Virginia Surgical Center

Rhino3

All,

I had about 1500 grafts done at the Virginia Medical Center 15 months ago -- all in the temple region/hairline, and the results are disappointing thus far. What little hair has come in is still wispy and immature. My donor scar, however, looks great. The doctor said the results might be from some stress I've endured over the past year, and that I will see the results I'm looking for over time. He wants to do a megasession soon to fill in the first HT and work on my crown in the meantime. I'm obviously conflicted...

I haven't found any bad reviews of the VSC, but also haven't heard anything good about someones final results. I am tempted to go back to them in hopes that my first HT was an anomaly and because they have the most affordable costs I've been able to find anywhere -- $3 per graft in the first session and $2 per graft for repeat customers.

I've checked with other HT docs and can't find rates this low anywhere else. Does anyone have any intel on the VSC, or know of anyone, anywhere, who has a good reputation and charges rates this low?

I know Dr. Lindsey in McLean is highly regarded, but his rates are just a bit much for my tight budget right now. Surely there is a reputable doc somewhere in the country that can match VSC prices?

Responses appreciated!! Thanks...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino3,

I have personally not heard anything about the Virginia Medical Center (positive or negative). However, I'm not sure you should let cost greatly influence where you receive your hair transplant procedure. Trust me, I understand that finances are important and that a hair restoration procedure can be a significant investment. However, it is usually more cost effective to undergo one, state-of-the-art hair transplant procedure than selecting an option based solely on cost and paying for repair cases at a later date.

Before booking your second procedure, I highly recommend reviewing our recommend hair transplant surgeons. I think a consultation with one of these physicians will really help add some perspective and effectively move forward. Additionally, Dr. Lindsey is an excellent surgeon and comes highly recommended by our community. I think consulting with his clinic would definitely be a good idea.

Please, feel free to ask any additional questions. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the response. I did go in to see a doc recommended on this site, and he said it was hard to tell if the reason I'm not seeing great results is because of a poor transplant or because of my physiology -- both the VSC and this doctor said it is possible that I'm someone who just doesn't respond well to hair transplants. I also wonder if I was scratching my head in my sleep the during the first week after the procedure and possibly damaged the newly inserted follicles -- I remember my head being very itchy.

It's hard to tell what exactly the problem is -- maybe it's possible that I'm just a late bloomer, although 13 months seems like a long time. I plan to keep researching and seeing what I can find, but I think I'm probably going to end up making a gut decision -- give the VSC a 2nd chance in hopes that I can save some money, or foot a much larger bill in hopes that I'll see better results.

Thanks again...

Also, since the doctor just strips from the donor area and leaves, aren't the results more a reflection the staff who are actually transplanting the hairs than the doctor himself? VSC has very experienced staff., all non-MD's who have more experience than the doctor himself in HT's.

Rhino3, no doctor on this site will do an HT that cheaply. Ht's are too damn expensive if you ask me. They SHOULD be $3 a graft. I feel bad you have poor results but as you just said you haven't seen any great results from VSC so why did you rush into it?

Their website looks crappy to me. One womans before pics look better than her afters. Maybe someone will chime in that knows more about them.

I don't understand what makes doctors on this site superior to doctors who aren't (?). I don't know how this industry works, but I know that I've worked in industries that claim to have some "elite professionals" listed on a website but it's really just a bunch of smoke. Not saying that's the case here -- I just don't know any better. Also, when the doctors are approved on these websites, is the staff thoroughly evaluated as well? Since they actually perform the HT it seems like this would be important.

I didn't rush into my first HT -- I did some research and visited with VSC several times, as well as several other doctors, some of whom were listed on this site, and they didn't discourage me from going to VSC. I ultimately chose VSC to save money and because they seemed to be experienced professionals. They showed me some good before and after pictures of past patients and were confident that they could help me. They explained that the reason you don't hear much about them is because they don't advertise much -- which makes sense considering their low rates probably make for a limited spending ability.

I'm still not sure if VSC is a hack shop or not -- I've done some more research and found some good reviews and some bad. I also know of a bad transplant from Dr. Lindsey's office (so bad in fact that the patient wanted to sue) and I believe Dr. Lindsey might be the best HT doc in Virginia. It seems like sometimes HT's just don't go as well as expected for whatever reason. Not sure if something about my physiology doesn't allow for me to be a good recipient or if I got a bum procedure -- but I'd like to figure it out before deciding what my next move will be!

Rhino3,

To learn about the criteria we use to recommend hair restoration physicians, click here.

To read about the standards of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians, click here.

Pat Hennessey, the publisher of this community has literally traveled the world visiting clinics in person and evaluating not only the work of the doctors but also the technicians. You can read his reports in the forum, Visits to Leading Hair Transplant Clinics.

Your decision to proceed or not to proceed with a second procedure should be based on your confidence in your hair transplant doctor and not what he charges per graft. I know money doesn't grow on trees. Believe me, I'm not wealthy and neither are the majority of the members on the board I would venture to guess. But, as Blake pointed out, a bad hair transplant can be much more costly down the road than paying $1 more per graft for a great one.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Taking the Plunge, thanks for the info and advice. Sorry I haven't done what now looks like some basic and easy research -- I don't have much free time and am a rookie here!
This is something that requires a minimal of six months of research, perhaps years, it is an expensive and permanent procedure that must be done right the first time.

Unfortunately there are few top tier doctors in the field, less than 10, this site itself although better than the open field of unchecked people on-line and beyond is NOT infallible and not all surgeons are created equal.

Make sure the doctor you do pick is in a western country, preferably North America, able to show you dozens of cases of successful procedures with air loss that is similar to your own, does good scar closure and is not over 5 bucks per graft but likely no less than three.

Do half a dozen consults, minimal, get to know the lingo and what questions to ask of a doctor.

You need at the very least six options to consider, narrow it down from there based on your criteria.

Never let travel or expense be the number one priority or else you'll end up traveling and spending more long term if you don't choose wisely the first time.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I concur with that,Speegs.

Rhino, do not simply decide on any surgeon just because u have no time. I am sure if HL bothers u that much, u will have time to do research. If u do not reserve some time for research, then probably HL does not affect u that much and maybe u should not undergo the surgery as it does cost quite a bit, not to mention the downtime among other inconveniences!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Thanks for the advice. The research I was referring to related to figuring out how the website worked, not on HT docs, although I haven't met the standards you guys suggest for that either. I've only been able to find one doc that charges less than $5 per graft (the doc I went to for my first HT). The results aren't great after 13 months. Can you guys recommend anyone?

Thanks for the advice. The research I was referring to related to figuring out how the website worked, not on HT docs, although I haven't met the standards you guys suggest for that either. I've only been able to find one doc that charges less than $5 per graft (the doc I went to for my first HT). The results aren't great after 13 months. Can you guys recommend anyone?
The most affordable and GOOD for what they do are Alexander and Konior.

Feller and Hasson and Wong are more expensive, good too but in my opinion not any better than Alexander and Konior.

Alexander is 4 bucks a graft, konior charges on a scale of volume.

10k for 2500 grafts with Alexander, 11k for 2500 grafts with Konior 13k for 2500 grafts with Hasson or Wong, Feller would cost about 12k.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Rhino, i see u are from Northen Virginia, hence it probably makes no sense to travel out to Asia.

However, in case u want to know, Dr Pathomvanich from Thailand ( he did my surgery ) charges at 2/graft. He is a recommended physician here and there are loads of information about him in this forum and there are plenty of patients (including myself ) to refer to!

Ultimately u should feel comfortable with your doc, and costs, no doubt is a major issue, should not be the main issue.

As for Dr Alexander, i personally did not research much as i am from Asia, but as far as i know, he produces extremely satisfying results. David ( aka Take the plunge ) is a good person to talk to if u are considering Dr Alexander

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Just to add my 2 cents, I went with Konior and had 5200 grafts over 2 procedures and paid exactly $4.21 per graft. I was supposed to get 2500 in my first pass for $11,900 but Dr. Konior put in 2800 with no extra charge. He gave me about 400 extra the second time as no extra cost too. Apparently, he almost always give you more than you pay for. And as I've said before, everything I paid was well worth it. He does really good work.

Make sure the doctor you do pick is in a western country, preferably North America, able to show you dozens of cases of successful procedures with air loss that is similar to your own, does good scar closure and is not over 5 bucks per graft but likely no less than three.

is there a reason why you say preferably to pick a doc in North America?

i've seen some great results from Dr. Keser and Dr. bisanga, both in Europe.

Since you're in Northern VA, you should have gone to Dr. Lindsey. He does impeccable work from what I've seen.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had my HT procedure done at VSC. It is way too early to determine results. However, the staff was great. They clearly are patient-focused. I didn't feel as though as was on a graft assembly line. They worked with me financially. If the results come close to their customer service, I will be very satisfied.

CBN, was this your first procedure? What are you comparing the customer service to? I get the feeling that most clinics offer good customer service -- it's kind of the nature of the business. At the end of the day, I think I'd take great results over good customer service.

Please please keep us posted on your results -- I'm anxious to hear more stories from VSC. Good luck...

• 4 months later...

I had a hair transplant in May of 2010 with VA Surgical. I like what I see so far but sometimes get worried. I wish it would thicken up. I am only 8 months into it. The Dr. in Mclain told me they the graphs did not take they would redo, and as they always say. It takes time. I am giving it a year before I worry to much.

Let me know how you are doing. Thanks.

Edited by vaughn81nc

• 6 months later...
All,

I had about 1500 grafts done at the Virginia Medical Center 15 months ago -- all in the temple region/hairline, and the results are disappointing thus far. What little hair has come in is still wispy and immature. My donor scar, however, looks great. The doctor said the results might be from some stress I've endured over the past year, and that I will see the results I'm looking for over time. He wants to do a megasession soon to fill in the first HT and work on my crown in the meantime. I'm obviously conflicted...

I haven't found any bad reviews of the VSC, but also haven't heard anything good about someones final results. I am tempted to go back to them in hopes that my first HT was an anomaly and because they have the most affordable costs I've been able to find anywhere -- $3 per graft in the first session and $2 per graft for repeat customers.

I've checked with other HT docs and can't find rates this low anywhere else. Does anyone have any intel on the VSC, or know of anyone, anywhere, who has a good reputation and charges rates this low?

I know Dr. Lindsey in McLean is highly regarded, but his rates are just a bit much for my tight budget right now. Surely there is a reputable doc somewhere in the country that can match VSC prices?

Responses appreciated!! Thanks...

I have had Va Surgical do my work also 1 year ago. I was very unsatisfied with my results and they have since given me 1000 more grafts, but they admit it will not fix my problem. I have sent letters to the FTC and the Attorney General today hoping that they will deliver the results they promised. I'm looking for more people who are unhappy with their work. They had a former employee they admitted to letting go because he was low-balling clients in order to have them come back for touch up sessions. This is an illegal practice used by many transplant companies including Bosley. I paid nearly $4000 dollars and I had to take additional time off work for their repeat session. I get headaches from my new scar and my scalp is red from the procedure one year ago as if I slept in a bowl of kool-aid. I feel cheated out of my time and money!!!