and may aid the healing in the recipient placement sites for the new grafts to rest in and the donor healing of either the linear scar with Strip surgery or punch scarring with FUE surgery. The proteins growth factors should show an increase in speed of the healing, stimulating the formation of vessels so helping the follicle to bond with the site faster and with the tissue and cardio vascular system. The fibrotic inducing proteins will enhance the conversion of fibrinogen into fibrin but in a lesser amount than naturally. This conclusion can mean a scar of visibly less size, improved laxity, less separation and angle change between follicular units, reduced miniaturization and less collagen production between the fatty tissue and dermis layer.

Dr. Bisanga has finished his first phase of trials with PRP, he is pleased with many aspects of the tests, donor and recipient. He believes used in the correct circumstances PRP can aid the recovery in the recipient and donor, especially so far seen with FUE.

Certainly tests in the FUE donor healing have shown significant improvements in extraction point closure and speed of recovery. This can have benefits for FUE donor harvesting and management not just for that procedure but future procedures. In the recipient we have seen improvements in healing speed and growth rates, yield no difference as we have a high yield ratio anyway, but certainly in the majority of tests so far the regrowth speed improved. There is also positive signs that miniaturised native hair in the recipient area and donor for that matter, especially surrounding the area of the HT have shown signs of improvement in the calibre and strength.

Dr. Bisanga intends to continue the trials over the next 3 months, predominately with FUE patients free of charge to increase the research and potential for the treatment.

(promotional link removed)

I find this encouraging information. Just speeding up recovery for the donor and recipient sites is a win in my book. Regrowth potential is icing on the cake. I keep hoping more doctors will test this protocol. Seems like there is minimal risk to HT results. I would hope numerous patients would be willing to pay for the PRP procedure if offered. I know I would.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bill - Managing Publisher:

Montrose,

At this point, there are several. But until PRP is proven, I personally like to refer to it as a PRP procedure, rather than a treatment. We really don't know whether or not it's treating anything at this point.

Some of the initial data provided by Dr. Feller was encouraging. However, I haven't seen any new reports lately. In my opinion, PRP has a ways to go before become a proven treatment for female or male pattern baldness.

Best wishes,

Bill

can you please tell us which doctors are providing PRP procedures? perhaps you can list them on a separate thread and update it periodically? just a thought.

thank you

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Shyguy,

While I'm interested in viewing clinical studies and reading about people's experiences with PRP, it's still not considered a proven hair loss treatment. Thus, creating a list of doctors who provide PRP would be like me putting a list of physicians together that offer saw palmetto tablets. Saw palmetto too may have some scientific backing, but it's clinically unproven. The same goes for PRP.

I must admit that I've been concerned that more and more physicians are offering PRP strictly to make money due to its increasing popularity in the hair loss communities rather than to collect the necessary clinical data required to obtain proof as to whether or not PRP is a useful treatment for hair loss.

Frankly, I think people are putting far too much emphasis on an experimental procedure. In my opinion, before standing in line for the procedure, wait to see if any real evidence that PRP is effective in treating hair loss becomes available.

Best wishes,

Bill

thanks bill. i appreciate your honesty and concern.

do you know how many doctors are collecting data on PRP for hairloss?

do you know of anyone collecting data on PRP with Acell's ECM material?

thanks again.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Shyguy,

I just know that a lof doctors are beginning to offer PRP, but I haven't heard anything about their motives in offering it. Note that I'm not accusing anyone in particular of less than ethical motives however, it concerns me to see an experimental procedure being offered for money to a crowd of balding men and women overly enthusiastic about a procedure without proof of efficacy.

Best wishes,

Bill