Leave the crown alone ?

Surfarosa

I have had a couple doctors suggest starting some crown work but it scares the hell out of me as I'm really concerned that I've already had 3000 single hair graphs in my hairline.

I'm nearly 36 and have been losing my hair since I was 20. Luckily I got on Proscar, then Propecia & now Avodart. I will post a pic of my crown 10 years ago after this.

The thing is my crown is the dead give away as I have dark hair and a white scalp - it's what screams hair-loss - my hairline just looks mature.

As for how thin I am, that's the really difficult part as my hair is very fine. When I compare to the safe zones its quite hard to tell a difference. I can make any part of my head look thin due to my hair characteristics.

5b32ca61f1c25_Topdown-01.jpg.72700fd5e1f39bd6c95b38f75a2d2e17.jpg

5b32ca6213b9c_Topdown-02.jpg.389ece51b9b4d2f9f05d28f84033aaad.jpg

5b32ca622d90a_Topdown-03.jpg.fd4dfa2964632167ce95e8fbe9ce4596.jpg

5b32ca62634db_Topdown-04.jpg.5a2253cf290ae5009bda6bcc9a8a8c00.jpg

Surfarosa,

In my opinion, I would not touch the crown at this point. Frankly, I think your hair looks great and, if it really bothers you, there's always Toppik or another concealer.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I'm posting this to show the effects of getting on Propecia early. I got on it in 1998 I think (I bought Proscar online). In 2007/8 I really felt it was losing it's efficacy & got on Avodart. Avodart seemed to really take the baton from Propecia and I had zero side effects.

I hope this is useful. Just learned how to post pics and I have a library form many years !

I'm going to concur with David on this one... your crown barely looks like it's thinning. I'd wait until a lot more scalp shows through to do anything.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks for the advice guys. Concealers are not a viable option for me as I live in bright sunshine year round. A thinning crown is kinda OK with me these days. It hurt in my early 20s but I feel it's somewhat stable & matches the rest of my thinning. Hopefully the meds will continue to be my friend. Also, without concealer the white bits can tan and that improves the appearance by taking away the "white flash" of skin !

Hairline & front 2/3 must be the sacred grail IMHO.

hello surfarosa,i would have to say your hair looks completely fine and to risk any kind procedure imo would a risk just not worth takeing,leave well anoth alone and stay on the med's as they seem to be working great for you,all the best and have a nice day.....

Your crown looks almost mint! I'd definitely just keep swallowing pills and crossing fingers. :D

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Unless you look way worse in person than in those pics, I agree with the guys above.

I personally like doing the front. 80% of our cases are fronts. The customer gets to see what they paid for without 2 or 3 mirrors... and on the crown, the hair splays out in lots of directions, leaving a central point that looks thin no matter your age. Even kids, unless they have really thick bushy hair, have the appearance of thinner crown coverage than anywhere else, simply because of the natural layering effect elsewhere on the scalp.

Finally, when guys come in and want to do both, I almost always use the analogy of a car. If you have a dent in your hood, or bird crap on your hood, you'll likely wash it off or repair it as you see it all the time. But most folks aren't real worked up if their back bumper has a dent on it, or the bumper stickers are fading. They simply don't see it. The guy behind them in traffic sees it but keeps his mouth shut. Same with crowns, the people behind you at the movies or church see you're thinning, but it likely doesn't bother them as much as it does the person thinning, as compared to a person with a thinning front feeling as if people are looking at their shiny cranium due to thinning or recession up front.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

i totally agree with Dr Lindsey. Besides, recession at the frontal makes u look much older compared to thinning at the crown. Besides, u can spray some toppik on the crown easily and ready to go. For the front, it will nvr look natural under harsh light. I have used nanogen and toppik for a few yrs and nvr find myself looking normal under harsh light. Of cos u can argue that its the same case for the crown but i m glad i m tall comparatively to my peers so i guess it will be so obvious should i conceal my crown

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

It looks as if your crown has actually improved since your 2002 procedure! I think you can hold onto what you have and just transplant the front.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Your crown from 2002 looks almost exactly like mine does now. The resemblance is uncanny, except for my hair being a slightly lighter color.

I'm on finasteride and I'd be absolutely thrilled with results even half as good as yours!

Save your money!! Your crown looks great - looking at the pics, it has not changed that much in the years between pics. :):)

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

Nice post, Doc. I would also agree with everyone on this thread and say that it looks fine. Is there family history of a thinning crown? If so, then monitor it, but don't make any emotional decisions right now.

Ditto on the crown. It's fine.

What I'm surprised about however is that no one caught on to this...

"I have had a couple doctors suggest starting some crown work but it scares the hell out of me as I'm really concerned that I've already had 3000 single hair graphs in my hairline."

3000 single hair graphs? How does this happen assuming you had a strip in 2002? Back then maybe two doctors were doing FUE and neither were doing 3000 grafts. Hell, in 2002 very few strip doctors were doing 3000 grafts, us being among them.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dude, my crown is worse then that and docs have suggested I let it be since it's thinning but putting hairs on it may do it more harm right now since it isn't that bad. Your crown looks normal. I wouldn't even consider you needing anything for it at this moment.

Ditto on the crown. It's fine.

What I'm surprised about however is that no one caught on to this...

"I have had a couple doctors suggest starting some crown work but it scares the hell out of me as I'm really concerned that I've already had 3000 single hair graphs in my hairline."

3000 single hair graphs? How does this happen assuming you had a strip in 2002? Back then maybe two doctors were doing FUE and neither were doing 3000 grafts. Hell, in 2002 very few strip doctors were doing 3000 grafts, us being among them.

I've had 3 HTs Jotronic (all strip). BTW - enjoyed meeting your buddy in LA today. He suggested you and I would have some interesting conversations !

hey jotronic,

Do you find that a lot of people have same concerns? If you have a difference of of opinion with your doctor, should you bring that up?

At what point do we have to "trust" those doctors? (this is the stage where I am at).

Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely you should bring up a discrepancy in planning to your doctor PREOP!

To not discuss this will result in you being less satisfied, feeling swindled (even if no swindling occurred), and possibly with the wrong treatment plan to deal with your concerns.

On occasion patients ask for something that is not right for them, but most can be educated with a fairly simple conversation....not brainwashed. If something doesn't make sense to you that the doctor is telling you preop, consider an opinion from a different doctor. Note that I am saying if you don't get it explained well, see someone else. I sometimes tell prospective patients something they don't like, or what I won't do, but I try to make it very clear why I am saying what I am. For example, if someone wants to sprinkle a bunch of hair into a mildly thinning area, I'll refuse as I don't think its in their interest...yet. Or a young fellow wanting a low forehead...which will look goofy when he's 50.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians