I am another victim of Advance Hair Studios 'Strand by Strand' treatment...

IAMSPARTICUS

I reiterate the comments of OP and others in this thread. Advanced Hair Studio takes the money of young men and in return supplies cheap wigs, crudely cut and then glue them to your head.

In Australia, the prices are exorbitant. I was charged 5000 Australian Dollars for a set of 4 wigs. That's right, over 1200 AUD per wig.

I will provide my experience at a later date in great detail. I am so incredibly angry about this company's practices that I want to reach as many people as I can about my story.

Before "AdvancedHairStudio" or "Chris Attrill" reply claiming that I am a competitor or other such nonsense, I assure you I am not. I am actually shocked at the sloppy, unprofessional responses Chris Attrill and other Advanced Hair Studio employees have posted here and other forums. For someone that is employed to be a Client Relations Officer, his confrontational and accusatory attitude is appalling, and is typical of the unprofessional behavior I experienced at Advanced Hair Studio.

For a company that is supposedly a market leader, they sure do spend a lot of time accusing others of defaming them.

More to come :-) For the record AHS, being spoken to by your studio manager as if your very presence is an annoyance is NOT good business practice.

• 3 weeks later...

To the above poster.

My name is Stephen Jeffery and I am the CEO of Advanced Hair Studio for Australia and New Zealand.

I invite you to write to me directly using this email address clientrelations@advancedhair.com.au and I will personally review and respond to your concern with the express aim of reaching an amicable resolution.

I will also make whatever changes are necessary internally to ensure that your experience is not repeated.

Thankyou.

Stephen Jeffery

CEO Australia and New Zealand

Advanced Hair Studio

• 2 months later...

If you want a concise summary of AHS's appalling attitude to any questioning of their products, have a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4C-nTcCJhw

I think my favorite quote comes right at the beginning of the video, where the unknown AHS spokesperson states:

"Hey, if you really want to know what's going on about hair loss, who you gonna believe? Some balding stooge that put out stuff for his own amusement? Some supposed experts that are answering questions about procedures that are patented, or have no access to real science behind them, or perhaps even for their own gain?"

I couldn't make this stuff up. The thousands I put into getting some cheap wigs crudely cut and glued to my head gives me the right to tell people what I think and question your pathetic business practices. Or am I just another "balding stooge"?

Advanced Hair Studio are nothing more than glorified hairdressers with a bit of glue, and they shouldn't represent themselves to be anything but that.

I tend to believe the many different voices on here so outraged as to post rather than a salesman pedalling a company line.

It wont help those that have handed over their hard earned cash for nothing but disappointing, but you can DIY it for a fraction of the cost and far far better results.

For example, I pay 310 a year for my hair system and cut in and manage it all myself from home.

Dont give up

Edited by grincher

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys.

I was quoted $4400 for Advanced hair studios strand by strand procedure.

I had no idea it was a rug. And that there are such significant ongoing expenses.

And going by the prices I am seeing on here, my quote was way to much.

I definite will reconsider my options. Perhaps a hair transplant in Thailand.

Saved me a bundle, and a lot of embarrassment.

Pays to do your research.

Cheers

Here’s my full story.

My crown started thinning in my late teens and by my early 20’s, I had very little hair on top at all. Not being the best looking guy, this was a serious blow to my self-esteem. So around 5 or so years ago my parents encouraged me to make an appointment at the local AHS studio.

So I did without knowing anything other than their advertising spiels. At the initial consultation the studio manager said that my hair was too thin to make laser treatment a viable solution. He then put a camera to my head in one of the sparse spots to show very few hair follicles and then in a dense spot to show the comparison. A clever ploy in softening me up. He played a couple of video clips on a PC that were purely AHS commercials, and suggested the Strand by Strand option. He explained that “strand by strand replacement” hair would be weaved “seamlessly” with my existing hair. I was quoted about $6,000AUD – plus $75 a pop for refittings, and their recommended shampoos. I didn’t argue with the price, however as I know now the pricing is arbitrary between customers.

At no point did he indicate that the system was a wig, that it would be glued to my head with literal glue, or that a large part of my good hair would be shaved back to plonk the wig on.

