Virginia Surgical Center

Rhino3

I received 2500 graphs from the Virginia surgical center. I have seen no sign of hair whatsoever. There is no reason in my case why the graphs should not take, no stress, no disturbing the graphs. I have been on propecia the whole time. I actually lost hair right after the procedure that has not grown back. It gets worse. I went for a check up and the person who I met with looked at my head and said he saw "peppering" signs that the hair was coming through the skin. I have had several others look and no one sees ANYTHING! If I find out there is fraud involved, I will bring a law suit. I happen to be an attorney and I am not afraid to take action if appropriate. I would like to locate others who may have been ripped off. I would ask others to identify themselves if they have had similar experience. It might be appropriate to bring a class action suit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received fewer grafts at VSC than was recommended for economic reasons. I will follow-up with VSC for further consultation because my initial reaction to them as posted on 09-09-2010 has been the only direct source of information that I have and that was an experience that was very positive. My recommendation to anyone looking for HT is to talk directly to people who may be doing the procedure and VSC should be on your list.

Edited by CBN

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I had the surgery done with the VA Surgical Center in April of 2010. This is my second surgery; my first was with Medical Hair Restoration.

I had about 2500 grafts, asking for quite a bit of density in the hairline area and front of the scalp.

It has been over 18 months and you can see my scalp. The hair is not dense like I was hoping it would be.

I paid $6500 for the procedure.

When I went back for follow up, the first time they told me it would take about a year since I had the surgery in the past; that the hair would take longer to come in because of previous scare tissue. However, they did not tell me this info initially. They stated it would take only 3 - 4 months before I would see hair growing in.

Then I go back after 13 months, and they stated it would take more like 18-20 months for the hair to start growing. Well here it is, over 18 months and I don't have a full head of hair as promised.

They also told me they could see "little dots", that my hair is growing in.

They stated they would graft more hair if the hair does not grow; that they guarantee their work.

Well, if the hair did not grow the first time, why would it grow with another grafting?

I feel I am getting the run around. What can be done from this point forward?

Has anyone else had this experience?

or, have you had the postive experience of having your hair grow in a 20 months?

does it really take this long if you have had grafts before?

Thanks.

Hi Ripped,

I am not sure if you saw this reply below. My experience with VSC has been negative.

"I had the surgery done with the VA Surgical Center in April of 2010. This is my second surgery; my first was with Medical Hair Restoration.

I had about 2500 grafts, asking for quite a bit of density in the hairline area and front of the scalp.

It has been over 18 months and you can see my scalp. The hair is not dense like I was hoping it would be.

I paid $6500 for the procedure.

When I went back for follow up, the first time they told me it would take about a year since I had the surgery in the past; that the hair would take longer to come in because of previous scare tissue. However, they did not tell me this info initially. They stated it would take only 3 - 4 months before I would see hair growing in.

Then I go back after 13 months, and they stated it would take more like 18-20 months for the hair to start growing. Well here it is, over 18 months and I don't have a full head of hair as promised.

They also told me they could see "little dots", that my hair is growing in.

They stated they would graft more hair if the hair does not grow; that they guarantee their work.

Well, if the hair did not grow the first time, why would it grow with another grafting?

I feel I am getting the run around. What can be done from this point forward?

Has anyone else had this experience?

or, have you had the postive experience of having your hair grow in a 20 months?

does it really take this long if you have had grafts before?

Thanks."

Dr. Lindsey is the only one in Virginia I would trust my hair to.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Ripped, lastgutguy, and Rhino,

I am unable to send a message directly to you. Would you be willing to email me so we can talk more about your experiences with VSC? Please email: jowie@aol.com; and I will email back.

It's important we talk further. Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Jowie.

• 2 months later...

It seems to me that a couple Junior Members may be tag-teaming against Virginia Surgical Center (like re-posting negative comments), although I don't know why. That's not to say that some people haven't been satisfied with the results they have received. It seems a bit coincidental having them going back and forth while so many like myself have a lot of positive input. But, "elective surgery" is all about emotions and how you picture yourself in the eyes of others. It is naturally a highly subjective, touchy subject.

Personally and briefly...I had VSC do 2500 grafts 9 months ago. After my work, the scalp never looked as bad as I had feared. In fact, within a month, I was not wearing my traditional ball cap and even my own family didn't know that anything had been done. As an actor, I am hyper sensitive about how I look because it determines (to a great extent) what work I get offered!

At this time, the scar is invisible. I can't find it with my fingers or a mirror. Even my regular hair dresser (who does know because I confided with her) says she doesn't see it anymore. I am really pleased with that. BTW, I had Dr. Beth Jordan.

As for growth...I actually lost some more of my own hair at first and was frustrated, but after 6 months was noticing increased volume. Today (9 months in), rather than looking like a man who has lost most of his hair on top, I would say I look more like a man starting to loose his hair.A huge improvement! TVSC points out that my hair has not finished filling in.

Stress was indeed a factor for me having recently (at the time)both having lost my job and having to take care of my elderly mother who broke her hip!

As far as Virginia Surgical Center vs others, all I can say from experience is that I researched on-line and in-person for several years before I decided to take the plunge. VSC totally surpassed my expectations of their quality of work, professional service, even price.

One post mentioned that VSC had fired someone for undercutting prices and creating a market for return business. I heard that also, but that the person was said to have been offering the work outside VSC at a better price. To me it is a Positive reflection on VSC that they caught this unethical behavior and booted the culprit.

I look forward to the next few months as my hair continues to fill in. And, If I were to do this all over again, I would definitely choose Virginia Surgical Center. Highly Recommended!:)

• 2 months later...

Rhino 3

I had a procedure performed at the Virgina Surgical Center 2 years ago. I'm going to have another procedure performed at VSC this year. My first procedure was done at Medical Hair Restoration in 2006. It was for 1983 grafts. The procedure at VSC 2 years ago was for only 900 grafts.

I'm going to have a procedure of 2700 grafts later this year at VSC. As you mentioned, you can't beat the $2 cost for repeat customers. It makes a TREMENDOUS difference in terms of the amount of grafts you can have placed in the thinning and balding spots.

As for my experience with VSC, I've seen hair growth. The hair growing process seemed to take longer after the VSC procedure than it did after MHR's procedure. Ironically, after the MHR procedure I was swollen around the eyes with discoloration as well. That didn't occur after the VSC procedure. The VSC personnel said it was because MHR and a lot of hair restoration companies utilize saline products during the procedure and VSC does not.

Maybe it's a cost saving measure. I don't know. But, I certainly wasn't looking distorted days later after the VSC procedure, unlike the MHR procedure.

I'm not sure if anyones post on this thread is legit anymore...but if you are looking for a great doctor in Virginia , look up Dr Lindsey. he has results you can actually see for yourself . Do not mess around when it comes to hair transplants...thats my only advice.

The so-called criteria for membership on this site is a joke. ANYBODY who is even semi-aware of how these sites work know that the doctors recommended her PAY to be recommended here.

Don't believe the hype. Do your own reserach. Talk to your doctors. Inspect their results. Talk to their patients and make your own, informed decision.

Don't pay attention to the shills here that make you afraid to go with any doctor who isn't paying for space on this site.

trimgoose,

You are a brand new poster and clearly have biases against this patient community and our high standards for recommending physicians. Thus, I can only assume that you're not a genuine patient poster but rather a representative of a physician or clinic that's not currently recommended by our community.

Only a select few posters on this website represent clinics and they are required to disclose their affiliation with their clinic in their forum signature. If you represent a hair transplant clinic, you too are required to do the same. But the vast majority of our members are patients sharing their genuine experiences and opinions.

