HT Costs

I was just wondering what the general trend in HT costs has been, and how quickly it is moving in that direction. The techniques have become more refined, but I believe HT's are still becoming cheaper as they have become more popular this century.

I must say tho that I started reading about HT's maybe 7 yrs ago, and it doesn't seem like a ton has changed. Am I wrong? How soon do you think further reductions in price will come?

I could be wrong, but I don't think much will change with the current strip, fue techniques that we have (unless of course hair cloning/multiplication becomes a concrete reality). It seems that the price won't really change too much because you're still paying for a difficult procedure, the technicians, etc.

They are still stupidly expensive

Yeah, I was prepared (was I?) to pay 30 Canadian dollars per graft to have a VIP session (only one session per day!) with the surgeon I considered to be the best... :rolleyes:

Fortunately, there are now some cheaper options on the table. ;)

Edited by CopaSurfer

I look at it this way.... at least we have the option. What if there WERE no hair transplantation? It would either be hairpiece or bald :mad:

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr. Path's profit margin has to be higher than that of the US and Europe based physicians. While he charges less, the cost of living in Thailand is lower, and the exchange favors the euro and the dollar over the Baht. I'm in no way attacking Dr. Path, I'm just saying that he can maintain a quality of life or a standard of living that is on par with the other physicians, while charging his patients less.

TC, back to demand supply question. There is no second guess that Bangkok has a lower cost of living but thats his advantage. Nobody can question a physician's charges. No physician is pointing a gun at anybody. If u like it, accept it, if not, carry on with your life.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I dont think hair transplants are expensive compared to other surgery, lets compare for example a HT with a breast enlargement which is one of the most commonly performed procedures.

A HT will take (referring to a strip) 6 - 8 hours of the doctors time on average, including designing the hairline, talking the patients through the procedure and etc... the surgeon will also need 4-6 assistants (who get paid well if they are any good) on average and the premises where the hair transplant is done will need the same strict requirements as other surgical procedure (Care quality Commission registered in the UK and similar in other countries, they pay very high premium on Malpractice insurance and so on). So far so good, average price 5 - 6.000 for a big procedure and thats the income for the day.

A Breast Implant might be slightly cheaper with a average price of 4 - 5.000 but will only take the surgeon 2 hours maximum and he will only need two assistants, he is able to do 4-5 implants a day with lower cost occured, taking in 16.000 - 25.000 for the day. (not to mention how much more fun it must be looking at womens breasts compared to bald heads :).

So when compared and the number crunched I have to disagree with the price being to high, I think its quite competitive over the line, but of course there are a few clinics who overcharge.

• 2 weeks later...

Transplant costs vary greatly. There is no fixed standard set of prices. I have seen $1 grafts to over $10 per graft, for both FUE and Strip. Every doctor is different, I guess it depends on the quality of the result. A well known doctor would charge higher fees then one that just started up or not known. It's supply and demand. When demand goes up and people start appreciating a doc, the price goes up. When the demand is low, they can't charge high prices as they will not have as many customers.

Internationally, yes, if you are a customer from North America , you might get more hair for the buck there, or vice versa. That also depends on the cost of living in other countries.

Like doctors in Turkey, may be able to get cheaper assistants due to their wages, they can do less expensive transplants.

Then you go to USA, and take a doctor in Hollywood or something, and then see how much his or her assistants salary costs. It drives up the rates.

It depends if the doctors cater to international patients only or patients mostly from their own region. Not everyone can pay for the transplant if they live there due to the cost of living. But international ones with higher valued currencies, can afford it with ease and yet still make out better deals then surgeries in their own towns maybe?

Every doctor on this forum that is recommended has different prices, some very low to some that maybe considered high. Look at where they are located too. Location does determine it, but then again if they cater to only international patients or a mix or mostly their own. Regardless, I like it when the prices for each patient is the same for another patient from across the globe.

But there are new and coming doctors that have crazy results, that are driving competition with lower prices. That can be a threat. Due to the economy, prices are forced to be reduced and those that can offer high quality transplants at lower fees would get the most business.

Edited by Sean