Surgery with Dr. Wong next week

razor

Razor,

The scar looks to be pretty good actually but the hair above and below is thin. I can tell the scar is narrow because the actual incision line is easily visible. This confirms, to me anyway, that this is temporary donor shock and your donor scar in general is unremarkable. If the photo had a bit more focus I could tell more.

I do see however a spot of scabbing in the left rear area of your donor scar that should be addressed. You should let the shower stream soak this area for a few minutes at least once a day and apply a topical antibiotic ointment to the area to help speed the healing. You can use the bactroban ointment that we may have given you or pick up some neosporin at your drugstore.

Keep in mind that Dr. Wong will give the final say on this but I'm just giving my opinion which may be different than that of Dr. Wong.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, right now I'm in the middle of the worst period. Tomorrow will be exactly 6 weeks since surgery. Should I be seeing black dots all over that look like blackheads? I see a few here and there but not many

Hang in there razor. There's no doubt that the first 3 months really suck. I remember having the redness linger on into the 2nd month and looking more bald than before the procedure. But by month 4 I had friends telling me that my hair never looked better. Things will get better.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Just be happy that you went to one of the best... that should be reassuring during the difficult times.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I started using toppik about 2-3 weeks after my surgery. My post op instructions said it was ok to use it but to always wash it out before I went to bed. But my question is will the toppik inhibit hair growth by clogging the follicles? It binds to the hair, but some of it does get on the scalp.

• 1 month later...

well here I am at about 3 months. I am thinner than I was before surgery, so I don't know what's going on. I know it's still early, but I'm hoping I will turn the corner soon. :confused:

I've noticed that some people already show some descent growth at 3 months. I must not be one of those.

IMAG0491.jpg.c44a7ee88d894e0465f0a07f65ff533c.jpg

How do you use Toppix? Does it look ok or does it look like someone sprinkled soil on your head?

HT #1 Unknown Butcher (1998)

Total about 1500

-------------------------------------------------------------

HT #2 Dr. Alexander (2011)

687 - Singles

1672 - Doubles

10 - Multis

Total 2369

Rogaine Foam

Nizoral

Proscar

Razor,

At three months you shouldn't even begin to think about growth. It is true that some patients do see varying levels of activity at this point but they are far away from the norm when compared to what most patients experience on average. What I believe you are experiencing is referred to as the "ugly duckling phase". The way I usually describe it is the process of your hair taking ten steps backward before it takes 100 steps forward. I feel strongly that you can move forward with the knowledge that your hair WILL look better but it will require some additional patience on your end.

Regarding Toppik, with mild use there should not be any issues. However, I am now convinced that Dermatch is the devil. I am writing this from Madrid, Spain and was in Rome last week visiting patients. A young man came in to see us (Dr. Hasson/Doug/myself) and was in need of repair. Among his various problems we noticed what appeared to be very large black dots or "blackheads" in his recipient scalp. It turned out that these were areas of congested Dermatch that clogged the pore and trapped a hair. These areas of his scalp were experiencing a low grade infection that, when pressed, released a small balled up hair and small amounts of pus. I actually have some HD video that I took to share as an educational video.

Hang in there Razor. Things will begin to improve shortly.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jo,

I hope you're right, but I am skeptical. In 1998 I had about 500 graphs and they grew in rapidly, I would say within 3 months. I just hope what little has grown in is not the final result, but it seems that way.

As for toppik, I use just a tiny amount, just to thicken what little I have. A 30 day supply usually lasts me 6-8 months.

I'll post another photo in 2-3 weeks.

Hi Razor, i was just curious. how long was your scalp red? I am 5 weeks post op from a 3000 graft session with Dr. Wong. all my work was done in the front like yours. It was my first HT. I have pretty much shed most of my recipient hair but my scalp is still red. It is diminishing slowly. I was just curious because you went back to work without a hat. Did they comment on the redness of your scalp? Also i agree with you about the staples. They were pretty uncomfortable. It was a great day when i got them out!

Nebs

The redness in my recipient area went down quickly. As advised by Dr. Wong to ensure proper healing, I took and am still taking a liquid vitamin B complex vitamin. I would say after the 7th day, I had no more redness in the recipient area however it's a different story for the donor area. It's still red! Not paintful just pinky red.

I did go to work one week after surgery and w/o a hat. It was the week of Thanksgiving so thankfully (no pun intended) the office was deserted.:D

Thats exact opposite of me. I am still fairly red in the recipient area but my donor scar is almost invisible. I have been taking B complex vitamins to although in pill form. I am also taking MSM. Also my donor area isnt painfull....but.....it is still tender and sometimes pretty itchy. At my work i can and usually always wear a hat, so, its no big deal, but if i didnt wear a hat i think people would definitely know something was up because of the redness.

you can wear a hat to work? Like I've said in other posts, wearing a hat to work only magnifies the problem. People are going to wonder why is this guy wearing a hat? gee maybe he had a lobotomy.

people aren't that naive man.

:cool:

Do you work in a fast food restaurant?

Edited by razor
forgot something

I have always worn a hat to work. I work in construction and i only work with two other guys. As a matter of fact they have never even seen me without a hat. So its not that they are naive....if i came to work WITHOUT a hat they would immediately look right at my head which would draw attention to the fact that its red. I guess i shouldnt have used the word Usually when i said "i usually wear a hat to work" i should have said "i have ALWAYS worn a hat to work"

don't know where to start a new post. I have a simple question. does anyone know if its normal to not shed hair after 1 month on their second HT. On my first HT I shedded alot of my hair on the third week. I was thinking this is my second HT maybe my hair got used to. I want to know if anybody has that problem of not shedding on their second HT. thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have completely run out of proscar. Dr. Wong cannot prescribe me any because I live in the states. Any suggestions? I could order it off the internet, but is that safe?

Thanks

razor,

I don't know if I'm just lucky but I've recently been to both my GP and my dermatologist and upon mentioning that I was taking finasteride, they each offered to give me a prescription for it if I needed one. I thought that was pretty cool. In fact, my dermatologist even asked me if I was taking actual Propecia or if I was quartering Proscar to save money.

I was pleasantly surprised.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 5 months later...