Working in an office after HT

First of all THANK YOU for this website and forum, I am learning so much about the whole HT process.

I never realised that I may need to shave my head during the HT process. This presents a problem for me as I work in an office, where a hat is not an option. Also, as an independant consultant I don't get paid unless I come into work - it's quite an earnings hit to take especially when the cost of HT is considered too.

I always thought I could get back to work with a few days, but it appears that's not the case. At the most I wouldn't want to be off work for more than 2 weeks.

I understand that every case is different, but have any of you managed to get back into an office work environment at the 2 week stage, without a hat (or any kind of head covering)?

physicaly you could return to work with in a week after a HT....

but if your worried about people realising then im afraid its alot longer than 2 weeks

in my case for example i suffered shock loss of the recipient and donar area around the scar!!!

im now at 4 months out and im sure people would still notice infact sometimes shockloss around the scar in some cases do not grow back untill after the 4 months mark and mine is just starting to fill in now at 4 months!!!!!!!!

how ever fue is an option but again you will have to shave down by 2 weeks you may be able to pull it off with concealer!!

but i have to be honest and say that if you wear your hair long as you can to cover the worked on areas and scar/strip and use a concealer like toppik then id say you may be able to pull it off after 2months!!!!

but in my case ive had to hide away for 5months due to the shock loss etc etc as i cant have any one knowing and im afraid as it stands with the shockloss issue around the scar they would know easy...

dr hasson my dr and many forums members assure me shock loss is not a permanent issue..... but never the less it takes alot longer to resolve than many other issue.... ive already experianced some growth of the transplanted follicles............. at 4 months but as mentioned above the shock loss has only started to fill in!!!

so if you get shock loss then things may be a while untill you can go in to work if you are worried about people knowing!!!!!

:D

It will be extremely hard to conceal a transplant for months after the procedure. I went to work a week after with no issues. I was able to wear a hat though. Luckily for me I only worked an additional 2 weeks, then was laid off so I've been taking it easy ever since.

I'm a month out and still living life under the cap. I could have shave my head entirely, which probably would have helped conceal the transplant, but the shaved head look isnt really my look and I'm hoping the hair behind will grow long enough to cover the front.

How big of an area are you trying to have covered? Not all docs require a shave.

Edited by YouOnlyLiveOnce

the majority of docs who utilise lateral slit method such as feller,h&W and the majority of docs who do dense packed sessions require to shave down so they can directly follow the natural angles of the hairs etc etc how ever alot of docs still use sagital method which has the same yields in hair growth but doesnt always require a shave down due to the fact there is less chance of transection etc etc as the grafts are placed parralel to existing hairs which reduces the risk of comprimising vascularity there for hair can be kept alot longer! and dr alexander seems to be one of the best docs ive seen for getting good results with both sagital and lateral methods of implantation whilst keeping long hair in the reipient site i recomend looking at his patient websites posted by patients on this forum! and also look at a link to a thread i made entitled the undetectable hair transplant bellow!!!!

hope this helps

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158178-undetectable-hair-surgery.html

:D

I myself came across this dilemma and spex said this, remember wat u need, not wat u want. I m more of a believer that shaving should present an easier job for the Doc and the techs. My doc said this, imagine kayaking through a swamp or open river. I am not sure if his example is accurate but u get his point. Its so much tougher for the team to plant with all your existing hair blocking. For me, i would rather risk looking weird for a while rather than risk having sub par results. Bear in mind that i am not equating non- shaving with bad results, but i just want to be cooperative to achieve the end results i desire. We always say we do not want this and that, but we want optimum results. Once again, bear in mind, remember wat u need and not wat u want!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I think the whole HT head shave thing is much easier said than done. I was lucky that for both of my HTs, I did not have to shave and in fact returned to work in 2 weeks both times without anyone ever being able to notice a thing. I was a Norwood 4 or maybe even 5 with some diffuse whispy hairs still hanging onto my scalp. Dr. Konior indicated he pretty much requires shaving for anything over 2500 grafts but he put in 2800 on my first pass (thanks doc!) without shaving and the remaining diffuse hair I had left hid any evidence of my transplant after two weeks. My crown transplant (2400 grafts) was even better as that area is less visible. I had a few crusties up there and a little redness when I came back to work after two weeks but no one could really see it. By three weeks, I was back to pre-HT condition. So I pulled off two HTs with no one ever the wiser (although people are now certainly confused! How in the hell did my hair start growing again? : )

For people who are desperate to keep their HT a secret, and that seems to be the prevailing wish by most, having a semi-shaved head with a nasty smiley scar in the back and a red puffy scalp with funny little stubby hairs growing out (only to then fall out after a few weeks, further adding to one's temporary misery) is a pretty hard hit. For those who can hide for several months, that's obviously the way to go. In that case, yes, clear the path for the doc and then go hide. However, for most, hiding away or wearing a hat for several months is just not an option. You either have to just take a deep breath and get ready for a rough couple of months or get lucky like me and have a situation where you do not need to be shaved down. My two HTs were highly successful, by the way, and have changed my life (I'm 5 mos post-op my second HT and loving it). I'd consult with several recommended physicians and thoroughly discuss the pros and cons of shaving and then make the decision that you can live with. For those who have chosen shaving (or have no choice), I've seen some spectacular results, so clearly the reward can be well worth the initial hit. Good luck on your journeys!

I also agree with WB above. Except rather than the canoe analogy, imagine trying to read your computer screen and touch specific letters if the screen was covered with spaghetti and sauce (hair and blood). It would be tough. On the other hand reading a clean screen or placing densely in a clean scalp, is easy and accurate.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Lindsey, i think your analogy is more acute :) I mean, patients always want optimum results but unwilling to forsake inconvenience. To me, it is like tying up the doc's hands and demanding for results. Tao, i know it aint easy, i mean i went thru the whole thing myself. However, HL is a very big issue for me ( and prob for all of us here ) hence i dun see why some inconvenience would hamper dilemma into doing it unless HL is not such a big issue to him in the first place :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I am on Day 13 after 2060 FU's. The front part of my hair is shaved. I actually cut my hair quite short as I thought it would look more odd. I under estimated the appearance issues and thought what the hell, just do it. Then after the surgery i was fretting a bit. I went in to my office on 6th day. I wore a cap. It was the facial swelling that was more of an issue and harder to hide. Problem is the more you hide and do strange things like where a cap (not normal for me in my office) the more attention you bring. In the end I think you got to say what the hell to what people think. That's not to say I don't check the mirror 5 times a day to see if it's less obvious. Personally I think shorter hair (not too short) can disguise it better.

I understand what yer saying wb and I understand Dr. Lindsey. I'm just saying that going around looking like bozo the clown with a very red head for several months is a pretty tough road for some. We all can't go and hide for months or have the option of wearing a hat at the office. I was lucky in that I didn't have too. I think in my case, there was not a lot of native hair to work around so it wasn't a big deal. For those with lots of native hair, shaving probably is a necessity for optimal results. And clearly everyone wants optimal results after shelling out so much dough and going through all the inconvenience of a HT.

Edited by Tao

I don't know....I just think with today's instruments that the docs and techs could do just fine with a non-shaved head. Maybe it is easier for a doc to get it done shaved....I do believe that....but I want to go to a doc that is good enought to confidently give me an option. Especially if you are going to an expensive doc....I would want one with the skills and drive to give me what I wanted.

Just my 2 cents

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.