Most underrated docs

TC17

I don't want this topic to turn into anything ugly, but I think it would be interesting if everyone would list some doctors that they feel are performing GREAT work that may not get their proper due on this forum. It seems that H&W, Feller, Rahal, R. Shapiro, and more recently, Konior, are the ones always being mentioned. Nothing is at all wrong with that, and each of those names have earned their spot at the top with dozens of great results, but I think that we can expand that list.

I think Paul Shapiro is underrated. Looking at his results, I can't really tell a difference between his work and that of his brother, yet for whatever reason he is not mentioned in the same breath as Ron. I also really like the work of Dr. Arocha, Dr. Keene, Dr. Alexander, and if Dr. Parsley keeps putting out results like we've seen, I would put him there as well.

Thoughts?

I don't want this topic to turn into anything ugly, but I think it would be interesting if everyone would list some doctors that they feel are performing GREAT work that may not get their proper due on this forum. It seems that H&W, Feller, Rahal, R. Shapiro, and more recently, Konior, are the ones always being mentioned. Nothing is at all wrong with that, and each of those names have earned their spot at the top with dozens of great results, but I think that we can expand that list.

I think Paul Shapiro is underrated. Looking at his results, I can't really tell a difference between his work and that of his brother, yet for whatever reason he is not mentioned in the same breath as Ron. I also really like the work of Dr. Arocha, Dr. Keene, Dr. Alexander, and if Dr. Parsley keeps putting out results like we've seen, I would put him there as well.

Thoughts?

The Brazilian doc..Tykocinski(spelling?)...seems to do work that'd merit his name getting mentioned in the same breath of several others who get more fanfair.

Same for Dr. Nakatsui....should really post more so it's not so much speculative as to whether he is "underrated" and he can simply get a consistent standing reflecting his work. His documentation also is in the upper 1s percentile.

And I think Konior is still a bit underrated, though he's in the midst of a PR upswing! Same for Dr. Arocha.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Fun question. I started looking at this site several months back trying to pick a doc for my 2nd procedure. It is not an easy task...I have looked at numerous HT pics done by the docs listed on this site. All have looked pretty amazing making my decision very difficult. You are right...the ones you listed are very popular on here but I looked at many of the others and all seem to be doing excellent work. In the end, I decided to go with Dr. Cooley (13 days and counting). Back to the question...IMO, Dr. Gabel and Dr. True seem to be doing really great stuff and I don't see them mentioned that often.

I will post my pics in the coming months.

Randy

No doubt Dr. True. I am one of the few persons on here to have 3 surgeries with one doctor and there certainly is a reason for it.

I put my results with anyone else in the world

And thats no BS

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Ya, I meant to include DR. Gabel, as well, but forgot to type it in when I was thinking over my answer. He badly needs to post more frequently, though.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

thana I totally agree with you on Dr. Tykocniski. Dr. Nakatsui has posted some really great results, but I haven't seen enough of his work just yet. I never looked at Dr. Gabel, but I will now. I think Dr. Reed in La Jolla has also posted some outstanding results as well.

What are we here for, if to not express our opinions...very good thread....icon_smile.gif

Anyways, I almost included this in my first post, and on 2nd thought I think I definitely should: *H&W. Their unparalleled transparency in showcasing results, and showcasing them on a consistent basis, is pretty much flawless. It almost transcends the entire industry, IMO. They get mentioned in every "top doc" list, but until more people catch up on this front I don't think they can be commended enough for it.

*ya, graft count issue, which may or may not even be an issue, but eithery way it has zero bearing on the actual quality of work demonstrated, and in the red meat of any result...the actual pictures/video/etc. being shown.

-----------

I'm having my procedure done by Dr. Arocha and am very excited. I must say Dr. Verret in a few years' time may be one to reckoned with. I visited with him also but decided to go with Arocha. He has done many physicians' lately and saw two of his immediate results which looked excellent. He is out of his facial plastics fellowship about two or so years so give hime time.

This is an interesting and in my opinon, very important topic. There are a few physicians who usually receive the glowing accolades, and trust me, they've earned their hard earned reputation. However, there are several others that shine brightly that are seldom recognized - many of which, you have acknowledged on this thread.

In my opinion, surgeons recommended on the Hair Transplant Network are all doing quality work. We all have our favorites for different reasons, but in the end, selecting a surgeon should come down to the kind of work they consistently perform and their quality of patient care.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Cooley for one, along with some others mentioned.

In my view, Dr. Cooley is remarkable for his desire to help individual patients improve what they have. What I mean is, sometimes a doc can place the transplant in ways that might not be best for the patient, but would look better in the short run. I'm not accusing any, but figure it's possible.

For example, he could've easily convinced me to leave my larger plugs in and added around them and I'd look thicker probably.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

As Bill said, this is a very interesting and important topic.

My suggestion is why not suggest doctors who are not Coalition doctors, but are doing very good work, and by so doing, we can move them closer to being one day recommended as a Coalition doctor.

take care...

Finding those doctors would be very difficult. Practically all doctors who perform transplants have great results on their websites, so I'm not sure I understand how we can find non recommended doctors.

Well, there you go TC, already you have an unrated doctor whom you have seen the results of, so by you volunteering this information, we now know of a doctor that does good work but is under rated (or unrated).

I have personally had surgery with a non Coalition doctor, and the results, I think are good.

Perhaps this topic needs another thread; Non-Coalition doctors that do good work.

Just a thought.

take care...

But I have also heard very bad things about him as well. Plus, me seeing two patients of his in person is a microscopic sample size of his body of work, and I do not feel comfortable in putting him down on this post. For that reason I am going to edit my initial post and remove his name. It's nothing against him, it's just that I do not feel that I am in the position to toss out names like I did with my limited knowledge.

I also like the work of Dr. Beehner too. I appreciate that he has the balls to post numerous examples of patients who were NW 7's. If you can work your magic on a NW 7, you can certainly do the same on a NW 3.

Azn_guy_001,

When I was researching this site looking for a HT surgeon, I found Dr. Cooley received quite a bit of recognition a couple of years ago but...not as much lately. After visiting his office and reviewing his photo albums, he has many outstanding results. I had my HT with him on July 10th and cannot wait to see the final results.

So anyway, I agree with you...I think, as of lately, he is underrated. IMO, he is definitely one of the best. And, he is a very nice and professional guy with a great staff.

Randy