When the wig arrived, I was suitably surprised that so much of my existing hair was being shaved back. However I rolled with it. The wig was so incredibly thick, and the colour did not match very well at all. The 1st system was smaller than the rest to make a “gradual” transition to the AHS systems. By gradual there was a 100% increase in size between the 1st and 2nd systems. Go figure.

The first set of systems that I encountered had a rubber base that was very thick. A large wad of glue was spread over my head and a strip of thick tape encircled all but the front of the system. This always felt so uncomfortable and the adhesive would start to smell by the 2nd week after each refitting. On hot days the smell would make me sick.

The thick tape strip meant that where the side of the wig joined my normal hair, the hair fell over the side of the system to cover would sort of bubble out as it was not flush. It must have been so obvious to everyone else that I was wearing a wig. The edges were never seamless. Furthermore the waviness of my real hair never matched the wave profile of the wig, even when I requested that a wavier system be ordered.

The second set of systems had a mesh style of base rather than rubber. The idea is that you can see through to the scalp. However this created another set of problems. The thick tape could no longer be used, and instead they used a thin double sided clear tape. It was useless, and had a tendency deteriorate quickly and not stay in place. They slipped to the side of the wig and often created a sticky spot in the wig hair. The glue that went under the mesh would also break down and seep through the mesh, and make the wig hair sticky. More importantly, THE WIG DID NOT STAY IN PLACE AFTER 4 WEEKS!

The recommended "Carl Howell" shampoo's and conditioners are shit! They feel like cheap style shampoo's that don't actually break the surface tension of the water. I'd be ashamed to put my name to it, but whatever.

Beyond the problems with the systems, the studio was atrocious. The fitout was so old and cramped. The studio manager often looked dishevelled and sleep deprived. He was incredibly rude at times. There were never enough hairdressers on hand to deal with the number of people coming through the door, which was just not good enough for $75 every fitting. I mean, how can you not afford staffing with all the money coming in the door?

In the end I made a snap decision to stop using wigs and just shaved my head completely. Best decision I made. I estimate I spent over 20,000AUD with AHS. I know this is the hair restoration network, for me personally this was the best choice. Had I decided to continue different things, I probably would have gone down the minoxidil + generic propecia route.

Fuck you AHS. I've had my say now. I'm at peace.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I registered with this website because of all the negative stories I read about AHS. My story is not about the strand by strand method, but about the flashpoints.

About 10+ years ago I decided to have hair extensions put into my hair. My hair s naturally fine and thin and I basically wanted to add some length and body. I visited AHS for a consultation and decided to go for it. I liked the method they used since it seemed to be the safest and the one that would not cause any damage to my natural hair. With this method you buy strands of hair which is attached to you own hair. I chose the type of hair extensions myself which I did by means of a catalogue. At the time, it cost me over R10 000 for 200 flashpoints which was quite a lot of money, but it was well worth it. Maintenance was done every six weeks which at the time cost anything between R600 - R800, same price one would pay for your monthly visit to the hairdressing salon.

I had the extensions put in and was very satisfied. Apart from colouring the hair myself, I could do everything else as I would with my own natural hair. The extensions were very natural and nobody could tell the difference between the extensions and my own hair. It has been 10 years or more down the line and the hair is still in very good condition. I must admit that I have not used the hair for quite some years, but unlike other cheap extensions the hair can still be used and no one will no the difference. The quality of the hair is of a very high standard and extremely natural. If you take care of it, you can use it for years. For me the investment was really worth it.

I am really sorry about the bad experiences some of you might have had with AHS but my experience was nothing but pleasant and satisfying. And even after I have read all the negative comments, I will still recommend AHS to anybody who seeks advise about extensions - based on my own experience.

• 8 months later...

I am also a victim customer of AHS. A few years back paid a lot of money and was scammed into the laser hair treatment. first of all the studio manager was changing on a regular basis. so i was having to explain my circumstanecs and meet new people week by week. not nice when you were wanting to be discreat about it. then the studio was so badly organised, i was regularly double booked, so when i was turning up for my booked in oppointment there was some else there in my place and i got turned away quite a few times. then one magager asked if i would work on his car in return for free products from the shop eg. shampoo etc.. was i thought was an absolute joke. then i found out that the regular change of magers was due to them stealing money from the company in some way, maybe selling products and pocketing the money. so i had spent about 2,500 pounds gb. on laser treatment. i was then told i could upgrade to the high power laser at an additional 2,000 pound gb. which i sadly agreed to. which in my eyes made no differance what so ever..... after a long period of time using monoxidle provided by AHS i was then to discover the worst part about the story yet.... I started showing signs of ED. (unable to have an erection) after research i then found out that this was due to the monoxidil i was applying 2 times aday as reccommended by AHS. so at the age of 25 years old i was still as thining as when i started. 4,500 pound worse off with a ED problem. so now it was time for my treatments to come to an end as i had completed the treatment which i had paid for. as unhappy as i was i contacted the AHS Head office in the UK to explain my self of the service and new problems i had with AHS... only to be talked to by the person who deals with complants like a was some sort of idiot , she made it clear that there was no chance of any money back or anything they could do for me!..... If anyone wants my advice never set foot anywhere near any AHS . they are complete scam artists with no customer care what so ever. and as for laser treatment is a load of bull ! you will get the same results by using monoidil only without the laser. they also didnt tell me that i would have to use monoixdil for the rest of my life because when you stop using it you hair will return to the same state as before...... now i have seen AHS comment saying we have tryed to contact this person . we have offered this offered that... well im here if you want to offer me my money back !!!!!!!!!! if anyone whats to contact me feel free i have nothing to hide and this is 100 percent the truth !!!

• 1 month later...

Hi mate, I truly empathize with your situation. I have had similar but not as bad.

Its going to be a long and drawn out process with such dodgy operators.

Is there a quicker solution?

Can you dispute the transaction with your bank?

By the looks of it, you certainly haven't got what you paid for and you have been misled by their advertisements.

Itsonlyhair

Edited by Itsonlyhair
wrong section

Hi mate, I truly empathize with your situation. I have had similar but not as bad.

Its going to be a long and drawn out process with such dodgy operators.

Is there a quicker solution?

Can you dispute the transaction with your bank?

By the looks of it, you certainly haven't got what you paid for and you have been misled by their advertisements.

Itsonlyhair

Didn't Shane Warne and Jacques Kallis get treatments from AHS or do you think they got transplants from one of the elite guys and are simply being pimped out by AHS?

What I can see is too much focus on marketing. The focus should rather be on getting patients the best treatment they need.There will be a tipping point, when the amount of bad publicity simply cannot be managed with fake reviews or a massive marketing budget.

Product Quality is King!

Focus on the person that is actually going to perform the proceedure on you.

Do you know his/her qualifications?

what are his/her past results like?

Is he/she willing to let you connect with a few of his past patients?

I reckon, everything else is fluff!

Didn't Shane Warne and Jacques Kallis get treatments from AHS

Yes, they both had treatment at AHS

do you think they got transplants from one of the elite guys and are simply being pimped out by AHS?

Jacques Kallis didn't have a transplant - he's wearing a wig (hairweave)

I'm pretty sure the same goes for Warne

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I can relate to IAMSPARTICUS, 23 years ago today I had the same experience, paid $2000+ for what also ended up being a "crappy wig" glued on my head.

I felt terrible and after some debate I actually got a refund, well most of it if I recall.

I don't know how they are even still in business, they are deceptive and misleading in their advertising, absolute rogues!

Really a cheap wig would have been better, at least one could take it off at night and sleep well.

Don't be conned by these people, I still remember them well after 23 years!!

• 4 weeks later...
I can relate to IAMSPARTICUS, 23 years ago today I had the same experience, paid $2000+ for what also ended up being a "crappy wig" glued on my head.

I felt terrible and after some debate I actually got a refund, well most of it if I recall.

I don't know how they are even still in business, they are deceptive and misleading in their advertising, absolute rogues!

Very sorry and frustrated for people who got scammed for exorbitant prices :mad: Always look out for something that sounds too good to be true and promise you instant results....especially if they're charging so much! Go through enough good honest reviews on the product first before going for it. Stay well and alert everyone

Save