Unlike some hair restoration websites that take advertising money from any physician who wants to buy a listing, only physicians who meet our high standards for recommendation are invited to become a recommended sponsor. While our recommendations aren't an exhaustive list of all the best hair transplant surgeons in the world, just like a top university who only admits the brightest students, only physicians with a proven record of producing excellent results consistently are approved for recommendation. The fact that physicians recommended on the Hair Transplant Network pay a sponsorship fee to support our patient based community in the same way a student pays tuition money to attend a top university is also no secret. All of this information is clearly laid out on our selection standards page. To see how we recommend physicians, click here.

Physicians and clinics are welcome to respond to any and all topics that concern them. But we will not tolerate members posting knowingly false information about our community which is in violation of our terms of service.

Best Regards,

Bill

I had the procedure almost 2 years ago at VSC and all I can say is that the surgery did not solve my hair problem. I still have no hair but in addition to that I have a scar in the back as a bonus. The staff at VSC was great but the surgery results are not very good. I don't think I got what I was promissed and If I knew what the results would be like I would have reconsidered.

The staff promised results every time I went back for a check up. The results that they promised never came.

I am considering getting another transplant done but with a different doctor.

• 3 months later...

I did 3500 grafts (maximum one day session) with VSC 18 months ago. The result thus far is very very poor. I do not see any noticeable difference. I am not sure even few hundred grafts were regrown. Not sure even they gave me 3500 grafts. Only few hair grown here and there. VSC has failed my transplant miserably for sure. I certainly feel wasted my more than $7K.

Edited by samalone

• 3 months later...

I just had my 3rd transplant with VSC. The first was for 2000 and second was for 2200. Needless to say, I have been very satisfied, which is the reason I just had my third. If this one goes as well as my first two, I will be a very happy man.

Other than the usual advice I noticed that NOT sleeping on the transplanted area produces even better results (which is why I sleep on my back now). During both of my first two transplants, the results started to show after 2-3 month and ends around 12-13 month with the most noticeable growth around 6-8 month.

• 3 months later...

I just scheduled a consultation with Virginia Surgical Center in Virginia Beach.

I noticed a lot of bad reviews in this thread and I'm considering cancelling the consultation.

Question: Is everyone referring to the Virginia Surgical Center in Virginia beach, or is the negative reviews also concerning the office in Northern VA???

They are the same company. My procedure was done in Northern Virginia. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share my experience any further, but I urge you to read through this thread again, to do your research -- and don't let cost be your determining factor. You'll pay the price for a bad decision down the road...

I went to Dr. Rahal to have 2,000 grafts placed on my hairline, directly over where my original 1,500 grafts were placed, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

• 3 months later...

Count them... I have had TWO procedures done before finally giving Virginia Surgical Center a try. After I had scheduled my consultation I discovered this site. I printed out the bad reviews and the young lady that did my consultation got up and walked around the desk and came back with a HUGE stack of folders.

She more than proved that the reviews here were B.S. and also showed me where on other sites THE SAME PERSON pretty much copied and pasted the same review. Shame on the owners of this site for not paying closer attention to what is going on.

I personally made the mistake of not getting enough grafts the first time and I was not happy with the results that I received. I blamed it on the company that did the procedure. I went to Virginia Surgical Center and they told me like it was. They actually said that the company that did it DID DO A GREAT JOB the problem was they did not do enough grafts!!!!

THE COMPANY NEVER TOLD ME THAT!!!!

The staff at Virginia Surgical Center took the time to educate me on what to expect, as well as what I should do! I like that... They were not pushy, they were not just trying to close the deal. I felt as if they cared about me and what was best for me. It was a no-brainer I had them do my procedure and I must say I never looked better besides the gray hairs (I do not think they can help me there... Or maybe they can?!?)

Either way my fellow hair loss sufferers I highly recommend that you do your homework. Go in for the free consultation (to whichever company you choose). Ask to see proof of their work, ask to "speak" to a few clients.

NEVER GO IN BLIND AND TRUSTING THE PERSON ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DESK.

DO... YOUR... HOMEWORK!!!

She more than proved that the reviews here were B.S. and also showed me where on other sites THE SAME PERSON pretty much copied and pasted the same review. Shame on the owners of this site for not paying closer attention to what is going on.

billgrey,

While I can't comment on whether a particular review/testimonial is genuine or not (nor are we legally required to), seeing the same review/testimonial on various forums is not proof that it's not genuine. There are multiple forums and thus, multiple venues for patients to share their experiences. This forum allows genuine patients to share their legitimate experiences good or bad regardless of the physician/clinic.

If Virginia Surgical Center truly has evidence that a particular post or poster is not genuine, we are willing to investigate the matter and may potentially remove the post(s) and/or poster(s) if proof is sufficient. Furthermore, we invite Virginia Surgical to join in the debate and respond to any post or poster they're concerned about.

If you are a genuine patient, I encourage you to share your own experience and photos on this forum rather than get involved in the politics of which other posters may or may not be genuine.

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill 1) thank you for responding it is greatly appreciated. I enjoy being apart of many communities online (not just talking about hair restoration). As far as what is fact or not fact I just found it odd as I was doing my research to see THE EXACT same comments copied and pasted several times. In fact some of your own users on this form have talked about the legitimacy of some of the statements on this forum.

I don't have a dog in this fight either way, was just making a comment which I do hope I am allowed to do in this community. As far as photos I think it is a great idea and will gather up a few.

I do agree with VSC should dive into the discussion, however when I recommended that to them, the young lady said they are swamped and have plans on opening another location. Have you ever personally invited them?

I think the diverse opinions is what makes this thread interesting personally. Either way thanks for responding bill and i am looking forward to your next response.

billgrey,

Thanks for your response. The publishers of this community can't be the arbitrator of all truth. Ultimately, we provide a venue for patients to share their genuine opinions, experiences and photos. Given the real time nature of this discussion forum, we can't and don't vouch for or warranty the accuracy or usefulness of any message - nor are we legally required to. This is covered in our terms of use.

However, in the interest of fairness, on the rare occasion when proof has been provided that a particular post or poster isn't genuine, we've removed their comments and posting privileges. Moreover, clnics are always invited to join in and respond to any comments they disagree with. I was in touch with Virginia Surgical Center in the past regarding a previous concern and I believe I did invite them to join in on any topic they felt concerned them.

As a patient, you are certainly free to share your own experience and photos however, I suggest doing it in your own topic to maximize the number of responses you receive.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 4 months later...

Looking at this site made me afraid of getting a HT and I had put it off for a few years. Then after looking in the mirror one morning I figured it was time to revisit the idea and to do some more research. I ran across this forum and seen that Washington Medical Hair Center received positive reviews. I am now 100% positive that most of those reviews were fake. The professionalism at this company was horrible.

I figured since the majority of people that were praising WMC were also tongue in cheek bashing Virginia Surgical Center I decided to do a little research on them. I was a bit surprise since nothing negative that I have read on this site did I find truthful. The site wasn't the best that I had ever seen but it was more professional than most. The images on the site were no different than any other before and afters that I have seen.

Anyway I decided to give them a shot, and although they were not the cheapest in the local market they were able to achieve incredible results for me.

• 4 months later...

I had surgery at this location 2 years ago and it was a mess. I paid them thousands of dollars and none of the things they promised came true. The doctor wasn't even involved in any part of my surgery:mad:. Everything from the initial consultation to the surgery itself and followup appointments were all done by other people. My initial consultation was done by a business manager with no medical experience, my FUE surgery was done by people who weren't certified hair transplant nurses and the follow up was again done by Patrick Reynolds :mad:a business manager with no medical experience. They damaged my hair and left me to deal with lost money, insane migraine headaches and having to go bald because the donor area and recipient area bot looked like horrible:mad:. I eventually went to Dr Diep( He offers an out of state fee which is cheaper and is involved in every aspect of the procedure) for another FUE and 6 months later my hair growing. Virginia Surgical Center(**outside link removed**) which also goes by the name Washington Medical Hair Clinics(**outside link removed**) is a fraud what ever you do DO NOT get an FUE at this location.

Edited by Michael78920