Not sure what to do....

I have a lot of scars on my head from my youth (middle of my head, side of head/crown, back of the head)

I am 26, I want to fix the problem sooner rather than later, I have been using Rogaine Foam, personally I don't think it's been working. I want to keep my hair short, shaved head/buzz cut

I have attached some pictures (sorry for the poor quality)...

What are my options? How many grafts I'm I looking at? Cost? Recommendations for doctors?

Also, I do not want scar in the back of the head like Jeremy Piven.

Edited by Bill - Managing Publisher

hi karl, when u mentioned scars, i suppose its not HT scars?

From the pictures, IMHO, i am a tad little concerned that u might not be a suitable candidate for HT... You see, you will need reasonably dense hair at the back of your head, which is the safe zone, meaning the hairs there are not subjected to MPB and not miniaturised. At your age of 26, your baldness is quite extensive and there is a long way ahead of u before your final balding pattern establishes itself. Have u been on finasteride? If not, i would strongly recommend that u start. Maybe u can even grow some hair! Also, i would also not recommend u to undertake FUT ( or strip surgery so to speak ) as your hair at the back might thin out and expose the scar

Lastly, i cannot see your facial structure from the pics but if i were u, i would at least try to shave it all bald to sport the Bruce Willis look :) who knows, it might look great!!!

Hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

-I was told I wouldn't look good bald also I have a lot of scars from cuts as a kid and I have a large head

-my hair from what I can tell is very thin

I have not been on finasteride, I have used Rogaine Foam

I am willing to do anything....

149769_813693359978_15715544_43601892_6868744_n.jpg.1ef677e313ffabb8f48c3d7876aa2161.jpg

If I were you....I would get on finasteride asap. After about 9-12 months re-assess your situation. You have a lot of lost hair to consider a HT at this time. See if finasteride re-establishes any dormant hairs. If you see hairloss stabilized then re-evaluate a HT in a years time.

Your first step is to see a recommended HT doc. Let me know if you have any questions.

I would also recommend finasteride. This is one step up from the Rogaine you have been using.

And yes, I agree that you hair does seem a little thin for a HT. I would NOT recommend that.

And your "scars" don't look bad at all! You look good.

But, definitely look into finasteride. There are plenty of resources here for that.

I see in the ny area...I would recommend feller, true, dorin, or Bernstein...

In terms of brand finasteride...it doesn't matter what brand as long as the active ingredient is finasteride...the rest is just filler. I would recommend to continue using rogaine. The combination of both will give you the best results.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

try to get a script for proscar. TEVA 5 mg fin is 9 bucks at Walmart for 30 pills, which is 4 months worth. Consult a doc. Your head is not 1/10th as jacked up as mine and I would trade you any day. My loss is not as severe as your though...for now. Baldness is a waiting game that is not very predictable at all. A doctor may do surgery on you but he would likely only do it while placing hairs assuming that you will be a NW6. Meaning, unfortunatelly, you should never expect to have a full head of hair unless something new comes out. That is why fin is important if you have any hair you on top that you want to keep. Something better may come along and you will have that hair to work with, Personally, I would shave it tight (maybe not shaved), grow some scruff and hit the gym. Chicks dig scars and once a woman hits 30 they usually dont care if a guy is balding.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Doctor subscribed me, fin 5mg, taking half the pill per day as prescribed too (I have been on it a month). I just started using Nizoral shampoo two times per week. I've used rogaine foam and now the generic liquid (been on it for a year plus).

I haven't noticed much results, month seems short but I've seen a few hairs sprout where there was no hair before.

How long till I see results, should I take the 5mg per day, do I need to use rogaine still, and do I need to start using baby shampoo?

karlracki,

Are you taking 1/2 of a 5mg pill daily? If so, that is much too high a dose. Propecia is only 1mg. Those of us that purchase the 5mg finasteride pill typically quarter it for a 1.25mg. dose.

You should take finasteride for up to one year before assessing your results. I recommend that you also continue to use Rogaine as these drugs work synergistically. In other words, the effect of each drug may be enhanced when used together.

You do not need to use baby shampoo but I would continue to use Nizoral two to three times per week.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 4 weeks later...

karlracki,

Just over a month is much too early to see noticeable results. Keep using it for 4 to six months before assessing its benefits.

Good luck!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

• 3 months later...

Update...Started using half of 5mg finastride daily roughly six months ago and nizoral non-perscription (2x a week) five months ago...

Should I begin to use minoxidil, what percent? 5%? Does the brand matter?

Anyone see improvement in my pictures? I noticed small blonde hairs, peach fuzz in the front...Any thoughts?

5b32ce3d6f461_photo(4).jpg.616fd226ef3dbae6a469d5a0142cc7ad.jpg

5b32ce3d7beef_photo(6).jpg.9b71b26b4ce39234fbe9f8d7b19a1c48.jpg

5b32ce3d8a0fc_photo(10).jpg.7e9490292aec889bc54e2855f1707b58.jpg

5b32ce3dabfc4_photo(11).jpg.2a7d816d23410824ca58ade27e4f8df7.jpg

Edited by justlooking1

• 2 weeks later...

karlracki,

I do recommend adding 5% minoxidil to your regimen. The brand makes no difference. You may also want to start quartering your 5mg pills. Currently you are taking more than twice the recommended dose for treating hair loss.

Given the color and length of your hair, I can't tell if you've had any improvement.

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

Update...Started using half of 5mg finastride daily roughly nine months ago and nizoral non-perscription (2x a week) nine months ago...

Anyone see improvement in my pictures? I noticed a few long hairs in the front, small blonde hairs, peach fuzz in the front...Any thoughts?

I may give up :mad:

Not sure where to go from here, I don't see much improvement in the front

IMG_0328.jpg.5710ecefc724fb1e8cbc8032b590676b.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg.c269a9eb1c9cfe1fa1b138ba338ecb66.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg.b33848b3bf4c5ec93c9f17f79f701ca2.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg.33b0da565a34f01dd7ba943f02ff269e.jpg

Use 1.25 mg Fin a day, 5% Minoxidil twice a day, and Nizoral 2 times a week. That seems to be the optimum combo. Taking 2.5 mg of Fin a day is just wasting it, believe me. You may also want to add a Biotin supplement. Some docs on here recommend it.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Stay on the fin. It's done well for you. You still have a lot of hair to keep.

From what it looks like it seems you have pretty healthy donor hair - so I think you'd make an excellent HT candidate. Start consulting with the best.

In the meantime, some concealers might go a long way for you with your hair at that length. Look into dermmatch and toppik/nanogen.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 months later...

Research and consult with several reputable HT docs. Let them evaluate you and recommend a treatment plan, if any. If youre committed to wearing your hair short, maybe consider the nonsurgical option of scalp micropigmentation. Its not for everyone but it may be right for you. Good luck.

It would be great if you could grow more hair. I can't really tell from the previous photos they are difficult to compare (all different hair lengths), but the good and most important news is that it doesn't really look like its got any worse.

I think the most realistic thing expectation you can have for the medication is it for to stop or slow the loss/ stabilize. Any regrowth would be a bonus. If you don't have any side effects and you can afford taking the meds you should probably keep it up.

Consult with some of the surgeons on this site and see what they say.