5229 Grafts by Dr. Rahal

Cant decide

Hi All - I had my first transplant with Dr. Rahal on Oct 14, 2010. Needless to say, it was a very positive expierience and the entire staff did an amazing job in every way. We were shooting for 4500 grafts but the good doc said he would try and get as much as he could. He ended up getting 5229 and could have gotton over 6000 but stopped short of excising ear to ear since he knew financially, I did not want to go over 5000 if possible. I was shocked at my donor density to say the least. The front 1/3, midscalp and part of the vertex were covered and I was told I still have another 5000 grafts at least to take from in future procedures if needed. The breakdown was as follows:

543 ones

2752 twos

1839 threes

95 fours

11994 total hairs

Thanks to Dr. Rahal, Adrian, Mike, and the rest of the talented techs who worked on me during this marathon procedure. You guys are truely a class act.

I will see about posting pics in the near future.

All the best

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Cant Decide, glad you had a great experience. I am also going to have surgery with Dr. Rahal in the future. I know you went for strip, I am doing FUE. Really would like to see your progress and results. 5229 grafts is a lot, and having 5000 more available for later is amazing. What were you on norwood? Hope it turns out great, good luck!

Let me add a few more details for those interested. I am 38 and a NW4-5 (closer to a 5 I would say). The decision to have this done has been 10 years in the making and I am glad I took all that time to come to my decision; dodging a couple of bullets along the way. I am currently on Propecia, Rogain, Nizoral Shampoo, and MSM. I did about 30+ min of laxity excersizes a day for 5 weeks prior to surgery which Dr. Rahal said helped in giving me a very laxed scalp allowing for a good size strip while still getting a closure with minimal tention on board. The proecure from the time I walked into the office to the time I left was about 12 hours long. I went in for post op follow ups the next two days and then went on my way home to the U.S.

Take Care

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Cant decide,

Good for you! It sounds like you're going to have an amazing transformation. I hope you will post some pics so we can follow your progress.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

It sounds like "can't decide" decided on Dr. Rahal. I've been reading very good things about him and sounds like you had a great experience. That is what counts.

Can't wait to see the results. Keep us posted.;)

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

• 2 weeks later...

In the interest of keeping this thread updated, I went to have my sutures removed today at Dr. Rahal's office. I drove eight hours from the US but felt it was worth it since I would rather know first hand my progress instead of having a local clinic remove the sutures who would offer no opinion. Mike did a great job making sure they were carefully removed with no pain at all. The scar is healing nicely and even though it’s early, there is no sign of stretching at all. The recipient area has some major crusts and valleys but less than Mike had thought would be the case due to the size of my surgery. I am really glad that I get to shower now and look forward to getting all of these crusts off. I have some minor numbness in the donor area which is normal and no donor tightness to speak of. I have shed a few hairs but I would say that over 80% are still intact. I am sure most will fall out along with the scabs.

Dr. Rahal came in to check me out and spent 30 minutes answering more of my questions; Some of which he already answered earlier :). I must say, he is very patient and accommodating and does not make you feel rushed in the slightest.

I know you all like to see pics and I give allot of credit to those who document with pics from the beginning but I prefer to start posting pics once I start to see some progress. Therefore, I will post some pics at that time. I still think it’s useful to share these experiences with the group to help those wondering about going for a large procedure with Dr. Rahal. I must say, he and his techs were able to handle it with ease and actually could have done a few hundred more as well.

Now I just need to figure out how I am going to return to the office in 4 weeks coming up with some clever story; suggestions are welcome.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

That is a healthy hair count!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

CD, thanks for the review and congrats on the surgery.

Regarding photos, be sure to take some for your own reference. Good clear pics showing the graft placement immediately post-op can be very helpful for your own future reference. And monthly progress pics can also be useful because it's not always easy to see progress when it happens over a period of months.

So please take photos and share them when you feel ready.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

• 2 months later...

I thought that I would provide a three month update (Actually three months and about a week).

1. Hair growing in nicely. It is growing in pretty evenly which is good. It will take time for the density to come in by it gets thicker each day. I can’t wait to see where I am at in a couple of months.

2. The work was impeccable. There is absolutely no sign that anything was done to the top of my head (No redness, pitting, etc). Maybe a slight red tinge in some lighting but thats about it.

3. Numbness: In the recipient area, went away at about 7 weeks. Still have a little in the donor area along with some tenderness. However, it is minimal and dissipating day by day.

4. Shock loss: This has been the worst part for me. I had allot of shock loss in the donor area as well as the recipient area. The recipient area hair that was weak, never really came back (nor did I expect it to) but the other hair in the recipient area which I was keeping my fingers crossed would come back since it was fairly strong has 75% returned and I am hoping that even more comes back. The donor area shock loss was pretty bad but has been coming in over the last couple of weeks. I am confident that it will fully return over the next couple of months.

Scar: As far as I can tell, the scar looks great. Redness pretty much gone and pretty thin.

Overall, I am very pleased so far and feel that I am right where I should be. I could have done without the shock loss but as I said, it is getting much better. I am surprised at just how natural it looks. I knew it would look natural but the placement of the hairline and the way the hair is growing would never give anyone the slightest clue of what was done. Dr. Rahal and the team did a great job. I will keep my fingers crossed in the coming months.

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Congrats buddy, 5229 WOW, and still have more Amo (grafts) for another battle (surgery)..Propecia, Rogaine, Nizoral Shampoo, and MSM, my oh my, you are well equipped, very good .. Dont worry about shock loss atleast you got your lost ones back, mine broke up with me for good because of the bad technique that my previous surgeon used. All the best and luck, My turn is coming soon to be in that chair to be fixed up...The bottom line is 'Once you go RAHAL u will get it ALL"..

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hey Can't Decide, I'm with you on Donor Shock Loss (your bullet #4)... I just past the 2 month mark on the 23rd with a ~4900 graft session and my donor shock loss is pretty nasty on both side. It makes me happy that at 3 months you are seeing things getting better in that area, I still find it concerning to touch skin with no feelings of hair popping out. Let's hope this month bring hair there. For the rest, my Story is like yours! It’s the one thing I have been obsessing about.

HFlynn - I know what you mean about obsessing :)) Its easy for me to say now but just hang in there. Now that the donor is getting better, I dont even think about it anymore. It is still not fully grown back but its getting there and yesterday was the first day I felt fine leaving the house without some dermatch on it. Its funny how when you look at it each day, you dont realize anything is happening and you get bummed but then boom, you realize it has gotton better and you wonder how you did not notice along the way. I think the growth on top is the same way!!!

Good luck with everything!!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

• 5 weeks later...

I am 4.5 months and thought that I would provide a quick update. My hair continues to grow in nicely and pretty even although some areas are a bit ahead of others. It is considerably fuller and more mature than it was at my last update of 3.25 months. At this stage, I am looking much better than pre-surgery and very pleased so far; especially for being at 4.5 months. I am anticipating more density which I am sure will come with time. I just came back from a 12 day international business trip and my wife could not believe how much it has filled in just the 12 days that I have been gone. In terms of growth time, I believe that I am not a particularly fast grower (Ala Epileptic Skeptic, Eman, etc) and nor am I slow. I think I am about average and where I should be at this stage.

The shock loss I wrote about previously is essentially a non issue at this point as the previously shocked hair continues to grow and lengthen. The donor numbness and tenderness is 90% gone with some still lingering. This should go away over the next month or two.

The naturalness is pretty amazing actually and exceeded my expectations. The hairline placement and design is perfect for me.

I am thinking about making the drive out to see Dr. Rahal at the six month point to get some pics taken, thank him, and get his feedback on my progress.

Thanks and any questions, just ask.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

How much does Dr Rahl cost per graft i see him doing some great work lately and may consider him now?

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• 1 month later...

I thought that I would provide my 6 month update (Actually 6 months and a week). In short, I am very happy with my results. The density is very good and it looks completely natural. The hairline is amazing. The two areas that have been lagging are behind the right hairline and the right crown “Dip”. However, the area behind the hairline has been making a move as of late. The previously lagging area of my left hairline has mostly caught up with the right. If my progress ended now, I would have reached my goal so I am relieved. When I look in the mirror straight on, turn left, turn right, and put my head down (While still looking at myself), It really looks like I have a pretty full head of hair (And I was a NW 5!!!). However, the “Birds eye” view and from the back shows the thinning crown which of course did not bother me nearly as much before but now that the rest has been addressed, is starting to really bother me J

I am going to see Dr. Rahal at the 12 month mark so he can take a look and we can discuss the game plan. The original plan, which I think I will want to stick with, was to address the back a few years down the road. This is partly because it just makes the most sense from my own personal hair loss perspective but also because I just don’t have it in me right now to go through the down time and emotional roller coaster again. Dr. Rahal estimates that I have about 5000 grafts left and my laxity and donor density is excellent (About 2.3 hairs per graft and likely 110 per sq cm) so I could easily just dive into the crown now and get a pretty full look but as much as I hate the crown, I think it would be wise to wait and see how I progress. I am on Proscar and Rogain. I really want to make sure I guard against the crown perimeter falling too much or the temples going. To me, I would rather have insurance against those then fix the center crown circle I have to view as the “Lowest priority”. It is most important to me that I look good from the front, right, and left side and the only way to see the crown would be from the back or with my head down. The back has not dropped too far down so I am in ok shape in that regard. I am going to let my hair lengthen since I believe that those of us with advanced hair loss and have had HT, need to make length, layering, and styling work for us as much as possible.

The scar is a total non issue. At shorter lengths, you can’t see the scar but the appearance of “Hat head” persists but 99% of people would never notice.

Thanks for reading. If any prospective Dr. Rahal patients want to contact be, please feel free.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Mate do you seriously not have any photos yet at 6 months post op?

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Fair enough guys. I have not posted pictures because I am a very private person and never wanted to do that. But, I do understand that you want to see what I am talking about. Here is the dreaded before pic taken at Dr. Rahal's office the day of surgery and the other two were taken a few minutes ago. Again 6 months and 1 week. I aplogize for the quality as it is hard to take pics of yourself.

IMG_4081.jpg.349d684bf8c194c7c80e5a18a5df651a.jpg

5b32cd6c5165b_Hair0021.jpg.eda502ca62f60f62a0cb529cb7921ff5.jpg

5b32cd6cc1228_Hair0031.jpg.5e680feeb665433d15586ace81ee2724.jpg

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Amazing transformation!!!

I am just over four months post-surgery with Dr. Rahal and I have had a noticeable cosmetic improvement too. But seeing your pics makes me realise the best is yet to come.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick 8 month update. I am about a week shy of 8 months and my results are pretty amazing. The naturalness is a total non issue as is the density. The density is literally 50% better than I expected it to be and is a total non issue. The scar simply cannot be found. I am sure its there but it takes some effot to find it. I don’t even think about the front third and mid anymore. I actually don’t really look like I am losing hair from the front and side and I was a NW 5.

Now comes the crown. It never bothered me before but of course now that the rest has been restored, it really bugs be. I would not need the entire crown filled in (Its not that big anyway) but if I could get the perimeter solid and a very light coverage in the center, I would be very happy. Dr. Rahal told me I have another 5000 grafts in the bank which he could get 3k from in the next surgery and then another 2k in a third.

I always told myself that I would hold out as long as possible to do a second and this first one has definitely done its job. I think in the end, I will wait to see what the crown decides to do as I am on meds but if it either totally stabilizes over the next couple of years or totally goes bad, I may dive into a second.

It sure is tempting to use some of those 5000 grafts now though. Actually, the density from my first procedure is so good at 8 months, that I kind of wish I backed off and went for more coverage. Keep in mind that the area Dr. R covered with the 5229 was massive anyway and there was no way for me to know the density would have been this good. I think the fact that I has allot of 3 hair grafts helped. If I had known, I would have liked to use 750 or so of the 5229 to work further back a bit.

I am tempted to use Nanogen on the crown for now but I dont want to "Go back there". I used toppik on the top for many years and always felt like I was a slave to it. Now that I dont have to use any on the top, I feel like if I use it on the crown, I will become dependant again and I just dont want to do that. This first surgery has been so liberating and made me feel like I took back some control that giving that up again is somthing I am not ready to do. Then of course I say to myslef, why not use such a product if it makes you feel better but I can bring myself to use it again. I think those who have used or use a concealer can relate.

Anyway, thanks to Dr. Rahal for another amazing job.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts